Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!
You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!
This is so cool. I love seeing Pauline in there! She's on her way to become a major character again, and that's awesome. Rosalina did go from nothing to a main character in seven years max. Pauline's way might be even faster!
That's the problem. She's got nothing going for her. As a Power type, she sacrificed at least some of her power (and not much, even) for speed, and that worked really well, because she could be very oppressive with her shots being strong, fast, while also being able to cover most of the court.Simply put, they wanted her to have balls that follow an ellissoid motion, like there was some gravitational pull midway through. Characters that curve their balls like that fall into the Tricky class. She also had this applied to her fully charged Lob, that is the best in the game simply in virtue of it being both fast and hitting the ground at an angle. On the same vein, she gets the lowest speed penalty while charging her shot and used to have a decent height both vertical and horizontal, in virtue of her height.
But nevermind that, her actual class is Ultra-Trash. In short:
And yes, that means that Luma has 99% chance of being better than her because all technical characters take half of the top 6, including the Top 1.
- Demo comes out, she's one of the playable characters, she's seen as above average
- """"""""Full"""""""""" game comes out, she is immediately put at the bottom of the barrel in Simple, below Wario, a character that loses every ball after the first, most of that is due to her shots being too weak in a mode where charging does bugger all. In Standard she was mediocre at best, able to square off kinda decently against anyone but the top tiers, because it turns out having a tricky shot means nothing when Defensive characters can cover their entire court at at once
- Defensive characters get nerfed, and her vertical reach gets too because why not. It comes out that Tricky is just a worse version of Techical class, because why having the ball be confusing to catch for inexperienced players when you can just make the ball nigh-impossible to catch period. And turns out a slow character doesn't exactly flourish when he needs to cross the entire court in a split second
- Since Camelot thought it wasn't right for her to be Arse Tier in Simple, they nerfed her to the ground in Standard as well, both directly and indirectly, the last patch increasing her penalty while charging, probably realizing that nerfing what was already terrible wouldn't have sorted such an effect. And they were right, because after that she was left with the best Lob in the game and the worst or nigh-worst everything else, being thrown right at the bottom in her own tier, eventually Bowser Jr. came to make her company, below her
- At least partially this last change got reversed, and now she no longer is bottom 2, just bottom 5
Just to get the point across, in the Bottom 5 reside Jr. and Waluigi, that in the first version where the two best characters and got nerfed with every single patch, directly and indirectly, this is where Rosa, that at the start barely scraped viability in Standard got thrown, you can guess where she went in Simple.
So I can't tell what they were going for with her being this Power-Tricky hybrid because she's barely got the qualities of either. Or any quality
I already saw this and updated my doc, thank you for telling me, though!Anyhow, Tizio Random there's some more info about Luma. Presumably Luma being launched less far not only means he's more difficult to throw offstage but also that the theresold for being launched is reduced, making him able to facetank more powerful hits. Luma getting Ryu'd changes how Boost Grab works in specific cases but also allows him to hit enemies with one-directional attacks even when they are between the two. On the flip side, DA movement can only be brought toward the opponent and, if it works like Ryu's, you can use Bair to hit the opponent only in specific cases
gonna talk a little bit about some more detether luma changes. got it from data mined in-game tips, which i dont see an issue with sharing because in my mind the tips just confirm mechanics we could already glean from demo gameplay, but ***** "spoiler" warning **** nonetheless— falln (@fallnaway) November 25, 2018