• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Rosalina General/Social Thread: 2nd Edition

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I wish Rosalina still did "woooooooo" just like she did in Mario Kart Wii, that totes needs to be in Smash.

Zav22

Smash Cadet
This is the anniversary of Super Mario Odyssey art work and it looks great! Not to mention I also think this is the first time we see Cappy and Tiara in 2D style and its also been awhile since weve seen Pauline in 2D art work. Not only that but they even show a video of Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Pauline, Cappy, and Tiara all doing the dance Mario does whenever hes dancing to music, in this case to the karaoke version of Jump up Super Star!https://youtu.be/XajCHXvQF6Y

Last edited:

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
Well, that Final Smash Direct was something!

Now, this scene in particular... World of Light

So they either nerfed these characters hard or some of them just aren't doing their best. What's really funny is how Link's shield deflected the light while Palutena couldn't. Rosalina, in this case, along with Diddy, was disintegrated, just like that. We know for a fact that Rosalina can just teleport away from trouble, form an impenetrable barrier or even manipulate gravity to redirect the looming lights, but she just flies. There's also the fact that in her own Smash trailer, she surpassed Kirby's speed but Kirby survived here. It's kinda laughable, honestly, but I GUESS it's just another one of those plot holes for a story.

Rosalina Blasts Off.PNG

I guess I should take this lightly, I mean, at least she was shown. Realistically, it wouldn't have played out like that (unless she is holding back, which is likely more probable considering there's a wide array of options for her to escape these beams) but I guess all is fair in love and war.

Last edited:

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
From what people are saying, apparently a sequel is coming if the DLC won't work out. Also, here are more pictures that was posted by Killo on Tumblr, regarding this book.

Hopefully they'll reuse some of these concepts for future games.
Das me! Hehe!

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Pauline is finally making her playable debut in the Mario series! along with Boom Boom and surprisingly the return of Luma.https://youtu.be/pWv4zqSQ17o
This is so cool. I love seeing Pauline in there! She's on her way to become a major character again, and that's awesome. Rosalina did go from nothing to a main character in seven years max. Pauline's way might be even faster!

Also, she's been confirmed to be a Speedy character. I like it, though I had expected her to be Defensive at first.

And now that I'm looking at the game roster, I wonder why they changed Rosalina's attributes to be a Power/Tricky hybrid. At first, I thought it was because they didn't want too many Power types, but it's the biggest category right now...
I don't understand why they changed it. In Superstars, she was Power everywhere but in Tennis, so will they changer her to Tricky in other games as well?

Mario & Sonic 2016's 3DS version had her Power, but Wii U's version had her Technique. I don't know. Her stats were quite settled with Power, but they're messing everything up kinda. I really don't want her to be something else than Power, it's such a good thing to have a human-looking female character being in this category.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Simply put, they wanted her to have balls that follow an ellissoid motion, like there was some gravitational pull midway through. Characters that curve their balls like that fall into the Tricky class. She also had this applied to her fully charged Lob, that is the best in the game simply in virtue of it being both fast and hitting the ground at an angle. On the same vein, she gets the lowest speed penalty while charging her shot and used to have a decent height both vertical and horizontal, in virtue of her height.

But nevermind that, her actual class is Ultra-Trash. In short:
  1. Demo comes out, she's one of the playable characters, she's seen as above average
  2. """"""""Full"""""""""" game comes out, she is immediately put at the bottom of the barrel in Simple, below Wario, a character that loses every ball after the first, most of that is due to her shots being too weak in a mode where charging does bugger all. In Standard she was mediocre at best, able to square off kinda decently against anyone but the top tiers, because it turns out having a tricky shot means nothing when Defensive characters can cover their entire court at at once
  3. Defensive characters get nerfed, and her vertical reach gets too because why not. It comes out that Tricky is just a worse version of Techical class, because why having the ball be confusing to catch for inexperienced players when you can just make the ball nigh-impossible to catch period. And turns out a slow character doesn't exactly flourish when he needs to cross the entire court in a split second
  4. Since Camelot thought it wasn't right for her to be Arse Tier in Simple, they nerfed her to the ground in Standard as well, both directly and indirectly, the last patch increasing her penalty while charging, probably realizing that nerfing what was already terrible wouldn't have sorted such an effect. And they were right, because after that she was left with the best Lob in the game and the worst or nigh-worst everything else, being thrown right at the bottom in her own tier, eventually Bowser Jr. came to make her company, below her
  5. At least partially this last change got reversed, and now she no longer is bottom 2, just bottom 5
And yes, that means that Luma has 99% chance of being better than her because all technical characters take half of the top 6, including the Top 1.
Just to get the point across, in the Bottom 5 reside Jr. and Waluigi, that in the first version where the two best characters and got nerfed with every single patch, directly and indirectly, this is where Rosa, that at the start barely scraped viability in Standard got thrown, you can guess where she went in Simple.

So I can't tell what they were going for with her being this Power-Tricky hybrid because she's barely got the qualities of either. Or any quality

Last edited:

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Simply put, they wanted her to have balls that follow an ellissoid motion, like there was some gravitational pull midway through. Characters that curve their balls like that fall into the Tricky class. She also had this applied to her fully charged Lob, that is the best in the game simply in virtue of it being both fast and hitting the ground at an angle. On the same vein, she gets the lowest speed penalty while charging her shot and used to have a decent height both vertical and horizontal, in virtue of her height.

