• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

Kaffei

Smash Hero
What are our best OoS options against close range pressure (think Sheik fairing or Kirby dair stuff)

U-smash OoS? Roll? What else

diclonyuus

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna post this in the Q&A thread because I really don't know if this is known or not,

yesterday I had problems with Rosa's UP-B, since you change the angle by holding back or forward, and I kept B-Reversing it when I wanted it to go straight up (which, of course, takes the stock right then and there).

I actually sat down and tried to find a way for myself to not b-reverse this move anymore, and I did.
It also seems pretty simple, which is why I'm hesitant to say that this could be unknown...
Just press B twice. The input for Rosalina facing right looks like this:

:GCU::GCB::GCB::GCL:

I've not been able to B-Reverse this move ever since, but maybe someone with faster fingers than me could debunk this.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
I'm gonna post this in the Q&A thread because I really don't know if this is known or not,.
unknown to me! very cool.

So earlier today, I spotdodged Ganondorf's fsmash but since Luma can't dodge it still got hit. The resulting hitlag kept the hitbox going long enough that it lasted through the end of my invulnerability frames.

What's the preferred method for dealing with these type of moves?
dont spot dodge. unless youre solo. this is an issue with ganondorf's fair as well, be careful air dodging too. just shield it and dont count on punishing it.

NarukamiSSB

Smash Rookie
Out of the 3-5 characters I have trouble against in this game, Rosaluma takes #1. I cannot stand this character.

I'm not trying to trigger anyone, but I have the hardest time against this character. I can't seem to get around the Luma so I need help in this matchup. I rarely face this character so I have a hard time with the matchup practice. You can see my mains in my signature for reference.

Last edited:

lumamaster3000

Smash Rookie
So with Rosalina and Luma, I have this bad habit of spamming dash attack and upair. Dash attack is so quick and usually catches people off guard, and upair can lead to juggling or even KO (I have a hard time KOing with Rosalina). Usually these work against most of the friends I play, but there are some advanced players that beat me simply because I'm so predictable. I'm going to a Smash Tournament in about a month, and I'm not sure how to make it so that I'm less predictable with Rosaluma.... Any advice?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
So with Rosalina and Luma, I have this bad habit of spamming dash attack and upair. Dash attack is so quick and usually catches people off guard, and upair can lead to juggling or even KO (I have a hard time KOing with Rosalina). Usually these work against most of the friends I play, but there are some advanced players that beat me simply because I'm so predictable. I'm going to a Smash Tournament in about a month, and I'm not sure how to make it so that I'm less predictable with Rosaluma.... Any advice?

This is going to sound stupid but just... don't dash attack when you think you should dash attack. You can opt to walk toward them to threaten them with movement, you can dash > jab then dash away to see what they do idk

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Space an move around, place yourself so that ypur opponent has to respect every move you have and always replace dash attack with boost grab.

lumamaster3000

Smash Rookie
Ok. So I dont know how many actual Rosalina mains would be willing to help me out on this. But basically ive lost the last 3 tournaments ive entered to a Rosalina main, shes gone from just a character i did not like to a huge weakness for me. Im a Lucina/Marth main but all of my secondaries (Robin, Pac-Man and Falco) cant seem to do much against her either. Can anybody help me out or provide some tips on how to play more effectively against her in general or what charachters have a more favorable matchup against her?
I main Rosalina, and I have a hard time facing characters that have a sword, because of their counter, especially in air. If I try to do an ariel or anything, the other player will usually use the counter and I'll end up getting hit.

Hi Guys, quick question: What's the new Luma health value?
It was 52%, but it's now 48%.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Been kinda frustrated every time I face Rosa lately...
The damn luma keeps interrupting my throws.
What gives? I thought that was patched out?
How is it fair if Rosa can punish players for successfully punishing her by interrupting their throws with Luma?

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Luma in fact can't attack while she is thrown, only when she is grabbed, and of course not if the opponent uses a pummel with a hitbox.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Been kinda frustrated every time I face Rosa lately...
The damn luma keeps interrupting my throws.
What gives? I thought that was patched out?
How is it fair if Rosa can punish players for successfully punishing her by interrupting their throws with Luma?
In most cases, the Luma can't do anything to stop the opponent once he/she grabs Rosalina. Yes, it can attack, but that one attack hardly even hits the opponent. This is especially true against CPUs, since even before Smash 3DS's 1.0.4 update, I could never stop a CPU from throwing Rosalina with the Luma.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I main Rosalina, and I have a hard time facing characters that have a sword, because of their counter, especially in air. If I try to do an ariel or anything, the other player will usually use the counter and I'll end up getting hit.

