• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROBotic Meta Video Series

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Greetings!

I always feel as if I have so much to share when it comes to R.O.B. but never really have the right sort of outlet to get all of my thoughts and ideas out there. Posts can go ignored and I don't want to create a new thread for every new idea. So...what if I did videos? What if they showcased some pretty awesome stuff that R.O.B. is capable of doing and I would love to see it in competitive play.

This is why I would like to present to you:

The ROBotic Meta!

Advancing anything's meta is/should be a collaborative process. So, I'd like for us to work together on this. Mostly with just ideas for episodes and new tactics. So yeah, let me know what you think. I'm a bit limited on equipment at the moment so I apologize for the poor quality.

EPISODES:
1.) Let's Play With Our Gyros

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Very nice video, Eric. I honestly didn't realize they always went the direction ROB is facing, and I learned a few other things too. :)

Gike

Smash Cadet
Awesome video, i didn't know most of that stuff and i am looking forward to the next episode.
Btw, it's blocked for viewers living in Germany. :(

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Ooh, I'm going to have a lot of fun with this on Saturday...

Great video, there's a lot of this I didn't know or wouldn't have noticed without extensive testing.
Definitely looking forward to more of this!

PEACE7

Smash Champion
That was some really cool stuff man.
Awesome thread might start using Rob more cause of this lol.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Nice video, the only thing I didn't know was the Gyro High Bounce. I don't know what instance it could be used in, except maybe on RC and making it jump a whole platform ahead, because of the low gravity when going down, and hitting the opponent , idk.

Also what is a frame trap exactly?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Thank you so much, beepos. I've been pondering on ideas for the next episode and how I can get ahold of some capturing equipment. Please don't hesitate to ask questions or shoot out ideas. I want this to be a collaborative effort. I'd love that.

Honestly rather than AT's I'd like to see what kind of frame traps/mindgames other people have found with ROB imo.
Doesn't have to be just AT's. Anything to help boost ROB's metagame and I'd be down for it. Please don't be shy to throw out ideas my little Japanese love machine. <3

Nice video, the only thing I didn't know was the Gyro High Bounce. I don't know what instance it could be used in, except maybe on RC and making it jump a whole platform ahead, because of the low gravity when going down, and hitting the opponent , idk.
I'm sure you've noticed how Snake can throw his grenades off of slopes such as on Halberd, Frigate, RC, DP, PS1, PS2, etc. and they travel pretty far. Unfortunately and embarrassingly, the gyro doesn't quite travel anywhere near as far. So, for a nice mix up, a high bounce can definitely change the trajectory a bit.

Maybe even to help shadow someone's landing. A slow, high-bouncing gyro might eat through someone's air dodge if done correctly.

Idk, play with it :3

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Examples of Mindgames that people don't do enough that need to be explained:

Empty jumps.

Charging foward/Dsmash.

Countering attacks with upsmash

Explaining how gyro > Shield, not the other way around.

The effect of holding onto a gyro.

Gyro walls and how they are effective defence.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Well when someone is on the edge, I always stand at the edge with them and throw a Gyro down, so making it bounce high will probably make it last longer.

I wanted to see how much longer the Gyro lasted when you bounce it high, but you kept picking it up every time. Oh well, doesn't matter.

How exactly do you do it? You Fast fall into a DownC-Stick/Z right before you hit the ground??????

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Mister Eric if you ever need help recording something let me know, I can record as long as I have the free time of course.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Well when someone is on the edge, I always stand at the edge with them and throw a Gyro down, so making it bounce high will probably make it last longer.

I wanted to see how much longer the Gyro lasted when you bounce it high, but you kept picking it up every time. Oh well, doesn't matter.

