• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Rosalina Gameplay Videos Thread

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Hi, everyone! I'm trying to develop my Rosalina play to compete with higher tiered characters, but I'm not performing as well as I feel I could be. Stuff that immediately comes to mind is that I need to work on my combo/juggling game by utilizing up throw into up airs more often, and I need to work on more creative and non-telegrapher Luma play, as I'm being pretty predictable with Luma. But maybe it'd just be better if I showed you guys. Here are five matches of my Rosalina gameplay versus tournament competitors and randoms on Anther's Ladder. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf4MIUdv7Dg

Royug

Smash Cadet
Alright, I'll try to give you some advice. Others can also correct me if I say something wrong.

1st match : You started the match with a Luma Shot. That's typically something beginner players do. It can work if your opponent is not expecting it or if he's careless (like the Bowser player, who immediately ran at you using fire breath) but normally avoid using this move directly at the start of a match. It's useless. Your opponent is at the other side of the stage, you have to fully charge Luma to reach him, that takes some time and your opponent will have more than enough time to avoid or block it. Personally I only use a charged Luma Shot to punish the landing of my opponent when he's above the stage, a certain distance away from me, taking too much time to get down. If you use Luma Shot too much, your opponent is gonna block it, punish you, then quickly attack Luma to kill it while you're stunned or busy recovering. And you don't want your Luma to die like that.

Don't use F-air on the stage, especially if your opponent is on the ground. F-air is Rosalina's worst aerial, it's too slow and more punishable. There's one time where Bowser is right in front of you, and you just jump above him to do a F-air. That's completely useless. F-air is only good offstage in some edgeguarding situations (like you did at 1:40). On stage, you can catch you opponent with it when he's in the air, or following a D-throw at very low % if he's careless (cause I think he can avoid it, even at 0%), but generally N-air or B-air is always better. You should learn to RAR B-air and use it more often.

JAB. You used smash attacks way too much and didn't use jab a single time in the entire match. Jab is one of Rosa's best moves though ! Simply running to your opponent and U-smash him will not work. It's slow, telegraphed, he will shield and punish you with a grab or something else. Use tilts more often and jab to keep him away from you. The fast multi-hit jab is good to get you out of troublesome situations, if you're panicking, especially against fat characters like Bowser. But the canceled 1-2 jab is even better. Simply do Jab1-Jab2-short pause-Jab1-Jab2-etc. It's quick, safe on shield, and if you succeed in hitting your opponent with it, you can jab3 after jab1-jab2 to send him in the air, or you can also do an U-tilt, U-smash, U-air, whatever. It's a really good tool.

At 1:10 you grabbed the ledge, then let go to simply grab it again. Never do that. When you grab the ledge a second time without getting back on the stage, you're not invincible anymore and your opponent can freely attack you. If he's already close to the ledge, you can however try to let go then attack him from under with an U-air or from the side with a F-air if he's not expecting it. But never let go of the ledge simply to grab it again right after, it's wasting your invincibility time.

2nd match : Again, Luma died pretty early because you sent him away and didn't use him properly (using smash attacks and Gravitational Pull, while GP only works on Rosa and not Luma). Remember jab ! But against a character that has a projectile, like Pikachu, it's better to keep Luma close yo you anyway.

Talking about projectiles : I see at 3:35 that you used GP to absorb Pikachu's thunderjolts. GP is good from a certain distance, but at closer range it's dangerous to use because it's a move that lasts a long time and you're vulnerable during that. Your opponent knew that, that's why he baited you to use it multiple times in a row with thunderjolts but slowly advancing toward you at the same time and punishing you with an U-smash when close enough. Learn to block projectiles by powershielding them, it's safer.

It also happened in the first match, but it seems that when your opponent is running towards you to attack, you often feel pressured and retreat by rolling or jumping away. This is really bad, especially jumping away. Since Rosa is a floaty character it takes her more time to get back down on the stage, and it's easier to punish her landing. Don't be afraid when people are coming toward you. Use 1-2 jab and starbits to keep them out ! (Starbits, another useful tool that you don't use and that I didn,t mention for the first match).

3rd match : you did pretty good in the match. Like the way you spiked DK for his first stock, that was nice, and you should use D-air that way more often, it's a really good edgeguard tool and kill move. Though DK is not the easiest character to hit with D-air, because of his Up-B that somewhat protects him.

Other than that, there are still some things you could have done better. Again, to many smash attacks, and like you said yourself, not enough U-airs when your opponent is above you, not enough Uthrow-Uairs.