It was 52%, but it's now 48%.

Jump at them and pretend like you're gonna do an aerial

o look they countered

then you aerial

easy

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
Jump at them and pretend like you're gonna do an aerial

o look they countered

then you aerial

easy
Alternatively, if they're countering on the ground, you can bait with, say, a dash attack, and then proceed to grab them when they counter.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
In most cases, the Luma can't do anything to stop the opponent once he/she grabs Rosalina. Yes, it can attack, but that one attack hardly even hits the opponent. This is especially true against CPUs, since even before Smash 3DS's 1.0.4 update, I could never stop a CPU from throwing Rosalina with the Luma.
Well that one attack happens to hit me every time.
What gives?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
What are some good ways to edgeguard with Rosa? Especially against those who like to recover low? I find myself letting said opponents come back onstage too easily, and I'm not aware of every option available.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
What are some good ways to edgeguard with Rosa? Especially against those who like to recover low? I find myself letting said opponents come back onstage too easily, and I'm not aware of every option available.
so many ways!

dair is great, like, you need to know who you're edge guarding, what their options are, how low they can go.
a lot of characters also have invincibility on their upB, like mario, so he can upB you early, but if you challenge him far enough away from the stage if he upBs early he dies, so you remove that option, forcing him to air dodge which you can predict.
you just need to be above him! if you're in front of him he can counter attack.

some cool tricks you can do vs sheik is like, if you know they're forced to use vanish to get back on stage just grab the ledge, right when you hear them use vanish, ledge drop , fall a itny bit and double jump dair and cover the edge with your dair halo. it will either spike or stage spike. works on zelda too, and palutena.'

i have a harder time edge guarding anyone with a tether though. and rosalina has a truly amazing ledge getup game, so sometimes it really is just better to stand a roll's distance away from the ledge, and jab luma forward to space it, and be ready to upsmash or whatever when they get up from the ledge. upsmash covers a lot of options, if not all, especially with fast reaction times.

a good timed ledge trump combos into backair, espsecially with luma, i'd say it's probably guaranteed on every member of the cast if you time the trump right, with luma. with just rosa im guessing it is character specific.

nair is pretty good too, rar nair off the stage and try to stage spike, i dunno, lots of stuff. there's tons more and it's one of my favorite things about rosalina, she can be very creative with her off stage game, you just gotta experiment with it and learn everyone's possible recoveries.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
What's the best way/what are your options to deal with Luigi's down throw comboes?
DI behind him, you'll only catch an uair/Bair, but it's better than the fair into regrabs. Don't do this at high percents, bair kills. Apparently you're supposed to DI d throw to cyclone down, I'm guessing SDI, I haven't checked that one out yet.

Eternal Blue Syaoran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueEternal
DI behind him, you'll only catch an uair/Bair, but it's better than the fair into regrabs. Don't do this at high percents, bair kills. Apparently you're supposed to DI d throw to cyclone down, I'm guessing SDI, I haven't checked that one out yet.
thank you. The ones I fought couldn't do regrabs that well. But the cyclone I couldn't deal with.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
thank you. The ones I fought couldn't do regrabs that well. But the cyclone I couldn't deal with.
let me know how the cyclone goes, i've only read about DI'ing it down, I don't know if it works or requires smash DI.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
let me know how the cyclone goes, i've only read about DI'ing it down, I don't know if it works or requires smash DI.
If the Luigi does it correctly it is inescapable, unfortunately. However, in the event that he does mess up, you mash down and away from Luigi

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
What are the best options after back throwing someone off stage?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Well that one attack happens to hit me every time.
What gives?
If Rosalina does an attack and is grabbed the next frame, Luma will still do its thing and break her free if it hits. Also, pummeling Rosalina repeatedly will give Luma a chance to attack, unless your character has a pummel that manages to hit Luma as well. Once you input a throw, you should be safe, unless once again Rosalina pressed a button at just the right moment in the few frames beforehand. Certain throws, such as Mario's back throw, can also hit Luma reliably as part of the animation and prevent shenanigans.

Generally speaking you just want to throw Rosalina ASAP without hesitation unless Luma is definitively not a threat (read: dead or somewhere else on the stage after Rosalina sent it out WITHOUT calling it back).

