• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Return of Wavedashing? Perfect Pivoting Might Be Just That

Is this a big deal?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 684 45.8%
  • Not sure yet.

Votes: 538 36.0%
  • No.

Votes: 165 11.0%
  • Who turns items off?

Votes: 107 7.2%

• Total voters

TL?

Smash Ace
It's a bit disappointing to see something so misleading posted on the front page. It shows a real lack of understand of what wavedashing is or what this is. If anything this is a more restricted and more difficult dash dance that's only good with some characters.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
"Return to your original position" by Wii Fit Trainer was ON point in that video lol

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
This tutorial is hot stuff, will be a great teaching tool for those confused on Perfect-Pivots. Great work!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Yay for more bullcrap "techs"!

Lemme edit this before some angry mod give me a warning

I wish those techs were easier to perform or weren't even a thing. The way they are, they only serve to push people away from getting good in the game. It is sad.

Last edited:

Slaudial

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0233-0174-7067
Yeah who cares Sakurai is just going to get rid of anything approaching an "AT" in this game

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I'm not the competitive type actually. I play games like these for fun, even For Glory.
Basically in Melee and PM, if you airdodge toward the ground, you'll slide on the ground in the direction you airdodged. Someone more knowledgeable than I could give more detail, but it allows for great mobility with characters and opens up a plethora of options for different situations.

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
this tech won't be as effective as Melee's Wavedashing, but you know what? It could still be very useful. This will buff most, if not, after some more testing, all of the characters spacing options.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
People are saying this is hard...but I wonder why...I've been able to do these things quite easily in the middle of battle. Wavedashing EFFECTIVELY is by far harder than doing this EFFECTIVELY. Sure, Wavedashing is longer-

But this is something Sakurai added to the game as another option for us players. SAKURAI added an advanced technique to the game.

I honestly DOUBT Sakurai would patch this out, as I also HIGHLY doubt he DIDN'T know about the potential of perfect pivoting.

I'm loving this video, because I knew it was useful, but damn, if it could be used like that, in a few years this game will be actually really competitive.

Last edited:

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
Altough much less strong and useful, perfect pivot looks like a more balanced wavedash, wich I smile upon.
This. I'm no expert and I've just been into competitive stuff for a couple of months but whatever. I think Perfect Pivot might not be as good as wavedashing is but it'll definitely have its uses and once players have perfect it maybe we'll see more cool stuff :)

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
People are saying this is hard...but I wonder why...I've been able to do these things quite easily in the middle of battle. Wavedashing EFFECTIVELY is by far harder than doing this EFFECTIVELY. Sure, Wavedashing is longer-

But this is something Sakurai added to the game as another option for us players. SAKURAI added an advanced technique to the game.

I honestly DOUBT Sakurai would patch this out, as I also HIGHLY doubt he DIDN'T know about the potential of perfect pivoting.

I'm loving this video, because I knew it was useful, but damn, if it could be used like that, in a few years this game will be actually really competitive.
I do agree with this, but who knows. If Sakurai does take it out in a future patch, than he obviously didn't mean to add it in. However, just like you, I highly doubt it. Why? Because they purposely added in Pivot grabs and tilts. Heck, even in the 50 fact video, they showed pivot tilt with little Mac, so they did wanted it in the game.

Grass

Smash Lord
I think we'd have to wait and see to see if this is a big game changer, if so, I might pick it up.

Agro_98

Smash Cadet
NNID
leafsfan98
i am really excited to see where this goes and how its uses will develop in the coming weeks

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I do agree with this, but who knows. If Sakurai does take it out in a future patch, than he obviously didn't mean to add it in. However, just like you, I highly doubt it. Why? Because they purposely added in Pivot grabs and tilts. Heck, even in the 50 fact video, they showed pivot tilt with little Mac, so they did wanted it in the game.
Sakurai knew about wavedashing, so I'm pretty sure he knows about this. I mean, he DEVELOPED THE GAME. If it was a new mechanic being implemented, I'm sure it was tested thoroughly.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Wasn't this present in the previous games? Besides, this doesn't seem to be the same as a regular pivot. I also doubt that this technique was intended to be used regularly.

