• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Retro Warrior of the skies: Balloon Fighter for Smash! (Villager's UP B is back, better luck Next Time buddy)

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
I fully support this thread, and no matter whether people think Balloon Fighter is worth it or not, people should at least give the chance to the lesser known characters. And the fact that he has a 3DS stage solidifies his chances of making it in the next Smash Bros.
His only problem will be the fact that Villager has his Up-B which are basically, stolen from Balloon Fighter.

So if they could either suppliment by making a new Up-B for Villager or include Balloon Fighter's balloons to be different, I can see it being a possibility for him.

Not to mention the fact that Iwata created Balloon Fight, and considering how Balloon Fight is apart of the classic Nintendo games. It would be nice to see him implemented in Super Smash Bros, even as a tribute of Iwata as well.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Considering that Mr Game and Watch got in as a tribute to Gunpei Yokoi, I have no doubt Sakurai will put him in as an tribute to him. Either way, I support this,

D

Deleted member

To anyone here who wants to show their support for Balloon Fighter, Golden Icarus has made an icon so you can put it on your signature.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey Balloon Fighter fans.

I made a Smash server for for speculation of all retro fighters, even Balloon Fighter. Yes, you can talk about your high flying hero there or just discuss the memories you had of his game.

All are welcome.

https://discord.gg/tY4HaBB

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Balloon Fighter is probably my 2nd most wanted retro character added behind Excite Biker (and not including the Ice Climbers return) so I am completely in support of the balloon master to make it.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I predicted Alice would make it into U/3DS. I was obviously wrong. But, maybe in part as an homage to the late Mr. Iwata, I think the original Balloon Fighter will make it in. I'd like to see him.

Jakor

Smash Ace
Balloon Fighter is my most wanted retro character and I'd love to see him get a modern redesign. I think his chances are better than ever, as he would also be a nice tribute to Iwata and we all know he was a close friend of Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

Does anybody else feel that Balloon Fighter's Balloons are too small, i feel they must be made BIGGER.

sman3579

Smash Cadet
I think what could make him a unique character is the balloon mechanic. Like 2 balloons making him more floaty and leightweight which would be best for air combos but also makes him easiest to kill, 1 balloon so he isn’t as easily killable but might make air combos a bit harder and less recovery/jumps, and then 0 balloon so he isn’t extremely leightwieght and floaty which will help survivability to a certain extent but then the standard two jumps making air combos much less likely. I can see him being a very fun character to use and play, although probably with a bit of a learning curve.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think what could make him a unique character is the balloon mechanic. Like 2 balloons making him more floaty and leightweight which would be best for air combos but also makes him easiest to kill, 1 balloon so he isn’t as easily killable but might make air combos a bit harder and less recovery/jumps, and then 0 balloon so he isn’t extremely leightwieght and floaty which will help survivability to a certain extent but then the standard two jumps making air combos much less likely. I can see him being a very fun character to use and play, although probably with a bit of a learning curve.
Yup, especially when you would have to pump those balloons back up all while someone is trying to kill you.

So it's all about knowing how to get away from someone if you want those balloons back.

Celever

Smash Rookie
Put me as a supporter of Balloon Fighter: I've been a big supporter of him for a while, and may make a moveset idea for him tomorrow anyway. I think his main moveset potential would be setting the stage up with the various traps he faces within his arcade game, whilst maintaining a naturally strong aerial game. I feel like this would maintain the feel of his source material, something which Sakurai has stated in interviews is important to him when creating characters, and is a take on Balloon Fighter which people generally don't consider too often.

D

Deleted member

Actually, come to think of it, i could also sketch up a Balloon Fighter moveset. I did back in the Smash 4 era so i could do it again.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I’ll echo the sentiments that I want him in the game to be a tribute to the late great Satoru Iwata.

Imagine if he had a “direct” taunt

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Actually, come to think of it, i could also sketch up a Balloon Fighter moveset. I did back in the Smash 4 era so i could do it again.
Oh nice, I would like to see how it turns out.

