• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rareware General Characters Support Thread

If you could only choose one, which Rare character would you like to see in Smash?

• Banjo-Kazooie

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Battletoads (Rash, Zitz, Pimple)

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Conker

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Cooper (Grabbed by the Ghoulies)

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Fulgore (Killer Instinct

• Hudson Horstachio (Viva Piñata)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • James Bond (Golden Eye 64)

• Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)

• Juno (Jet Force Gemini)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Kinect Sports Character (Better choose this option)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Mumbo Jumbo (Banjo-Kazooie)

• Gruntilda (Banjo-Kazooie)

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!

In 2019 and beforehand, Rare has only been focusing on one game of theirs: Sea of Thieves. All of the other franchises that people grew to love from the company (Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Conker, Killer Instinct) are either dead or barely alive. The problem is, the fate of many beloved franchises from Rare are uncertain, with some getting new games here and there while others are left in the dust. Smash Bros. seems like the only event that will bring many of these franchises mainstream attention, and may finally show Rare how much we love many of their games. Rare needs to understand that they're sitting on very valuable IPs, and that they're only hurting themselves by pretending they don't exist half the time.

This thread is being made in the likes of the Square Enix thread, a place where we can all chill and discuss Rare games we love, while also speculating who could get into Smash Bros. and be awesome additions. In fact, this time around, it doesn't seem like an impossibility for a Rare character to join the fray thanks to Microsoft and Nintendo collaborating on many projects. Minecraft and Fortnite are cross-compatible on the Xbox and Switch, Phil Spencer (head of Xbox) wants to bring both Xbox Live and Xbox Games Pass to Switch, and there are even rumors of Xbox employees making weekly visits to the Nintendo of America offices in Washington. This is a very exciting time to be a Smash Bros. and Rare fan, because ever since the fateful buyout, it seems like Rare characters (who are regarded as Nintendo characters by many) finally have a chance to appear in the game. Remember, Sakurai considered putting Banjo and Kazooie into Melee, but noted that it would be difficult due to Microsoft now owning the property. However, not only do we now have Phil Spencer's endorsement of Banjo (and likely other Rare characters) but Rare studio director Craig Duncan has confirmed in a 2018 interview that it's not uncommon for other companies to ask for permission to use Rare IPs, but they would only be licensed if the company has an innovative and new idea for the IP. The new Battletoads seems to confirm this, and doesn't Smash Bros. seem like an "innovative and new" place to bring beloved Rare characters?

Although Banjo-Kazooie is the most likely Rare character to get into Smash first, there are lots of other characters that can easily have a moveset and fit in with the rest of the cast as well. In this thread, we can talk away at all the possibilities. In its prime, Rare was such a creative and humorous company, who have developed an array of characters, each with their own unique qualities and merits of getting into Smash. So even though Banjo is the most likely, the possibilities of who can get in from Rare seems almost endless.

Me personally, I will always regard these characters as Nintendo characters. They all look like one big family to me, even the DK Crew is present! To kick things off, I'd like to ask: Do you guys think something will come out of Microsoft and Nintendo's relationship going forward in 2019 and beyond? Also, which Rare franchises would you like to see brought back to life?

Here are the individual support threads for Rare-owned characters:
(If I am missing any, please let me know!)

D

Deleted member

I like this.
In my case, I am fine with any Rareware rep.

Some of the ones in my mind have cool stuff to work with in Smash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Can you put Gruntilda on that voting poll please. I know she isn't likely, but she is just as much of a pipe dream as Mumbo Jumbo at the moment. Besides Banjo & Kazooie though, I believe Rash from Battletoads or Dixie Kong if we are counting the Nintendo owned Rareware characters would be the two most likely if not Banjo & Kazooie.

TheBeastHimself

Can you put Gruntilda on that voting poll please. I know she isn't likely, but she is just as much of a pipe dream as Mumbo Jumbo at the moment. Besides Banjo & Kazooie though, I believe Rash from Battletoads or Dixie Kong if we are counting the Nintendo owned Rareware characters would be the two most likely if not Banjo & Kazooie.
Yup :)

Though I can't alphabetize the poll anymore since I can't edit previous entries, but Gruntilda is there. We're free to talk about Nintendo/Rare characters like Dixie, but I'm going to keep the poll strictly Rare-owned characters since technically characters like Dixie already have a leg-up on everyone else by being owned by Nintendo.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Kinda wishing I voted for Mumbo Jumbo.

