• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Return of Rochester! October 24th. And the New NYS PR!!!!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
The Return of Rochester!!
"SBR Certified and Enhanced"

A K.I.D.Goggles Production.

Its been a while since Rochester, a previous underground mecha of smash, had its own tourney. but now the stars have aligned again, and I feel that its now the time to return this area back to its prior glory. Thanks to some amazing help I have built up the confidence to attempt to run this event.

Where?

JesiahTEG's Apartment.
3252 Winton Road South. building M, apartment 14.
Henrietta, New York. 14623

I know what youre thinking, "Why should I come to this tournament?" and to answer that question I ask that you read a few words from your loving host. And if you still are having doubts after that, dont bother.
No one just randomly has a Saturday free with no plans. We all have stuff to do.

It's how much we love this game that determines whether or not you show up. I love it enough to offer every inch of my apartment this Saturday to housing people, and trusting the community enough in my place for a day or two. I cancelled my plans because I know this is going to be amazing. If you don't want to cancel yours for whatever reason, then don't. You're missing out though.

These tournies/smashfests are amazing. In addition to a tourney with good competition for everyone, we're going to be playing ALL NIGHT LONG, with 4-5 different setups in 2-3 different rooms. There will be melee teams, brawl teams, melee singles, brawl singles, everything you could ever imagine. We'll probably do random tournament, or random teammate tournament too. Money Matches and friendlies as much as you want. The good players will give advice to people who just started.

There is food all around my house, open 24/7. We'll probably be going out to eat at 3AM knowing the Rochester Smash Community. Or we'll order pizza. Funny things happen all the time, people get pissed, people trashtalk each other, or just crazy stuff in the game.

We have recording equipment so every match will be going up on youtube if the players don't mind. We'll record even crazy ridiculous matches that make no sense, just for the fun of it.

Whoever is at this will get WAYYYY better. Your game will improve tenfold, and you'll have the most fun that you'll ever have had at any Tourney/Smashfest. You'll improve, get smarter, make new friends, learn new things about the game, and best of all, become part of the Western New York community. The more we all chill and bond together and play Smash, the better we'll all do when we go out of state to national tournaments.

I'd LOVE to see Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, LeRoy and all of those other areas to become a force to be reckoned with in the Smash community. I look forward to the day where more than one area of New York actually matters in the Smash community.

And guess what guys? NYC, and MD/VA, and Socal and all of these other strong regions didn't just start out naturally strong. They played every weekend, making sure to attend smashfests and tournies to improve.

The only advantage they've ever had over us, the ONLY advantage, is that they live closer together.

So what, we have to drive an hour or two to attend a tourney? I have to go to a concert on that day? If that's really going to stop you from coming, then fine. It's going to be an amazing time anyways.

I see people posting about how they wouldn't show up on Halloween for whatever reason. You know what they do in MD/VA? They have SPECIAL HALLOWEEN TOURNAMENTS AND SMASHFESTS! They LOOK FORWARD to Holidays because they know there's going to be some kind of awesome special tournies and smashfests that they can go to and see all of their friends, play smash, go out to eat, play random games, etc.

How can you not be inspired by that? How can you not be inspired by people who met through Smash, and have continued holding tournaments and smashfests for over 5 years, regardless of whether or not they're busy, regardless of whether or not it's convenient for them. They love the game and they love each other.

That's the kind of community I want this to turn into, one where we're all ****ing awesome friends, who will do anything to make it to a tournament to play, relax and see everyone. I want us all to make new friends, and reach a whole new level in our smash game.

I would love to see players from all over WNY and CNY start to bond, and get stronger as a region together. I'd love to see new players at this point, start to improve and in a few months, go to a national tournament and out of nowhere just **** everybody and become well known.

It's possible, it's very very possible. The only way we'll get there though is if people stop making excuses, and FIND A WAY to the tourney. I know it's not as easy as other regions have it, but it's still extremely doable. It may not be convenient, but it's definitely possible.

So, if you want to come, be prepared for the most amazing Smash weekend of your life. If not, that's fine too. Stop trying to change the date though. It's not going to change.

I love you all, and may the force be with you.

Who?
Being run by myself.
K.I.D.Goggles.
Facebook:Search KIDGoggles or Kyle Flournoy
cell: 585-269-8444
aim: KIDGoggles
email:(i dont check it often) kid689@earthlink.net

With help from hopeful Co-TOs:
Cura:
Matt
aim: oddstolive

and Goodies:
Kelvin.