Celever

Smash Rookie
I made the moveset now instead of tomorrow. I think this would be a really interesting hazard-setting character, the likes of which hasn't been seen in Smash Bros before, and represents traditional arcade gameplay very nicely. It also really draws out all inspiration from Balloon Fight to the extent that there's almost no part of the game still unrepresented, but the moveset still feels cohesive and playable.
Balloon Fighter Gimmick
The obvious gimmick for him to have is the balloon-popping. However, while most movesets I've seen for him include a Down-B where he refills balloons, I don't think this would be particularly practical, as he would have to refill the balloons too often, and be gimped too significantly without them. This is problematic when considering how long it takes for balloons to be inflated in the original source material: a solid 10 seconds or so. As such, I would have the gimmick be that Balloon Fighter starts with 2 balloons and at around 100% (or thereabouts), one of the balloons pops. The character then moves slower and, more importantly, has an increased stopping time on his movement, mirroring the effect that balloons being popped has in-game. Balloon Fighter can therefore keep his multiple jumps just fine, but due to his difficult-to-control movement, can be potentially punished quite easily.

Lesser Gimmick
When jumping off of another character in the air, does 20% damage to that character.

Properties
Weight:
Roughly Mario, as he has a similar body-type to him.
Speed (Land & Air): Mirrors in-game physics of Balloon Fight: Controls slowly at first but can speed up to quite incredible heights before slowing down again upon a change in directional input
Traction: Poor, made poorer upon the loss of a second balloon

A: Generic Punch
AA: Generic Punch 2: Electric Boogaloo
AAA: Headbutt

F-Tilt: Swipes hands vertically behind him in the opposite direction to the tilt -- the movement he makes when flapping in Balloon Fight
U-Tilt: Balloons inflate (and then deflate). Hits send opponents either left or right depending on which balloon hits them last
D-Tilt: Pumps both of his arms downwards in front of him -- the action enemies make in-game when pumping up their balloons

F-Smash: Thrusts an enemy bird from the game forwards, and then throws it a little. The enemy is knocked out when hitting the ground, flying vertically downwards as a projectile. If it doesn't hit the ground, it floats down within its parachute until it does, meandering from left to right, acting as a hitbox the whole way.
U-Smash: Lifts a pipe from the bonus rounds above his head. Sends opponents extremely vertically, like the route the balloons take when leaving the pipes in-game.
D-Smash: Spawns two of the bubbles from the game on either side of Balloon Fighter, which then rise into the air slowly. Contact with the bubbles does a lot of damage but has no hit stun or knockback.

Neutral Special: Releases a spark from in-game in the direction inputted. This spark moves around the stage, changing direction when it hits a wall, until it flies off-stage, hits a character, or a new spark is released above the limit. Limit of 2 sparks at a time. Contact with the spark provides massive hit-stun and decent damage.
Side Special: Sends three gusts of wind in a fan shape in the direction of the special. These gusts do very small damage, but have small hitboxes with a significant amount of knockback and no hitstun -- traditionally how wind is used in Smash Bros. The graphics for the wind can reference the wind graphic used when swiping in Nintendo Land's Balloon Trip mode
Up Special: Creates a flipper and uses it on himself. This sends Balloon Fighter upwards predominantly, but in a fairly random direction besides that. Flipper remains after use, up to three, disappearing once another flipper above the limit has been placed, or if another flipper is placed too close to an existent one. However, they deal no damage or hitstun, making them mere directional inconveniences, or nasty ways to trap opponents into particular movements.
Down Special: Spawns a body of water around Balloon Fighter, roughly the size of 3 Balloon Fighter models placed side-by-side. This removes the stage from the contained area, treating it like normal air. Using Down Special again spawns Floppy Fish for a second or so (the fish from Balloon Fight which eats anything that gets too close to the water), which pokes its head out of the water and eats enemies traveling overhead or within the water area of the stage. The fish bites the fighters, launching them, rather than auto-killing them.

Neutral Aerial: Spawns an electrified cloud around him briefly, from Balloon Fight, dealing a lot of knockback with a very large hitbox.
Side Aerial: Sends Balloon Fighter upwards like flapping in-game, and using it after having been launched slows down the extent to which he's been launched more significantly than regular directional input. Does no damage, however. This is a way of including Balloon Fighter's deserved theoretical infinite recovery, but forces it into a more predictable path to refrain from it from being busted, though it has Balloon Fight's physics of building momentum with each flap.
Up Aerial: Deploys a parachute above himself of the same design that enemies use in the source material. Rope hitstuns and once the parachute deploys it launches.
Down Aerial: Releases a crate beneath Balloon Fighter on a rope with a permanent hitbox, from the Nintendo Land Balloon Trip mode. This remains there until it's struck by a strong attack, or touches the ground / a wall. Significant start and ending lag.

Taunt 1: Balloon Fighter creates a bonus balloon of a random colour from Balloon Fight and pops it, with the popping animation and sound effect.
Taunt 2: Balloon Fighter inflates a balloon, using the animation enemies used, and releases it: a 1% damage projectile with no hitstun and a small hitbox
Taunt 3: An enemy from Balloon Fight appears in its grounded state, Balloon Fighter walks into it, death animation plays

Final Smash: Bonus Time
A large bubbles rises from the bottom of the screen which Balloon Fighter automatically grabs, freezing time (as is what happens in Balloon Trip). Two balloons spawn upon each opponent's head. Time remains frozen for about 10 seconds, and Balloon Fighter must pop the balloons on the opponents by running into them at a direction generally upwards of the balloons. Fighters who have both of their balloons popped at the end of the final smash are launched, and each pop of the balloon does about 30% anyway. A second AI controlled Balloon Fighter can also come onto screen and help pop balloons, maybe targeting the character on the lowest percentage at the time of the final smash, or just the one closest to the right hand side of the screen, representing Balloon Fight's innovative 1987 multi-player.
What do you guys think?

D

Deleted member

I made the moveset now instead of tomorrow. I think this would be a really interesting hazard-setting character, the likes of which hasn't been seen in Smash Bros before, and represents traditional arcade gameplay very nicely. It also really draws out all inspiration from Balloon Fight to the extent that there's almost no part of the game still unrepresented, but the moveset still feels cohesive and playable.
Balloon Fighter Gimmick
The obvious gimmick for him to have is the balloon-popping. However, while most movesets I've seen for him include a Down-B where he refills balloons, I don't think this would be particularly practical, as he would have to refill the balloons too often, and be gimped too significantly without them. This is problematic when considering how long it takes for balloons to be inflated in the original source material: a solid 10 seconds or so. As such, I would have the gimmick be that Balloon Fighter starts with 2 balloons and at around 100% (or thereabouts), one of the balloons pops. The character then moves slower and, more importantly, has an increased stopping time on his movement, mirroring the effect that balloons being popped has in-game. Balloon Fighter can therefore keep his multiple jumps just fine, but due to his difficult-to-control movement, can be potentially punished quite easily.

Lesser Gimmick
When jumping off of another character in the air, does 20% damage to that character.

Properties
Weight:
Roughly Mario, as he has a similar body-type to him.
Speed (Land & Air): Mirrors in-game physics of Balloon Fight: Controls slowly at first but can speed up to quite incredible heights before slowing down again upon a change in directional input
Traction: Poor, made poorer upon the loss of a second balloon

A: Generic Punch
AA: Generic Punch 2: Electric Boogaloo
AAA: Headbutt

F-Tilt: Swipes hands vertically behind him in the opposite direction to the tilt -- the movement he makes when flapping in Balloon Fight
U-Tilt: Balloons inflate (and then deflate). Hits send opponents either left or right depending on which balloon hits them last
D-Tilt: Pumps both of his arms downwards in front of him -- the action enemies make in-game when pumping up their balloons

F-Smash: Thrusts an enemy bird from the game forwards, and then throws it a little. The enemy is knocked out when hitting the ground, flying vertically downwards as a projectile. If it doesn't hit the ground, it floats down within its parachute until it does, meandering from left to right, acting as a hitbox the whole way.
U-Smash: Lifts a pipe from the bonus rounds above his head. Sends opponents extremely vertically, like the route the balloons take when leaving the pipes in-game.
D-Smash: Spawns two of the bubbles from the game on either side of Balloon Fighter, which then rise into the air slowly. Contact with the bubbles does a lot of damage but has no hit stun or knockback.

