• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rad Scientist- ARMS Antagonist Dr. Coyle Support

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We got a very strange official confirmation where the series was confirmed but not the character, leaving the door open to many potential fighters, especially considering the designated MC is an Assist Trophy. They have a change to really mix things up and include the final boss-

DR. COYLE REACHES FOR VICTORY!
435px-DrCoyle.png

INFO
The head of the ARMS Institute, Dr Coyle is the premier researcher on all things ARMS, making her own set of artificial ARMS, creating Helix and Springtron to further research the power of ARMS and even created the manic fighting machine/evil hat Headlok! She views all others as mere tools in her pursuit to fully harness the power of punching things form across the room. She makes her move in the hardest two levels of the arcade mode, punching out ARMS champion Max Brass and combining with Headlok to prove her technology superior.

UNIQUE POWERS
Even in the crazy world of ARMS Dr. Coyle is a standout fighter with several unique mechanics.
First she is constantly floating, with her jump merely causing her to float higher. This means she can shield and sidestep in midair.
Second when she charges her attacks she gains a third arm on one of her shoulders which gives her a free attack
Third, when she's knocked down, she turns invisible, disguising her getup option.
Even her default set of Arms are unique with her LokJaw ARMS letting her fire explosive spheres, her Parabolas which move at different speed depending on how close the foe is and her Brrchucks which have a really goofy name.
SUPPORTERS
  1. Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6
  2. KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465
  3. Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku
  4. Dark Bagel Dark Bagel
  5. Pizza Robo Pizza Robo
  6. SwitchButton SwitchButton
  7. M00NFIRE94 M00NFIRE94
  8. The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn
  9. OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos
  10. Hollywoodrok12 Hollywoodrok12
  11. LoZ00 LoZ00
  12. meleebrawler meleebrawler
  13. Proceleon Proceleon
  14. Flyboy Flyboy
  15. Hinata Hinata
  16. Jocario Zero Jocario Zero
  17. 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8
  18. OnyanRings OnyanRings
  19. D dimensionsword64
  20. snowgolem snowgolem
  21. I IronWarrior94
  22. Dr. Jojo Phantasma Dr. Jojo Phantasma
  23. Laniv Laniv
  24. zumaddy zumaddy
  25. Miifighters4Smash5 Miifighters4Smash5
  26. MarioDDR755 MarioDDR755
  27. lady_sky skipper lady_sky skipper
  28. Dr. Richie Dr. Richie

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Got the OP fully ready.

I may regret running three active threads at once but hey, I've not got anything else going thanks to the plague.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I feel like I need to pitch in and support the other ARMS threads here

sign me up

Last edited:

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I support Dr.Coyle for Super Smash Bros Ultimate plus Hedlok can be her Final Smash
Sign Me Up :D

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
An insane metal-punk scientist that floats. Jesus imagine how amazingly animated she would be. She would have so much personality. I kinda want her for that alone.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
I've been thinking that she might be a likely pick if the ARMS fighter isn't any of the ones already included as Spirits, though I wonder how they'll handle the way she jumps?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I may not really like playing as Dr. Coyle in ARMS, but she's still my favorite character from personality and backstory alone. She's really helped make the world feel that much more intriguing to me.

And while I probably won't play her in Smash either if she's too gimmicky, I still think it'd be fitting to have her join Smash in her quest to be the strongest fighter, so sure, sign me up :p

Now is there a Max Brass thread?

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Hell yeah, count me in as part of the Coyle Collective. Smash could really use a badass female villain and her character-specific gimmicks seem like they'd be a ton of fun to mess around with in Smash

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Dr. Coyle is one of my favorite ARMS characters thanks to her "Villain driven insane by passion" personality and her connections to the Lore of ARMS (I'd argue she is the lore) and she would be a ton of fun with a possible levitation mechanic, too.

If she (or Spring Man) got in, I'd play the entirety of World of Light New Game+ 100% with Dr. Coyle only. That's how happy that would make me. Add me to the support list please!

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Please, count me in! I’ve always wanted an ARMS rep in Ultimate and Dr. Coyle is my favorite!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I long for the day she can float creepily and laugh maniacally with Dark Samus. This is the ARMS rep I want most, if only because of the potential riotous scenarios fans can come up with where being in Smash frequently causes her to be totally out of her depth due to her laser focus on ARMS dominance and research.

