• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So I read some theories on the posts here and I went back to watch the video. Here is how I see it.

1. There are no platforms on the stage where Ridley's shadow is shown, which sort of means it must be the Final Destination version (which has no hazards correct? Still items and so on)
2. What we dont see, might be Ridley's Final Smash, which as an idea could keep him up in the air to do some sort of iconic move like the wall-grind shown first in the Brawl Cutscene (granted there is a wall etc, at least grapple)
3. The size of the shadow could also be the fact how the light reflects it, it might not really be correct to his size. If you think about it, isn't the angle very weird and zoomed up, even Pikachu is quite large in those few seconds.

And again as many stated, there is something suspicious going on.

EDIT:
4. Ridley flies away but then he moves back again in the very last second of the clip, going back towards the center of the stage.. Why..?
Actually, based on this Pyrosphere pic, the shadows of the platform are JUST out of sight on the Ridley shadow teaser shot.

I'm an avid supporter, AND believe Ridley is playable, I'm just trying to clarify information the best I can.

Assuming what we actually saw was ridleys character model, how do you guys feel about him hovering above the ground at all times rather than walking?
Well, Mewtwo hovered a lot in Melee, I don't see why it would be an issue.

Charizard and Meta Knight also hovered above the ground while running.

Last edited:

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice
If Ridley isn't shown at E3, than what? Wait and speculate some more? Although the 3DS version is coming out soon. We should get our answer this summer.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
If Ridley isn't shown at E3, than what? Wait and speculate some more? Although the 3DS version is coming out soon. We should get our answer this summer.
That's pretty much all we can hope for. E3 is his last big chance. If not there, then all we've got left to hope for is a post-release confirmation. That's also assuming he isn't 100% confirmed as a boss hazard in the meantime of course.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Assuming what we actually saw was ridleys character model, how do you guys feel about him hovering above the ground at all times rather than walking?
I find it unlikely he hovers constantly. I really think what was shown was a 3 step thing:
1. Some sort of thing where he "flies" with the gravity defying mechanics of Peach's hover.
2. Then grabs anyone in front/below of him in the air. Just Ridley did not use an attack on Pikachu when he grabbed Pikachu
3. After grab is done, transitions into a glide.
Seems like some sort of extended recovery for him if someone tries to keep him off the stage.

If he hovered constantly on the ground, I'd find it strange since he's been shown to walk on the ground in the 3D games. I'd be okay with it, but would find it strange.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Something of note: If the Final Destination versions are supposed to have no items, where are the platforms?

Unless I missed something and one CAN have items on FD stages.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hopefully this cheers you and the rest of this thread up a bit. It'll give you guys something to do while biding your time until Ridley's reveal one way or the other, in any case.

Image saved for all time.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Something of note: If the Final Destination versions are supposed to have no items, where are the platforms?

It's possible that the camera angle was carefully chosen so the places where the platforms and their shadows would be are not visible. Which only makes this more and more suspicious.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
No.. I believe items are on the Final Destination maps if you choose so.

Items and terrain/hazards are different categories.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
It's possible that the camera angle was carefully chosen so the places where the platforms and their shadows would be are not visible. Which only makes this more and more suspicious.
But...there are clearly no platforms here.

And after looking at the shadow shot for a bit, I've concluded that platform shadows would be JUST out of camera sight.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe the reason why there were no platforms shown was because it could have been the Final Destination version of Pyrosphere...

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's possible the platform you're talking about might be just out of sight. I honestly have no idea because we don't know where exactly in space it is.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
Maybe the reason why there were no platforms shown was because it could have been the Final Destination version of Pyrosphere...
My idea exactly. Which means no hazards, if this were the case.
Which means it must be a playable entity. Now, it doesn't look like the model was a playable one.. But here's one more thing.
What if they were meant to do an half-arsed appearance, you know, just to remove it and then improve it to reveal Ridley properly. This 'flight mode' thing might not even exist really, maybe its just a setup.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
If Sakurai wanted to disconfirm Ridley, he'd show Ridley.
He showed a shadow, and I can think of 3 things that shadow could be off the top of my head.
That, combined with Sakurai's penchant for trolling, almost makes me think Ridley is playable even more.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

I'm pretty sure FD stages can have items (just like normal FD can), but no hazards so it is a good and clean fight.

