• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Really Bad Parent Pokemon - Dragapult for Smash!

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
#887 - Dragapult
Dragapult PNG.png

When it isn't battling, it keeps Dreepy in the holes on its horns. Once a fight starts, it launches the Dreepy like supersonic missiles.

Apparently the Dreepy inside Dragapult's horns eagerly look forward to being launched out at Mach speeds.

Dragapult is the pseudo legendary of the Galar region, a Ghost/Dragon type speedster that uses its babies as ammo. As you can see, Dragapult's horns serve as little tents for its pre-evolution Dreepy. It can fire these Dreepy out in battle as missiles, which seems a little bit concerning until you read that the Dreepy apparently really enjoy it, and even "eagerly look forward" to it. This gimmick of firing out Dreepy as ammo is seen in Dragapult's signature move, Dragon Darts, a Dragon-type move that hits the opponent twice (once for each Dreepy). As far as we know, there's nothing restricting Dragapult's from having more than two Dreepy, but for now, we've only ever seen them with two.

The transformation from Dreepy to Dragapult is another classic Pokemon case of a really weak, useless Pokemon turning into a huge powerhouse when it evolves. As a Dreepy, it has very poor stats and an incredibly lackluster movepool, with no Dragon-type moves and the strongest Ghost-type move being the 30 base power Astonish. Once it evolves, however, into Drakloak and then Dragapult, it gains a myriad of strong moves, as well as becoming one of the strongest and fastest Pokemon in the Galar region. Its 142 base speed outdoes even things like Mega Manetric and Mega Mewtwo Y! Though it's primarily a Physical attacker, it gets a lot of strong coverage moves on the Special side, so it can even run Mixed or Special sets. Its 100 base Special Attack isn't quite as high as its Physical Attack, but it's still nothing to scoff at.

Why Dragapult?
That's a great question, and I'm glad you asked. Dragapult has a ton of potential for a unique and fun moveset, due to its ability to use Dreepy as weapons. It has has a high focus on speed and stealth, even being the Stealth Pokemon. This could lend itself well to a style that focuses on keeping just out of reach of the opponent while pelting them with Dreepy or other quick attacks. In addition, while using characters as weapons or tools in battle isn't a new concept in Smash (Peach, King Dedede, etc.), the only character where that it's really integral to the design is Olimar and Rosalina. Adding another character like that could be cool, and Dragapult could put its own spin on the concept.

In terms of representation, while Pokemon is not necessarily hurting for another character, gen 8 could definitely use a rep. In addition, Dragapult would be the first Ghost-type and the first Dragon-type representation in the Smash roster, unless you want to count Charizard's final smash from Smash 4 as Dragon representation. Dragapult would also be our first Pseudo legendary in Smash. It's kinda interesting that we've never had one, and some might say that Sakurai is intentionally not including them, but I'd say that as long as it isn't expressly deconfirmed, anything is fair game at this point.

In addition, Dragapult is just popular. It's one of the most popular designs of the new generation, with tons of people putting it on their in-game teams for Sword and Shield. Unfortunately, you have to go way out of your way to obtain one, but it's a testament to how good of a design this is that people are willing to jump through so many hoops to get one. In fact, Dragapult has seemingly become extremely popular even when compared with Pokemon from all generations, ranking in at #11 out of all of the Pokemon in the 2020 Pokemon Day Poll. Maybe its popularity has to do with being able to use a powerful pseudo-legendary as well as its adorable baby form at the same time. Maybe it has to do with its suspicious eyes and wide mouth. Or maybe it's just because it's a really powerful Ghost/Dragon Pokemon. Whatever the reason, I'm sure many people would love to see it in Smash.

What about insert other Gen 8 Pokemon here?
First and foremost, the Pokemon Day Poll showed that Dragapult is the most popular out of all of the gen 8 Pokemon. Just getting that out of the way so I don't have to repeat it for every Pokemon. And yes, the Pokemon Day Poll took place after Sakurai said the Fighters Pass 2 characters were finalized, but it was still evident beforehand that Dragapult was very popular. Additionally, his main focus with that comment was telling people not to spam him with requests. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they just saved a slot for a gen 8 character and waited for the results of the Pokemon Day Poll to decide which one to include.

