• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Rosalina General/Social Thread: 2nd Edition

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
Geez, why do people keep saying she looks different from the two images compared? I know people are allowed to have their opinions, and here's mine.

Reasons that they SEEM different.
First: It's the lighting
Second: Her eyes can shine freely
Third: She has make-up supplies(Explained the reasoning of the nail polish)
Fourth: It's just her cheeks.

The only part where I can tell is different is her dress from Smash to her normal one. The Smash dress sports glittery stars at the bottom and her sleeves has intricated details. Her shoe matches her dress, and also, her crown has a remodel in the game. Her trademark dress, however, only bears silver shoes, lined crown, no stars on dress, simple sleeve.

In my honest opinion, her Smash outfit wasn't really that much detailed compared to Peach's.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You should, it's a really fun game. Except when I keep losing on serious mode... It's, miscellaneous whatever you do online, actually.

I was just about to point that out, but you beat me! Darn... Also, you can't really tell if Rosalina whether or not wears nail polish when she wears glove., and about the eyes. She has this rare gene that her eyes are known to be starry, it's blurry in her storybook since all you see is a blue dot. You don't get to see her mother's eyes since it's covered, and her father isn't there at all, in the pictures. They don't call her "Watcher of the cosmos" for nothing.

Not really, it's just the lighting of the images. And her eye can shine like stars whenever she wants to.

Anyways, this video is great for newbies to watch and is also a good recap of Rosalina for even the experts.
Still the saddest backstory in Mario

Moderator Edit: When quoting posts that contain embedded videos, please remove the videos from the quoted post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
And Mario Galaxy 2 was given a 10/10 now that I think of it
Doesn't mean it's better than its predecessor as everyone says, in my opinion. I mean I absolutely enjoyed Galaxy 2 but it wasn't as epic as the first one was.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Doesn't mean it's better than its predecessor as everyone says, in my opinion. I mean I absolutely enjoyed Galaxy 2 but it wasn't as epic as the first one was.
Just the difference between Comet Observatory/Mario Spaceship makes me choose the first game personally. And the fact that Rosalina is a trophy in the second game made me kinda sad, but when I saw the Cosmic Spirit and giant cosmic hologram Rosalina I was so happy.
I want to see the Cosmic Spirit in the future. And to know if she's different from Rosalina or just Rosalina using her powers (I do think they're the same person but who knows what the future holds).

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Just the difference between Comet Observatory/Mario Spaceship makes me choose the first game personally. And the fact that Rosalina is a trophy in the second game made me kinda sad, but when I saw the Cosmic Spirit and giant cosmic hologram Rosalina I was so happy.
I want to see the Cosmic Spirit in the future. And to know if she's different from Rosalina or just Rosalina using her powers (I do think they're the same person but who knows what the future holds).
Rosalina, her backstory, the Comet Observatory and the ending, including the 120 stars ending, are the reasons why I loved the first one way better than the sequel.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Cosmic Spirit is Rosalina. The hint is in the name - "Cosmic Spirituality" is an actual spiritual set of beliefs relating to the ascension of a being above their physical form. One component of Cosmic Spirituality is "Astral Projection", whereby a person has an out of body experience and can move around anywhere in the universe, by having their conscience leave their body.

This is basically what the Cosmic Spirit is - it's Rosalina performing Astral Projection, being able to move outside of her physical body through a spirit of sorts. It's also worth noting that the Cosmic Spirit has Rosalina's genuine crown, wand, and star pendant too, so it's pretty obvious it's supposed to be her.

It's also worth noting that in many religions, a "Cosmic Spirit" refers to a divine power/being (which we know Rosalina is supposed to be even from Galaxy 1). The exact implication of that varies from religion to religion, but it's generally perceived as a being that is beyond human comprehension, and it's known to be able to take any form (note how in Galaxy 2, the Cosmic Spirit was able to change form into an orb that would take control of Mario).

I'm assuming Rosalina goes by the "Cosmic Spirit" moniker for most of Galaxy 2 because the developers wanted to keep her identity in the game a secret, even though it's obvious who she is.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
We need a 3rd Galaxy that combines both game mechanics together, allows you to play as Rosalina, and is even more emotional than the 1st Galaxy

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
We need a 3rd Galaxy that combines both game mechanics together, allows you to play as Rosalina, and is even more emotional than the 1st Galaxy
Expanding Rosalina's character even more is something I still wish it could happen.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeaaah Dabuz won a tournament with Rosalina!!
And it was against Anti's Sheik, ZSS, and Meta Knight.

You know, the very characters Rosalina mains always seem to complain about being too hard for the character...

And people kept telling me the MUs were so terrible when I didn't think they were a disadvantage for us at all, hmmm...

