• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Road to TGC 1! Houston, TX! Houston OBLITERATES Dallas. Trela's Ridley is unstoppable!!!!!!!!!!

yoshidino

Smash Rookie
NNID
Radonflux
3DS FC
1977-0655-8862
I got a few characters to add

RadonFlux played Yoshi
Dino played Lucario
DeadlyShock played Greninja

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Denti the crowd was cheering in almost every top 8 match on the stream. You seem to be fixated on the fact that Houston was cheering in the pinnacle match that has been hyped up all month (you vs Trela). These matches were hyped in general. Even when you landed a clutch bouncing fish on MegaFox, we all cheered/exclaimed. So calm down on that. You're blowing that way out of proportion.

As for the cold, I can agree in terms of a complaint, but I could handle it. I wasn't running to the bathroom to rinse my hands in hot water lol. I'm sure adjustments will be made overall.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Unless someone has a weather control machine they are keeping a secret from the rest of us, the cold hand johns applied to EVERYONE then. Therefore, I propose an obvious refund for everyone, and Houston weather is banned from all future tournaments.

Last edited:

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
BlueBird - Luigi
HotPants - Captain Falcon
BlueNinjaKoopa - Mario
RT - Lucario/Lucina
Knife - Link
Hylen - Pikachu
Faris - Shulk
Alisha - ZSS

Gnes also played some Lucina I believe.

I regret not finding a partner in time and doing doubles. Missed out.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Trela, Razer and Megafox weigh like 90 pounds combined and they had no cold johns. You only brought it up when Megafox was saucing up them cheeks. I thought Trela's Charizard kept you plenty warm after Winner's Finals.

Tournament run late because people like you need a break after every set and every game to attend to your johns. Right after you complained, ABK closed the doors and there was no draft.

As for the crowd, we had alot of fun and we cheered for you, ALSM, Megafox etc. when ya'll did cool stuff so if you don't like it, plug some noice cancelling earphones into your 3DS.

#BouncingFruad
Dude, why so much hate? You did not act like this in person

KRDsonic

Smash Master
You can always ask around for a doubles partner and find someone. Me and Kirby just kinda decided to team last minute.

Edit: @ Denti: I can say from my point of view, the reason everyone was cheering so hard for Trela in winner's finals was a few reasons.
1. Trela is Houston, and obviously we're going to support our own representative. This is true of ANY competitive thing out there, sports, games, etc. When you go to someone else's homefield and you are playing against their person/team, they will cheer for that other person. The harsh reality is just that you'll have to get used to being cheered against when you go to another city and you're a top player and a prime target.

2. Game 2, people pretty much lost all faith in Trela and we figured the set would be a quick 0-3 for him from there. Then he went Charizard and most of us weren't sure of what to expect. Then suddenly he started doing really well and winning, and caught all of us off-guard, because he was easily the underdog at that point. So yes, people are going to cheer for him hard at that point because it was exciting to us. It's not something personal. Think of it in the flipside. If Trela was in Dallas and he was playing against a Dallas player and completely wiped the floor with them games 1 and 2, and then suddenly the Dallas player made an unexpected pick and started doing really well. You'd be excited wouldn't you? As would the rest of Dallas. And so you would cheer for that player.

Basically, just don't let it get to you. We were having fun watching, and it's a new smash game and there's still a lot to learn, and it's fun seeing moments like that. We just came out of a game where results were predictable and already knew the characters, and most matches resulted in camping and stuff. Now suddenly we have a smash game that is less campy, has actual combos, and is more fast-paced, and we have characters and changes that are new to us, so it's exciting and fun to watch. I know that I personally can't remember the last time I felt really hype about a Brawl tourny set in Texas, so I'm glad to finally have something to be hype about.

I feel like you're taking the cheering and stuff completely the wrong way, so I figured I'd say at least my viewpoint on it.

:059:

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Dakpo, Tesh is kinda like me when it comes to online. We like to poo talk online and then be normal civilized people irl.

For those of you that didn't know, razer/grim 3ds circle pad broke mid match vs megafox and caused him to die. The vids will show soon.