The starters (Rillaboom, Cinderace, and Inteleon): These seem like the biggest competitors for Dragapult. All three of them could feasibly work as a fighter, and all three of them could provide interesting moves and mechanics. Out of the three of them, Cinderace seems to be the biggest competitor. It got number 6 out of all of the Galar Pokemon, and they've been pushing its line in the new anime series, just as they did for Greninja and Incineroar before they got added to Smash. However, Dragapult seems to have more to offer than Cinderace, moveset wise. Cinderace's main gimmick is using flame balls as soccer balls. That's a really cool concept, and I could see Cinderace having some cool moves based on that, but it's unrealistic to think that it would conjure a soccer ball for every attack. For most of its attacks, it would likely be a simple kick based fighter, which is neat, but not anything especially groundbreaking. Rillaboom and Inteleon both have neat gimmicks, with Rillaboom's drumming focus and Inteleon's spy theme, but Dragapult would have so much more potential for a creative and unique moveset.

Toxtricity: Toxtricity got second place in the Pokemon Day Poll, right behind Dragapult, it's humanoid, and it has lots of moveset potential due to its unique typing and sound based design. There's no denying that Toxtricity has potential for a fun, creative moveset, but when it comes down to it, I believe that Dragapult outshines it. However, there's one problem that seems to make Toxtricity less likely. It has two forms that would require slightly different models and animations, and it is unable to freely switch between them. If it were able to switch between the forms, it could be incorporated into its gameplay, but as it is, that would go against how the forms worked in the games. It is possible that they could do palette swaps, as some characters with alternate costumes, including Byleth and Ike, have some differing animations between their costumes. However, they do not change any attack animations, meaning the Toxtricity forms as palette swaps with differing attack animations would be unprecedented. That's not to say that it would be impossible, but it could be a factor against Toxtricity's inclusion.

Zacian/Zamazenta: Though Zacian and Zamazenta certainly have moveset potential, it doesn't seem like anything they can do would be able to surpass Dragapult. In terms of likeliness, Sakurai has never added a mascot legendary as a playable character. Doing so would require him to choose between the two legendaries, and though he has no problem choosing between the starters, picking between the faces of the games seems like it would be a bigger deal, as it actually influences which version consumers pick. That's not necessarily an inherently bad thing, but it seems like something Game Freak would prefer to avoid.

Urshifu: The new legendary in the DLC could be an option, but it suffers from the same problem as Toxtricity: it has two forms that require different models and animations, and they can't be switched between freely. I'm sure Sakurai could figure out a way to make it work, but it does seem to lessen Urshifu's chances, especially considering that Urshifu's forms have drastically different poses and animations. We also don't know a ton about Urshifu's battle capabilities currently, but it doesn't seem like it will be able to match Dragapult in uniqueness.

Zarude: The new mythical is also a potential option, but Sakurai has never added a mythical Pokemon as a Smash fighter, which might be intentional. Zarude could have some neat moves with its vines, but Ivysaur already uses vines a decent amount, and it doesn't compare to the sheer moveset potential that Dragapult has.

Please don't take any of this as me trying to bash Dragapult's opponents. As a huge Pokemon fan, I'm sure I'd be ecstatic for any new Pokemon to join the fray. However, when looking at all of these great options for a Pokemon rep, it seems to me that Dragapult is the clear standout due to its popularity, stellar design, and unique gimmick that lends itself to a fun, creative moveset.

What would Dragapult's moveset be like?
As I mentioned earlier, Dragapult could have a moveset all about keeping your distance from the opponent while chipping at them with your quick, long-range attacks. Dragapult is actually nine feet tall when you include its tail, so it could definitely have some good range on its attacks. Speaking of the tail, that and the Dreepy would likely be Dragapult's primary form of attack. Its stubby little legs and arms don't really give it much momentum for attacks, so its tail is its best weapon. It could also have some nice headbutt attacks, as that's its other very prominent body feature.

Neutral Special: Dragon Darts
Dragapult fires one Dreepy forward, and another if you press the button again. The Dreepy automatically home in slightly towards opponents, and the move can be angled up or down.

Forward Special: U-Turn
Dragapult lunges forward for as long as you hold down the button. If it reaches an opponent, it unleashes a powerful tail swipe before disappearing and reappearing where it started. Alternatively, you can release the button early to quickly teleport back to its original position. It's a good option for approaching an opponent, as you can quickly return to safety if it seems your opponent will counterattack you.