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
What matchups would Floaty Star Bit be a better choice over Shooting Star Bit be?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Its generally slower i think so the far reaching one is prob always the one to go.
2 situations that is in favor for the general starbit though is jump>side b from the edge towards the stage and as a combo followup since it does a little bit more damage.
Theres probably a few other uses that i dont know right now,

Last edited:

Dilanmcq

Smash Rookie
Ok so as a Rosa main i have trouble with some match ups i shouldn't...
I have no problems with most top theirs ( Shiek, Diddy, etc)
But characters like Link/Toon Link get me, yes i understand the gravitonal pull but I'm always almost puished by a spamy Link online.. This really should be in their favor at all but i just strugge with them.
Ness is also a problem, i can never seem to get my combos in or really win.
I am a tournament goer and almost always lose to these match ups... especially NESS. Any advice would be really helpful.
(Im referring to a FD state, battlefield and other gives rosa an advantage...)

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
How do you boost grab?
Dash, attack and then grab as fast as possible. I don't use X for anything on my gamecube controller, so I set mine to grab. I just slide my thumb from A to X

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I heard somewhere that uair, dair, and fair have transcendent priority.. Can anyone confirm this?

@ icraq icraq

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
I heard somewhere that uair, dair, and fair have transcendent priority.. Can anyone confirm this?

@ icraq icraq
Technically all aerials are transcendent from my understanding of the term. They cannot be clashed, but they will trade.
However, Rosa definitely has disjoints on those moves, where she has a hitbox out further than her own hurtbox.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Technically all aerials are transcendent from my understanding of the term. They cannot be clashed, but they will trade.
However, Rosa definitely has disjoints on those moves, where she has a hitbox out further than her own hurtbox.

Transcendent priority doesn't trade though, it just goes through everything. It's like Falco lasers

I wanna test it but I don't really know how to test it lol. I guess I will lab it out later

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Transcendent priority doesn't trade though, it just goes through everything. It's like Falco lasers

I wanna test it but I don't really know how to test it lol. I guess I will lab it out later
you're mostly right but here's another example of transcendent priority, metaknight's sword. i'll just quote the wiki:

• Meta Knight's f-smash is transcendent. If a pair of Meta Knights use their f-smash at the same time, and the f-smash hitboxes overlap each other, they will not collide, and their animations and damaging properties will continue until the attack ends naturally. If the two Meta Knights are close enough together, each will be hit by the other's f-smash.
so what this says is, metaknight's fsmash can't be clashed with, and their hitbox continues on, but if they both are clos eenough to each other, they'll both get hit by their opponent's fsmashes.

here's an example of how aerials work from the wiki

• If Sonic's b-air overlaps Mario's u-tilt, neither attack is cancelled, and both characters are hit by each other's attacks.
sounds familiar to the two metaknights right?

all transcendent priority does is says 'if this move collides with another move, it will not clash', well, every aerial in the game functions this way. rosalina just has giant ass disjoints on her aerials which i think gained her the reputation of having transcendent priority.

i learned all about this from the wiki, if i hadn't read this article i would have never learned it. i always assume priority was just some variable and transcendent attacks were op. http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Priority

Last edited:

Kaffei

Smash Hero
you're mostly right but here's another example of transcendent priority, metaknight's sword. i'll just quote the wiki:

so what this says is, metaknight's fsmash can't be clashed with, and their hitbox continues on, but if they both are clos eenough to each other, they'll both get hit by their opponent's fsmashes.

here's an example of how aerials work from the wiki

sounds familiar to the two metaknights right?

all transcendent priority does is says 'if this move collides with another move, it will not clash', well, every aerial in the game functions this way. rosalina just has giant *** disjoints on her aerials which i think gained her the reputation of having transcendent priority.

i learned all about this from the wiki, if i hadn't read this article i would have never learned it. i always assume priority was just some variable and transcendent attacks were op. http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Priority

Oh hmm I guess it is just since it's disjointed yeah

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
Hi I was wanting to know what are Rosalinas weaknesses as a character overall. I am wanting to use this info to determine my secondary to back her up.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Hi I was wanting to know what are Rosalinas weaknesses as a character overall. I am wanting to use this info to determine my secondary to back her up.
Rosa with Luma is top tier. When Rosa loses Luma she has a ton of terrible match ups. Not all, she can play defensive vs slow characters til Luma comes back. So the weakness would be, who can easily and safely kill Luma and be able to punish Rosa?
Some are pretty obvious:
Falcon, sheik, pika, toon link

So mostly fast characters, though not all. Some other characters like Link can kill Luma super easy, and Rob, but they're not a huge threat to Rollsalina if she loses Luma.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
To add on to icraq's post she's the 5th lightest character in the game while having a massive hurtbox.

She's also not that great at landing since she only really has her double jump and air dodge, while other characters such as Sheik, Diddy, Meta Knight, Pikachu, etc can use their other recovery moves to get back down to the ground

Top Bottom