Who’s the little guy next to Dixie Kong? I don’t recognize him

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I would actually choose Pipsy the Mouse. :3

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

In 2019 and beforehand, Rare has only been focusing on one game of theirs: Sea of Thieves. All of the other franchises that people grew to love from the company (Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Conker, Killer Instinct) are either dead or barely alive. The problem is, the fate of many beloved franchises from Rare are uncertain, with some getting new games here and there while others are left in the dust. Smash Bros. seems like the only event that will bring many of these franchises mainstream attention, and may finally show Rare how much we love many of their games. Rare needs to understand that they're sitting on very valuable IPs, and that they're only hurting themselves by pretending they don't exist half the time.

This thread is being made in the likes of the Square Enix thread, a place where we can all chill and discuss Rare games we love, while also speculating who could get into Smash Bros. and be awesome additions. In fact, this time around, it doesn't seem like an impossibility for a Rare character to join the fray thanks to Microsoft and Nintendo collaborating on many projects. Minecraft and Fortnite are cross-compatible on the Xbox and Switch, Phil Spencer (head of Xbox) wants to bring both Xbox Live and Xbox Games Pass to Switch, and there are even rumors of Xbox employees making weekly visits to the Nintendo of America offices in Washington. This is a very exciting time to be a Smash Bros. and Rare fan, because ever since the fateful buyout, it seems like Rare characters (who are regarded as Nintendo characters by many) finally have a chance to appear in the game. Remember, Sakurai considered putting Banjo and Kazooie into Melee, but noted that it would be difficult due to Microsoft now owning the property. However, not only do we now have Phil Spencer's endorsement of Banjo (and likely other Rare characters) but Rare studio director Craig Duncan has confirmed in a 2018 interview that it's not uncommon for other companies to ask for permission to use Rare IPs, but they would only be licensed if the company has an innovative and new idea for the IP. The new Battletoads seems to confirm this, and doesn't Smash Bros. seem like an "innovative and new" place to bring beloved Rare characters?

Although Banjo-Kazooie is the most likely Rare character to get into Smash first, there are lots of other characters that can easily have a moveset and fit in with the rest of the cast as well. In this thread, we can talk away at all the possibilities. In its prime, Rare was such a creative and humorous company, who have developed an array of characters, each with their own unique qualities and merits of getting into Smash. So even though Banjo is the most likely, the possibilities of who can get in from Rare seems almost endless.

Me personally, I will always regard these characters as Nintendo characters. They all look like one big family to me, even the DK Crew is present! To kick things off, I'd like to ask: Do you guys think something will come out of Microsoft and Nintendo's relationship going forward in 2019 and beyond? Also, which Rare franchises would you like to see brought back to life?

Here are the individual support threads for Rare-owned characters:
(If I am missing any, please let me know!)
This was a great idea for a thread, I was actually thinking and saying it to myself about about a 2 weeks ago "Why haven't we started a unified Rare thread/discussion?" You would think we would have had one already by now , But better late than never I guess.

Anyways as much as I love most things Rareware (Mainly Donkey Kong, Banjo-Kazooie and Conker) But my vote of course has to go to Banjo-Kazooie since it's probably Rare's "Defacto" Mascot and it's their Most Biggest, Popular, Beloved and Successful "Original" IP (No offense to the other franchise's) ,But they would blend right in with the rest of Nintendo's All-Star cast, Especially next to fellow Rare creations DK, Diddy and K.Rool, The tag team has a Swiss army knife potential of moveset and they are just so damn likeable and charming.

I love the Donkey Kong Country series, Donkey Kong 64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day, But Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie might have the edge for my most favorite Rareware games ever created, So that is why the bear and the bird have my vote.

Last edited:

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
THAT'S A NO-BRAINER for Me;

Who Else but the Iconic Bear & Bird Duo?!!! They Used to belong to Nintendo, before being bought out by Microsoft; and Since Microsoft & Nintendo are now on such good terms; that they've got Cross-play between the Xbox & Nintendo Switch; Which means, Maybe the Rareware Characters will ONCE again be allowed to reunite with their former Nintendo Colleagues. . . I Mean, there's Minecraft, then there's Cuphead; Hopefully One day, Rareware will be allowed to be on Nintendo Platforms again, albeit via Cross-play

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
In an ideal world where Nintendo never sold Rare to Microsoft...

