• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Puffles will have fun playing around in Smash!

smash puffle

Smash Ace

Introduction

Puffles are small, cute furry pets featured on the online Flash game Club Penguin released in 2005. Players could adopt them in later in 2006 in originally in 5 colors: Blue, Green, Pink, Purple and Black. Up to 2011, they were ten different colors available (see image above), which are often referenced as the original puffles before they expanded upon it in 2013. They later featured rainbow puffles, gold puffles, puffles based after cats, dogs, birds, dinosaurs, dragons, forest animals, ghosts, aliens, and other mythical creatures... it got a bit hectic.
Each color or type of puffle had different personalities, and special abilities unique to each that made them distinct from each other. They could summon toys unique to each and even sometimes play with the player on some of the minigames. They had also 2 minigames dedicated to them, called Puffle Launch and Pufflescape.
The player could take care of them, wash them, play with them and feed them.
They were extremely popular back when the game was active, and they're loved by fans everywhere.

Club Penguin... In Super Smash Bros?

Yeah. Club Penguin has had a rather unfortunate history in the whole gaming landscape as of late.
Starting out as a rather fun and arguably revolutionary game for Flash games on the Web, on it's last few years it was mistreated, and often mocked online for being too childish and more often than not, it's pay-to-play principle that was implemented after the franchise got into the hands of Disney... But that is a discussion for another day.
So yeah... after the game got shut down in 2017 and was replaced with Club Penguin Island on the same year, the future doesn't look too bright. So I'm not expecting ANY Club Penguin characters to even get a mention in the new Smash Bros. thats coming out this year. Let's not also mention Club Penguin's lack of familiarity in Japan.
Let's not forget to mention that the series is owned by Disney. That could be a huge barrier for a CP character to be included in Smash. But, just like Sora from Kingdom Hearts, CP is not in the same level as Mickey Mouse in terms of popularity. After all, if Sega could put Wreck-it Ralph in their racing game, why not a CP character, heck, why not Sora as well? It wouldn't be necessarily expensive either.
Unless some miracle from God himself happens where Nintendo themselves buy a significant part of the whole Club Penguin IP and starts publishing games for the series, I'm not holding my breath.
This is more of a dream character for me honestly, so let's make another big "what if" here, shall we?

What's Club Penguin's history with Nintendo?

The Club Penguin series had 3 games released exclusively on Nintendo platforms. They've never been officially rereleased either on Nintendo's Virtual Console on Wii U or PC.
2 Nintendo DS games: Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force (2008) and Club Penguin: EPF: Herbert's Revenge (2010) were released. They're point and click games similar to the Flash game's PSA Missions.
A Wii game: Club Penguin: Game Day! (2010) was released. It was a 4-player based party game.
All of these games could connect to the Internet to unlock special items into your Club Penguin account, back when the game and the Nintendo Wi-fi Connection were active.
Unlike the Sensei, the puffles had prominent roles in all these games, with the DS games, the "Elite Puffles" were a crucial part of the game in order to progress and solve puzzles.
As you can see, Club Penguin had a notable presence on Nintendo platforms, the first DS game sold about 3 million copies while the other games didn't sell as much, but still a respectable amount.
If a Club Penguin character could have a chance in Smash, it would fit in just fine because of it's silly and quirky nature, regardless of who it was. The series fits in with the other wacky series from the big N, if I'm being honest.

Why puffles out of all the Club Penguin characters?

Club Penguin has a wide cast of characters. Like 5 of them would make unique fighters to represent the series in Smash Bros. The Sensei, being the most fitting for a fight. As a series representative, maybe other mascots might represent the series better, like Rockhopper, but I don't see him as a fighter and more of an Assist Trophy.
The second closest choice for me though, are the puffles. The main problem is that the puffles wouldn't really represent a series about penguins without them being... well, penguins.
HOWEVER, I might have a possible solution to this puzzle. PH!

"Crickey, did someone just called my name???"

This is the Puffle Handler, otherwise known as PH. She is a famous penguin that's an expert on puffles (as you can tell by her actual name), and has handled various parties involving puffles back when the game was active.
She first debuted as a pink penguin on Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force released on the Nintendo DS in 2008.
So, she tecnically first appeared on a Nintendo platform! That's pretty interesting.
Now you're wondering, why I'm presenting her to you? Well, she might be the person behind the puffles fighting in Smash Bros. She has trained puffles for the Elite Penguin Force for EPF Agents, so why not training puffles to fight in the crazy world of Super Smash Bros?
Just like how Pokémon Trainer did it in Brawl with his 3 Pokémon, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard, or how Little Mac has his coach Doc Louis in the background in Smash 4, the Puffle Handler could give orders to the puffles either in the background, or behind the stage like Pokémon Trainer.
It could solve the problem of puffles not being able to represent the series.

How would they play in Smash?