Feels good to get that point in favour of what I have been saying for so long.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
A game where Rosalina is the main character would be the greatest thing Nintendo would ever do if they could ever make it happen.
I'd say an actual Mario and Sonic platforming game would be the greatest thing they could ever do...but Rosalina having a game would be great to.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
By the looks of it M&S at the Rio Olympics would be Rosalina's final appearence for the Wii U.

That , if nothing along the way happens , because otherwise the Wii U Mario line-up would be instantly the Worst in a long while.

I Still want Baseball , Soccer and a good Mario Party game.

Last edited:

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
What about that one scene in Galaxy 2 where the lost luma enters the Library? Rosalina was narrating the events of the game, where she starts to read about the green jewels of the cosmos. That was very touching, especially the music.

And one thing about Rosalina that doesn't makes sense. She RELIES on Mario to save the the universe when she is CLEARLY capable of doing it herself, plus, she's the Protector of the stars.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What about that one scene in Galaxy 2 where the lost luma enters the Library? Rosalina was narrating the events of the game, where she starts to read about the green jewels of the cosmos. That was very touching, especially the music.

And one thing about Rosalina that doesn't makes sense. She RELIES on Mario to save the the universe when she is CLEARLY capable of doing it herself, plus, she's the Protector of the stars.
It's just a classic excuse of "there would be no Mario game if X character was written to use the abilities they have". Literal in the case of Rosalina as she is completely OP as a Mario character. Even assuming she doesn't stop Bowser from stealing the stars, she can FLY and TELEPORT in a platforming game.

I mean can we honestly still say even Peach still has any real excuse to still have trouble with Bowser, at this point?

-----------

I need feedback on something.

I'm making a Paper Rosalina sprite that I will eventually animate in Flash. I have the outline done but I just want some feedback on it. Does she look "Paper Mario" enough?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
It's just a classic excuse of "there would be no Mario game if X character was written to use the abilities they have". Literal in the case of Rosalina as she is completely OP as a Mario character. Even assuming she doesn't stop Bowser from stealing the stars, she can FLY and TELEPORT in a platforming game.

I mean can we honestly still say even Peach still has any real excuse to still have trouble with Bowser, at this point?

-----------

I'm making a Paper Rosalina sprite that I will eventually animate in Flash. I have the outline done but I just want some feedback on it. Does she look "Paper Mario" enough?

aldelaro5 aldelaro5 Mind giving some feedback on this?

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
^^To me it looks on point, outside of the hairs' size being too large relatively to the crown.
Also what is that background for?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
^^To me it looks on point, outside of the hairs' size being too large relatively to the crown.
Also what is that background for?
I actually made the crown smaller intentionally as Peach's crown looks smaller than normal in comparison to the size of her hair in the Paper Mario art style.

Also the background is just what the canvas of the software I am using looks like, it's not part of the image. Background is transparent since it's supposed to be a re-usable sprite.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
I think you can also play with the colors a bit since Peach's crown is not 100% faithful to the original , the main jewel is pink instead of Red in the modern design.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Maybe she was either to lazy or to cool to do so

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Cosmic Spirit is Rosalina. The hint is in the name - "Cosmic Spirituality" is an actual spiritual set of beliefs relating to the ascension of a being above their physical form. One component of Cosmic Spirituality is "Astral Projection", whereby a person has an out of body experience and can move around anywhere in the universe, by having their conscience leave their body.

This is basically what the Cosmic Spirit is - it's Rosalina performing Astral Projection, being able to move outside of her physical body through a spirit of sorts. It's also worth noting that the Cosmic Spirit has Rosalina's genuine crown, wand, and star pendant too, so it's pretty obvious it's supposed to be her.

It's also worth noting that in many religions, a "Cosmic Spirit" refers to a divine power/being (which we know Rosalina is supposed to be even from Galaxy 1). The exact implication of that varies from religion to religion, but it's generally perceived as a being that is beyond human comprehension, and it's known to be able to take any form (note how in Galaxy 2, the Cosmic Spirit was able to change form into an orb that would take control of Mario).

I'm assuming Rosalina goes by the "Cosmic Spirit" moniker for most of Galaxy 2 because the developers wanted to keep her identity in the game a secret, even though it's obvious who she is.
I expected you to answer. Thanks, I wanted your mind on this.

C3CC

Smash Lord
By the looks of it M&S at the Rio Olympics would be Rosalina's final appearence for the Wii U.

That , if nothing along the way happens , because otherwise the Wii U Mario line-up would be instantly the Worst in a long while.

I Still want Baseball , Soccer and a good Mario Party game.
Do you seriously still have hopes in Mario Party? That series has been dead to me since 5 came out. It's absolute garbage.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://nintendo.tumblr.com/

"WHAT DOES THIS MEEEEEAN????"