Up Special: Phantom Force
A pretty typical teleport, but with a slight twist. Dragapult disappears in ghostly energy, and reappears elsewhere in another burst of ghostly energy. Unlike most teleports, however, you can keep holding the button down to delay Dragapult's reappearance. Any one who gets caught in the burst takes chip damage for a few seconds.

Down Special: Grudge
A counter move where Dragapult blocks for a second. However, instead of dealing damage if it activates, it simply stops your opponent from using any moves or shielding for several seconds. This gives Dragapult a good opportunity to go in for an attack.

Final Smash: Dynamax Dragon Darts
Dragapult Dynamaxes, turning massive in size, and flies to the background. Very similarly to Bowser's Final Smash, a target appears on the screen and you aim and fire a Dreepy to attack the opponent from the background. The shot is less powerful than Giga Bowser's punch, but you have two shots, one for each Dreepy.

Neutral Attack: Dragapult slashes with both of its claws before one of the Dreepy pops out for a headbutt. The claw hits have pretty short range but the Dreepy has long range.

Dash Attack: Dragapult lunges forward and hits opponents with its head. The two Dreepy shoot out a short distance, giving it a little bit of extra range (though the Dreepy do less damage than Dragapult).

Forward Tilt: A basic claw swipe.

Up Tilt: A headbutt upwards.

Down Tilt: A tail swipe at the ground.

Forward Smash: Dragapult charges up and fires a blast of dragonic energy out of its mouth, like Ridley's forward smash.

Up Smash: Dragapult flips and whacks the air above it with its tail

Down Smash: The two Dreepy fly out, one to the left and one to the right, and perform a headbutt.

Neutral Air: Dragapult spins around, hitting everything around it with its tail.

Forward Air: Dragapult fires a Dreepy forward.

Back Air: Dragapult fires a Dreepy backwards.

Up Air: Dragapult fires a Dreepy up.

Down Air: Dragapult fires a Dreepy down.

Grab: Grabs the opponent with its tail. Decently long range.

Pummel: The two Dreepy headbutt the opponent.

Forward Throw: Dragapult throws the opponent forward with its tail.

Back Throw: Dragapult slams the opponent on the ground behind it, sending them flying.

Up Throw: Dragapult tosses the opponent up and a Dreepy headbutts it.

Down Throw: Dragapult headbutts the opponent into the ground.

Taunt 1: The two Dreepy fight in midair while Dragapult chuckles.

Taunt 2: Dragapult roars menacingly with the two Dreepy doing the same.

Taunt 3: A Dreepy flies out of Dragapult's horn, looking around curiously, before getting scared and flying back in.

Victory Animation 1: The area is blank, with the camera looking around for Dragapult. Dragapult appears in the center of the screen in ghostly energy.

Victory Animation 2: Dragapult flies by really fast from the left to the right. The camera turns to the right to look for Dragapult, only for it to appear from the left side of the screen laughing.

Victory Animation 3: The two Dreepy are flying around Dragapult as it looks overwhelmed.

Losing Animation: Dragapult claps somewhat unsuccessfully (with its arms being a little bit too short)

Dragapult Alternate Colors.png

So, yeah! If you agree that Dragapult could be a great addition to the Smash Bros roster, just ask to be added to the supporters list and I'll add you as soon as I can! In addition, if you have a moveset idea for Dragapult, post it and I can add it to the OP.

Supporters
dimensionsword64
Pokelego999
RealPokeFan11
Xevious 1
SvartWolf
LukeRNG
IronWarrior94
toonito​

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ballistic babies is a sorely underepresented weapon type in Smash.

BlueKirbySquad

Smash Cadet
The Gen 8 Squad

Eiscue
Morpeko
Toxtricity
Dragapult
Dracovish

Someone help me make a Toxtricity Thread

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
So we have official art of Dreepy and Dragapult, thought it's not super high quality. Eventually, when they get uploaded to the Pokemon website, I'll put higher quality versions in the OP. In other news, with the announcement of six more DLC characters and the knowledge that they can be first party, a gen 8 newcomer seems pretty plausible, or maybe even likely. Of course, Dragapult faces pretty strong competition from the starters or Toxtricity, but I do think Dragapult has a chance.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
My most wanted gen 8 Pokemon in Smash!