But nevermind that, her actual class is Ultra-Trash. In short:
  1. Demo comes out, she's one of the playable characters, she's seen as above average
  2. """"""""Full"""""""""" game comes out, she is immediately put at the bottom of the barrel in Simple, below Wario, a character that loses every ball after the first, most of that is due to her shots being too weak in a mode where charging does bugger all. In Standard she was mediocre at best, able to square off kinda decently against anyone but the top tiers, because it turns out having a tricky shot means nothing when Defensive characters can cover their entire court at at once
  3. Defensive characters get nerfed, and her vertical reach gets too because why not. It comes out that Tricky is just a worse version of Techical class, because why having the ball be confusing to catch for inexperienced players when you can just make the ball nigh-impossible to catch period. And turns out a slow character doesn't exactly flourish when he needs to cross the entire court in a split second
  4. Since Camelot thought it wasn't right for her to be Arse Tier in Simple, they nerfed her to the ground in Standard as well, both directly and indirectly, the last patch increasing her penalty while charging, probably realizing that nerfing what was already terrible wouldn't have sorted such an effect. And they were right, because after that she was left with the best Lob in the game and the worst or nigh-worst everything else, being thrown right at the bottom in her own tier, eventually Bowser Jr. came to make her company, below her
  5. At least partially this last change got reversed, and now she no longer is bottom 2, just bottom 5
And yes, that means that Luma has 99% chance of being better than her because all technical characters take half of the top 6, including the Top 1.
Just to get the point across, in the Bottom 5 reside Jr. and Waluigi, that in the first version where the two best characters and got nerfed with every single patch, directly and indirectly, this is where Rosa, that at the start barely scraped viability in Standard got thrown, you can guess where she went in Simple.

So I can't tell what they were going for with her being this Power-Tricky hybrid because she's barely got the qualities of either. Or any quality
That's the problem. She's got nothing going for her. As a Power type, she sacrificed at least some of her power (and not much, even) for speed, and that worked really well, because she could be very oppressive with her shots being strong, fast, while also being able to cover most of the court.
Now, yeah. Her ball curve is useless because it's not impactful enough, her speed has been nerfed and she simply gets overwhelmed by Toadette for instance (as we could see on Nintendo Live...), and her power isn't enough to stun opponents long enough for her to benefit from it. Trick Shots should help, and her Satellite Shift is quite good laterally, but Galaxy Warp... it's like a bad Through it All.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
When I overheard about some upcoming characters for Mario Tennis Aces, I was kind of wondering if King K. Rool would be one of them. But that apparently wasn't the case.

Not that it matters on my end, since I likely won't be touching the game any time soon.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
I like that Pauline is getting more recognition. If two of the original trio (Jumpman [Mario], Lady [Pauline] and Donkey Kong) of Donkey Kong get to stay, why can't one more stay? At least Pauline is being fleshed out more as a character and finally getting a spot to play. This reminds me of Daisy back in the old days, where she was in Super Mario Land and disappears for several years before joining Tennis. I suppose this is a good step for female representation, because what they did with Daisy and Rosalina worked, and so they thought, why not do the same with Pauline?

Zav22

Smash Cadet
Its definitely a step in the right direction for her which they shouldve done way back earlier than when she came back in the Mario vs DK series, because I never understood why she wasn't playable from there all the way up to this point. Daisy had it very differently because when she first appeared in Super Mario Land she was gone for a long time and in the very first instance that she was revived she became playable in Mario Tennis and eventually became a mainstay in the series, not to mention it was also technically the same for Waluigi. Rosalina went through the same thing and look at where she is now, so I wonder why it took so long for Pauline to be playable since shes literally been around since Donkey Kong.

Last edited:

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
When Rosa was revealed in three games at once it became apparent to me that characters born in 3D main games simply had a privilege over the others. With Daisy and Pauline this has lately been stretching over 2D games as well, and in time probably Waluigi will be left behind, accompanied by his fanbase's ego

Anyhow, Tizio Random Tizio Random there's some more info about Luma. Presumably Luma being launched less far not only means he's more difficult to throw offstage but also that the theresold for being launched is reduced, making him able to facetank more powerful hits. Luma getting Ryu'd changes how Boost Grab works in specific cases but also allows him to hit enemies with one-directional attacks even when they are between the two. On the flip side, DA movement can only be brought toward the opponent and, if it works like Ryu's, you can use Bair to hit the opponent only in specific cases

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Anyhow, Tizio Random Tizio Random there's some more info about Luma. Presumably Luma being launched less far not only means he's more difficult to throw offstage but also that the theresold for being launched is reduced, making him able to facetank more powerful hits. Luma getting Ryu'd changes how Boost Grab works in specific cases but also allows him to hit enemies with one-directional attacks even when they are between the two. On the flip side, DA movement can only be brought toward the opponent and, if it works like Ryu's, you can use Bair to hit the opponent only in specific cases
I already saw this and updated my doc, thank you for telling me, though!

Also, very interesting post by Falln regarding these changes:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
Merry Christmas to everyone! I hope everyone is having a great time and enjoying their Holiday break and time with family! I thought I'd share this tweet from twitter, to help boost the Christmas spirit.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Which topic is better to post in? This one or the Ultimate one? Either way check out the Rosalina love
IMG_20191022_141100.png

Top Bottom