• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Psychic Psurfer - Alolan Raichu for Smash Ultimate!

ottobot

Smash Cadet
With Pichu returning for Smash Ultimate for the first time since Melee, we now have 2 out of the 3 Pikachu-line Pokemon in the game. Why not complete the trio by bringing in Raichu. But not just any ol' Raichu, no, I'm talking the lighting-surfing, magical beach bro that is Alolan Forme Raichu!

He's Cute, He's Round, and he'd make a great Smash fighter. Now, i know some of you are probably thinking, "ugh, we already have a lot of pikachu, lets get some new pokemon in." But Alolan Raichu could add a lot to Smash, and he's not actually as unreasonable as you think. Lets start with likelyness. He adds gen 7 representation, something people have been predicting and clamoring for with characters like Decidueye and Lycanrock. However, he also plays into the Pikachu favoritism that's been around for years, as well as Gamefreak's recent emphasis on generation 1 Pokemon (see the let's go! series and the inclusion of Alolan Formes in general). With the return of Pichu (albeit mostly just for the sake of the "Everyone Is Here" selling point) we see a return of Pikachu favoritism in Smash as well. Meanwhile, he still fills the trend of each smash game having a rep from the most recent pokemon series.

Now lets talk about what he actually adds to the game in terms of movesets and originality. Unlike normal Raichu, who would likely just be an echo fighter, he could fill the role of Pikachu line without actually being a pure Pikachu clone. His psychic powers add a lot to his moveset potential, as he'd be able to incorporate Psychic and Light screen into his Specials. I could even see him with Ness, Lucas, or Zelda-style magical disjoints to distinguish even his A-button moves. He also uses his tail completely differently from Pikachu, as he surfs on it. This would force him to change any of Pikachu's tail related moves, further destinguishing him. It could also add new movement mechanics that could act as Alolan Raichu's "gimmick" of sorts. This could even go as far as a new "Surge Surfer" Up-B, and possibly make him get rid of Skull Bash as well, as it would look weird for him to charge it the way Pikachu does if he's always hovering on his tail. I could see him having most if not all of his Specials changed away from Pikachu's, as well as multiple different A-moves, a faster speed, floatier aireal mechanics, and possibly a higher weight. At that point, he's basically a fully original character.

Additional bits:
•He's really cute have i mentioned that he's cute?
•Between the default colors, shiny colors, normal Raichu-based colors, and normal Raichu shiny colors, he's got 4/8 skins down with no problem. He probably doesn't need to continue the Hat skin gimmick we've seen with the other 'chus and puff.
•His very very short paws and very long tail make even a clone'd Alolan Raichu more different from Pikachu than a normal Raichu would be.
•I wouldn't mind another gen 7 Pokemon getting in though, especially if both A-Raichu (Aichu?) and Decidueye got in.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He's already been deconfirmed, as a Pokeball Pokemon

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I'm kinda bummed out he's deconfirmed. But, no matter what, I will still show my support!

Top Bottom