• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The right way to incorporate Minecraft into Smash Ultimate (Main idea in OP)

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
So according to Verg, some kind of Minecraft inclusion is supposed to be in Smash Ultimate right? And I've seen a lot of mentions of characters from minecraft, or a stage. But what if it was something deeper than that? What if the whole idea of Minecraft is incorporated in a mode in smash where you can create a stages in any way you wish? We've already seen two iterations of stage builder both with pros and cons (more cons in smash4's than brawl), but what if this time theres some really in depth customization tools that are kind of linked to minecraft (while still also using smash bros ultimate assets)?

Then further into the rabbit hole, what if this function/mode eventually got more and more tools added, and essentially became a modding tool for the entire game by the time it's updates have ended. I've mentioned both of these things before, but if Minecraft really is incorporated, this kind of thing would make some sense contextually no?

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I was also thinking Mario Maker would make sense as a cross over for this game mode as well, but minecraft would be a bigger deal at this point - and since minecraft has been mentioned in leaks already, it would probably make more sense.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Interesting idea but I honestly just do not see it happening, I think the minecraft thing will wind up being a creeper assist trophy but would not be surprised for this turns into just a couple trophies like rayman in the last game.

31fps

Banned via Warnings
Please don't.
There's already a thread for this. Or just post in in a speculation thread.

31fps

Banned via Warnings
There is?
I surfed in older threads the other day for like an hour and found one that discussed the general feeling of Steve from Minecraft and/or a stage being in the game. It never covered a stage builder, that should have been in the title of the thread.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I surfed in older threads the other day for like an hour and found one that discussed the general feeling of Steve from Minecraft and/or a stage being in the game. It never covered a stage builder, that should have been in the title of the thread.
Well I'm trying to bring up something that hasnt been mentioned before. Discussing steve or a stage is really a different topic. I wanted to see peoples thoughts on this.

Interesting idea but I honestly just do not see it happening, I think the minecraft thing will wind up being a creeper assist trophy but would not be surprised for this turns into just a couple trophies like rayman in the last game.
While this would be the simplest solution, I just feel like an assist trophy or even a character or a stage doesnt represent ANYTHING about what minecraft is. Minecraft characters are all generic nothings. And maps, theyre all created by YOU the player. The life of minecraft, the living character of minecraft, is its freedom of creating anything you want. So for these reasons i think the most accurate way to implement minecraft is within a stage builder/game builder mode that gives you all kinds of freedom to make what you want. Like mario maker, but smash, and marketed as minecraft. The menu, and the icons and aesthetics of the builder could have a bit of a minecraft feel, and that is how the minecraft character could be represented.

I can see why this might seem far fetched, but when i think about the former option, it just doesnt make sense. Theres no excitement in that.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A stage, assist trophy perhaps both. No more then that. Heck I'd even take Master Chief over Steve and I don't even want the former in Smash.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Apparently didn't. My bad.

Anyways I like it though I don't think it'll happen.
haha no worries.
its just that as i said minecraft has been said to be making an appearance in the game, and though i can think of one or 2 pretty cool moves for Steve, his moveset is certainly gona be lacking in content. And then an assist trophy really does no justice to the game so really that idea should be scrapped from anyones mind. Having a stage makes SOME sense, but still, its not much or a representation unless you can make the stage yourself. Which brings me to my point - stage builder.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Minecraft's representation will be one of the 3 IMO:

1. Creeper AT
  2. Ender Dragon Spirits Boss
  3. Steve playable
  4. (All of the above)
haha no worries.
its just that as i said minecraft has been said to be making an appearance in the game, and though i can think of one or 2 pretty cool moves for Steve, his moveset is certainly gona be lacking in content. And then an assist trophy really does no justice to the game so really that idea should be scrapped from anyones mind. Having a stage makes SOME sense, but still, its not much or a representation unless you can make the stage yourself. Which brings me to my point - stage builder.
There's a lot of moveset potential for Steve. According to this page, there are at least 361 items in Minecraft (when you take into account AT LEAST all of the potions.) Sakurai would have to take extreme liberties to make Steve work in Smash (I barely succeeded in making him work.)

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Minecraft's representation will be one of the 3 IMO:

1. Creeper AT
  2. Ender Dragon Spirits Boss
  3. Steve playable
  4. (All of the above)

There's a lot of moveset potential for Steve. According to this page, there are at least 361 items in Minecraft (when you take into account AT LEAST all of the potions.) Sakurai would have to take extreme liberties to make Steve work in Smash (I barely succeeded in making him work.)
So you dont think that a stage builder based on minecrafts freedom to create would be a smarter way to incorporate what minecraft is in smash?