Playable fighters
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Conker
  • Joanna Dark
  • Fulgore
  • Rash
  • Zitz (semi-clone)
  • Pimple (semi-clone)
  • Juno
  • Vela (Echo)

Assist Trophies
  • Mumbo Jumbo
  • Snake Rattle ‘n’ Roll
  • Sabrewulf
  • Lupus
  • Jetpac
  • Sabreman

But alas, I vote for Banjo-Kazooie.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fulgore all the way. Killer Instinct is my absolute favorite Rareware game/series. Albeit, I haven't gotten to play much of KI2013 yet.

Regardless, I just love the series and the various announcer chatter, Combo Breaker, etc.

That said, there's tons of amazing characters and I do miss when Rareware was at its best, before it split off into Playtonic(as well as part of it being owned by Microsoft). Not that I don't appreciate the new Killer Instinct, and I'll probably like the new Battletoads. Until I play Nuts & Bolts, I can't really judge it. I won't pretend either of the original Banjo 64 games did much for me(not that I'm saying they aren't amazing regardless), but the other game could be fun. I love the idea of collecting and building, so who knows.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I would actually pick Lupus from Jet Force Gemini (it's a dog...with a gun on his back...AND jet boosters on his feet!!!!) instead of Juno, but I'll pick anyone from JFG, so Juno takes my vote. Then Conker after that.

Sorry Banjo fans, but JFG took up more of my childhood than Banjo-Kazooie. It holds a soft spot in my heart.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Arghh man, what a bummer it is to see Conker with so many less votes than Banjo-Kazooie!
I always thought one easily deserves just as much as the other, simply because they are the main mascots of Rare, and they're the first characters that come to mind, whenever someone thinks about the good old days when Nintendo owned Rareware, but whatever...

With that, obviously my vote goes to Conker, and NO, it's not just because Banjo is way ahead of Conker in terms of fan support, it's mostly because, in my perspective, Banjo-Kazooie is great, but it's nothing more than just another 3d platformer (no offense BK fans) whereas for me, Conker's Bad Fur Day is undoubtedly one of the most unique and memorable, not just 3d platformers, but also videogames that I have ever played (yes I know I'm biased, you don't have to tell me that).

TheBeastHimself

Arghh man, what a bummer it is to see Conker with so many less votes than Banjo-Kazooie!
I always thought one easily deserves just as much as the other, simply because they are the main mascots of Rare, and they're the first characters that come to mind, whenever someone thinks about the good old days when Nintendo owned Rareware, but whatever...

With that, obviously my vote goes to Conker, and NO, it's not just because Banjo is way ahead of Conker in terms of fan support, it's mostly because, in my perspective, Banjo-Kazooie is great, but it's nothing more than just another 3d platformer (no offense BK fans) whereas for me, Conker's Bad Fur Day is undoubtedly one of the most unique and memorable, not just 3d platformers, but also videogames that I have ever played (yes I know I'm biased, you don't have to tell me that).
It just boils down to unfortunate circumstances, I believe. For starters, Conker's Bad Fur Day came out literally months before the Gamecube, which caused sales to become abysmal. And, Conker never got a sequel because by the time one was in development, Microsoft cancelled those plans in favor of Live & Reloaded. I definitely think Conker deserves more credit than he's given, but I definitely understand why he's the underdog compared to Banjo.

I also think this is the perfect place to drop this (don't mind my little typos lol):

Conker for Smash.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It just boils down to unfortunate circumstances, I believe. For starters, Conker's Bad Fur Day came out literally months before the Gamecube, which caused sales to become abysmal. And, Conker never got a sequel because by the time one was in development, Microsoft cancelled those plans in favor of Live & Reloaded. I definitely think Conker deserves more credit than he's given, but I definitely understand why he's the underdog compared to Banjo.

I also think this is the perfect place to drop this (don't mind my little typos lol):

View attachment 201915
...I am tempted to point out the typos due to my Grammar Nazi inherent flaw/feature.