LeadRod

Smash Apprentice
NNID
420B-LAZE-IT!!
I'd like to be optimistic and say that this will be game changing but honestly it's kinda hard to tell. I feel like the shortness when compared to wavedashing is similar to comparing individual character 's wavedashes. For those characters that have a long perfect pivots it will be useful. For those with shorter perfect it will be less so. I think the main difference is the fact that since it's so short only the really long perfect pivoters will find it useful.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Oh boy, something that makes slow characters even EASIER to hit! As if the dumbdicolous aerials weren't enough.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'd like to be optimistic and say that this will be game changing but honestly it's kinda hard to tell. I feel like the shortness when compared to wavedashing is similar to comparing individual character 's wavedashes. For those characters that have a long perfect pivots it will be useful. For those with shorter perfect it will be less so. I think the main difference is the fact that since it's so short only the really long perfect pivoters will find it useful.
If you are spacing right, I'd say even a 2-3 'block' PP might come in handy.

Sure, Captain Falcon, Little Mac, Sheik, etc can get more out of it, but I feel the only one truly left out of the party will be Jiggs =P

But she doesn't really stay on the ground much sooo~

Last edited:

;Juice-And-Eggs;

Smash Rookie
Even though I prefer Melee and PM when it comes to playing competitively, I am very interested how the Smash 4 meta game will evolve with discoveries like these. Hopefully, Sakurai wouldn't patch these out.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
It actually looks like it can definitely turn into a Melee fiasco, as much as I hate Melee community some times, this may bring them to Smash 4 and move them on from an outdated game.
Why would anyone do that lol. Like trading your moderately pretty wife for the crusty old lady you found on a street corner i.e. my mother. Disgusting. You're ignorant for blatantly trying to cause problems, by the way. As obnoxious and bigoted as Melee players can be (loud minority), that doesn't give you the right to try and take a personal interest in swaying someone's preference for Smash games. There's legitimate reason to dislike Smash 4 whether you want to blind yourself to it or not. Let people who like Melee play Melee. None of us like it when they criticize players of other Smash games, so stop being idiots about it and doing it to them. Melee's a good game. Smash 4 is arguably not. Keep your petty preferences and stupid opinions and get over it. And if you think Wavedashing is the only reason Melee players play Melee, then you're sadly misinformed.

Last edited:

Y2Jeffro

Smash Rookie
NNID
jeffrofro
3DS FC
1134-7932-7212
Does this tech exclusively work for the GameCube controller or any controller with a analog stick? I know this question might sound silly, but I don't have the game yet (so I can't test it out) and won't be able to use the GC controller since the adapter is sold out once I get the game.

Pyr

Smash Lord
Does this tech exclusively work for the GameCube controller or any controller with a analog stick? I know this question might sound silly, but I don't have the game yet (so I can't test it out) and won't be able to use the GC controller since the adapter is sold out once I get the game.
It looks 1-base input based. (Directional input for movement) I'd imagine it could be done on anything because of that.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Oh God no. The day I feared has finally arrived. Please let this be something minor. We don't want another...*gulp* Melee. Come on though, Sakurai, first Vectoring now this? It's like he puts this **** here on purpose just to rip it away from people. Granted, their tears go great with this pizza, but still though. Remember the Dark Ages, people. Don't let it happen again.

Annex

Smash Ace
You carry momentum after a pivot in 64. It's how we do pivot fastfalls off the stage to grab the ledge quickly (since you have to be facing the ledge to grab it in that game). Actually, in that game you could adjust the lengths of your pivot distance. In this it seems fixed? Idk, the point is that this isn't new at all

Sorry to kill the hype

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226

Hat's off to the people who uses these tech's, I don't like the the fact that these techs wear down your thumbstick much faster than actually playing the game without exploiting it. The Thumbstick is the most crucial part of the controller and for movement in a game like this, I watch my friends go through plenty of GC sticks because of all of these crazy inputs that weren't really intended. This stuff does help the meta but for me its not worth me tearing down my controller.

Top Bottom