• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Probably St.Mystere or London (Perhaps Gressenheller University) would be nice and recognizable locales.

Other interesting places like the Azran sanctuary, Airship Bostonius or Monte Dor would also be neat locale's.

I'm probably a bit more interested in the potential songs they could bring in and potentially remix (Other than the main theme of course)

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Probably St.Mystere or London (Perhaps Gressenheller University) would be nice and recognizable locales.

Other interesting places like the Azran sanctuary, Airship Bostonius or Monte Dor would also be neat locale's.

I'm probably a bit more interested in the potential songs they could bring in and potentially remix (Other than the main theme of course)
Hadn't thought of the Airship. Do you think it should be a travelling stage?

Personally I'd like to see a London map which also goes to future London.

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
BTW, make sure to vote in the Rate their Chance thread everyone, that way we can get Layton rated as quickly as possible.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

id think gressenheler university is a verys suitable choice

and the music wed get would be good cause layton music i already good

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Try not to double post So_many_mails So_many_mails you might get in trouble for that.

I'd imagine the Bostonius would work somewhat like Corneria or Venom from Melee . With perhaps Targent or the Azran coming in to attack from time to time.

Last edited:

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
A Warioware style puzzle stage would be incredible, but as you said, probably very unlikely.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I guess a Wario Ware like stage with the puzzles could work too. Though I'm not sure how they'd make it work in a Smash sense since they'd probably add a timer, which would probably make it feel more like a Wario Ware stage rather than a Layton stage...

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I believe it would be best to try and encompass the atmosphere from the franchise in a stage rather than the puzzle gimmick. St. Mystere or Gressenheller would be great options as they're recognizable, and in Gressenheller's case, a reoccurring location in the series. Puzzles would be better suited as a part of the Professor's moveset. I can imagine, in a London themed stage, some members of the Scotland Yard appearing as a case unfolds in the battlefield. Perhaps Descole is making his getaway as Chelmey or Grosky chase after him.

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
I believe it would be best to try and encompass the atmosphere from the franchise in a stage rather than the puzzle gimmick. St. Mystere or Gressenheller would be great options as they're recognizable, and in Gressenheller's case, a reoccurring location in the series. Puzzles would be better suited as a part of the Professor's moveset. I can imagine, in a London themed stage, some members of the Scotland Yard appearing as a case unfolds in the battlefield. Perhaps Descole is making his getaway as Chelmey or Grosky chase after him.
Ah man, you've convinced me with the Chelmey and Grosky appearances

Maybe Luke and Emmy/Flora driving past or stopping nearby in the Laytonmobile? I feel like Luke needs to be in there somewhere but I'm not sure how.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well its make more sense for it to be grosky chasing descole

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think the whole "Cop chasing the main villain" shtick would probably suit Chelmey and Don Paolo a bit better since they kind of had that running gag in the second game but eitherway.

It would be nice to see some familiar characters hanging around in the background, yes.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think the whole "Cop chasing the main villain" shtick would probably suit Chelmey and Don Paolo a bit better since they kind of had that running gag in the second game but eitherway.

It would be nice to see some familiar characters hanging around in the background, yes.
are you sure it was a running gag paolo didnt turn up til the end

i dont see why we cant have background characters in a layton stage plenty of other ones do

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
aren't those two are your favorites? are you sure it was a running gag paolo didnt turn up til the end

i dont see why we cant have background characters in a layton stage plenty of other ones do
My memory is a little foggy but I think they had Chelmey chase down Don Paolo a couple more times after that, maybe it was in the manga...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
how are the manga?
Professor Layton and the cheerful mystery series is a more comedic slice of life-ish take compared to the generally more serious storylines of the games. Its a pretty fun read if you like though. I believe someone posted the English fan translation over at Tumblr.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Professor Layton and the cheerful mystery series is a more comedic slice of life-ish take compared to the generally more serious storylines of the games. Its a pretty fun read if you like though. I believe someone posted the English fan translation over at Tumblr.
seeing the layton cast in more humorous circumstances sounds like fun i think ill keep an eye out for it