How exactly do you do it? You Fast fall into a DownC-Stick/Z right before you hit the ground??????
I'll record you a little demonstration when I get back home.
How to do it:
Be in a fast fall state
Hard/strong toss the the gyro down right before hitting the ground and yeah, it should work
I found more success at fastfalling and hardtossing at the same time, but both ways should work.
There's probably a simpler way to do this, but so far, this is how I made it happen. Also, the timing isn't the easiest at first so don't give up trying. Took me and Sneakytako (was showing him at the tournament this past weekend) a couple of handful of tries to do it at first.

Examples of Mindgames that people don't do enough that need to be explained:

Empty jumps.

Charging foward/Dsmash.

Countering attacks with upsmash

Explaining how gyro > Shield, not the other way around.

The effect of holding onto a gyro.

Gyro walls and how they are effective defence.
Sure! I would love to talk about this more in-depth before I adventure to try and make a video on it. You should hit me up on Skype or something.

Mister Eric if you ever need help recording something let me know, I can record as long as I have the free time of course.
Certainly! I will most likely get things situated on my own tho. But I more than appreciate the offer<3

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"

Also what is a frame trap exactly?

A frame trap is basically when your action places a forced result on your opponent. For example, Marth can jab falco out of his side B and he is forced to land and has RCO lag. The jab perfectly spaces the follow up fsmash tipper. Basically, just putting your opponent in places they can't escape from.
Snake's up smash will often force people to air dodge or get hit right? If they're falling back to the stage when they dodge, snake up tilts and its guaranteed.

:phone:

8Bitman

Smash Master
Oh, alright, I guess that makes sense now.

THANK YOU!!!! :3

8Bitman

Smash Master
Well we would have to get someone with Frame Data EXP to research it.

If we can't then we are left to explore it the old fashion way, which will take forever and we don't know if what we discover is even guaranteed. =(

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Don't expect another video until after 12/17/11.
Finals and a tourney ahead of me.
I do have something new to show off. Nothing major but neat lol
If anyone has any ideas on what to display for the next video, let me know.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Sorry, went from school to family stuff. I will put one up soon. But I'd love for people to put up some ideas for it in the meantime.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I think some stuff about R.O.B.'s laser might be interesting. It has some rather awkward properties at times, mostly when reflected off a really sharp angle.
Or maybe about instances in which Robocopter is actually useful.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Can you put up a video for everyone to show all 3 different types of Reversing R.O.B's Up-B?

And the 2 different ways of reversing R.O.B's Gyro?

I feel as long as people know how to Reverse these we will be able to produce some faster and more fluid R.O.B's.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Kay, also do your Huge Gyro Bounce thingy, and instantly jump afterwards, Z-Catch it and throw it fast. Just to make us look cool. XD

There are so many little technical things we can do.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Oh to clarify on the high bouncing gyro, it does not require fastfalling, and it only has one initial high bounce then it goes low again like the gyro normally would.

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
Can you look into why R.O.B's laser randomly decides to dissolve into nothing when fired?

It's happened quite a few times to me and although I don't have any video evidence of this, it can't just be me... It just can't.

Or when you shoot it at certain angles, why its does/doesn't bounce.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Can you look into why R.O.B's laser randomly decides to dissolve into nothing when fired?

It's happened quite a few times to me and although I don't have any video evidence of this, it can't just be me... It just can't.
This has happened to me a lot, usually when firing below the ledge up to someone on the edge. I might actually have a video of it somewhere.
I feel like, considering when it's happened to me, when you use the laser, it does a quick check to see how much room there is for the laser to fire. If there isn't a certain amount of room, then it just won't fire.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Oh yeah, try and find what the SMALLEST ANGLE for our Laser to be bounced is.

As in SMALLEST I mean like:

You know when you shoot your Laser at the edge at an upright angle it will just disappear? And when you shoot it at the ground it will bounce? It is because the Laser is only allowed to bounce to a certain extent, UNLESS you bounce it off of multiple inclines. =)

Also if you look into this, try and find stages/instances/places to do this. =)

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I'm sure people want to see more of this. And I have more to show. I will try my bestest to put some work in over the summer after I get off work as free time should be picking up for me. So look forward.

Top Bottom