4th match : when you succeed in dragging your opponent to the ground with you with a F-air like at 11:00, follow it by a D-smash instead of a F-smash. The first hit of D-smash is frame 6, while F-smash is frame 16. It's a lot faster, and you could have it Megaman. Because you did a F-smash, he had enough time to escape.

At 12:25 you tried to land on your opponent with a D-air. That's not a good option. It may not seem like it, but D-air is kind of a slow move (frame17) and people can just jump and attack you quick enough before the attack hits them (like that Megaman did). While trying to get back on the stage, you should only use D-air at a certain distance from the ground, when you see your opponent is jumping at you to attack. Don't use it to attack him if he stays on the ground, cause then he can easily punish you. Megaman also could've shielded your attack and quickly grabbed you after. When your opponent stays on the ground like that, waiting for you, it's better to land by avoiding him. Also do a Lunar Landing for more safety. If you don't know what that is, it's a really powerful advanced technique for Rosalina, something really important to know, check it out. If you feel too much pressured from landing on the stage, you can also stay offstage and go for the ledge.

At 12:30 Megaman is harassing you by spamming projectiles, and it looks like you don't know what to do except using Gravitational Pull. What you must do in these situations is powershield his projectiles while advancing slowly toward him at the same time and look for an opportunity to attack.

5th match : not much more to tell you here different from what I already told you.

So that's it, these are a few basic things you can work on. There's always more stuff to improve, of course, but I think this would be a good start for you. Hope this can help you become better. :)

Last edited:

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I'll try to give you some advice. Others can also correct me if I say something wrong.

1st match : You started the match with a Luma Shot. That's typically something beginner players do. It can work if your opponent is not expecting it or if he's careless (like the Bowser player, who immediately ran at you using fire breath) but normally avoid using this move directly at the start of a match. It's useless. Your opponent is at the other side of the stage, you have to fully charge Luma to reach him, that takes some time and your opponent will have more than enough time to avoid or block it. Personally I only use a charged Luma Shot to punish the landing of my opponent when he's above the stage, a certain distance away from me, taking too much time to get down. If you use Luma Shot too much, your opponent is gonna block it, punish you, then quickly attack Luma to kill it while you're stunned or busy recovering. And you don't want your Luma to die like that.

Don't use F-air on the stage, especially if your opponent is on the ground. F-air is Rosalina's worst aerial, it's too slow and more punishable. There's one time where Bowser is right in front of you, and you just jump above him to do a F-air. That's completely useless. F-air is only good offstage in some edgeguarding situations (like you did at 1:40). On stage, you can catch you opponent with it when he's in the air, or following a D-throw at very low % if he's careless (cause I think he can avoid it, even at 0%), but generally N-air or B-air is always better. You should learn to RAR B-air and use it more often.

JAB. You used smash attacks way too much and didn't use jab a single time in the entire match. Jab is one of Rosa's best moves though ! Simply running to your opponent and U-smash him will not work. It's slow, telegraphed, he will shield and punish you with a grab or something else. Use tilts more often and jab to keep him away from you. The fast multi-hit jab is good to get you out of troublesome situations, if you're panicking, especially against fat characters like Bowser. But the canceled 1-2 jab is even better. Simply do Jab1-Jab2-short pause-Jab1-Jab2-etc. It's quick, safe on shield, and if you succeed in hitting your opponent with it, you can jab3 after jab1-jab2 to send him in the air, or you can also do an U-tilt, U-smash, U-air, whatever. It's a really good tool.

At 1:10 you grabbed the ledge, then let go to simply grab it again. Never do that. When you grab the ledge a second time without getting back on the stage, you're not invincible anymore and your opponent can freely attack you. If he's already close to the ledge, you can however try to let go then attack him from under with an U-air or from the side with a F-air if he's not expecting it. But never let go of the ledge simply to grab it again right after, it's wasting your invincibility time.

2nd match : Again, Luma died pretty early because you sent him away and didn't use him properly (using smash attacks and Gravitational Pull, while GP only works on Rosa and not Luma). Remember jab ! But against a character that has a projectile, like Pikachu, it's better to keep Luma close yo you anyway.

Talking about projectiles : I see at 3:35 that you used GP to absorb Pikachu's thunderjolts. GP is good from a certain distance, but at closer range it's dangerous to use because it's a move that lasts a long time and you're vulnerable during that. Your opponent knew that, that's why he baited you to use it multiple times in a row with thunderjolts but slowly advancing toward you at the same time and punishing you with an U-smash when close enough. Learn to block projectiles by powershielding them, it's safer.