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Ah man, you've convinced me with the Chelmey and Grosky appearances

Maybe Luke and Emmy/Flora driving past or stopping nearby in the Laytonmobile? I feel like Luke needs to be in there somewhere but I'm not sure how.
It probably won't happen, but when I was thinking of potential Professor Layton moves during Smash 4 speculation, I was thinking about the beginning of the Diabolical Box, where Luke attacks Inspector Chelmey and pulls and tugs on his face. I chuckled to myself at the idea of Professor Layton having a side special where he chucks Luke at opponents, so that Luke may grapple and attack opponents like he did Chelmy, doing gradual damage for a few seconds upon successful landing of the move.

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
I've just realised that Nintendo has a whole section of their site for Layton.

http://professorlayton.nintendo.com/

I really feel that he hardly counts as third party at this point, and Level 5 really does need a rep...

EDIT: oops, double posted again, i'll try not to

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah Nintendo has a dedicated page for the Layton series on their website. At least I know Nintendo UK does.

That said, the series is still fully owned by Level-5 especially since they've been fully self publishing recently.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Professor Layton is one of those series that is so tied with Nintendo that people are stunned to learn he isn't a Nintendo character.

Like Mega Man back in the day and Layton's contemporaries Cooking Mama and Phoenix Wright.

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Professor Layton is one of those series that is so tied with Nintendo that people are stunned to learn he isn't a Nintendo character.

Like Mega Man back in the day and Layton's contemporaries Cooking Mama and Phoenix Wright.
Honestly I can see Cooking Mama getting in. It's so crazy it just might work.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Hi there, big Layton fan here :)
You can add me to the supporters list, even if I don't think we will see him.
I think this series is probably one of my favourites of all time with "unwound future" and "miracle mask" being my favourites.

Also, since I see you were talking about stages... I Always thought about St Mystere to be a perfect floating stage like Delfino Plaza with Don Paolo as a stage hazard.
But another more original idea is to have a fixed stage during a parade taking place at Montedore and to have the 5 miracles as hazards. Like the Sky Pillar stage from Brwl or the Unova one from 3DS, when the masked gentleman appears something happens. Some characters could be turned for some seconds into stones (or you can have a similar effect but with pitfalls or ice), or fire pillars could appear here and there (think about the Entei pokeball) or a horde of horses can pass by hitting everybody in their way, and so on...
Tell me what you think ^^

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
Alright, I've been off this thread for far too long, time for some updates.

- I don't think I'd add Katrielle as an alternate costume, purely because the sprites are too different to be a perfect swap.
- If we're adding any character from the series as an alternate costume for Layton, it's got to be Descole.
- In terms of stages, St. Mystere is a safe bet, though I've always been partial to the idea of the entire stage being the one sliding block puzzle with fall-through platforms that keep being moved around.
- If on the incredibly slim chance that both Layton AND Phoenix Wright get added, I'd chuck in Labyrinthia as a stage, too.
- If a Yokai gets in over Layton I will be legitimately upset. I want Professor Layton in Smash, not discount Pokemon (never played Yokai-Watch, don't get too upset)
- I'd love to see the Slot Machine Gun as a pick-up item, and also Hint Coins for slim health renewal.
- Luke Triton and Emmy Altava both appear from the same Assist Trophy and rush around the stage, with Emmy actually attacking and Luke doing his best, but still dealing damage.

Honestly, I'd be feeling a lot better about Layton's chances if there was a new game definitively announced in one of the last couple of Directs, but I'm still holding out hope.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honestly, I'd be feeling a lot better about Layton's chances if there was a new game definitively announced in one of the last couple of Directs, but I'm still holding out hope.
Eh I wouldn't worry too much about that, the roster has most likely been decided at least somewhere around 2016. So whatever new game Level-5 announces probably won't have much of an effect on Layton's chances. His best bet is if either Azran Legacy or LMJ came soon enough for him to be considered. And even then, it would probably require for Level-5 themselves to approach Sakurai for his inclusion.

