• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Road to TGC 2! Full results are up (131 entrants)! A new Champion has appeared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
TGC.jpg

The Road to TGC 2 was the final event of the "test" events in regards to the future of the Texas Gaming Championships series here in Houston, TX. I have learned a lot about this game, the new players and how ill be running things at the new venues we have in store for the future. The turn out for this TGC was bigger than i had ever thought it could be and some of the best matches ive seen in Smash 4 (so far) happened before i had to leave the venue so i am glad i got to see that.

Sadly, Houston was defeated at the hands of San Antonio this time around. So as far as scores go here at TGC, Houston 1, San Antonio 1, Dallas 0.

Like last time, i greatly appreciate @Bwett and @TourneyLocator for the excellent offline stream/recording services they provided TGC. Even more importantly, i owe @ alex mora alex mora and @Krebs my life for running TGC when i had to leave the venue to go see my dad in the hospital.

I need to apologize to my friend/potential girlfriend Tori for missing our date Saturday. The hospital thing had to take priority over everything else.

Smash WiiU 1vs1 (131 entrants)

The Road to TGC 2
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
MegaFox
$327.50
2nd
FlipHop
$131.00
3rd
Denti
$91.70
4th
GrimTurtle
$58.95
5th
Dao
$22.93
5th
Trela
$22.93
7th
Kprime
7th
Espy
9th
Zori
9th
Dojo
9th
RunCT
13th
Kira
13th
SnorlaxPie500
13th
YellowRello
13th
Sync
17th
Nidak
17th
BlueBird
17th
Chip
17th
Zro
17th
Leaf
17th
Tesh
17th
Tipy
17th
Iggy
25th
Goof
25th
Valdens
25th
NK
25th
Opelousai
25th
Paw
25th
Avoid
25th
Gnes
25th
MPH
33rd
BlackEgg
33rd
BC
33rd
Kuro
33rd
BlueNinjaKoopa
33rd
Felix Faction
33rd
NAUJosh
33rd
Vash
33rd
Kitz
33rd
Gamma
33rd
Bonren
33rd
Swaka
33rd
Xyro
33rd
Aaron
33rd
Nanasuki
33rd
Furbs
33rd
Incendiary
49th
Kirby
49th
Broly Legs
49th
Jebus
49th
RadonFlux
49th
Nasty
49th
Crawfish
49th
BlueJay
49th
SsS7
49th
Xray
49th
Castro
49th
Martez
49th
X93
49th
Spark
49th
Tot
49th
KingOctopus
49th
OjihSama
65th
KelpNougatCrunch
65th
ZamReaper
65th
Sajj
65th
Neko
65th
NearGood
65th
Gimmemorathat
65th
Greed
65th
Dreoh
65th
Cake
65th
Juju
65th
Dang
65th
Gaius
65th
Owl
65th
Beatle
65th
2k00p
65th
Jones
65th
Zura
65th
TVBlaze
65th
Dskro
65th
Broducer
65th
Waldo
65th
Edi
65th
Doggy
65th
Gwolf
65th
Grandmuh
65th
RageToast
65th
RY
65th
Intoxic
65th
Dino
65th
Lego
65th
Fernando
65th
DeadlyShock
97th
Stripher
97th
Krebs
97th
Nair
97th
Mike Kaos
97th
Slip
97th
ABK
97th
Tony Martinez
97th
MeerKash
97th
Gabriel
97th
Fro
97th
Nrco
97th
kid
97th
Fellini
97th
P4
97th
Joshua
97th
NeonScar
97th
Onion
97th
OhPZNerd
97th
BehindTint
97th
Zuzax
97th
LilNest
97th
Frogy
97th
Tallman
97th
Cuauh
97th
JXL
97th
JayTanTra
97th
Ricky
97th
HotPants
97th
GameKirby
97th
TrevX
97th
Pope
97th
GHJR
129th
Danish
129th
Since
129th
StarLord

Smash WiiU 2vs2 (37 teams)

