• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Retro Warrior of the skies: Balloon Fighter for Smash! (Villager's UP B is back, better luck Next Time buddy)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I'm starting to wonder if Balloon Fighter will ever be added to Smash. I mean, he gets all these references made to his game, yet he himself always misses the mark on playability. Kind of sad, really.
Speaking of which, I made a Classic Mode based around fighters who missed the mark in the previous games:

Balloon Fighter: "Hey! Don't Forget Me!" (the theme is characters who were unused in previous games but became playable in future games)
Stage 1: :ultbowser::ultkingdedede:on Dream Land 64 (Gourmet Race (64))
Stage 2: :ultmarth::ultmewtwo: on Saffron City (Story 5 Meeting)
Stage 3: :ultlucas::ultwario:on Fourside (Bein' Friends (Melee))
Stage 4: :ultsnake::ultsonic::ultbanjokazooie: on Yoshi's Story (Angel Island Zone (Brawl))
Stage 5: :ultvillager::ultpacman: on :smashville: (Tour (SSB4))
Stage 6: :ultridley::ultbrawler::ultswordfighter::ultgunner: on :norfair: (Vs. Ridley)
Boss: Master/Crazy Hand

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So have y'all heard? Fatmanonice has heard from his sources about a rumored Iwata tribute character possibly coming at the end of the DLC cycle. I think Balloon Fighter is a top contender here if true. 3... 2... 1... Here comes the clique to attack me and Fatman. :glare:

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So have y'all heard? Fatmanonice has heard from his sources about a rumored Iwata tribute character possibly coming at the end of the DLC cycle. I think Balloon Fighter is a top contender here if true. 3... 2... 1... Here comes the clique to attack me and Fatman. :glare:
Yeah, I don’t understand why people are throwing such a hissy fit over this rumor.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Interesting... Keeping my expectations low though.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Balloon Fighter. He'd be a neat character and probably have an insane recovery, while being lightweight and having somewhat poor stats if his balloons are popped would keep him in check.

It's also weird that he already has a stage, the fish in Summit, and a few songs, but isn't a fighter.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I was the original poster of this thread. Been a while since i have been here, and it's a shame BF's chance are lower than ever, but i guess ARMS proves that you can be already represented in some form and still be playable afterwards (because im 99% that one of the ARMS spirits in the base game will make the upgrade, if not Spring Man himself)

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I forgot to show these awesome concepts that I found on the internet, of Kirby after possessing Balloon Fighter:

54F99B04-F305-477A-BEE9-A21F6161D575.jpeg
2FE903C1-DB02-4A8C-82F5-35C69401EC42.jpeg

Here’s to hoping BF still has a chance for DLC!

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I know that this is sacrilegious because they're so beloved nowadays, but I genuinely think BF would have been a better retro pick than the Ice Climbers back in Melee.

BF is a much better game than IC, and it feels like its left much a larger footprint in Nintendo's history.
You're not alone. Balloon Fighter has aged slightly better than Ice Climber like you have said and the game has a much stronger presence in Nintendo history as whole. If Ice Climbers weren't in Melee, the series probably would be remembered as much as Tennis for the NES, while Balloon Fighter still got to make appereances in games like WarioWare Smooth Moves and Nintendo Land in spite of Balloon Fighter not beign playable.

Plus, his gimmick of Balloons (which is showcased in the OP) would have been likely easier to implement than Icies 2 in 1 gimmick, and we probably would have Balloon Fighter in Smash 3DS.

I'm starting to wonder if Balloon Fighter will ever be added to Smash. I mean, he gets all these references made to his game, yet he himself always misses the mark on playability. Kind of sad, really.
Unfortunately, i see him in the same vein as Toad. It's one thing to be denied the entrance because Sakurai can't think of a good idea of a moveset (Heihachi comes to mind) but it's another to basically put his abilities onto other's character's moveset, which is exactly what he did with Villager's UP B just like Toad in Peach's moveset.

I know Little Mac exists, but boxing gloves are more generic and universal than say, Balloons strapped onto your back to fly, that's kind of Balloon Fighter's thing. Plus if we mentioned every double standard in Smash we would be here all day.

Soe say Villager's UP B shouldn't disqualify Balloon Fighter, but i say Villager shouldn't even have that Up B in the first place.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
This might be a bit of a stretch but with the rumored Iwata homage plus the leaked extra slot (not to mention the absence of a black box NES newcomer), I think Balloon Fighter’s chances are somewhat decent now. There’s already a Balloon Fight stage along with a couple of tracks, so my guess is he’d probably be added in the same way Piranha Plant was (no extra content, just the fighter).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wishing you guys luck for the next game. I know how it feels to have your wanted character shot down literally day 1. It happened to me...

this is part of my retrospective for the deconfirmed characters before Smash ends, I guess

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well, there’s a very strong possibility the final two will be revealed tomorrow

I have, however, been entertaining the idea of a post-DLC ballot. Would you think BF would have a chance if we get another Ballot?

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Well, there’s a very strong possibility the final two will be revealed tomorrow

I have, however, been entertaining the idea of a post-DLC ballot. Would you think BF would have a chance if we get another Ballot?
No.

Balloon Fighter simply isn't a character that has a strong fan following to do that. He's not Banjo, nor Waluigi, hell, not even Isaac levels of requested. for him to get into Smash, there must be some sort of external reason that convinces Sakurai, and im not holding my breath on it.

Top Bottom