Um, I don't understand what you meant. That was only a summary of Super Mario Galaxy, I don't see the real value in this.

-----------

I really like your drawing, and I'm not just flattering, I mean it, but.. Of course buts are never good, but here goes. This version of Paper Rosalina is a bit more Paper Mario, and it's just only my opinion, so please don't hate me: *I'm putting the image in the next post.*

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I do feel like Paper Rosalina should have a white eye base, just to make her look different from the other human characters. And of course, the eyelashes can't be ignored either. Other than that, looks like a good start.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
1. The version of my choice for Paper Rosalina (Without the wand):
2. ChikoLad ChikoLad 's version:

EDIT: So, I posted that artwork of Paper Rosalina (The one above sonic's) on the previous thread, but the last one has a wand and a logo.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

-----------

sorry i was playing tphd ad i just beat it :)

well idk why there's a weird rectangle but the thing is, it's not really possible
to tell without colors (like it looks yarn without them lol). the one thing i suggest is to have black outline then tge colors inside. the reasons the series uses the black outline is it does merge with the background but emphase the characters. But yeah, the most tricky and sensitive part about te paper artstyle is the colors because you want some shading......but not too much and i seem to see a lot of contrast in shading near the outline. for the best results, imo the fanmade that looked the best were omni's ice climbers and pickachu one, these felt very authentic :)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
sorry i was playing tphd ad i just beat it :)

well idk why there's a weird rectangle but the thing is, it's not really possible
to tell without colors (like it looks yarn without them lol). the one thing i suggest is to have black outline then tge colors inside. the reasons the series uses the black outline is it does merge with the background but emphase the characters. But yeah, the most tricky and sensitive part about te paper artstyle is the colors because you want some shading......but not too much and i seem to see a lot of contrast in shading near the outline. for the best results, imo the fanmade that looked the best were omni's ice climbers and pickachu one, these felt very authentic :)
Actually, I was basing this off the Super Paper Mario sprites, and they don't have black outlines. They are a darker shade of the colour of the body part they surround.

Keep in mind I actually want this to be a sprite that I will animate as if she were in something like Super Paper Mario, not a standalone image. Though I am making a black outline version too now as a standalone image, like it came from an instruction manual.

I have a pretty good guide for the colour style, so I'm not much worried about that (I also have a unique idea or two for Rosalina specifically). I was just worried about her outline and shape.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did mess around a bit with ChikoLad ChikoLad Paper Rosalina drawing by adding some color, and I modified the eye as well. I did have to crop the image though, and the coloring isn't all that great either.

RosalinaPaper.png

I guess in a way, this image revision is supposed to show how I'd depict Paper Rosalina's facial appearance. And I apologize if you don't like to see Rosalina smile.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I did mess around a bit with ChikoLad ChikoLad Paper Rosalina drawing by adding some color, and I modified the eye as well. I did have to crop the image though, and the coloring isn't all that great either.

View attachment 100180

I guess in a way, this image revision is supposed to show how I'd depict Paper Rosalina's facial appearance. And I apologize if you don't like to see Rosalina smile.
I was thinking of giving her an eye like that, but thought it might clash with the other core Mario characters too much.

However, I plan to give her eye a cosmic effect and maybe a star in the middle.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Actually, I was basing this off the Super Paper Mario sprites, and they don't have black outlines. They are a darker shade of the colour of the body part they surround.

Keep in mind I actually want this to be a sprite that I will animate as if she were in something like Super Paper Mario, not a standalone image. Though I am making a black outline version too now as a standalone image, like it came from an instruction manual.

I have a pretty good guide for the colour style, so I'm not much worried about that (I also have a unique idea or two for Rosalina specifically). I was just worried about her outline and shape.
Well....that guide imo has stuff with a bit too much shading.

this is why I actually thought about it, there is minimal shading so much that it;s less than this guide shows.

Because tbh, omni had by far the closest you could get :)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well....that guide imo has stuff with a bit too much shading.

this is why I actually thought about it, there is minimal shading so much that it;s less than this guide shows.

Because tbh, omni had by far the closest you could get :)
Well I was planning on softer shading anyway. Most of Rosalina won't need shading. I have a more unique idea for her dress.

------------------------------

Posting a little update on Paper Rosalina, since I want some feedback on the gradient shading. Shading and colouring isn't totally finished yet, but does it look well enough right now?

And I know the main part of the gown hasn't been shaded. That's intentional, as I have a special idea in mind for that.

Also this is just gonna be my image version, the sprite version will have coloured outlines like you saw before.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

View attachment 100180

That's pretty good

Top Bottom