• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Random Hero of Beast 6: Jibbmil

At many tournaments, there are moments that get people talking. The kind of matches that bring fans out of their chairs and make them laugh and smile. Some players quickly win over the hearts of viewers and make a name for themselves in one event alone through fantastic moments. Two such moments happened at Beast 6. One was the incredible triumph of iStudying, who took 2nd place after overcoming MVD and ESAM. The other happened quite literally at random as one player stepped up to the stream with an unusual character choice in mind.

Seventeen year old Emil "Jibbmil" Johnsen traveled from his home country in Norway to Gothenburg, Sweden to compete at Beast 6 last weekend and never expected to be in the spotlight for choosing Random in a tournament setting. "I told my friends that I was going to go full Sheik and try hard at Beast," he told us. "But I couldn't keep it together."

He finally broke when, after beating a Link player, he was given the opportunity to go on stream to fight Flamjam. The pressure was already on as he had nearly lost against a team with Flamjam earlier that day in doubles. "Going up to the stream chairs was more chill than expected," he confessed. "It was all good. I was around my friends, there was laughter, smiles." This was where he told himself, in his own words, "**** it, I'm going random."

The excitement was real and Jibbmil got lucky with a character he knew for his first match, but when he pulled Zero Suit Samus for match two, he ran into one of the bigger problems of going random: getting a character you can't use. "That match is the whole reason I don't main Zero Suit Samus, because I always SD." Then the final match came and the nerves set in: "I was a bit nervous the last game. I really wanted to win so I was praying to the Smash Gods that I didn't get a character like King Dedede or Pac-Man."

The Shieldbreak Of Destiny

Fortunately for him, he pulled Ness, a character he knew. He not only won the match but pulled off a stunning shield break that got the crowd going. While it was tough to lose on stream, Flamjam couldn't help but be impressed herself. "This man is unstoppable," she said in a post detailing the match on Reddit.

Unfortunately, he eventually would end up being taken down by MVD with the most memorable match giving him Ganondorf as MVD agreed to play on Gamer. He still found his day to be a success. "I mean I played on stream and became a hero for one day and I played against MVD as Ganondorf on Gamer," he told us. "Placing isn't that important."

With this match under his belt and having won the hearts of the crowd, he has decided to go Random full time in all future events. "I'm actually a decent player, but playing random is way more fun," he said. He also plans to take up a serious training regimen for random practice even though going Random was not that unusual for him. "I go random in nine out of ten friendlies. To get good, I'll have to play janky friendlies at least three times a week. I mean all the jank, random on Pac-Land kind of jank."

He also thinks a Random main could actually be successful. "I believe that if you truly went random at tournaments for two years in a row or maybe one you could do decently in tournaments," he told us. He cannot resist the allure of going random. "The downside is you can get a terrible character, but that's also the funnest thing about it. It's risky and fun."

---​

For those who want to see more of this newfound Random main, Jibbmil is often seen at events taking place in Sweden and Norway and occasionally on the Smash Norge stream. To keep up with Jibbmil, be sure to follow him on Twitter and check out his Youtube channel. His final word to his new fans: "No one can counterpick Random, so why not? Go random, have fun, and pray to get a Ness shieldbreak."

Comments

As I know it will be asked, let me take this moment to say we are trying to interview iStudying as well: he just hasn't responded yet. Hopefully he's next!

So where should we put Random on the tier list? He seems pretty unexplored and has a lot of potential if you ask me.

I was there went it happened I think. I saw a Ness shield break and watched the crowd go ham. It was hilarious. xD
It must've been this, but holy damn you went RANDOM? Lol. Great stuff! And yeah iStudying did great, almost died of frog hype.

I was there went it happened I think. I saw a Ness shield break and watched the crowd go ham. It was hilarious. xD
It must've been this, but holy damn you went RANDOM? Lol. Great stuff! And yeah iStudying did great, almost died of frog hype.
Random is underrated man

Honestly we should probably ban Random. Someone else can do the math for me, but you have access to every character's moveset in the game. That's completely unfair to your opponent. How are they supposed to prepare for it if they don't know the MU?