Neutral Special: Releases a spark from in-game in the direction inputted. This spark moves around the stage, changing direction when it hits a wall, until it flies off-stage, hits a character, or a new spark is released above the limit. Limit of 2 sparks at a time. Contact with the spark provides massive hit-stun and decent damage.
Side Special: Sends three gusts of wind in a fan shape in the direction of the special. These gusts do very small damage, but have small hitboxes with a significant amount of knockback and no hitstun -- traditionally how wind is used in Smash Bros. The graphics for the wind can reference the wind graphic used when swiping in Nintendo Land's Balloon Trip mode
Up Special: Creates a flipper and uses it on himself. This sends Balloon Fighter upwards predominantly, but in a fairly random direction besides that. Flipper remains after use, up to three, disappearing once another flipper above the limit has been placed, or if another flipper is placed too close to an existent one. However, they deal no damage or hitstun, making them mere directional inconveniences, or nasty ways to trap opponents into particular movements.
Down Special: Spawns a body of water around Balloon Fighter, roughly the size of 3 Balloon Fighter models placed side-by-side. This removes the stage from the contained area, treating it like normal air. Using Down Special again spawns Floppy Fish for a second or so (the fish from Balloon Fight which eats anything that gets too close to the water), which pokes its head out of the water and eats enemies traveling overhead or within the water area of the stage. The fish bites the fighters, launching them, rather than auto-killing them.

Neutral Aerial: Spawns an electrified cloud around him briefly, from Balloon Fight, dealing a lot of knockback with a very large hitbox.
Side Aerial: Sends Balloon Fighter upwards like flapping in-game, and using it after having been launched slows down the extent to which he's been launched more significantly than regular directional input. Does no damage, however. This is a way of including Balloon Fighter's deserved theoretical infinite recovery, but forces it into a more predictable path to refrain from it from being busted, though it has Balloon Fight's physics of building momentum with each flap.
Up Aerial: Deploys a parachute above himself of the same design that enemies use in the source material. Rope hitstuns and once the parachute deploys it launches.
Down Aerial: Releases a crate beneath Balloon Fighter on a rope with a permanent hitbox, from the Nintendo Land Balloon Trip mode. This remains there until it's struck by a strong attack, or touches the ground / a wall. Significant start and ending lag.

Taunt 1: Balloon Fighter creates a bonus balloon of a random colour from Balloon Fight and pops it, with the popping animation and sound effect.
Taunt 2: Balloon Fighter inflates a balloon, using the animation enemies used, and releases it: a 1% damage projectile with no hitstun and a small hitbox
Taunt 3: An enemy from Balloon Fight appears in its grounded state, Balloon Fighter walks into it, death animation plays

Final Smash: Bonus Time
A large bubbles rises from the bottom of the screen which Balloon Fighter automatically grabs, freezing time (as is what happens in Balloon Trip). Two balloons spawn upon each opponent's head. Time remains frozen for about 10 seconds, and Balloon Fighter must pop the balloons on the opponents by running into them at a direction generally upwards of the balloons. Fighters who have both of their balloons popped at the end of the final smash are launched, and each pop of the balloon does about 30% anyway. A second AI controlled Balloon Fighter can also come onto screen and help pop balloons, maybe targeting the character on the lowest percentage at the time of the final smash, or just the one closest to the right hand side of the screen, representing Balloon Fight's innovative 1987 multi-player.
What do you guys think?
I'll add this to the OP.

Calane

Smash Ace
I used to be completely against the idea of Balloon Fighter in smash (or perhaps the more fitting word would be indifferent), but I've sort of warmed up to the idea after thinking about it for a while. I would definitely choose Takamaru over him, but I could see Sakurai doing the opposite.

I know it's a weird opinion to have, but I'd almost prefer Alice to be chosen instead. I don't know, it just seems like she'd bring more personality to whatever moveset Balloon Fighter would have. Maybe it's because she actually has a name and a less bland design than the vanilla Balloon Fighter. It also helps that her game basically takes the concept of Balloon Fight and fleshes it out, so not only does she fit easier as a fighter in Smash, but the world she comes from is a bit more...detailed than that of the first game (her hometown of Pencilvania, her rival Samm, her little brother Jim, etc). Heck, I actually feel that Ballloon Kid could have been expanded even further and made into an actual series if Nintendo had continued down the path it paved.

All that said, I understand that the original game is far more iconic than its more interesting sequel, so I doubt Alice stands much of a chance. Honestly, I think that Balloon Fighter is pretty likely to be chosen as this game's retro character (if we get one), so I'm interested to see if my gut feeling is correct.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I used to be completely against the idea of Balloon Fighter in smash (or perhaps the more fitting word would be indifferent), but I've sort of warmed up to the idea after thinking about it for a while. I would definitely choose Takamaru over him, but I could see Sakurai doing the opposite.

I know it's a weird opinion to have, but I'd almost prefer Alice to be chosen instead. I don't know, it just seems like she'd bring more personality to whatever moveset Balloon Fighter would have. Maybe it's because she actually has a name and a less bland design than the vanilla Balloon Fighter. It also helps that her game basically takes the concept of Balloon Fight and fleshes it out, so not only does she fit easier as a fighter in Smash, but the world she comes from is a bit more...detailed than that of the first game (her hometown of Pencilvania, her rival Samm, her little brother Jim, etc). Heck, I actually feel that Ballloon Kid could have been expanded even further and made into an actual series if Nintendo had continued down the path it paved.

All that said, I understand that the original game is far more iconic than its more interesting sequel, so I doubt Alice stands much of a chance. Honestly, I think that Balloon Fighter is pretty likely to be chosen as this game's retro character (if we get one), so I'm interested to see if my gut feeling is correct.
You know, I made an 'Alice for Smash' thread a while back. I'm a little surprised that's barely getting any traction. I mean, I wasn't expecting much, but this is just odd.

https://smashboards.com/threads/its...dler-alice-from-balloon-kid-for-smash.454426/

I mean, I can understand Balloon Fighter being the more popular choice out of the two as he has something more of a 'legacy' than her, so to speak. But, I could have sworn there were more Alice supporters on SmashBoards.

What's more, while I'd like to see Balloon Fighter in Smash, I'd also like Alice just a bit more. BTW, I'm not trying to offend any other Balloon Fighter supporters out there by saying what I'm about to say, but part of why I support Alice just a bit more is because she's a more 'defined' character than Balloon Fighter who's a tad more...'generic'?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
You know, I made an 'Alice for Smash' thread a while back. I'm a little surprised that's barely getting any traction. I mean, I wasn't expecting much, but this is just odd.

https://smashboards.com/threads/its...dler-alice-from-balloon-kid-for-smash.454426/

I mean, I can understand Balloon Fighter being the more popular choice out of the two as he has something more of a 'legacy' than her, so to speak. But, I could have sworn there were more Alice supporters on SmashBoards.

What's more, while I'd like to see Balloon Fighter in Smash, I'd also like Alice just a bit more. BTW, I'm not trying to offend any other Balloon Fighter supporters out there by saying what I'm about to say, but part of why I support Alice just a bit more is because she's a more 'defined' character than Balloon Fighter who's a tad more...'generic'?
Or she she could be an alternate skin for Balloon Fighter.

ribbit

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Balloon Fighter would be pretty cool. I don't think it will happen since Villager has that Up+B move but I am open to the possibility. What I really want from the Balloon Fight series is a new stage based on the sequel, Balloon Kid.

Pencilvania would make a great stage.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I‘d love to see BF as an homage to Iwata. Basically, Sakurai owns the man for even making Smash possible on the N64.
The entire Villager up B argument is kinda invalid imo, since it can easily be changed inbetween 2 separate games.
BF could even have an entire moveset based around maintaining his Balloons. Pumping them up or bursting them for damaging attacks.

On paper, he just seems to be a cool and unique character who‘d be a loving Tribute to Iwata-san

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I have a hunch that it's going to Balloon Fight over Balloon Kid if something comes out it because, unlike Balloon Fight, Balloon Kid hasn't been referenced again outside of Virtual Console (both in Smash and Nintendo in general). But who knows?

Fun Fact: While Japan didn't get Balloon Kid until 10 years after US (as Balloon Fight GB for GBC), it was released in Japan in 1992 as "Hello Kitty World" for the Famicom.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Don't forget Balloon Man from Balloon Fight Game & Watch. I often feel he's the most obscure out of the Balloon Fight trio of heroes since a lot of gamers don't realize that there is a G&W version of Balloon Fight.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I for one can't wait for the Nintendo Arcade Archives release of Vs. Balloon Fight for Switch. I'm curious how it will do the multiplayer considering each player had their own screen on the real machines.