Anyway, this is true. He's pushed heavily in that regard. It feels weird since it seems like despite being a second face, we rarely see games. Speaking of, does Rareware-related merchandise release all that often? Like, I don't remember a Fulgore figure being anywhere. I barely have seen a Banjo plushie either. Etc. I can get why some Conker stuff isn't released in normal stores(like our flower lady might be released in more adult shops for good reasons), but that's kind of it. Despite the nature of Killer Instinct being Mortal Kombat-lite in a sense, the characters are all perfectly reasonable to have figures for at Gamestop. I mean, some are slightly bad, like Sheeva(Mortal Kombat) bad in terms of proper clothing, but it's not even that bad enough to be an issue. They're not actually nude, after all.

TheBeastHimself

...I am tempted to point out the typos due to my Grammar Nazi inherent flaw/feature.

Anyway, this is true. He's pushed heavily in that regard. It feels weird since it seems like despite being a second face, we rarely see games. Speaking of, does Rareware-related merchandise release all that often? Like, I don't remember a Fulgore figure being anywhere. I barely have seen a Banjo plushie either. Etc. I can get why some Conker stuff isn't released in normal stores(like our flower lady might be released in more adult shops for good reasons), but that's kind of it. Despite the nature of Killer Instinct being Mortal Kombat-lite in a sense, the characters are all perfectly reasonable to have figures for at Gamestop. I mean, some are slightly bad, like Sheeva(Mortal Kombat) bad in terms of proper clothing, but it's not even that bad enough to be an issue. They're not actually nude, after all.
I'm not entirely sure about Fulgore, but I know Banjo and Conker are getting two sets of figurines this year. I think Rare releases merchandise occasionally, at least from what I've seen.

Also, Conker got some games over the years. Oddly enough, he has received more games than Banjo since the Microsoft buyout with:

* Live & Reloaded (2005)
* Conker's Big Reunion (2014)
* Young Conker (2016)

Last edited:

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, this is true. He's pushed heavily in that regard. It feels weird since it seems like despite being a second face, we rarely see games. Speaking of, does Rareware-related merchandise release all that often?
Not really, unfortunately.

However, just this year, two new Rare figures were announced! Banjo-Kazooie...And Conker. The trend of putting the two together continues.

TheBeastHimself

However, just this year, two new Rare figures were announced! Banjo-Kazooie...And Conker. The trend of putting the two together continues.
Exactly. Banjo may be more popular, but wherever Banjo goes, Conker follows and vice versa.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not entirely sure about Fulgore, but I know Banjo and Conker are getting two sets of figurines this year. I think Rare releases merchandise occasionally, at least from what I've seen.

Also, Conker got some games over the years. Oddly enough, he has received more games than Banjo since the Microsoft buyout with:

* Live & Reloaded (2005)
* Conker's Big Reunion (2014)
* Young Conker (2016)
I never heard of the last two.

...He ain't no Young Link, that's for sure. :p

Makes sense. I just want more figures of the others. ...Though hey, if I can get a Fulgore amiibo... >.>

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Maybe if that Rare Replay on Switch thing does come through, we can get some Rare Character Amiibos...
That'd be amazing. Jago and Fulgore both should get one if we get KI2013. Or any KI game. If 2013, I'd think B. Orchid and the other major villains should get one too(Eyedol and Gargos. What was 2013's major villain? I never got a chance to play the full arcade mode. I got the game, but not the system).

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I've said it once, I'll say it again.
Grabbed by the Ghoulies is fantastic and deserves to be held to, at least, the same level as Conker.
Sorry, not wanting to sound like a partypooper, but I highly disagree with you.

While I won't deny that Grabbed by the Ghoulies looks really fun and appealing (I only watch a bit of it on Youtube), and should get some kind of recognition, It is certainly not on the same level as Conker, when it comes to deserving and realistic options for Rare characters in Smash Brothers.

TheBeastHimself

For me it would be:

Banjo
Joanna Dark
Timber
Conker

In that order.

Rare is the saddest story in gaming history so many AAA titles characters, and IP’s just left to slowly die.
I really want to see Timber and the other DKR characters make a comeback. In fact, a new game in that series would be great though I don't know if that will ever happen again, sadly...