Though in much the same way King K. Rool is shown to be oddly nice in Smash when not focusing on his obsession of destroying the Kongs, in my mind Coyle is similar in that she can (try to) be personable and reasonable when she isn't ranting about Max or ARMS. It shows in the game where no one serously condemns her for her actions, partly due to Max Brass being lax about regulations (he's crazy like that. Being undefeated for so long will do that to you I guess), partly because her contributions to the sport are just too significant and fun to waste, and maybe because everyone understands she doesn't really have any nefarious motives beyond her grudge towards Max, and the worst she really does to them is just being rude.

Finally, a random bit I somehow only noticed today, her ending picture shows her having a set of electric guitars. Wouldn't playing one make for a good, random third victory animation?

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Coyle's the one character I'm putting my money on getting in. It was between her and Max Brass.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Finally, a random bit I somehow only noticed today, her ending picture shows her having a set of electric guitars. Wouldn't playing one make for a good, random third victory animation?
I feel that those are mores a reference to the Hedlok and the Mad Doctor's rock motif in their themes.

I long for the day she can float creepily and laugh maniacally with Dark Samus. This is the ARMS rep I want most, if only because of the potential riotous scenarios fans can come up with where being in Smash frequently causes her to be totally out of her depth due to her laser focus on ARMS dominance and research.

Though in much the same way King K. Rool is shown to be oddly nice in Smash when not focusing on his obsession of destroying the Kongs, in my mind Coyle is similar in that she can (try to) be personable and reasonable when she isn't ranting about Max or ARMS.
That's an interesting interpretation. I, personally, viewed a theoretical Dr. Coyle timeline as one where she's always as obsessed as ever, since I feel she would view Smash as an opportunity to test her ARMS against professional combatants without the ARMS ability (ANYONE that isn't also from ARMS), and possibly even actively seeking such an opportunity out. As such, for my interpretation, she probably would act just as insane and rude towards the other fighters, possibly being one of few fighters to not even clap on the results screen during a loss. Essentially, it's the next stage in her "evil" plan to prove the power of ARMS, and her own ARMS, especially. I could see her being nice when she's not thinking about ARMS, but the only way I could see her not thinking about ARMS is if her memory were to be erased in some capacity.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I feel that those are mores a reference to the Hedlok and the Mad Doctor's rock motif in their themes.

That's an interesting interpretation. I, personally, viewed a theoretical Dr. Coyle timeline as one where she's always as obsessed as ever, since I feel she would view Smash as an opportunity to test her ARMS against professional combatants without the ARMS ability (ANYONE that isn't also from ARMS), and possibly even actively seeking such an opportunity out. As such, for my interpretation, she probably would act just as insane and rude towards the other fighters, possibly being one of few fighters to not even clap on the results screen during a loss. Essentially, it's the next stage in her "evil" plan to prove the power of ARMS, and her own ARMS, especially. I could see her being nice when she's not thinking about ARMS, but the only way I could see her not thinking about ARMS is if her memory were to be erased in some capacity.
Uh, the "power of ARMS" isn't something that really needs proving in their universe, and Coyle's goal is to specifically be the best at the sport of ARMS. Nothing more, especially just to show up Max Brass.

The way you describe her plans make it sound like she's planning to escalate to world domination (is that not the logical conclusion of "proving the power of ARMS"?), which is frankly a ridiculous notion when outside of extendable arms, the fighters are no tougher than any fit human. And considering there are arms based off of stuff like grenades and tasers (check out the Seekie description), it's safe to say a standard military is still a part of the universe. Including stuff like guns to easily kill any would-be mad conqueror.

And at the end of the day, any experience she may get fighting in Smash simply won't apply to her goal, because such fighters wouldn't be allowed to compete in ARMS tournaments. All Coyle can really accomplish is stroke her ego at most. Look at the Inklings. In Splatoon they tend to throw big tantrums or cry when they lose at Turf War, because that game is huge in their culture and no one wants to be seen as a loser in that. But in Smash they applaud cheerfully, because it just doesn't have the same cultural impact. They treat it as a fun pastime instead of a way of life. The same can be said for Coyle, with any frustration being blunted on the grounds that Smash isn't a real ARMS fight anyway. At worst, I still see her applauding, but with a frown just because she is very hard on herself, like Ryu.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. She's been my most-wanted ARMS rep since the moment she got revealed. I love cool mad scientist villains and she's one of the coolest. Put me on the list!