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I'm sick of boring biped starters / cool gen promotional gen faces for pokemon. If we need another pokemon for smash, i want either something super cute, or something super weird. (or at least a snake, a bird or a quadruped.)

Dragapult certainly fits perfectly in teh weird category, is also popular, metadefining and a GHOST, tons of plus points.
If we NEED an 8th gen pokemon, definetly Dragapult, Alcremie, the legendary wolves and Corviknight are my picks.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I've been thinking about supporting someone else along with Zacian/Zamazenta. I want to support my favorite pokemon from gen 8.
While i wouldn't mind any of the biped pokemon getting in (except maybe the starters mainly because they're very uninteresting compared to previous gens in terms of offering something unique), i'd love to see the first pseudo legendary pokemon (who turned out to be #1 most popular gen 8 pokemon AND #11 overal).
There's so much personality that can come out with potential interactions with it's 2 dreepy.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
The news that an ARMS fighter will be the first character in the second Fighters Pack makes it seem like there will be more of a focus on first party characters this time. Along with the fact that there's new Sword and Shield content coming out this year, it seems very plausible that Nintendo would want to promote Sword and Shield. I do worry a little bit about a DLC Pokemon being chosen, but so far, it doesn't seem like there's any that would beat Dragapult. Zarude seems possible, but it seems as if Sakurai prefers to not put legendaries and mythicals as Smash fighters. Obviously Mewtwo is an exception, but Mewtwo is also one of the most popular Pokemon, so it makes sense. In addition to being a legendary, Urshifu seems to suffer from the same problem as Toxtricity: it has two forms that have slightly different models and animations, and it doesn't transform between those forms. This would make it more difficult to add them to Smash, as Sakurai would need to account for both forms. The forms are similar enough that it would be hard to justify them as separate characters (like Samus and ZSS), but they're different enough that they (probably) can't be pallet swaps.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
The news that an ARMS fighter will be the first character in the second Fighters Pack makes it seem like there will be more of a focus on first party characters this time. Along with the fact that there's new Sword and Shield content coming out this year, it seems very plausible that Nintendo would want to promote Sword and Shield. I do worry a little bit about a DLC Pokemon being chosen, but so far, it doesn't seem like there's any that would beat Dragapult. Zarude seems possible, but it seems as if Sakurai prefers to not put legendaries and mythicals as Smash fighters. Obviously Mewtwo is an exception, but Mewtwo is also one of the most popular Pokemon, so it makes sense. In addition to being a legendary, Urshifu seems to suffer from the same problem as Toxtricity: it has two forms that have slightly different models and animations, and it doesn't transform between those forms. This would make it more difficult to add them to Smash, as Sakurai would need to account for both forms. The forms are similar enough that it would be hard to justify them as separate characters (like Samus and ZSS), but they're different enough that they (probably) can't be pallet swaps.
Even though a new pokemon is basically a given, let's not get ahead of ourselves. The way the announced that arms character was the 1st character in season 2 was the best way to handle it given how most people don't care about arms. This could mean they're developing from the least exciting to most exciting reveal.

Arms could also be the only 1st party character to join.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Even though a new pokemon is basically a given, let's not get ahead of ourselves. The way the announced that arms character was the 1st character in season 2 was the best way to handle it given how most people don't care about arms. This could mean they're developing from the least exciting to most exciting reveal.

Arms could also be the only 1st party character to join.
I'm not denying that we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, but least exciting to most exciting doesn't seem like how they would want to do this, considering there's a Fighters Pass that they want people to buy upfront. The last Fighters Pass started with Joker (who seemed very well received), and ended with Byleth (who was very poorly received). The best way for Nintendo to get people to buy the pass is with an opening character that tells the fans that the rest of the pack will be good. In this case, many fans seem to want more first party characters after the mainly third party character Fighters Pass 1. By starting with a first party character (even though, as you mentioned, Arms isn't incredibly popular) Nintendo might be hoping that people will buy the pass in hopes that it will contain more first party characters.

Of course, this is all just speculation and I could be completely wrong, but it seems to me that Nintendo wants us to know that there will be more first party characters in this pack. And if there's more of a focus on first parties, it's good news for us Pokemon fans!