I guess with random, they can never counterpick you, they can never be prepared for your char, they won't be able to adapt to things you do with x character because you'll be a different character next game.
Also means you have to learn everyone to some level.

Maining random is probably one of the best thing about this game and the reward of high-risk, especially if you want to specialize in the game itself. I thought I could main random because I enjoy almost every character in Smash 4, but that's not the case since there are some characters that I don't like. I don't mind playing some of them, but others are just bad for me.

Honestly we should probably ban Random. Someone else can do the math for me, but you have access to every character's moveset in the game. That's completely unfair to your opponent. How are they supposed to prepare for it if they don't know the MU?
The same could be said for the player picking random - but instead of learning MUs, the random user has to learn characters. It's not an unfair advantage by any stretch of the imagination.

Sm4sh beast6 had some of the worst commentay i ever heard for sm4sh. Drop it like it is hot. Random hero was great, Westballs was great, Istudying's greninja play was great.

As someone who has regularly played up 6-7 characters in tournaments in every Smash game since Melee, it does have its advantages:

-You're hard to counterpick against.
-There are fewer matchups that you don't know how to counterpick against.
-If you deliberately go with more obscure characters, match up ignorance will significantly help you.
-It helps you with your fundamentals across the entire cast.
-Very useful at local tournaments.
-Very useful for teaching and coaching newcomers.

There are downsides though:

-At the end of the day, you're still your best with maybe 2-3 characters.
-You're more likely to run into match ups you're completely ignorant about and there's significantly more match ups to keep track of.
- Sometimes playstyles with one character may bleed into another which can weigh you down.
-Your depth of knowledge of one character is naturally going to be less than someone who almost exclusively uses them.
-Mileage at major tournaments typically isn't that great and players who go this route rarely rank. Off the top of my head, the only real successful "chameleon" for this game so far has been Nairo.

In the end, if you want to be the next Zero, I wouldn't recommend it but if you want to be the guy who flips locals and could probably get anyone interested in the game whether by having having a good Youtube channel or coaching people on the basics, it's worth exploring.

As someone who has regularly played up 6-7 characters in tournaments in every Smash game since Melee, it does have its advantages:

-You're hard to counterpick against.
-There are fewer matchups that you don't know how to counterpick against.
-If you deliberately go with more obscure characters, match up ignorance will significantly help you.
-It helps you with your fundamentals across the entire cast.
-Very useful at local tournaments.
-Very useful for teaching and coaching newcomers.

There are downsides though:

-At the end of the day, you're still your best with maybe 2-3 characters.
-You're more likely to run into match ups you're completely ignorant about and there's significantly more match ups to keep track of.
- Sometimes playstyles with one character may bleed into another which can weigh you down.
-Your depth of knowledge of one character is naturally going to be less than someone who almost exclusively uses them.
-Mileage at major tournaments typically isn't that great and players who go this route rarely rank. Off the top of my head, the only real successful "chameleon" for this game so far has been Nairo.

In the end, if you want to be the next Zero, I wouldn't recommend it but if you want to be the guy who flips locals and could probably get anyone interested in the game whether by having having a good Youtube channel or coaching people on the basics, it's worth exploring.
Dont forget. its extremely hype

Oh my god they played on Gamer? Hahaha! That is too good! There has been a crew at my locals called the Doctor crew that has been trying to legalize Gamer as a counterpick for a while now, and have gotten multiple people to play tournament matches on it using the gentlemen's agreement. I have done it twice, and while I don't think that it will ever become legal, it is fun as heck to play on, and while the platforms are randomized each game, the stage hazards are all telegraphed quite well, and nothing beats hitting your opponent into the mom's sight! (A technique that the Doctor crew calls a mombo combo)
#legalizegamer

Last edited:
Well there's also a risk involved with the player who picked random. The one who picked random may not even get a character they even know how to use. There's a risk involved with it

And to think Twitch chat was bashing him for disrespect.

He did what was right. He did what was just.

It was perfect.

Top Bottom