• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The real rules for a new character in smash

Subaru UWU

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
UWU#969
Howdy everyone,

I'm here speculating as one does, and i constantly see these rules about who and how someone can make it to smash, only for those rules to break every release.
So i'm here, connecting the dots, to say that there's only 2 rules to becoming a new character in smash.

1. New character can't be a current trophy
  • They can be past trophies
  • They can be a spirit
  • They can be a Mii costume
2. They HAVE to originate from a game

• They can have a film/anime adaptation/ television series after the establishment of a franchise
  • They need to have a franchise; whether that is one game then a show, 12 games in the series, or a game with with peripherals for a console generation, they have to be recognizable figure ( I think Piranha Plant was the only oddball we will see)

I believe that Nintendo doesnt have a problem adding characters from any where they see fit but stick the "essence of smash" when adding a character. Adding characters that mean a lot the the gamer.

and as for the current trophy rule, i just see why they would confuse players having, for example, a neutral color alucard trophy as you are playing neutral alucard, not a smash move if you ask me.

PS:
With the last several characters, i think it's safe to say that the remaining characters will not be a Fire Emblem character (lol); also most likely not a Nintendo IP and if so maybe 1 more. I think the ARMS release was done on purpose, in the sense that it was announced before it's trailer to kind of limit expectations so that the next new character would seem even nuttier. I'm thinking a third party character in "Ratchet" from ratchet and clank. I think clank would be used how Duck hunt uses Gunman or Peach and Daisy use Toad. as it seems they don't like adding duos that often. This would work with the upcoming release of their new game, an established character that started in games and even has a movie.

would love to hear your thoughts!

cpm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cpm001
3DS FC
0705-4380-2066
Switch FC
sw-0519-8110-5525
I think the shadow queen will make it.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Does that mean Carmen Sandiego could be a smash fighter; since SHE Was Originally from a Computer Game?!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
and as for the current trophy rule, i just see why they would confuse players having, for example, a neutral color alucard trophy as you are playing neutral alucard, not a smash move if you ask me.
You do realize there are many cases where the pool of spawnable ATs is limited, right?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The bar for making the cut seems to be higher for DLC than the base game; Makes sense, considering they're extra content being sold outside the initial release. Nintendo needs to get people on board with them. Piranha Plant is the exception, seeing as they're a funny little joke for those who preordered the game. As for the other DLCs:
  • Joker and Terry seem to be Sakurai-appeal characters, with him voicing approval for Persona 5 and having nostalgia for King of Fighters, plus their darkhorse status.
  • Byleth and Min Min are pushed by Nintendo; Byleth was chosen in advance and Min Min was clearly trying to drum up ARMS hype.
  • Banjo was chosen out of fan demand, proving Nintendo does listen. That being said, he was the only one to do so, so we'll probably got only one popular request for FP2; My money's on Isaac.
  • Hero is interesting in that they're easily the most iconic out of the DLCs. That being said, they were pushing Dragon Quest XIS pretty hard. Eleven was in front, the stage and Legend Spirit are from DQ11, the Tockles were added after launch, and they only mentioned DQ11S, no mention of the original version. I'd risk saying they're the biggest "shill pick" of all.

Subaru UWU

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
UWU#969
You do realize there are many cases where the pool of spawnable ATs is limited, right?
Yes but I dont believe they would add someone like alucard or shadow. I dont believe they can't do it but rather its bureaucratic and don't want to.

Subaru UWU

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
UWU#969
how come your gut feelings equal the real "rules"
Because in all honesty i believe that, in actuality besides coming from a game maybe, there isn't any rules. i truly think they could careless about rules and more about a fun experience for the consumer. Sakurai isn't going to be apart of another smash game after this...

will there be another yes, is it possible without him they invite anime characters or comic book villains.. possible

but for now i think it's a game from games for gamers, if that makes sense lmao

Top Bottom