• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The reason why L-canceling and wavedashing as we know it in melee won't be making a comeback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
I figured I'd make a new topic about this one since it covers both mechanics rather than just one. But basically Sakurai explains why in this nintendoeverything article. https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...es-and-additions-choosing-taunts-much-more/2/

"I feel that when it comes to techniques in games, the harder it is to pull off, the more it leans towards a core audience. For example, in the past, we had a feature where pressing the R Button can cancel out your landing lag, but we’ve since removed this. The execution is simple, but how you implement it has depth. The Short Hop Attack, which is usually hard to pull off, is an example. By simplifying the process of quickly tapping the jump button while executing an attack while in the air, anybody can use this technique, to an extent. This addition is one of a series of additions that drives at our core thinking with this game – the best competition happens after everybody can properly control the character."

I myself wouldn't be against wavedashing if it had it's own button and didn't affect other mechanics, but L canceling really is one of those things where you aren't playing the game right if you aren't doing it every time. Feel free to have a different opinion, that's no problem. But the article does pretty much confirm that they won't be making a comeback, at least not in the forms that we're used to using them.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom