• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Rage can be fun. Plus I enjoy camping. Idk, I'll give him a shot. Last time I tried picking him up, I was still a horrible player, so it didn't work out.

Mind giving me some pointers to start out?

:phone:

Side-B (Pikmin toss) is going to be your most used move, it forces opponents to react in some way, and it gives you crazy openings. Learn the range of your smashes, and realize that all pikmin except for yellow pikmin will get outprioritized. Watch videos of Nietono, RB, and myself to get an idea of how to use olimar. Learning not to get gimped will be the greatest challenge in the road to mastering olimar.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
We don't have to be top Japanese R.O.B's to be taken seriously. OCEAN beat M2K because of a fluke, that is the only reason why everyone is saying Japanese R.O.B's are amazing... If there is another reason tell me.
Please elaborate on this fluke. I still have yet to see it.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
But at the same time, I still don't think any of us ROBs would have been able to keep up with M2K, even with all the errors he was making. Ocean was still playing the MU perfectly, something I don't think anyone else has ever done with ROB.

Oh, and thanks for the advice, dabuz. I didn't know yellow had the most priority out of them all, that's interesting. And I'm pretty good at not getting gimped as Ivysaur, which is harder to do than it is with Olimar, I think I can manage avoiding a majority of gimps... I hope.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Well, I never said I avoid them completely, that's impossible as Ivysaur, I'm just decently competent with his recovery, which make's Olimar's recovery look like MK by comparison, haha. Olimar has Whistle, long lasting hitboxes to get people off the ledge, and actually keeps momentum on the little hop he gets when he up B's. Ivysaur just... dies.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Well, I never said I avoid them completely, that's impossible as Ivysaur, I'm just decently competent with his recovery, which make's Olimar's recovery look like MK by comparison, haha. Olimar has Whistle, long lasting hitboxes to get people off the ledge, and actually keeps momentum on the little hop he gets when he up B's. Ivysaur just... dies.
Olimar is also more floaty, has MUCH better momentum cancel options, a better double jump, offensive recovery options. All he lacks is a reliable up-B T_T

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Yeah, but at least that one flaw keeps him from being completely overpowered and possibly ban worthy.

Also, you're missing this one in your sig. :p

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
I was thinking of adding that one to my sig, but it would take up too much space+bandwidth IMO. BTW, there is still something missing

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. I meant more along the lines of, the one I posted is the best one, and you're forgetting it. :p

8Bitman

Smash Master
Please elaborate on this fluke. I still have yet to see it.
If he beat Ally, then that would have been ****ING AMAZING! But he beat M2K.... Think about this sentence before responding. You and I can **** a MK who is inexperienced or just doesn't know the MU. That is why I call it a fluke, call it whatever you want, but it was far from legit.

Well I just feel I should point out that M2K took his hand away from his controller to push his glasses back up for a second. About two seconds before the set ended.

Not sure if that affected anything.
I laughed when I saw this, not gonna disagree. XD

Also, who gave Dabuz permission to come here? :glare:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Do you have other secondaries that you use in tourney, 8BitMan?

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. I meant more along the lines of, the one I posted is the best one, and you're forgetting it. :p
the loli with the nice *** is number 3 IMO. Below the nun and main devil girl. (Yeah, idk the names xD)

@8bit: I give myself permission BECAUSE IM THE DAMN DABUZ :p

8Bitman

Smash Master
Do you have other secondaries that you use in tourney, 8BitMan?

I use "secondaries" in friendlies and such. But I have NEVER used another character in tourney other than R.O.B in all of the 11 legitimate tourneys I have attended.

Why do you ask?

@8bit: I give myself permission BECAUSE IM THE DAMN DABUZ :p
Still.... Not that important... Supposedly beating M2K makes someone important, so when you do that, come back and talk to me. XD

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I use "secondaries" in friendlies and such. But I have NEVER used another character in tourney other than R.O.B in all of the 11 legitimate tourneys I have attended.

Why do you ask?
Then why do you even go to tournaments if this one character will **** you into an oblivion aside from flukes. If you don't believe in your character then what are you doing playing him? I'm not saying the MU isn't terrible, I'm not saying M2K isn't better than OCEAN, but even M2K would probably tell you that he got outplayed. I don't care if he "knew the MU" or not. There are MKs that OCEAN beats that do know the MU inside and out. Like Kakera for instance who took out OCEAN at APEX. He's taken sets off of his MK too.
Saying that OCEAN's victory was just a fluke does nothing but insult him into the ground. OCEAN, nor the roughly 100 people watching live, would have never been so hyped if it was just a fluke. Japanese players don't take pride in flukes. You can take the set as what you will, but you will get nowhere with ROB if you don't believe in ROB.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
It's not that it was a fluke, it just shouldn't have happened really. Ocean is lucky M2K plays like a wet sack of potatoes when cheered against.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Dabuz vs. OCEAN would be rather interesting actually, and can we get some inputs from OCEAN and Nietono as what they think about the MU? Sorry for believing in R.O.B.; I guess I should just shut up by now.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
There is a difference between believing in Rob and being overbiased about Rob. You remind me of Doc King actually.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
There is a difference between believing in Rob and being overbiased about Rob. You remind me of Doc King actually.
I'm not saying that rob is god or anything.
I'm not saying he's better than even half the roster.
I do see a lot of potential in him.

edit:
After rereading, that quote might not even be directed at me. Either way, that's where I stand.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I'm not saying that rob is god or anything.
I'm not saying he's better than even half the roster.
I do see a lot of potential in him.

edit:
After rereading, that quote might not even be directed at me. Either way, that's where I stand.
It was directed at ccst who I find a little bit overoptimistic about Rob.
I agree with your opinion though.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
oh yeah guys, when i wach his matches, I noticed that ocean does a LOT of this 360 turn business, being that he turns away, then turns back to do whatever actionhe's doing. It seems utterly pointless. but after testing it myself it appears to be really affective.
My reasoning for this is that it moves robs most sticky-out part of his front (his arms) completely out of the picture, for a moment, its also a nice way of moving back just a little bit. Seems strange though, it shouldnt work as well as it does

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Problem? I'm really pessimistic about R.O.B. (and you know it) but not when it comes to the Olimar MU. Let me enjoy it and believe that R.O.B. has the favour then, if that's that hard lol.

8Bitman

Smash Master
-_- *Sigh*

Mister Eric, you don't understand my stand point toward R.O.B... I would have loved to be at APEX, I would have been in aw to have met OCEAN and to finally play him. I am not insulting him, nor am not insulting anything or anyone as a matter of fact. I respect OCEAN more than anyone R.O.B in the world. I would have said the same thing if I BEAT M2K....

Because if I beat the best MK in the world then I would assume he sandbagged, etc. I am not going to get into the MK MU. But I know damn well none of us can beat M2K, unless he simply does not care.

I go to tournaments because I love Super Smash Bros. Brawl, because I love the feeling when I don't go to a tourney for 2+ Months and come back and show everything I have improved on or learned. I go for the love of the game, and for the love of my character. You make it sound as if i hate R.O.B, last time I remember I said, multiple times, that I have mained him since Brawl's release. If I hated R.O.B, THEN WHY IN THE **** DO I STILL MAIN HIM?

I love it when people surround a T.V, that you're on, and people chant your name. I love the Hype, the community, the emotions and joy that come from it. Why do you ask that I go to tourneys? That is why!

So because I call ONE SET a fluke, I am not supposed to go to tournaments and drop my main that I have put my heart and soul into? No, I don't think so. I have more dedication to my character than most of you, and I am not assuming. I don't use Secondaries, because I want to win with MY MAIN, R.O.B.

Top Bottom