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Would the skins have a theme or just whatever color looks appealing?
I'm thinking having the alts be based on pseudo-legendaries.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Would the skins have a theme or just whatever color looks appealing?
I'm thinking having the alts be based on pseudo-legendaries.
That's a really cool idea! Dragapult would match the pseudo, while the Dreepy would resemble the baby form of the pseudo. Unfortunately, there are nine pseudos, because Hoenn had two, so one would have to be left out. Of them, I think Salamence and Hydreigon are the most similar, color wise, so one of them could probaby be omitted.

Dragapult being multiple Pokemon in one gives room for a lot of creative color options. They could have the Dreepy be colored differently than Dragapult, or they could even color each Dreepy differently.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
That's a really cool idea! Dragapult would match the pseudo, while the Dreepy would resemble the baby form of the pseudo. Unfortunately, there are nine pseudos, because Hoenn had two, so one would have to be left out. Of them, I think Salamence and Hydreigon are the most similar, color wise, so one of them could probaby be omitted.

Dragapult being multiple Pokemon in one gives room for a lot of creative color options. They could have the Dreepy be colored differently than Dragapult, or they could even color each Dreepy differently.
I was actually thinking of combining Metagross & Salamence's colors somehow. I'll be experimenting with that and see if something works.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Here are the colors:
0 Colors.png

Some were definitely harder than others but i'm happy with most of them. Combining Salamence & Metagross was easier than i thought as they share a very similar shade of blue (in their dream artwork).

Also the 5th is absolutely my favorite.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Here are the colors:
View attachment 270865

Some were definitely harder than others but i'm happy with most of them. Combining Salamence & Metagross was easier than i thought as they share a very similar shade of blue (in their dream artwork).

These look incredible! I especially love the one based on Hydreigon. That shade of blue is absolutely gorgeous on Dragapult! The one based on Goodra is also really striking. The pale colors really emphasize Dragapult's ghostliness! If you're okay with it, I'd love to add these to the OP (with credit, of course).

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
These look incredible! I especially love the one based on Hydreigon. That shade of blue is absolutely gorgeous on Dragapult! The one based on Goodra is also really striking. The pale colors really emphasize Dragapult's ghostliness! If you're okay with it, I'd love to add these to the OP (with credit, of course).
Go right ahead.

When do you think would be the best time to announce a gen 8 pokemon? Would we get it this year or early 2021?

Last edited:

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Consider me a supporter. I recall Dragapult being the most popular Gen 8 Pokemon via a worldwide survey taken a few months back, so hopefully that lends some support for its inclusion. The starters are most likely, but it would be nice to have something different for a change.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
When are we feeling the pokemon newcomer will release and which numbered fighter? I think either end of this year or early next year we get the reveal as fighter #8 or 9. I think #7 will be a 3rd party.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
When are we feeling the pokemon newcomer will release and which numbered fighter? I think either end of this year or early next year we get the reveal as fighter #8 or 9. I think #7 will be a 3rd party.
My guess is that a Pokemon newcomer would be revealed either pretty soon (Summer Nintendo Direct) or sometime in the winter, to match up with the releases of the Sword and Shield DLC. Definitely not a guarantee, though, considering Byleth came out months after the release of Three House. If a Pokemon newcomer does come out this year, that would make probably make it either #7 or #8.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Consider me a supporter. I recall Dragapult being the most popular Gen 8 Pokemon via a worldwide survey taken a few months back, so hopefully that lends some support for its inclusion. The starters are most likely, but it would be nice to have something different for a change.
It actually is! I checked bulbapedia. Makes me re evaluate Pults Chances.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
So Dragapult has debuted in the anime (specifially Twilight Wings).
Dragapult 1.png
Dragapult 2.png
It looks cooler than I anticipated.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I've been thinking on how people rarely (if ever) talk about Dragapult as a possible candidate and the reason for it.

Do you think making Dragapult playable would take more work compared to the starters, Urshifu or Toxtricity? Cause I honestly don't think it's as hard as some people think: if we can have quadruped characters I don't see why we can't have a floaty character who'd count as biped if it stood on the ground.

This reminds me of the reasons people had to justify why Incineroar was picked over Decidueye: that Incineroar lends itself to a fighting moveset more than the Archer Decidueye (who's also Ghost type coincidentally enough).

Last edited:

VARNAMi

Smash Rookie
Here are the colors:
View attachment 270865

Garchomp alt looks clean

Top Bottom