But we might be waiting for a while. Hamster stated each Nintendo Arcade Archives title will take 2-3 months to release. We've gotten 3 titles since last September and 8 more titles (one being Vs. Balloon Fight) remain.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Count me as a supporter. Definitely my most-wanted retro character. Would be super unique as an airborne fighter, and a wonderful tribute to Iwata-san.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I still have to wonder if Villager having his Balloon Trip special move again will discount him. I would say he is impossible now, but considering how many impossible things just got revealed with the Smash Ultimate dump, I will hold a wee bit of hope Balloon Fighter gets in. That wee hope is most likely false hope though. :(

D

Deleted member

Taku is down. Balloon Fighter and/or Lip, my most wanted Retro's still got a chance.
The Villager still has the same up B though, so it's fair to say that he's out after how things went in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

Sorry, guys, but I think Villager's up b would have been changed if Balloon Fighter was made playable.
I honestly think so too, there's no point in kidding ourselves into believing otherwise if you ask me.

Although with both Takamaru and Balloon Fighter out of the running, it makes me wonder if there is even gonna be a "Retro" character at this point.

Mike Jones and Mr. Stevenson (from the NES game Gumshoe) do not have any presence in Japan so they are likely not in the game in any shape or form. Mach Rider doesn't have anything notorious going from him, and almost every other retro choice (Ayumi, Lip, Prince Sable, Goku from Yuyuki, etc) suffers from the same issues as Takamaru but even worse. The only one i think has a chance is Excitebiker.

There's also the "don't expect a lot of newcomers" thing that Sakurai said.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I honestly think so too, there's no point in kidding ourselves into believing otherwise if you ask me.

Although with both Takamaru and Balloon Fighter out of the running, it makes me wonder if there is even gonna be a "Retro" character at this point.

Mike Jones and Mr. Stevenson (from the NES game Gumshoe) do not have any presence in Japan so they are likely not in the game in any shape or form. Mach Rider doesn't have anything notorious going from him, and almost every other retro choice (Ayumi, Lip, Prince Sable, Goku from Yuyuki, etc) suffers from the same issues as Takamaru but even worse. The only one i think has a chance is Excitebiker.

There's also the "don't expect a lot of newcomers" thing that Sakurai said.
I'd also say Excitebiker has a solid chance. I also still think a historical retro is possible even though Sheriff's out of the running.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Yeah, come on. This is a support thread. Not a oh, one thing can't be in common with others therefore he is dead.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Noticed this thread a bit far back and just wanted to shout out my support for Balloon Fighter. I absolutely love the Balloon Fight series, with it having my favourite Nintendo Land attraction, one my favourite Game Boy games and my favourite NES game to it's credit; so naturally I would love to see Balloon Fighter (and an alternative skin for Alice) playable.

I'm surprised with how the move-set suggestion has stuck so much with just the NES and Arcade source for Balloon Fighter. I would take into account Balloon Kid and the Nintendo Land's Balloon Trip for move-set ideas, allowing Balloon Fighter to represent more than just his NES game.

Yeah, come on. This is a support thread. Not a oh, one thing can't be in common with others therefore he is dead.
Agreed; the title currently sounds so defeated, but I still believe Balloon Fighter has a chance and still would put him amongst the top 3 most likely retro newcomers. I never expected Villager's Up B to change, a single referential move rather than core part of the character, so I'm not sure why it returning is evidence of Balloon Fighter being excluded. Even if Balloon Fighter doesn't pop up in this SSB, I doubt the reasoning will be Villager's Up B.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I really hope that just because he's Villager's Up Special doesn't mean anything. He's definitely in my Top 10. No matter what, I will support him!

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
With my 17 year quest to play as Ridley in Smash Bros reaching a victorious end in a few months, the only other realizable character I can get behind, is Balloon Fighter. The man who created the game was one of my heroes, and I spent more time playing Balloon Fight in Animal Crossing as a kid, then actually playing Animal Crossing. If he is not in the base game, I want him as DLC.

Top Bottom