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I always had this neat concept for timber having a move set.

If anyone has ever played Dota 2 there is a hero called invoker who three elemental orbs which gives him 9 specials based on which combination of the three he has.

I always thought you could do something like that with Timber and the balloons from DKR.

Say his neutral B is selecting 3 balloons similar to the way Shulk selects monado arts.

Then his specials, grab, and shield change based on which combination of 3 he has.

Say his side B is red ballons
Up-B blue ballons
Down- b green balloons
Grab Range rainbow balloons
Shield yellow balloons

0 red give him no side b
1 red gives him a missile like falco laser esc.
2 red gives him a homing missle like samus
3 red gives him 5 rapid fire missles that travel the whole screen length

0 green gives no down b
1 green gives a oil drop on the stage, similar to roller ink, which causes opponents to trip if they go over it.
2 green gives a spike mine on the stage that is powerful like snakes c4, but just sits there till someone hits it.
3 green gives a bubble he can put on the stage where if tthe opponent gets in it, it works like the black hole item where you can get free hits but dont take knockback while in it.

0 blue gives no up-b
1 blue he hops on a rocket(think wizpigs) and shoots a short distance with orange flame
2 blue hops on a rocket and shoots a medium distance with blue flames
3 blue hops on a rockets and shoots a far distance with purple flames

0 rainbow regular melee fighter grab.
1 rainbow he uses a yellow magnet and gains small range like yoshi’s range.
2 rainbow he uses a red magnet and gains ylink like grab range
3 rainbow he uses a green magnet and gains samus like grab range.

0 yellow he has normal shield.
1 yellow he gets a more durable shield gains yellow rings visual around it.
2 yellow he gets more durable a shield and gains hitbox on his shield like psi magnet on ness down-b and gains a blue rings visual around it
3 yellow gets more durable, gains hitbox and his sheild auto reflects all projectiles and gains a green rings visual around it.

So depending on which combination you have you alter his move set. Say you want a projectile and decent grab. So you set your balloons to be 1 red and 2 rainbow.

Or say its getting nitty gritty percent wise so you switch to 3 blue balloons.

Say your against a heavy zoner like belmonts then you switch to 3 yellow balloons.

Maybe you want to play a trap game switch to 2 green and 1 rainbow.

Or you want to play all around you go 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue.

Etc.

Thought it would be a neat concept for him, or any DKR character really.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, not wanting to sound like a partypooper, but I highly disagree with you.

While I won't deny that Grabbed by the Ghoulies looks really fun and appealing (I only watch a bit of it on Youtube), and should get some kind of recognition, It is certainly not on the same level as Conker, when it comes to deserving and realistic options for Rare characters in Smash Brothers.
Oh I agree that he shouldn't be really held as a plausible newcomer above Conker or Joanna, I was stating in general that Grabbed by the Ghoulies should be given more respect from the masses, although I wouldn't be opposed to Ghoulies stuff in Smash!
Sorry for the vague post beforehand. I should've worded myself differently!

TheBeastHimself

Oh I agree that he shouldn't be really held as a plausible newcomer above Conker or Joanna, I was stating in general that Grabbed by the Ghoulies should be given more respect from the masses, although I wouldn't be opposed to Ghoulies stuff in Smash!
Sorry for the vague post beforehand. I should've worded myself differently!
I'd like to see some Grabbed by the Ghoulies representation in Smash. It's a Rare IP I never hear much about, and I've never heard anything bad about it, so I'd love to learn more about it!

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Nice thread.

Banjo & Kazooie were amongst my most wanted for a very long time now, so I'm happy they finally made it. So I voted for the protagonist of one of my favorite N64 games, and that's saying a lot : Joanna Dark. I know this game is generally seen as inferior to its predecessor, Golden Eye, for reasons I don't really get, but she is a true video game character, in a world of her own, and she's got style. Conker is probably more popular and as important, if not more important that she is : but I never got the chance to play Conker 64, so I have no connexion to him. Other characters such as Dixie or Krystal deserve a mention too, but they are not the main protagonist of their respective, already represented serie. I would also love to see Juno, Vela and Lupus in some form, be it assist trophies or playable, but they're not really a priority.

Top Bottom