1: Denti+Bwett:4sheik:+:4falcon:
1: MegaFox+Espy:4fox:+:4sonic:
3: YellowRello+Razer:4yoshi:+:4falcon:/:4littlemac:
4: Sync+BC:4villager:+:4villagerf:
5: ALSM+Iggy:4palutena:+:rosalina:
5: Dojo+Cake:4sheik:+:4sonic:
7: Gnes+Zori:4robinf:+:4megaman:
7: Swaka+RunCT:4falcon:+:4luigi:
9: Avoid+BlueBird:4yoshi:+:4marth:
9: Trela+RT
9: SnorlaxPie500+Paw:4diddy:+:4zss:
9: Kitz+Opelousai
13: Kprime+Valdens
13: Leaf+TvBlaze
13: KingOctopus+Spark
13: Martez+BlueKoopaNinja
17: Aaron+Tony
17: Xyro+Zro:4samus:+:4mario:
17: Bonren+Gwolf
17: RY+MPH
17: Kira+Goof
17: Dao+Furbs
17 P4+Tallman
17: BrolyLegs+Joe
25: Fro+Vash
25: BlackEgg+Danish
25: Jones+TrevX
25: JanTanTra+Ricky
25: NK+Gamma
25: Gimmemorathat+Crawfish
25: NAUJosh+GHJR
25: HotPants+Owl
33: Broducer+X93
33: Grandmuh+Frogy
33: Nasty+Juju
33:Jojo+Cody
33: SsS7+Tot

Mario Kart 8

Cancelled due to lack of interest.....

Other

The Road to TGC 2 Tournament Discussion
Challonge 1vs1 Bracket
Challonge 2vs2 Bracket
TGC Video/Stream Thread
Houston Thread
Follow Me on Twitter

Last edited:

Xyro77

Here are some final bits of information you need to know before attending this event.

1. I am in great need of full set-ups. WiiU/Smash 4 or Mario Kart 8/TV. If you bring a full set-up, i will compensate you at the next TGC with half off venue fee or a drink coupon or something. Remember, if you want plenty of practice before/between matches, we need full set-ups. There is no other way.

2. Obeying the time slots are a MUST. I will make no exceptions this time around because i want this event to start/end on time.

Xyro arrives to set-up @ 9:00am
Registration/Practice @ 10:00am
Smash 4 1vs1 (WiiU) @ 11:30am
Smash 4 2vs2 (WiiU) @ 2:00pm
Food break @ 4:00pm (your only chance to eat without being DQed)
Mario Kart 8 (WiiU) @ 5:00pm
Leave the venue @ midnite

3. Be sure and read/be familiar with the rules to this event. Many things are different than they were at TGC 2. The more educated you are on the rules the better prepared you will be on the day of the event. The rules can be found on the tournament discussion page.

4. The weather will be in the low to mid 70s on Saturday but please bring a jacket just in case. We wouldn't want people johning about being too cold, would we?

5. Though not mandatory, it would help me out a ton if you all bring $5 and $1 bills when paying/registering for events. It speeds up registration and makes paying out players easier. Again, just a recommendation.

6. Like last time, the free food is limited to first come first served. So the earlier you get here and the earlier you get in line, the more "guaranteed" you will be to get food.

7. If you need housing before or after TGC, please contact @ Sync. Sync. and or @ Leaf. Leaf. they will help you.

8. Finally, due to be being extremely busy today and tomorrow, i have already created the results thread for TGC 2. Please go here to further discuss this event, make predictions and check on bracket updates/results...etc. It can be found here: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-road-to-tgc-2-results-on-12-6-2014.381295/

Last edited:

Xyro77

I apologize for having to leave early. My father went to the hospital for internal bleeding. It was a long night.

Alex/Devin, thank you guys so for picking up the slack while I was gone.

I'll post full results and more tonight.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Same. Wish you and your father the best Xyro

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
I hope your father is OK Xyro and You did a great job running the event. Customs legal/off whatever I'll always support your events. Also, double Villager ftw can't wait to see those doubles results

Also people counting down and then cheering when people got DQ'd that was messed up but funny as hell

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
My only real complaints are the delayed start time and how unorganized the setups were at the very start of the event, but one is just the result of a larger than predicted attendance, and the other was fixed up right away.

Top 8 not being paid out in an event of this scale sucks too. I didn't know it was only top 4.

Thanks to Xyro and his crew for running the tournament at a pretty amazing pace, Bwett for the nice recording setup, and to everyone I played for some good games. Smash 4's still very young, so I look forward to how things end up from here on out.

Obligatory Diddy's stupid comment.

See you guys next time. :applejack:

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
One, the disorganization of missing TVs did slow things down to start. That should have been long set up before bracket was announced. Don't know what happened there.

Why isn't pay out to top 8 especially for this event? We used to have where X amount of entrants = to a certain pay out. 131 entrants definitely warrants top 8 being paid out for making it so far. Why did we stop this? Doesn't make sense.