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
What if Dr. Coyle had unique victory quotes against every fighter just like in ARMS? Imagine what some of them would be tho

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Put me down on that support list, my good man. Dr. Coyle would be sick, and if Spirits are truly out of the running like so many theorize, she makes the most sense to me as the choice.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
May sound a little like they're talking through an old-timey radio but I should share this

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
She’s become my most wanted if spirits and assist trophies for some reason keep my other most wanted ARMS character out. Lol

Dr. Coyle was cool and I recently went back to ARMS for a few minutes and played as her first. I like her gimmicks. Although I don’t know how the invisibility will be kept for Smash Bros if Coyle is added.

But, at least the two gimmicks will be unique for Smash and fit what Sakurai said the ARMS character would be like if he wasn’t just talking about somehow finding a way of implementing the moving attacks as they’re out mechanic.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I like her gimmicks. Although I don’t know how the invisibility will be kept for Smash Bros if Coyle is added.
I think her invisibility would be made a counter move where if you time right as the opponent attacks, she'll disappear, reappear from behind and punch them like she did to Max Brass in her boss intro.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think her invisibility would be made a counter move where if you time right as the opponent attacks, she'll disappear, reappear from behind and punch them like she did to Max Brass in her boss intro.
Alternatively, it could be a teleporting up B with a punching attack.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Woah when did Dr. Coyle become Orange? and male? and without ARMS? and more like Crash Bandicoot than Neo Cortex?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I was thinking, for her Moveset, maybe give Coyle access to ARMS used by Helix and Springtron? Reference how she created them. For some of her normals, aerials, and smashes.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I was thinking, for her Moveset, maybe give Coyle access to ARMS used by Helix and Springtron? Reference how she created them. For some of her normals, aerials, and smashes.
I don't think it's needed.

Heck, the Lokjaws alone are more than versatile enough for a whole moveset because they could serve as punches, projectiles and even biting attacks.

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
A villain joining before the main protagonist(s)... Would be a first but i really dig the idea.

Also just imagining her theme being in the reveal...

I support Dr. Coca Coyla

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
She is the head of ARMS Laboratories. They create all the tech used related to that. That means Coyle created or at least had a hand in making every single arm in the game. Also, Springtron's arms are the same as Spring Man's.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
She is the head of ARMS Laboratories. They create all the tech used related to that. That means Coyle created or at least had a hand in making every single arm in the game. Also, Springtron's arms are the same as Spring Man's.
I’m aware of both. Lol

I just wanted a way to reference those specific characters in some way beyond potentially being in a final smash cutscene and inevitably spirits.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Coyle really could use multiple characters' Arms. Since I think the whole Hero/Bowser Jr. theory is completely impossible, the next best thing is to have a character that uses Arms from other characters and doesn't feel out of place doing so.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Been getting the Dr. Coyle ARMS reveal trailer recommended to me on Youtube a bunch. I wonder if it's a sign. The algorithm knows what it's doing :D

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Been getting the Dr. Coyle ARMS reveal trailer recommended to me on Youtube a bunch. I wonder if it's a sign. The algorithm knows what it's doing :D
Might be a sign but then again, there was that Google Algorithm that recommended a Dark Souls character when looking for the Smash pass.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I haven't actually played the full version of Arms, so I can't speak gameplay wise, but as a character, Dr. Coyle is by far my favorite. She's got such a great design, and a super fun personality. I'll be really happy if she's the Arms rep.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
If the new fighter isn't Dr. Coyle, what do you guys think the chances are of getting her in a future Smash game? I imagine that as long as she remains the primary antagonist, they'll want to include her eventually.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If the new fighter isn't Dr. Coyle, what do you guys think the chances are of getting her in a future Smash game? I imagine that as long as she remains the primary antagonist, they'll want to include her eventually.
With how mechanically unique she is from the rest of the cast, I could see her being guaranteed as a hypotethical second ARMS if she's not the first one, regardless of her role in the franchise's future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom