• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I feel the R.O.B/GW MU is dead even. I have used GW since the beggining of Brawl, just not as heavily as I did R.O.B. I have also played against many R.O.B's (With GW) and against many GW's (With R.O.B).

If you mained GW you wouldn't begin to understand how lucky you have to be to get a successful approach in. His only good option is Bair, and don't you think R.O.B would know that? R.O.B has TOO MUCH range over GW, and R.O.B's projectiles help combo the crap out of GW. Plus there is no point in GW absorbing them, it leads to an extremely weak Bucket.

As long as R.O.B stays grounded, FTilts, and Bairs, this MU is pretty harsh for GW. Yes we can get combo'd, but what does that do, rack up 60% tops? then we just land and combo them. As long as you aren't a ROLLING GOPHER and get Usmashed 9,001 times, you should be fine.
wow don't need to getting all aggro on me, i was genuinely asking your thoughts on the topic XD

And i do use G&W, just not to the same standard as my other 2/3 characters (**** yeah ganon) so i can see exactly what you mean

Cassio

Smash Master
We don't have to be top Japanese R.O.B's to be taken seriously. OCEAN beat M2K because of a fluke, that is the only reason why everyone is saying Japanese R.O.B's are amazing... If there is another reason tell me..
lol, was looking up some stuff for pika and saw this.

Ocean also beat Mr. R and Tearbear. Tearbear in particular isnt a player you beat on MU inexperience, at least not with America's metagame. Supposedly he was beating rich and other top level players outside tournament, though non-tournament is taken with a grain of salt.

Anyways, stating its a fluke implies that other ROBs in North America are or have been capable of beating M2K under the same conditions he faced at APEX. I dont think thats close to true.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Cassio, I worded my statement wrong, Fluke isn't the word I want to use, rather it was the only word I could think of at the time. I say that just because I feel M2K SandBagged. Anywho, I get your point, just that I hate how just from one tourney everyone is going ape **** over how good "Japanese R.O.B's" are. It's just OCEAN, not "Japanese R.O.B's" in general...

wow don't need to getting all aggro on me, i was genuinely asking your thoughts on the topic XD

And i do use G&W, just not to the same standard as my other 2/3 characters (**** yeah ganon) so i can see exactly what you mean
I wasn't being aggro, I was just saying. ^_^;

Heartstring

Smash Legend
apparently, very passionate about your opinion on said matchup. I got my internet shield out and everything

Heartstring

Smash Legend
good good

And because this thread is more social than the social. I'm going to a tournament tomorrow, but pretty much solely for being a commentator on a hyped money match (~$50) down in london. I'm going to post it around although it doesn't involve rob in the slightest :B

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Being on the ground against yoshi isn't always smart, egg lay is broken, as are all air grabs. You want to avoid being above yoshi, while not staying still. Yoshi's air mobility is the best in the game iirc, you want to control the space you occupy as solidly as possible.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Who's dair are we on about? almost every dair in the game is high shield damage and high landing lag after all

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
Yoshi's lmfao. With proper spacing, he can D-air to uptilt and it'll usually shield poke really hard before the end of the D-Air animation.

AnseLm

Smash Rookie
I see a lot of Dair> rising Nair, even if i shield all of the Dair it's damn unpunishable. If yoshi runs at us, is there a defensive option thats always safe? Or is it a Rock-Paper-Scissors situation?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
oh yeah, yoshis dair is such a pain, i totally eats ikes shield and his is good, i dont want to think about what it does to our bad one

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
I see a lot of Dair> rising Nair, even if i shield all of the Dair it's damn unpunishable. If yoshi runs at us, is there a defensive option thats always safe? Or is it a Rock-Paper-Scissors situation?
Most Yoshis just approach with B-Air, so if you can just keep your back to them and fire off a B-Air yourslelf.
The Disjointed hitbox should hit yoshi while you're at a safe distance.
Otherwise, just play it like the Marth MU on the ground. F-Tilt all day, just eat his jumps whenever possible. Watch out for U-Smash (I'm SURE WE ALL KNOW WHY)

Top Bottom