After speaking and listening to plenty of people, I don't understand why doubles starts before singles. I'm pretty sure almost everyone wants doubles to start at 11:30am-12pm. They like to use it as warm ups, it can be finished by 3 o'clock and singles can start when doubles is dwindling down. Starting doubles during the singles bracket causes hold ups and hurts running of the event. Look what happened here. Doubles didn't even get to finish AGAIN. Top 3 had to split but Denti/Bwett didn't want to, so loser finals was rushed in a 2/3 set. Ridiculous for the players. Don't treat doubles like some side event. SEVENTY FOUR (74) people entered the doubles event. People really look forward to it and it looks like it's on the back burner and starts late and doesn't even finish. We used to have doubles first and then singles. This is been the formula for most successful tournaments and like those we did in the past.

Lastly, I was absolutely furious with Fliphop being unseeded. I was literally called to the front to help with seeding and we ALL agreed where he should be and gave him a top 5 seed. Then I end up playing him in ROUND THREE where a bunch of other random matches were happening. That can literally give you inaccurate results by putting one of us in losers to early when it shouldn't happen being we're ranked 2-3 in this city. He went unseeded after we seeded. Simply inexcusable and upsetting.

Other than that, I'm glad to see so many new faces in the scene and such a good turnout. I'm hoping the next event at the new venue is more organized and ran seamless for the future.

Last edited:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I had a lot of fun at this tournament. Everyone I played greatly sharpened my skill, thank you all for the good games.

In case you don't have any records on character usage, I used R.O.B. and Mario in singles and in doubles, and my partner in doubles used Little Mac and Lucario.

I'm from San Antonio so I was quietly rooting for Espy and Megafox and I'm glad they placed really well.

Also, double Villager in 2v2 is insane. More insane than that 1.0.3 SSB3DS thunder + bucket strategy because pocketed trees are 1000x stronger. Damn.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I agree with Razer. I actually completely forgot that we had said Flip should be seeded up front. I was wondering who sent you to loser's bracket so soon. :applejack:

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
I felt really bad about having to split the pot on teams. trust me i want competition and watching teams is fun to me and i really didnt wanna have to do that. Could have been avoided but thats my two-cents. Overall i had a bunch of fun helping TO and competing, finally understanding what this game is all about and starting to apply it. S/O to @ Xyro77 Xyro77 for running the event and @Krebs for helping us both out. S/O to the homies @ AvoiD AvoiD @ BlueBirdE BlueBirdE @ UltimateRazer UltimateRazer @ Fliphopper Fliphopper @ BC. BC. @ Leaf. Leaf. and many more. See you guys at FG 3 on the 27th! Cant make it the GFC this coming weekend sadly:(

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
I had a lot of fun at this tournament. Everyone I played greatly sharpened my skill, thank you all for the good games.

In case you don't have any records on character usage, I used R.O.B. and Mario in singles and in doubles, and my partner in doubles used Little Mac and Lucario.

I'm from San Antonio so I was quietly rooting for Espy and Megafox and I'm glad they placed really well.

Also, double Villager in 2v2 is insane. More insane than that 1.0.3 SSB3DS thunder + bucket strategy because pocketed trees are 1000x stronger. Damn.
getting killed by lucario with rage and aura at 65%..... broken.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Fun tourney, great seeing everyone. Great to see so many entrants and Texas still has a strong Smash scene.

See ya guys at the next event.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
I completely agree with Razer. Doubles should've started before singles, especially with a turnout as huge and lack of setups as we had. Majority of the players didn't have an actual time to warm up (myself included) and imo it makes a significant difference on how well you do in the first few matches. Singles =/= Doubles, two completely different MAJOR events and should be treated as so and focused equally upon. Players who don't place well in singles may excel in doubles, and vice-versa. It shouldn't be one-sided based solely on the # of entrants, just organize/manage time better and come up with a plan on how to handle both. There's plenty of people in the community who could give great opinions and suggestions. Don't feel the need to put it on your shoulders alone. We understand that things happen and are always willing to help.

Despite a lot going wrong yesterday, the 3 TO's still did a good job keeping it under control and managing a stressful situation well. There should be more of an incentive for others to bring full set-ups because the ratio compared to the amount of players was unbelievably disappointing. At least allow someone to have free entrance to one event of their choosing, and if decided to enter more than one, pay accordingly. Or whatever you'd like to offer, but there HAS to be a change in how we're going about it. And it's much more than just telling others to bring set ups. Even if we have to constantly spam facebook/smashboards about it, it needs to be pushed and reminded onto others more.