It also happened in the first match, but it seems that when your opponent is running towards you to attack, you often feel pressured and retreat by rolling or jumping away. This is really bad, especially jumping away. Since Rosa is a floaty character it takes her more time to get back down on the stage, and it's easier to punish her landing. Don't be afraid when people are coming toward you. Use 1-2 jab and starbits to keep them out ! (Starbits, another useful tool that you don't use and that I didn,t mention for the first match).

3rd match : you did pretty good in the match. Like the way you spiked DK for his first stock, that was nice, and you should use D-air that way more often, it's a really good edgeguard tool and kill move. Though DK is not the easiest character to hit with D-air, because of his Up-B that somewhat protects him.

Other than that, there are still some things you could have done better. Again, to many smash attacks, and like you said yourself, not enough U-airs when your opponent is above you, not enough Uthrow-Uairs.

4th match : when you succeed in dragging your opponent to the ground with you with a F-air like at 11:00, follow it by a D-smash instead of a F-smash. The first hit of D-smash is frame 6, while F-smash is frame 16. It's a lot faster, and you could have it Megaman. Because you did a F-smash, he had enough time to escape.

At 12:25 you tried to land on your opponent with a D-air. That's not a good option. It may not seem like it, but D-air is kind of a slow move (frame17) and people can just jump and attack you quick enough before the attack hits them (like that Megaman did). While trying to get back on the stage, you should only use D-air at a certain distance from the ground, when you see your opponent is jumping at you to attack. Don't use it to attack him if he stays on the ground, cause then he can easily punish you. Megaman also could've shielded your attack and quickly grabbed you after. When your opponent stays on the ground like that, waiting for you, it's better to land by avoiding him. Also do a Lunar Landing for more safety. If you don't know what that is, it's a really powerful advanced technique for Rosalina, something really important to know, check it out. If you feel too much pressured from landing on the stage, you can also stay offstage and go for the ledge.

At 12:30 Megaman is harassing you by spamming projectiles, and it looks like you don't know what to do except using Gravitational Pull. What you must do in these situations is powershield his projectiles while advancing slowly toward him at the same time and look for an opportunity to attack.

5th match : not much more to tell you here different from what I already told you.

So that's it, these are a few basic things you can work on. There's always more stuff to improve, of course, but I think this would be a good start for you. Hope this can help you become better. :)
Uhhhhh you kept running to the corner so frustrating to see you give up stage control like. I felt like you have no idea what you are doing as RosalinA. Sorry if I sound rude but I don't think Rosalina is for you. You just let the oppenent approach the whole time. Pick another character where you have to approach and then when you master it then maybe go back to rosa. I recommend pit

NitN

Smash Rookie
Hello gentlemen,

Have a set for review if you guys would be so kind. I've watched it and seen some mistakes I made(i.e. not enough de-synched Luma and missed off stage punishes as well as some missed punishes due to nerves), but I have an incredibly hard time against Mario even though theory states that Rosa does well against him. If anyone can give this a watch and help with seeing something either I am doing or my opponent is doing, I'd appreciate it. This is a set with Me VS. Rice. First match is his Bayo; the rest are Mario. We're both PR'd here in NorCal, but I have an extremely hard time against his Mario. The mobility gives me a LOT of trouble. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oemJqbTj0vM&list=PL5n6M_nMn9OM65MAAFgBSxZrRWRi6GqIN&index=15

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Uhhhhh you kept running to the corner so frustrating to see you give up stage control like. I felt like you have no idea what you are doing as RosalinA. Sorry if I sound rude but I don't think Rosalina is for you. You just let the oppenent approach the whole time. Pick another character where you have to approach and then when you master it then maybe go back to rosa. I recommend pit
I apologize, the main reason why I picked Rosy at all was because I feel I need a top tier character to fight against other top tiers, like Sheiks and ZSSs, as my other mains aren't quite as high up on the metagame. Why would I choose a lower tiered character to do well with?

NitN

Smash Rookie
I apologize, the main reason why I picked Rosy at all was because I feel I need a top tier character to fight against other top tiers, like Sheiks and ZSSs, as my other mains aren't quite as high up on the metagame. Why would I choose a lower tiered character to do well with?
I watched your Bowser match. I have a Bowser in my crew whom I play all the time. Having seen it, I can definitely see a few things to work on.