@ Oasis_S Oasis_S
I feel you should hand over the ownership of this thread to someone else. This is the Ridley SUPPORT thread after all, and while I'm not criticizing the fact you think Ridley is not getting in, but it would seem better if this thread had a leader who still believe Ridley is possible and has a decent shot.
I'd be willing to fill that position. I'd fight for Ridley to the day he is directly shown as non-playable!

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Found this on the wiki, he did say this awhile ago:
  • Nintendo Power: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?
  • Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
  • Nintendo Power: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?
  • Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]
alright well in that case

smash 4 seems like there putting their best efforts in, ridley confirmed everyone

Speculator

Smash Ace
I'm going to say this for a second time; if you flat-out refuse to acknowledge this as an obvious deconfirmation (or at the very least a devastating blow to his chances) then you alone are responsible for your own disappointment. Not Sakurai. There's very little to gain from 'holding out hope' except a feeling of resentment.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If someone would actually LOOK AT PICTURES OF THE PYROSPHERE STAGE they would know there is no reason for the platforms or their shadows to be showing up.

So let's stop making up dumb theories.

AcanthusLux

Smash Rookie
Looking at the promotional pictures linked on the front page...

Bullet Bill confirmed as Pyrosphere stage boss

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Oasis_S Oasis_S
I feel you should hand over the ownership of this thread to someone else. This is the Ridley SUPPORT thread after all, and while I'm not criticizing the fact you think Ridley is not getting in, but it would seem better if this thread had a leader who still believe Ridley is possible and has a decent shot.
I'd be willing to fill that position. I'd fight for Ridley to the day he is directly shown as non-playable!
Yeahhh nice try Bidoof.
But Oasis isn't going to give up his precious thread. He's one of, if not the biggest Ridley supporter around.
The fact that he believes that Ridley is a hazard should ring a bell, if anything.
I still have a bit of hope, but what good is hope if it will likely just get crushed in the end?

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
i don't get it why you guys are just attacking each other right now.

ridley disconfirmed? too bad. we had fun guys.

you still sakurai is just playing a game and the fun is just getting started? join the club! we'll see you at E3

no one is going to f u cking tell me ridley is disconfirmed and i should believe that, just like i'm not going to bother anyone with saying ridley is still in the race to someone who think he's disconfirmed by now

leave each other alone.

n88

Smash Lord
I'm going to say this for a second time; if you flat-out refuse to acknowledge this as an obvious deconfirmation (or at the very least a devastating blow to his chances) then you alone are responsible for your own disappointment. Not Sakurai. There's very little to gain from 'holding out hope' except a feeling of resentment.
Thanks for the PSA, but I don't think you're going to win too many people over. People are still hopeful for Ridley because Sakurai danced around saying that Ridley was a boss in the direct instead of just coming out with it. It's cool if you think that it was a straightforward deconfirm and Sakurai just went about it weirdly. But there's some room for doubt, so why not just let people cross their fingers and hope for Ridley? I'm kinda cynical, but I manage not to pee in optimists' drinking water too often.

"A while ago" here meaning "about Brawl's development." He also said of Brawl's development that he didn't consider Villager to be a good inclusion. It means jack.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Yeahhh nice try Bidoof.
But Oasis isn't going to give up his precious thread. He's one of, if not the biggest Ridley supporter around.
The fact that he believes that Ridley is a hazard should ring a bell, if anything.
Meh. I mainly just want the "Confirmed as Boss" out of the title.