Anyways, new faces and great players. Disappointed in my performance but I'll do better next time. Other s/o's coming later.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Shout outs to @ Xyro77 Xyro77 for running the biggest tournament so far and @Krebs @ alex mora alex mora for doing your thing and help make the tourney run as smoothly as possible at the time, great t see and hang with you guys. Also to the other homies @ AvoiD AvoiD @ Zori Zori @ Sync. Sync. @ Leaf. Leaf. @ Bonren Bonren @G-Wolf Lodusk, and so many more. It was great to see, play and chill. Can't wait for next time!

Last edited:

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Where can I find vids when they are available? RT was recording, if I recall correctly?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I recorded nothing. There were no free TVs to setup. I will look into investing in one for tourneys.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I'm starting to feel kind of guilty about not bringing a setup. I have a set up, but it's my only one and I don't have any name tags to put on the equipment nor do I have a marker to use to write my name on them, so I feared my **** getting stolen. I could've gone to Wal-Mart beforehand, but I didn't know I didn't have nametags/markers until the very last minute. The most I could bring was the gamecube controller adapter and luckily Martez had a marker I used to write my name on that. Not implying that Houston is full of thieves but I've heard horror stories of people's **** getting stolen before because they didn't mark their belongings and I didn't want to be the victim of theft. Sorry.

Last edited:

RunC.T.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RunC.T.
3DS FC
1204-0385-5852
enjoyed the tourney. lots of amazing games, people and experiences went down that day. I don't know all the technical aspects behind running a tourney, and I know it's hard work so props to the TO's as well.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Team Work Make The Dream Work! The Road to TGC 2 event was off the chain having a total of 175 players in attendance and 131 entrants for singles. I want to give a huge shoutouts to everyone that attended, all the players that traveled from all over Texas to this event, Illmatic and Kadin for the $150 money match and to Xyro tournament helpers Devin and Alex for helping run the brackets. We made history again with this event by setting a record and becoming the largest smash 4 monthly in America. I want to give a special shoutout to the champion Megafox (San Antonio), Bwett for recording and to all the new generation of players. Now that these 2 preview events are done we will be adding fighting games to the lineup come Texas Gaming Championships 1 along with a BYOC section and this event will be going down late Feb 2015. TGC 1 will feature pot bonuses for all the main games: (Smash Wii U) (Mario Kart 8) (Pokemon) (Ultra Street Fighter 4) (Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3) (Killer Instinct) and a special pot bonus to (Melee). This was one of my favorite events and I really enjoyed myself yesterday meeting the new players and chillin with the old school players. Im looking forward to seeing everyone at Texas Gaming Championships 1 and will keep everyone posted on the tournament date along with the TGC Mobile App release date. See you all soon!

Megafox Smash 4 Champion

Illmatic Vs Kadin $150 Money Match. Score 4-3 (Illmatic)

Crowd

Nkguy01

Smash Apprentice
Tourney was awesome. Cool seeing Bonren again and a lot of people I recognized from other previous tournies. The t.o's kicked ass lol man dqing everyone left and right. U r goin down next time RunCt. Diddy dittos are zzz but that Morton tho. Good stuff to top 8. Not sure who is in it but lots of people entered the tourney so it's worthy of something.

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
Tourney was awesome. Cool seeing Bonren again and a lot of people I recognized from other previous tournies. The t.o's kicked *** lol man dqing everyone left and right. U r goin down next time RunCt. Diddy dittos are zzz but that Morton tho. Good stuff to top 8. Not sure who is in it but lots of people entered the tourney so it's worthy of something.
lol it wasnt our mission to DQ people we gave them enough chances to show up but sucks to suck. i loved the crowd reactions to the DQ's made them a little more fun

Nkguy01

Smash Apprentice
lol it wasnt our mission to DQ people we gave them enough chances to show up but sucks to suck. i loved the crowd reactions to the DQ's made them a little more fun
yeah don't blame you guys. Way too many people to be waiting on. Seemed like a good method of getting things done.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
One of these days I'm gonna play in a tourney, look back on it, and think to myself "I think I made a solid impression". Seeing how my Denti match was the sheer definition of awful...and recorded...that's definitely not "now".

Only thing left is to enter more tourneys. Till next time. :4yoshi:

Player-4

See you in 25 years
The seeding for this tourney was **** and not paying out top 8 with 131 entrants is ****. Idk how people like Tesh are playing Megafox round 1 and Jimbo is playing Jimbo round 1, 2, and 3 and when you have Razer playing Flip round 3. Trash. I get there's a lot of stuff to do and time restrictions are a factor, but come on, take a few minutes and make sure what you're finalizing is correct and you won't have this problem.

goofierrez

Smash Rookie
NNID
goofierrez
Fun tourney. I liked the free food, no entrance fee, and my stuff not getting stolen! K bye!

Top Bottom