Speaking of megafox. He HAS to be the best fox in smash4. It's crazy to see a 9 year old smoke everybody.

juddy96

Smash Lord
Dakpo, Tesh is kinda like me when it comes to online. We like to poo talk online and then be normal civilized people irl.

For those of you that didn't know, razer/grim 3ds circle pad broke mid match vs megafox and caused him to die. The vids will show soon.

Speaking of megafox. He HAS to be the best fox in smash4. It's crazy to see a 9 year old smoke everybody.
LOL 9 year old? You aren't serious right

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Denti, you have been to that venue like half a dozen times for HOBO. We have pictures of you at the venue at previous events. No way you shouldn't have known it could be chilly when the sun went down. Plenty of folks in shorts and t shirts with no worries.

Better to have a cold venue than a hot one anyway. This venue isn't big enough for Wii U version anyway.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Denti, you have been to that venue like half a dozen times for HOBO. We have pictures of you at the venue at previous events. No way you shouldn't have known it could be chilly when the sun went down. Plenty of folks in shorts and t shirts with no worries.

Better to have a cold venue than a hot one anyway. This venue isn't big enough for Wii U version anyway.
I can't wait for the summer ones. You'll be hearing the "I'M DEHYDRATED!" johns.

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
I'm owl.

Was playing Megaman and Diddy.

Was a bit cold, but running to the bathroom to warm your hands? idk man.

As far as how it was run, doubles took too long to get going. Mostly because people shouldn't take over an hour to get food. But if we had set times thing maybe they wouldn't have left. I would recommend having a laptop+printer and printing out the bracket so everyone can see and we don't have to have each match announced. It works for mtg and it should work for 3ds stuff since everyone has their own system.

For my experience, i had a lot of fun, I could have placed better but i fought megafox early and got sent to losers (he's the best fox i've ever seen), and then I fought the first sm4sh meta knight I've ever seen in my life and he clutched out a super close game. It won't happen again!

I'll be coming back dec 6th from san marcos

Bonren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bonren
3DS FC
1564-2345-5130
I (Gamma) played falco in singles btw.

Bonren - surprised I made it as far as you did. You knocked out my first match so next time we fight expect to get owned.
Ooooh man!
I got my eye out for you!

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Off the chain event! The Road to TGC 1 had a total of 150 players in attendance including spectators and competitors. I want to give a huge shoutout to everyone that attended and to the Nintendo rep for giving me prizes to give out to the players/champions. We made history with this event by setting the USA record with 73 entrants for smash. I want to give special shoutouts to all the champions, Bwett for recording and the photographer who did the media coverage. As a reminder, these 2 events are just preview events and will be adding fighting games to the lineup come Texas Gaming Championships 1. I really enjoyed myself yesterday meeting the new generation of players and chillin with the old school players. A new era has begun and look forward to seeing everyone at The Road to TGC 2, Dec 6. See you all soon!

Smash 4 3Ds Supreme Champion Trela. The evolution since: Play N Trade :004:/Hobo/Whobos:005: /TGC:006:

Mario Kart 8 Champions

Pokemon X & Y Champions

TVBlaze

Smash Rookie
Was a lot of fun. Shout out to all the people I played and to trela for bringing it back with charizard ill see everyone at tgc 2 and hopefully ill place a little better just looking for progress

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
You know, Houston may have won overall, but it's not like DFW didn't take most of the top 8 spots. Denti's our best player, but then we have other good players like Jumpman, Awestin, Oracle, Sethlon, Infinity, Blink, NotSoShyGuy, Pwing, even Bwett, who didn't enter the tournament, who could rep DFW, even more when the Wii U version drops (UTD Zac, D4BA, etc.). Obviously, Houston has its fair share of good players, too. It really just came down to Denti vs. Trela; we almost had it too, even in doubles (losing Game 5 in both Winners Finals and Losers Finals is disappointing when you're close but not able to finish :( )

I hope some of you guys will come up to our tournament this weekend for Round 2.

Top Bottom