• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Road to TGC 1! Houston, TX! Houston OBLITERATES Dallas. Trela's Ridley is unstoppable!!!!!!!!!!

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
TGC-Logo-Neon-Lights-smashboards.jpg

The Road to TGC 1 is happened on Nov 1st 2014 in Houston, TX. 73 players entered smash 3ds 1vs1 and to my knowledge this is the largest monthly Smash 3ds event to ever happen in the USA thus far. I am extremely thankful for all the support everybody have given TGC today. From the Dallas players (denti/Alsm/Iggy/Dakpo) to the San Antonio players (MegaFox, Mega Sister, Mega Sister's Mega Husband) and of course the old and new Houston players, I thank all of you for coming out to The Road to TGC.

An super special thank you goes to Tourney Locator and Bwett for providing an excellent video recording service. Bwett says with in the next 24-48 hours all videos recorded at TGC will be uploaded so check back here or Tourney Locator's official Youtube Channel. Thanks, Bwett :)

Last but definitely not least, i feel like i should give a special shoutout to Camille Rink for helping me take entry money and going around the venue and taking 8000000 pictures of the players in action. Its rare that we get this kind of treatment and it means a lot.

Smash 3ds 1vs1 (73 entrants)

1: Trela :4robinf::4shulk::4charizard:
2: Denti :4sheik:
3: MegaFox :4fox:
4: GrimTurtle:4falcon::4morton:
5: Dakpo:4zss:
5: Avoid :4littlemac:
7: Alsm :4palutena::4sheik:
7: Iggy :rosalina::4megaman:
9: BC :4villagerf:
9: Sync :4greninja:
9: Gnes :4darkpit:
9: Nidak :4rob::4littlemac:
13: Jerm :4palutena::4tlink:
13: Tesh :4megaman:
13: Tot :4dedede::4lucario:
13: BlueBird :4luigi:
17: Zori :4megaman:
17: Bonren :4mario:
17: Leaf :4pikachu:
17: NK :4peach:
17: HotPants :4falcon:
17: Gamma :4falco:
17: DL
17: BlueNinjaKoopa :4mario:
25: Xyro :4lucina:
25: Shok :4bowser:
25: RT :4lucario:
25: C12 :4rob:
25: Word
25: SolaceBuster :4dedede:
25: Lodusk :4metaknight:
25: Unit167
33: ChuggaCC
33: BlockHead :4wiifit::4dk:
33: Paul
33: X-ray
33: Knife :4link:
33: TVBlaze:4yoshi:
33: ElectronBabies
33: Owl :4megaman::4diddy:
33: Nanasuki :4zelda:
33: GimmeMoraThat :4yoshi:
33: Slip
33: RageToast
33: Niko
33: Gaius :4pit::4sheik:
33: RadonFlux :4yoshi:
33: InToxic :4miibrawl:
49: Angel :4pacman:
49: DeadlyShock :4greninja:
49: KayFlow7
49: DrMarioKart
49: Onion :4lucina::4fox:
49: Doggy
49: Hylen :4tlink::4pikachu:
49: G-Wolf :4falco:
49: KRD :4sheik:
49: Meerkash
49: Aion
49: Nick
49: Law :4marth:
49: NoH
49: DinoDono :4lucario:
49: Asa :4ness:
65: Canna
65: Faris :4shulk:
65: Alisha :4zss:
65: RunCT :rosalina:
65: Kirby :4zelda::4robinf:
65: Mourir
65: Ronnie :4gaw:
65: GameKirby
65: Isaiah

Smash 3ds 2vs2 (14 teams)

1: GrimTurtle+Tesh :4falcon:+:4megaman: (split)
1: MegaFox+InToxic :4fox:+:4miibrawl: (split)
3: Iggy+ALSM :rosalina:+:4sheik::4palutena:
4: Denti+Dakpo :4sheik:+:4zss:
5: Gnes+Zori :4darkpit:+:4megaman:
5: Kirby+KRD :4zelda:+:4lucario:
7: Gamma+NK :4falco:+:4peach:
7: Trela+RT :4robinf:+:4lucario: (forfeit)
9: Sync+Jerm
9: GimmeMoraThat+BlockHead
9: Xyro+Nick :4shulk::4lucina:+:4wario2:
9: Leaf+TVBlaze
13: DrMarioKart+ElectronBabies
13: HotPants+Owl
13: Slip+nanasuki
13: Bc+tot

Mario Kart 8 (16 entrants)

1: Iggy :4iggy:
2: Shok :4bowser:
3: Chip :4yoshi:
4: Nidak :4morton:

5th-16th drown in pools

Pokemon X/Y (9 entrants)

1: Nixillis
2: Sync
3: Chip
4: Krebs
5: TVBlaze
5: Aion
7: KayFlow7
7: Angel
9: David

Other info

The Road to TGC tournament discussion
Challonge 1vs1 Bracket
Challonge 2vs2 Bracket
TGC Video/Stream thread
Houston Thread
Follow Me On Twitter

Last edited:

Xyro77

Final reminder before the tournament!

1. Please be at the venue by 10-10:30am with your EventBrite Ticket or confirmation email. This will give you time to practice, sign up and get some food. The food is first come first serve and only if you enter at least one event. We start at 11:35 and i will NOT accept any late entrants.

2. Though it is not required, please bring a full set-up, controller and a 3ds charger to this event. Mario Kart 8, Pokemon X+Y, Smash 4 and a console+Tv will be greatly appreciated. Having plenty of set-ups will allow everybody more matches and help end the event faster.

3. If you get knocked out of the tournament, you are still allowed to hang around the venue and play with us the rest of the day. But if full set-ups are low and we are running behind on time, i will stop all friendlies in order to finish the tournament.

4. If possible, please bring $5 bills and $1 bills so that i don't have to run and get change for everybody every 10mins.

5. To help answer as many questions as fast as possible, please post all further questions/discussions here in this thread. Posting here will help condense all the discussion and allow me to view/answer with ease. The results thread will have results posted within 24 hours of the tournament.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Here are the remaining smash events for 2014 in Houston Tx. We would love to see you attend these events, place well and make some friends along the way. If you have any questions about these events, please post in the respective link. I hope to see you there :)

For Glory 2
11/8/2014
The Woodlands

SWF tournament page
http://smashboards.com/threads/nov-...ee-pm-3ds-monthly-the-woodlands-texas.371410/

GFC 2
11/14/2014
Jersey Village

SWF tournament page
http://smashboards.com/threads/nov-...mash-3ds-tournament-jersey-village-tx.375291/

The Road to TGC 2
12/6/2014
Houston

SWF tournament page
http://smashboards.com/threads/dec-...-2-free-food-free-venue-houston-texas.370613/
Facebook event page
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=801997049821247

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Trela also used and won with Shulk in singles. My character usage for teams is little mac, falcon, doctor mario

LOOK AT THAT CHARACTER DIVERSITY IN TOP 8!

Shout outs later.

Krebs

Smash Journeyman
I know a few of those:
ToT used D3 and Lucario.
Angel (49th) mains Pac-Man.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Wait, why are Trela and RT listed below me and Kirby in teams? I know it says forfeit from them, but we played out that set and they won.

Oh, and for teams, Kirby went Zelda and I went Lucario.

:059:

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
Tot: Dedede, Lucario
NK: Peach
Shok: Bowser
Blokhead: DK, Wii Fit
TVBlaze: Yoshi
Hylen: Toon Link
Dino: Lucario

Xyro77

I'll add in the corrections as soon as I can. If you all notice any more, please tell me.

Thanks guys.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Fun times guys.

Kind of sucked dubs went the way they did, but no biggie.

Get your johns in now, because once the Wii U version comes out, no johns.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
@ Xyro77 Xyro77 I wanted to say thank you for the awesome event. As my first tournament, I have to say I enjoyed it a lot and definitely would like to become a regular to the series.A lot of hype and close games the whole way (looking at you Gnes!). I almost made top 8 so that's a goal for myself. Also you can add luigi to my character usage for singles I played him the whole way through.

Edit: I can't believe i forgot to mention all the great friends I met there too haha I know you see this I already followed you guys. Thanks for the chill times and beatings. We will meet again and next time no projects to get in the way

Last edited:

Bonren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bonren
3DS FC
1564-2345-5130
The tournament was so much fun!
Heres some characters to add:
BlueBird played Luigi
Bonren played Mario
G-Wolf played Falco
Lodusk played Metaknight
Law played Marth

Xyro77

I was SolaceBuster...using DeDeDe...

...yeah...
It's ok, man. Not reaching top 8 is kinda a good thing in a way. It gives you something to strive for. Gives you the drive to train, practice with friends and travel to events to prove your skills and make yourself known.

A loss isn't bad. A loss is a stepping stone to victory.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Xyro, I have some serious suggestions for how the tournament was ran, not ruleset-related. Just when you have the time. Not sure if you care or not. Because having the tournament going past 12:00AM should not have happened, and it can only get worse when we're confined to limited number of Wii Us...

Last edited:

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Lemme go ahead and get my s/o's in.

Only the 2nd tournament I've actually been to. Long, but it was a great experience.

@ Xyro77 Xyro77 TGC was a lot fun, thanks for hosting it! Your humor is definitely something that livens up the scene, always keep things entertaining which makes people settle in more easily/comfortably to a different environment. Good seeing you again though man, been almost four years lol. Gonna try to make it out to the next few tournaments.

@Trela Well played Trela boy, well played. Shulk's counter killing at 40-60% twice is unreal to me still smh. Good job winning the event ya *****! Heard your Charizard took out Denti in finals.. you broken af, not the chars. Props man!! Always nice seeing you. Thanks for giving my cousin a few tips on Shulk afterwards as well lol.

@Bwett Appreciate all the advice and tips man, always nice to hear feedback from other Mac mains. Was hoping you were gonna participate but always next time! Wish we got to talk/play more. Super nice guy!

@megaFoX Good job getting 3rd! Well deserved, you played like a ****ing beast. Awesome Fox!

@ AeroLink_the_SoulMaster AeroLink_the_SoulMaster It was nice meeting you yo. Great player and had a lot of fun/learned a few things playing you. One being that I absolutely do not know the Palutena matchup whatsoever.

@ UltimateRazer UltimateRazer More like UltimateBitch. Nice seeing you again brotha, wish we got to play some/trash talk the eff outta each other more while I was there. Good job placing 4th with those chars, super diverse and unexpected. I'm coming for you in the next few upcoming tournaments. Wait on it boy.

@ iiGGYxD iiGGYxD Sweet Rosalina/D3. You gave me a scare in our set! A lot of fun playing against you though man. I need to learn more about customs lol. Good job winning in MK8 btw!

@ Kadin. Kadin. Crazy intense matches! Lmao Mac dittos were hilarious. We had to take it to the boxing ring yo! Great player, in this game and MK8. Mad fun getting to play you man.

@TheJerm Lol it was almost four years ago and you still recognized me from playing with Ozz. It was good seeing you again though man. You played amazing! TL and Palutena are scary. It was fun playing you, gotta get some more games in next time I'm around.

@Rockettrainer. I don't understand why you had to interrupt my date? You always doing something smh.. Lmao! I'm completely kidding. It was good seeing you again man, and fun games! Keep working, your Lucina and Lucario are sweeet.

Don't know if Hylen/BlueNinjaKoopa/Knife/Hotpants have an account or if I missed anyone, but had a lot of fun playing against you all and our conversations/getting to meet you. Haven't enjoyed myself this much playing a game in years. Definitely will try to come out to more tournaments.

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Super excited for videos. This is so much bigger than any tournament in SoCal. :o

Denti

Smash Master
So this tournament I learned that Charizard rock smash is karma for Brawl Olimar's whistle. Super armor then give the opponent 30%+!! Ahhh!!!! GJ alert.

Had fun regardless. Remembered how much I hated Houston crowds. Even something menotinus like unintentional unrewarding footstool had like 30+ people shaking the venue.

Outside of the amazing advertisement this tournament was doing and its awesome turnout it was a terrible experience. Top 3 was finished in 45-50 degree weather. I was legitametly teeth chattering and body shaking cold in top 3. Doubles started at 8pm and didnt finish until in the parking lot after midnight when the venue had already closed. But mostly I hated the coldness. After every other game I had to go to the restroom and soak my hands in hot water for 5 min. I even got a cup full of hot water so I could drink SOMETHING warm inbetween stocks.

Last edited:

Xyro77

RT, yeah me and Jerm were talking about it. Adjustments will be made immediately.

Zigsta, A key way to get huge turnout is to NOT do weeklies. Weeklies lessen the importance of monthlies and burns players out faster. East Coast has multiple weeklies of 20 but can never reach past 50 for monthlies. That's ridiculous.

Denti, you were not the only one who was cold. Doubles didn't start That late.

Last edited:

Nkguy01

Smash Apprentice
Cool seeing the Cypress crew and the dallas smashers.

I don't remember many names haha but I did play some pretty good people. Some guy that played Blue Yoshi...(GimmieMoreOthat?) Haha ridiculous Yoshi. Was fun playing your Mario Bonren. Also played some random guy that stopped by. You almost beat me with Villager ;). Zori, your megaman is annoying as poopballs :) Good stuff. Ugh and lost to Gheyninja ;) good stuff Sync. Good to Jerm for using Palutena. Her aerials are poop but you made her work. Awesome seeing Razer play Falcon. Good stuff to top 8. Love the character diversity. Hope it stays that way.

Last edited:

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
I (Gamma) played falco in singles btw.

Xyro - it was cool seeing you again. Always nice to see you keeping the scene strong. I will admit the venue was too cold for my tastes, but whatever haha.

Bonren - surprised I made it as far as you did. You knocked out my first match so next time we fight expect to get owned.

Kadin - Bro! I hadn't seen you in a long time. Felt funny when you called me old-school... Lol. You're super tall now too! Hope to see you again.

Jerm - That jab gimp you got on me made me salty. I hope to face you again for a rematch.

Trela - You're really feeling it!

Sync - that greninja was pretty good man. Keep it up.

Ggs to all. Thank god we'll have GameCube controllers soon.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Trela, Razer and Megafox weigh like 90 pounds combined and they had no cold johns. You only brought it up when Megafox was saucing up them cheeks. I thought Trela's Charizard kept you plenty warm after Winner's Finals.

Tournament run late because people like you need a break after every set and every game to attend to your johns. Right after you complained, ABK closed the doors and there was no draft.

As for the crowd, we had alot of fun and we cheered for you, ALSM, Megafox etc. when ya'll did cool stuff so if you don't like it, plug some noice cancelling earphones into your 3DS.

#BouncingFruad

Top Bottom