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
So you dont think that a stage builder based on minecrafts freedom to create would be a smarter way to incorporate what minecraft is in smash?
Minecraft's terrain consists of blocks, slabs, & stairs.
1537239251266.png

Brawl's stage editor is already leagues ahead of a Minecraft-esque stage builder, I already rectangled the Minecraft-esque terrain. You could build blocks going all along the bottom and call it a Minecraft stage. It sounds you like you just want Brawl's stage builder back (in which I agree.)

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Minecraft's terrain consists of blocks, slabs, & stairs.
View attachment 165065
Brawl's stage editor is already leagues ahead of a Minecraft-esque stage builder, I already rectangled the Minecraft-esque terrain. You could build blocks going all along the bottom and call it a Minecraft stage. It sounds you like you just want Brawl's stage builder back (in which I agree.)
Well I want more than just the brawl stage builder. I want to be able to choose any stage aesthetic from any of the existing stages, and i want to not only be able to build the stage itself, but i want to be able to build backgrounds so that the stage can look like a thing.. like a castle, or a cave, or whatever - not just blocks randomly placed in the foreground. Id also want smaller block options to be able to make smoother edges (or even the ability to draw out parts of the stages like smash4 - the combination of having blocks and being able to draw would be great i think). More stage hazard options from different gimmicks that already exist in smash would be great as well. But also, the builder and tester in this stage builder, would be steve (instead of mario), and you can even affect the stage as steve using his pick axe or shovel while testing - andd, the aesthetic of the menu would look like minecraft.

On top of this, the stage builder can have unlockable items like in minecraft. As you build, steve can get better at building, and aquire new tools to make better stages, and over time as the game is supported, more tools and assets can be released to us. The stage builder could be a mini game in itself.

I also made the suggestion to have a "game builder" mode as well as stage builder. Where over time we get more and more tools to edit the game, and essentially get in depth modding tools like microsoft allows. Minecraft has all kinds of modding tools, and smash having modding tools as well would be amazing. Of course this is probably less likely, but in context it kind of makes more sense than just randomly adding it.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
Well I want more than just the brawl stage builder. I want to be able to choose any stage aesthetic from any of the existing stages, and i want to not only be able to build the stage itself, but i want to be able to build backgrounds so that the stage can look like a thing.. like a castle, or a cave, or whatever - not just blocks randomly placed in the foreground. Id also want smaller block options to be able to make smoother edges (or even the ability to draw out parts of the stages like smash4 - the combination of having blocks and being able to draw would be great i think). More stage hazard options from different gimmicks that already exist in smash would be great as well. But also, the builder and tester in this stage builder, would be steve (instead of mario), and you can even affect the stage as steve while testing - andd, the aesthetic of the menu would look like minecraft.

On top of this, the stage builder can have unlockable items like in minecraft. As you build, steve can get better at building, and aquire new tools to make better stages, and over time as the game is supported, more tools and assets can be released to us. The stage builder could be a mini game in itself.

I also made the suggestion to have a "game builder" mode as well as stage builder. Where over time we get more and more tools to edit the game, and essentially get in depth modding tools like microsoft allows. Minecraft has all kinds of modding tools, and smash having modding tools as well would be amazing. Of course this is probably less likely, but in context it kind of makes more sense than just randomly adding it.
While I love your idea and think that everything would be superb, modding tools would be a big no-no for Nintendo.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
While I love your idea and think that everything would be superb, modding tools would be a big no-no for Nintendo.
ya i know the modding tools part is a stretch because of that. i know nintendo is really weird about modding tools. BUT they have been breaking a lot of rules lately and surprising people. I feel like its a bit more likely than before (though that could be overly optimistic). That said, a "minecraft" stage builder could still work.

However, we could look at it in another way too. Smash4 had a lot of modifiers in the form of stickers or whatever they were. In a way these were modding tools. Also, smash has always had gravity modifiers, and speed modifiers etc. So if this system was refined and made to be more in depth and stramlined, it could be like having modding tools, but with a bit less freedom. As much as id like to be able to add any character model to the game, and create new moves, i know thats a lot less likely. But the concept of minecraft could give the illusion that we have this whole system where we can mod the game within nintendos parameters. I wana make this part clear too - what im suggesting would make it so that the system is a lot more streamline, and it would be easy to specifically edit things like weight, jump height, character speed, strength of attacks, speed of attacks, etc. Cause the old sticker system was a real pain in the ass to work with.