Puffles aren't really fighters. So, just like Villager before them, they could be fighting by accident.
Rather, they would be "playing" with the opponent. How? With their toys of course! Puffles like to play with their toys, so their moveset would rely on them, making them rather unique characters compare to the others.
A couple of their specials would be their own games, Puffle Launch and Pufflescape. Their down special would be them digging on the ground to find treasure. Size wouldn't be a problem considering Olimar being tiny in his games.
Now here's where they get REALLY unique. As I mentioned earlier, puffles have unique personalities and abilities depending of their color. So their mechanic would be that their neutral special would be different depending on what puffle color the player chooses on the Character Select Screen. It is a very out there idea, but I think Mr. Sakurai would find it very interesting. Though if it would be too complicated and time consuming to program, then it would be fine either way. I would personally focus on the original 10 colors of puffle, from Blue to Brown.
I mean, as I said before, it gets way to complicated from the Rainbow and Gold Puffles onward, so I'm keeping it simple for the sake of me and the people reading. It's also less time consuming.
Their Final Smash would be a Puffle Stampede. The puffle uses a Puffle Whistle from the DS games, and call as many puffles as possible causing an stampede featuring every kind of puffle imaginable.

How can I support them?

You can tell you want to support them of course. That's enough for me. If you really want to though, you can come up with a moveset for them. Also stages, music, etc. Support icons and other misc stuff are welcome too.
Feel free to support them if you want to. As well you're also free to not support them, I will understand.
I really like puffles (as you can tell by my username), so it would really mean a lot to me if you showed your support!
As well I would also appreciate if you were nice... just saying.

Support Icon:
no icons yet :(

Series Symbol:

Stock Icons:

Made in the style of Ultimate.

Supporter List:
Supporters so far:
smash puffle (me)
SEGAGameBoy

Thank you for reading and have a nice day! :)

Last edited:

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
I like the idea, I never played Club Penguin, but the idea of including a character from a virtual game to Super Smash Bros would love me, even if it sounded crazy.

But if we had to represent a virtual game, I think the most appropriate would Habbo Hotel, was one of the pioneers in virtual games and was very symbolic on the internet, maybe never had any games on Nintendo, but if there public rooms advertising Nintendo, like the Nintendo 3DS console.

I know this is a topic dedicated to Club Penguin and not Habbo Hotel, but I wanted to talk about it because it would also be quite interesting, although as seen in the previous messages, Club Penguin as Habbo Hotel would have a very but very null opportunity in appear.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I've never played Club Penguin, I was a bit too old for the demographic, but I like the amount of effort you've put in to your opening post. I get the feeling you're a genuine Puffle supporter, so I'm not going to come in and rag on this idea.

It's a little different, a little unique, but it's no less ridiculous than some of our other third party suggestions; Club Penguin WAS a massive cultural hit after all.

Downside is, just like with Sora, it's owned by Disney who are notoriously finnicky about their IPs. They also generally dislike violence against their characters which is why I can't see the cute and friendly Puffles being allowed to trade blows with Ganondorf for example.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've heard of Club Penguin, but I never played it before. But, thanks to you, I might actually look into it! That is if the services for the website are still up. Also, add me to the support list please.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I've heard of Club Penguin, but I never played it before. But, thanks to you, I might actually look into it! That is if the services for the website are still up. Also, add me to the support list please.
Glad I peeked your interest. The thing is that Club Penguin officially shut down last year, but you can try out Club Penguin Island... if you want to.

In my opinion though, Club Penguin is way more iconic than Habbo Hotel, I mean it stands out more for being way more unique, and feels more like a Nintendo IP if they actually owned it.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
So there's leaks/rumors floating around where Sora could be in the base roster or as part of DLC. If this is true, and if Sakurai somehow managed to work his magic to convince Disney to put him in, there's a slightly larger chance that Club Penguin could also get representation in Smash either as a character, and/or AT/stage/trophy/misc stuff. Either because of Disney demanding it as conpensation for Sora and to promote Club Penguin Island/a port of it to the Switch, or (the least likely) because Sakurai felt like it and saw the potential of CP for Smash. Either of these is not likely, but either way, it gives me a very small amount of hope that we could see that happen.

Also, I updated the OP to include the Ultimate styled stock icons.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
About a month or so ago, the Club Penguin Rewritten team released the Gray Puffle.

Design wise, its pretty faithful to something the original game would've done.
The lore and abilities are pretty cool too. If I had room for one more skin besides the other 10, I would choose this one. In terms of a neutral special, turning into stone and reverting back with a small explosion could work. If only it was an official thing.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Hoo boy, this brought back some good memories. Would be awesome to see in Smash.
Also, I don't know why I haven't voiced my support here yet. So yeah, I want Club Penguin/Puffles in Smash!

Last edited:
Top Bottom