I still have a bit of hope, but what good is hope if it will likely just get crushed in the end?
The good of it is that you truly beloved something. You believed it to the point where it was firmly proved as false.
That is the true meaning of Christmas hoping for a character in Smash.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Being deliberately ambiguous and not actually saying much of anything is an "obvious deconfirmation"? Is this going to be "Up until now" the sequel? Hell, this is less of an outright ANYTHING than "up until now" was.

Sure it's a blow to his chances, but there are so many things wrong here that there is PROBABLY something going on. If you want to ignore analysis and bash people for thinking suspicious details and ambiguity could mean anything other than a total deconfirmation, then you can hang out outside the Ridley Support Thread until he is confirmed or deconfirmed. Then you can come in with your "I told you so's" which will inevitably happen either way, and we will proceed to not appreciate your attitude. Thanks.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
This PSA brought to you by Jelly That I'm Not Still On The Ridley Hype Train. :shades:

Less facetiously, I have to say that these "warnings" that have been cropping up here and elsewhere mystify me.

Who cares if people are or aren't disappointed, or are setting themselves up for disappointment (or not)? Or if they do or don't hold to some view, whether that view be justified or substantiated, or not? How are the emotional experiences of semi-anonymous forum dwellers at all the concerns of anyone else?

Maybe it's because I'm a total psychopath, but Internet Sympathy is a really weird concept to me. Why would someone who sees Ridley as deconfirmed feel the need to tell others to jump ship, to face "reality" or the "cold hard facts"? Why would someone who sees Ridley as still viable, even if only minimally, feel the need to tell others to keep the fires burning, or to chastise others for their weak resolve or somesuch?

It's a Dark Matter level of psychological mystery to me. But clearly, I'm in the vast minority in this.

Whatever the case, the games are going to come out within the year, and most of us will play it, with or without Ridley. That much is clear.

And suffice it to say that I intend to hang around here until Ridley's role is explicitly confirmed as a Stage Boss (as opposed to being implicitly alluded to in the Direct), as that will be the point where this thread will indeed become obsolete.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
After the Smash Direct, I am even more confident Ridley is playable.

The shadow and the troll in the trophy quiz thing make it so obvious to me. Both Ridley and Palutena are in the game.

Also, can a mod please change the thread title? Ridley wasn't confirmed or deconfirmed as anything.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Eventually, people are going to start defending Ridley's impending absence from the roster and saying Sakurai did what was right, and the roster is still 100% exempt from criticism because HOW DARE YOU not respect the team's work. I'm not going to bite against that yet, at least until K. Rool potentially follows suit, but that mentality grinds every gear in my body, and you guys oughtn't tolerate that sort of developer worship when it happens, either. There was every reason to add Ridley to the roster, and Sakurai's refusal to perfect what countless modders have done is just awful.
Gonna say right now I agree with this. Sakurai may be less "hitler style" with this game than brawl but that doesn't mean we should start accepting everything. Sure, we no longer have an NSider, but that means we should be even more vocal. Ridley, Rool, Madked Man, Krystal, Isaac, and many other fans do unite.

And before someone says "___ is stupid you're dumb shut up bkupa and thirdkoopa" hey, guess what? Not to bash but it's nowhere near as stupid as the average smash fanbase has degraded to on miiverse. If it was Waluigi or Ashley sure, but shrek? Goku? Minecraft Steve? Really?

Smady

Smash Master
After the Smash Direct, I am even more confident Ridley is playable.

The shadow and the troll in the trophy quiz thing make it so obvious to me. Both Ridley and Palutena are in the game.

Also, can a mod please change the thread title? Ridley wasn't confirmed or deconfirmed as anything.
Agree entirely with this post on Ridley as well, if anything the trolling of Ridley makes him a shoo-in for me. I'm not even a big fan of Ridley, if any popular character got that "we're going to show a shadow of maybe him, but maybe not, bye," I'd call BS on that too.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Meh. I mainly just want the "Confirmed as Boss" out of the title.

The good of it is that you truly beloved something. You believed it to the point where it was firmly proved as false.
That is the true meaning of Christmas hoping for a character in Smash.
Yeah oasis should add a "?" To the end of the thread title since he truly isn't confirmed to be anything.

Eskelsen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eskelsen
We saw his shadow at the same time Sakurai was talking about possible boss characters. The implication that he's a boss hazard is clearly there, you'd have to be dumb, insane, or in denial to not see it.
Exactly, he is obviously suggesting that Ridley is a boss but he never said anything specifically about Ridley. I believe that Ridley is a hazard -this is coming from a strong Ridley supporter- but maybe that's what Sakurai wants us to think, he clearly knows what he is doing.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
"Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]"

We've all seen this quote, though.. Now I am thinking more about the "slow" part being the time he is revealed.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Yeah oasis should add a "?" To the end of the thread title since he truly isn't confirmed to be anything.
was going to say it

btw I'm going to download the youtube video this Friday it seems that we can get a clearershot of the wing (someone posted it in a thread but I'm not sure if it's the best I can get) it seems there was some red color here which I need to check by frames because I'm even wondering iif it's ridley at all.

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The title is absolutely 100% accurate, lol.

Ridley. In his Other M incarnation. Is confirmed to appear on the Pyrosphere stage as a hazard.

That is a fact. And I'm not saying any more than what is true. He may or may not appear in another capacity. The title doesn't make a statement toward that. Only what is true. Wanting me to soften up the title to help some feel a little more hopeful and not have to face the facts is a little.

Pitiful?

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I think it is obvious he is a boss, but I also believe it boosts his chances of being in the game with him being teased all the time and not just announcing him.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't really get the point of changing the title anyway it's currently accurate based on current evidence. Besides it's not like at this point in development the roles of character will dramatically shifted based on how this thread is percieved.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The title is absolutely 100% accurate, lol.

Ridley. In his Other M incarnation. Is confirmed to appear on the Pyrosphere stage as a hazard.

That is a fact. And I'm not saying any more than what is true. He may or may not appear in another capacity. The title doesn't make a statement toward that. Only what is true. Wanting me to soften up the title to help some feel a little more hopeful and not have to face the facts is a little.

Pitiful?
Then why not have the title be Other M Ridley confirmed as Pyrosphere hazard? :drohmy:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I am disappointed in a good number of people in this thread. Your resolve is sickeningly weak, you you will regret each day you shed your hope before it is taken from you.

Ridley may have lost ground, but it's not over for him or for us. People call 'deconfirmed' based largely off assumptions. But he still has something; the fact that so little was given to us, that we have nothing to do BUT assume. Sure he mentioned that bosses can appear on other stages as well. But we have no reason to believe at the current point, ESPECIALLY with how suspiciously vague the showing was, that Ridley is a boss on Pyrosphere like Yellow Devil is. It could easily be spun around as one of the MANY jokes on Sakurai's part through the direct to say "Ridley was a boss, and can appear on the Pyrosphere in this game." It is a possibility that I won't let go of.

To say, "Sakurai just wanted to let the fans down easy". Why would he so willingly disappoint EVERYONE ELSE except for Ridley supporters? What reason could he possibly have to make such a vague statement without actually showing us much of anything? Why would Sakurai build hype or intrigue for one of the top most requested playable characters to become a stage hazard? He would either do it to change expectations so it is a surprise when he is playable, or he would simply mention it outright. Anything else is extremely strange and almost cruel to the fanbase.

We have a few months yet together. We who hold onto our hope and resolve need only a few more months. The 3DS version will be released before we know it, and then we will know for sure whether Sakurai was building excitement or if he was simply making an extremely strange and questionable choice.
Atleast wait till E3 guys if anything.

But yh really nice post 10/10.

Top Bottom