All this said, why is nintendo so against modding their stuff? Theres such a huge untapped market here that theyre not using.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think we may get Minecraft, and that we will get the inclusion against a Mario carpenter.
But I dont think it makes more sense for Nintendo to neuter its own franchise to promote Minecraft.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I stopped reading after that line. Seriously, there are still people to believe in all those bull-bull?
Verg has a good track record. And wether or not he's legit it's still fun to think about these things.

I think we may get Minecraft, and that we will get the inclusion against a Mario carpenter.
But I dont think it makes more sense for Nintendo to neuter its own franchise to promote Minecraft.
How would it be neutering it's franchise? And what do you mean by a Mario carpenter? Like Mario maker?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
How would it be neutering it's franchise? And what do you mean by a Mario carpenter? Like Mario maker?
I did mean Carpenter Mario as Mario Maker Mario. Was he given another name?

As far as neutering- Minecrat is by no means the same as Mario Maker, but there is not a financial benefit to Nintendo to take stake in Minecraft as an altering form of Smash as a whole, instead of Mario Maker. They may make a few fans and a few sales by making a stronger Minecraft mode, but it would not compare to the brand damage they would be doing by claiming Mario Maker is not of a similar vain. It is de facto claiming Minecraft is better, as far as branding goes.

Now, as for any inclusion of Minecraft at all- sure, as far as any other series is involved. A mode? No... that just is not a financially feasible option.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I did mean Carpenter Mario as Mario Maker Mario. Was he given another name?

As far as neutering- Minecrat is by no means the same as Mario Maker, but there is not a financial benefit to Nintendo to take stake in Minecraft as an altering form of Smash as a whole, instead of Mario Maker. They may make a few fans and a few sales by making a stronger Minecraft mode, but it would not compare to the brand damage they would be doing by claiming Mario Maker is not of a similar vain. It is de facto claiming Minecraft is better, as far as branding goes.

Now, as for any inclusion of Minecraft at all- sure, as far as any other series is involved. A mode? No... that just is not a financially feasible option.
i didnt know he was called carpenter mario haha.

a mario maker mode would be just as great. i was just thinking inclusion of minecraft doesnt make a lota sense in the form of a character or assist trophy. the characters arent what make minecraft what it is, whereas for other games like mario or zelda, the main protagonist is how you navigate the world. In minecraft, the character you use is only there to build the world.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
If I’m understanding OP correctly, I don’t think Minecraft is going to get in and affect an entire mode. A stage or assist or character would make sense, but to base the entirety of stage builder off of a single game that’s not even Nintendo, doesn’t make much sense to me.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
If I’m understanding OP correctly, I don’t think Minecraft is going to get in and affect an entire mode. A stage or assist or character would make sense, but to base the entirety of stage builder off of a single game that’s not even Nintendo, doesn’t make much sense to me.
Well maybe not the entire mode has to be based on minecraft, but it could use some ideas from minecraft, and be sprinkled with some minecraft influence/aesthetic. I just think that CUSTOMIZATION is what should be included in smash from minecraft rather than a character, assist or stage.

Khao

Smash Lord
I feel like a Minecraft-themed stage builder would be more of a limitation than what we've gotten before. You either have to break most rules of it's aesthetic, or lack a ton of ridiculously basic stuff like slopes, or jump-through platforms. Also, basing the whole thing around a single specific aesthetic when it's supposed to work for an entire crossover with a large variety of styles just isn't a good idea. This is why we always get generic themes as opposed to, say, a Mario-themed stage builder. It has to work across all types of characters.

Also Minecraft is an ugly game and filled with amateurish pixel-art and style inconsistency so no thanks, I don't want it on all of my custom stages.

EDIT: Wait, so you don't want the Minecraft aesthetic? I'm a bit confused, why call it Minecraft, then?

Honestly the idea just sounds messy in general. The game has nothing to do with Minecraft. Even though Minecraft is about creation, a Minecraft-themed stage builder, even if only in name, would feel extremely out of place unless Minecraft was actually a big prescense in the rest of the game.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Personally I don't think there is a right way to incorporate Minecraft in. The best they could do without there being much controversy is have a stage. Aria Math being part of the Smash soundtrack would be pretty cool.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
the only right way to incoperate minecraft into smash IS TO HAVE BANJO KAZOOIE PLAYABLE! otherwise I'll RIOT ! I'm fine with minecraft i play it but i'll be POd if they ask for MC content & not have banjo in base game

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
the only right way to incoperate minecraft into smash IS TO HAVE BANJO KAZOOIE PLAYABLE! otherwise I'll RIOT ! I'm fine with minecraft i play it but i'll be POd if they ask for MC content & not have banjo in base game
You've heard about Vergeben right?

Top Bottom