... lol I just realised that I pretty much dont have any real contact info for these people that I feel right giving, out, so pretty much any issues you have, you are best off, getting in contact with me.

When:

Saturday, October 24th

Time frame is going to be very open for change but as a first draft this is what Im looking at.
Noon: Arrival + Friendlies
2pm. I will Arrive. and thus Ill be doing registration.
3pm. Tourney Starts.
Attention. I do not know what events I will be doing in what order yet. I will run the tourneys based on registration, with the least registered tourney running first and the most registered tourney playin last. So I cant tell you when to be there for your event. So you BETTER BE THERE at 3 PM. (neil)
after 2 events there will be a 30-60 minute break for refreshments. Theres Is a Tim Hortons and a gas Station within walking distance, and 3-4 fast food joints with in driving distance.

Who?

I dont feel like doing a list of every person thats scheduled to show up, because all that does it upset me when people dont show. All I'll say is that I expect 20 players entering in each event at a bare minimum. And I fully expect Rochester to win every event.

What?

Entry Will be 5 dollars per event, making a total of 20 dollars for all events together. There will be no venue fee, because Jesse is pretty much guaranteed to make some money at this, so we dont need to pay extra to use his place.

We NEED More SETUPS!
So far we have:
3 tvs, and One Wii With Melee and Brawl from Jesse
1 TV, 1 Wii with Brawl, and 1 GCN with melee from myself.
1 Recordign Setup from Cura.
1 one tv, cube and melee (?) from RIT Matt
1 TV cube and melee from The General

IF WE DONT HAVE ENOUGH SETUPS, WE WONT GET THROUGH EVERYTHING!! AND WE DONT LIKE NOT GETTING THROUGH OUR EVENTS :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Brawl rules.

General rules:

3 Stock

8 minute timer

Items are set to "off" and "none"

All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches

All Sets are treated as new sets, and Continuation sets will NOT be in effect.

In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

All suicide moves, with both players on their last stock will count as a win for the person that initiated the move.

You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

Stalling is banned. I will determine on the spot what stalling is and will warn and DQ players at my own discretion. You dont know what my judgement is like, so its in your best interest to not test me.

THE KID RULE!

COACHING is BANNED.

In general WNY tradition. Trash-talking is ENCOURAGED, but intentionally telling a player of anothers tendancies or habits mid game is coaching and will be dealt with sternly. DO NOT DO IT.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage Lists

Players may choose between themselves a neutral for the first match, but otherwise, random neutrals will be selected for the first stage.

Starter:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counter:

Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Distant Planet
Green Greens
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Hanenbow (Doubles only)

Banned
Everything else

GET AT MY 17.5 STAGES ATLANTIC NORTH!!!

Additional Rules for Doubles Play
Life Stealing is allowed
Set team attack to ON

Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.

Cruddy Game Rules! lol j/k. Melee Rules

General Rules

Items are set to off

The stock is set to 4 *

The time limit is set to a minimum of 90 seconds per stock **

All sets are best of 3 matches

In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

No player may choose the stage they last won on

Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played

Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match

The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned

Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned

Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)
*In the event of time constraints 3 stocks may be used

All Sets are treated as new sets, and Continuation sets will NOT be in effect.

No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

All suicide moves, with both players on their last stock will count as a win for the person that initiated the move.

You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

THE KID RULE!

COACHING is BANNED.

In general WNY tradition. Trash-talking is ENCOURAGED, but intentionally telling a player of anothers tendancies or habits mid game is coaching and will be dealt with sternly. DO NOT DO IT.

Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List **
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for this match
**Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage

Random Stage List
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams**
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle*
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Dream Land: Green Greens
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City**
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle
Planet Zebes: Brinstar

Banned Stage List
The rest of em.

Additional Rules for Double's Play
Life Stealing is allowed
Set team attack to ON
Add F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City to the Banned Stage List
Add Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams to the Banned Stage List

Payouts will follow the basic 60/30/10 payout for the first 3 places

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ALSO!

the Results of this tourney, Syracuse Smash 1 and ATOB 3 will be used in the determination of a Brawl New York State Power Rankings.

I am pretty much tired of NYC doing their own tourneys, and PRs and acting like the rest of the state doesnt exist.

There will be a NYS PR up about a week after this tournament.

the panel for this PR will be Myself, JesiahTEG, Goodies, and Cura. If there is enough support for the idea I will gather a panel to do one for melee as well

Kantō

Smash Champion
count me in yo, ill be there!

i can bring a wii, a Gamecube, and possibly a TV too if there is room in the car.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Ill Bring

-Wii
-Brawl
-Melee
-Some Chaingrabs
-5$ in Money matches
- Recording Set up.

Note: My wii has infinate replay with tags. So people save your matches!! So we can start Getting some NYS Vidz for our tourneys.

Syracuse Attendence List

-Cura
-Bry
-Stomps
-Pdiddy
-Eevee

Are comfirmed for this event.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
o and i MIGHT be able to make this only if melee 2nd place is $50 or more rofl

and if jesse teams with me

altairian

Smash Lord
****ing hell...someone convince my boss to give me this day off.

and cura let me know where to get the replay w/ tags code?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
YOU BETTER soma.

im not takin any more of your life johns this time

<3

bring your girl too

EDIT @ altairian. Could you help one of my boys hack his wii?

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
:l

Wish I could go. But as young as I am... traveling to Rochester is a mere impossibility. I'm not old enough to drive yet. xD

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
there actually is a competant link player at the local college, but i dont know if i can get him to be serious enough to come to this.

also, my link >>> your link.

shun: there should be a bunch of people from UB coming to this, hit them up and see if you can get a ride.

bcb: hit up alterian or cura to possibly get a ride.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
ALSO!

the Results of this tourney, Syracuse Smash 1 and ATOB 3 will be used in the determination of a Brawl New York State Power Rankings.

I am pretty much tired of NYC doing their own tourneys, and PRs and acting like the rest of the state doesnt exist.

There will be a NYS PR up about a week after this tournament.

the panel for this PR will be Myself, JesiahTEG, Goodies, and Cura. If there is enough support for the idea I will gather a panel to do one for melee as well
I feel like the people who do the regular NY Prs will just scoff at you, but Im interested.

Ill Bring

-Some Chaingrabs
Please do.

and cura let me know where to get the replay w/ tags code?
Google that shiz.

Sorry I can't make this guys, its the same day as Alex Strife's big tourney, and I already bought bus tickets for that. But I definitely do wanna keep going to these WNY tourneys, theyre the ****. Definitely get vids though.

altairian

Smash Lord
bcb: hit up alterian or cura to possibly get a ride.
You spelled my name correctly once, where does that e keep coming from? :p

And I won't be attending this unless a miracle occurs, so no rides from me this time =\

CJT why google when I can just bug cura for a link? ;)

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
I'll go, provided if I can get a ride there. And if you need someone to record, just send me the replays with the code lists applied via e-mail and I'll have them onto youtube (ironic how campus download speeds are horrid yet upload speeds are are astronomical).

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
IF PR does happen to go up im sure we'll be hearing from Inui shortly after.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I'll go, provided if I can get a ride there. And if you need someone to record, just send me the replays with the code lists applied via e-mail and I'll have them onto youtube (ironic how campus download speeds are horrid yet upload speeds are are astronomical).

You have to be there so i can show you how inferior your ike is to san =P

Considering the fact that Goggles, Neil and I are better than a lot of them, they shouldn't.
Editted for truth, seeing as I am currently the best metaknight in the State, Including NYC.
IF PR does happen to go up im sure we'll be hearing from Inui shortly after.

why would you intentionally namedrop him?
too far for me

not that anyone cares

bullcrap. you have to be there so I can show you how inferior you wolf is to ryoto.

speaking of ryoto, somebody get in touch with him and asylum and get them to come to this.
I mite come?
power rankings is me 1st

maybe if we were going from the bottom up...

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
Power Rankings do interest me. But while I'm here in Buffalo for college, would I still be considered as a NYC brawler or a Buffalo Brawler?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lol the only people that should be coming to this are people that arent going to veridian anyway.

i.e. the people that live near rochester, which is like 7+ hours away

@cross, eevee and cura are hear for school and they are considered WNY smash

Ownasaurus

Smash Journeyman
Hope it goes well.

KID I want to see your MK just once! I'll play against you with my sonic just for sheer irony >_>

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
Kid, your saying you expect at least 20 people in each event? Not everyone plays brawl and melee.
TEG how big is your F***ing apartment?
Peachy, My link is only pro at suicides lol. I gotta work out the nerves before tournament time for this one. thanks though, I'll take all the complements I can get.

Kantō

Smash Champion
wow i almost had to work that day. luckily i got the day off with lots of begging. i hate my job.

Top Bottom