First and foremost, never try to look at Rosalina and Luma as a single entity. The impression I got from your play is that you were primarily focused on Rosalina when you de-tethered Luma. The flow of alternating between Rosa and Luma is something that just comes with time and practice. Learn to look at it like you are two separate players on the field. It's part of what makes playing Rosalina both extremely difficult and extremely rewarding. With the right mindset and play you can literally make a match feel like a 2v1.

Bowser is combo food for Rosalina, like Royug said above, jab is your best friend. Use it. Live it. Love it. It's such a good pressure tool. What you will want to do it put Bowser on the defensive immediately. I will disagree with Royug here in that Luma shot can be good when used at the beginning of battle if it helps you take stage control immediately. Just don't charge it. De-tether Luma a short distance in front of you and crawl forward to create an intimidating wall as Luma will glide with you. Then use Star Bits to catch him off guard or put him in shield. It's all about safe pressure from afar.

Bowser hits hard. So your goal is to avoid putting yourself in situations where Bowser has great kill options. Since the patch, Bowser has a grab game. Bowser is also a rushdown character. So you should expect a rushdown grab happy Bowser. This is great because Rosa preys on characters that get antsy and rush in. Your DTilt can space out safely and ends early enough to put up a jab wall if the Bowser shields the tilt.

When Bowser is in the air, keep in mind that Bowser Bomb is a clear threat when you are chasing him up there. Up Air beats it out though.

Basically, Rosa has the effective tools to honestly prevent Bowser from approaching well as long as you recognize that you have Luma, aka the movable hitbox.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
Last edited:

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
to be honest whether or not you use a high tier really matters once you become a top level player until. pit is good because you learn the basics of the game easily with him.

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
I really struggle with robin mu are there any good robin vs Rosalina sets to study off of

No U

Smash Journeyman
Anybody care to give me some advice? I don't play this game much but want to be competent just from knowledge. also disclaimer: the commentators hype me up too much >_> I only won like 2 early tournaments and got 2nd/3rd at some others but there's always been a much better player in the state (dragoomba), who has a baller diddy/rob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4XcAwvIzlo

Anyways, I mostly just dash attack and dsmash, and obviously a lot of my dash attacks are super unsafe here. I wish I had the sets I lost at that tourney, I lost to a robin and a killager. Projectiles are difficult to deal with, rosa is a big goddess. Does downB work on robin's energy projectile stuff? I never tried it. Also how does robin's sword charge thing work? actually I'll just go read up on that in the character specific forum. Killager seemed like the more difficult of the matchups. I took a game off each of the people I lost to but felt I had to work harder against killager. There's a nice spacing where you can downb the rocket and the incoming fair and hit them with one of the spinning projectiles but if they come in with nair then that's unsafe... annoying little spammy monster is annoying... regardless, preemptive thanks for any advice y'all are willing to give.

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
Anybody care to give me some advice? I don't play this game much but want to be competent just from knowledge. also disclaimer: the commentators hype me up too much >_> I only won like 2 early tournaments and got 2nd/3rd at some others but there's always been a much better player in the state (dragoomba), who has a baller diddy/rob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4XcAwvIzlo

Anyways, I mostly just dash attack and dsmash, and obviously a lot of my dash attacks are super unsafe here. I wish I had the sets I lost at that tourney, I lost to a robin and a killager. Projectiles are difficult to deal with, rosa is a big goddess. Does downB work on robin's energy projectile stuff? I never tried it. Also how does robin's sword charge thing work? actually I'll just go read up on that in the character specific forum. Killager seemed like the more difficult of the matchups. I took a game off each of the people I lost to but felt I had to work harder against killager. There's a nice spacing where you can downb the rocket and the incoming fair and hit them with one of the spinning projectiles but if they come in with nair then that's unsafe... annoying little spammy monster is annoying... regardless, preemptive thanks for any advice y'all are willing to give.
jab out of shield isn't good and don't edguguard wii fit trainer. also yes you can down b all of
robin's things

No U

Smash Journeyman
b-b-but I have to edgeguard everybody D: what is an optimal alternative to jab oos? I definitely could have landed a few grabs and even Usmash in that particular set, but in general, jab seems like one of the best tools available.

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
b-b-but I have to edgeguard everybody D: what is an optimal alternative to jab oos? I definitely could have landed a few grabs and even Usmash in that particular set, but in general, jab seems like one of the best tools available.
you lost luma almost every time you went off stage to gimp him

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Yo. Finals of Desert Knights, strongest Smash tourny of the Middle East yet. Watch as Moom, the roumered second best Rosalina player in the world takes it.

Winner finals Madara: https://youtu.be/um-E0IesLSU

You can see the rest of the playlist for other matches and the grand final. Watch and spread pls, I'm sure that among his crazy tactics and insane usage of option selects and conditioning you'll find things worth learning from him.

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
PLEASE someone help me here, I just don't know what options to do in this match up of rosa vs palutena. palutena just seems impossible for me. Can someone please let me know what I did wrong, what options I should of done, and how to beat palutena in general. I may actually pay someone to help with this.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
PLEASE someone help me here, I just don't know what options to do in this match up of rosa vs palutena. palutena just seems impossible for me. Can someone please let me know what I did wrong, what options I should of done, and how to beat palutena in general. I may actually pay someone to help with this.
Okay first off, you are battling against a quite decent Palutena here. But I also saw your Rosa has many flaws. Whenever she use her neutral B, use your GP. And try to read your opponents moves carefully, never try to approach when you lost your Luma, I also don't understand why you quickly land fall right above Palutena. You will either get grabbed or get punished. Also you don't seem to DI correctly when you get launched.

Last edited:

syklone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePerson14
Was playing FG against some dude and randomly decided to use Rosalina, cuz why not? Here's the game:

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Hi guys, been a while since I commented here. This is a tournament set of my Rosalina a few weeks ago. Quite displeased with the outcome so I figured I would ask some criticm anyone's willing to give.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Was playing FG against some dude and randomly decided to use Rosalina, cuz why not? Here's the game:

I have seen this video before, didn't you post this somewhere a while ago?

syklone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePerson14
I have seen this video before, didn't you post this somewhere a while ago?
Other than youtube and here, I don't believe so...

Wait. Maybe the guy I was playing against uploaded it. He did have a nice spike.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Other than youtube and here, I don't believe so...

Wait. Maybe the guy I was playing against uploaded it. He did have a nice spike.
I remember I did see this video somewhere here...
Wait, this was a week ago, so it is this video...my bad, nice spike though.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
Some of my recent tournament videos

Midwest Championships 2016
Jester :rosalina:vs. Thundersz :4fox: https://youtu.be/E2NpTsfqF0Y
Jester :rosalina:vs. ATM :4mario::4falcon: https://youtu.be/lsNVtakNOPk
Jester :rosalina:vs. Yunocookie :4fox:https://youtu.be/MVtiQ5YHFxY
Jester :rosalina:vs. Mahgnittoc :4diddy: https://youtu.be/bQMxb1BbS8U
Jester :rosalina:vs. Ronin X :4ryu: https://youtu.be/PIKBIJjaygU
Jester :rosalina:vs. Kman :4falcon::4cloud:https://youtu.be/IrZaiWNi6nE
Jester :rosalina: vs. Fau :4lucas:https://youtu.be/_q-dbdM0eJo
Jester :rosalina::4diddy: vs. Blake :4cloud2: https://youtu.be/eV0kVVcsA2I
Jester :rosalina: vs. Makibaz :4bowser: https://youtu.be/z28EoNPMuo0

Also had a set with Mr. R at our local before WTFox

Jester :rosalina: vs. Mr. R :4sheik: https://youtu.be/XPzF68QzOH4

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have a playlist of top level Rosalinas vs the entire cast?

I don't play the game much and would like to see what every top level match-up looks like from Rosalina's point of view. I have no idea who plays the other characters well so my searches are typically dabuz rosalina vs mario wii u but I have no idea if the mario player is any good at the matchup. If someone could share their playlist it would be super helpful, thanks!

CovetedTerminus

Smash Rookie
This is just a couple of For Glory matches, nothing special. I feel like people underestimate Rosalina's forward air. Luma's AI is pretty good too.

Of course, I just posted my good vids, I still have a lot of things to work on with my gameplay.

Last edited:

Egghead

Smash Apprentice
I think you're referring to Luma being under the stage.
This is simply because Luma is programmed to follow Rosalina when it's called back, and since it's closer to just go up rather than around, it'll try to go up, but it can't due to the stage being solid.
When I desynced uma, faced offstage and started jumping, luma would start falling, not free fall though.

Also, luma will zoom through the stage to come back after a while.

Last edited:

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
When I desynced Luma, faced offstage and started jumping, luma would start falling, not free fall though.
What do you mean by "free fall"? Luma has only 2 types of falling iirc: the one where he gets hit and he can't do anything, and the one where he's falling but he can still do actions

Egghead

Smash Apprentice
What do you mean by "free fall"? Luma has only 2 types of falling iirc: the one where he gets hit and he can't do anything, and the one where he's falling but he can still do actions
Can do actions but falls quickly

Top Bottom