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
Eh I wouldn't worry too much about that, the roster has most likely been decided at least somewhere around 2016. So whatever new game Level-5 announces probably won't have much of an effect on Layton's chances. His best bet is if either Azran Legacy or LMJ came soon enough for him to be considered. And even then, it would probably require for Level-5 themselves to approach Sakurai for his inclusion.
That's true, and don't get me wrong, I'm definitely really excited for the potential of him being included. All I know is that in my current predictions, I have 5 3rd party newcomers, and Layton seems to be the least likely of the bunch (Rayman, Crash, Bomberman, Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton, in that order). It doesn't mean I think he's got 0% chance, and some of you may remember back when the Roster Ballot was happening and I was campaigning incredibly hard for Layton. This time seems less likely than before, but I'm still going to campaign like my life depends on it.

Auroxen [sbvpXVII]

Smash Rookie
NNID
Simobros17
3DS FC
1118-0217-3683
I've been wishing for this since Smash 4 was in development
Please Sakurai, Level-5, or whoever I have to beg, please put him in Smash this time
(if it weren't clear I super support this)

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
- If a Yokai gets in over Layton I will be legitimately upset. I want Professor Layton in Smash, not discount Pokemon (never played Yokai-Watch, don't get too upset)
Nah, it's alright, I'm not upset. I testify that Yokai Watch isn't discount Pokémon, but to someone who hasn't played the games, it's not unreasonable to make that assessment, and indeed a few people who have played the games still make that assessment. In fact, it's definitely a series that is advertised as a Pocket Monster game, and given how Pokémon kind of became by far and away the biggest face of that genre, it's hard to differentiate yourself from Pokémon comparisons, if not dang near impossible.

Funnily enough, Yokai Watch as a series is different from Pokémon in that it might be more polarizing to some than Pokémon as a series. Most Pokémon are pretty universally easy to grasp and understand, in design and in world. And when Pokémon (as creatures) do get specifically cultural, the cultural references are spread widely across many different cultures, adding to its global mass appeal. There are Pokémon that range from Japanese specific references like Japanese Kitsune and Rhino Beetles, to Hispanic Mariachis, Jewish golems, Egyptian Gods and Sarcophagi, any probably many others I'm just not thinking of right now. Yokai Watch is very Japan centric, from its namesake (with all the creatures being specifically Yokai; Japanese ghosts, spirits, and deities), to its world, which even with its feeble attempt at changing the Japanese town names to English town names such as Springdale and Harrisville, is very Japanese-centric in design, from the store designs and town layouts (such as the very Japanese city raised walkways), to the country side being very Japanese in layout and with its Shinto prayer temples and monks, to Japanese foods being prominent from rice balls to Ramen (which to their credit, props to level-5 for deciding kids can grasp the concept for foreign places having foreign food. Miss me with that Rice Balls = Donuts and Sandwiches nonsense.). That's not even mentioning the Yokai themselves, which reference some pretty bizarre Yokai that I would argue aren't as easily understood universally. If you aren't already a massive fan of Japanese culture, well I hope new players of Yokai Watch who pick it up learn to like it a lot. If it's not their cup of tea, then Yokai Watch might not bode well for them, even if they otherwise like the gameplay. Its fortunate enough I was already a huge otaku going into it, which added to my enjoyment even when I myself went into the game thinking it was a blatant Pokemon ripoff.

Personally, I'm not sure where I'd put the likelihood of any Level-5 character making into Smash at currently (Although I could see one as more likely as a DLC character than in the base roster, a factor that newcomer speculators do have a precedent for considering now.), but it's hard to say which series (Layton VS. Yokai) is more relevant right now. Layton did get the more recent game release, but I'm not sure how popular the Professor Layton series was in Japan, meanwhile Yokai Watch was huge for awhile there, though last I heard its popularity was starting to wane. Additionally, we don't know the current state of Yokai Watch 3 in North America (Or anywhere outside of Japan really. Maybe it'll be one of the final releases for the 3DS globally. I dunno.). Layton does have more games, and thus more moveset potential, so that's a plus. However, Jibanyan (who I'm almost certain would be the Yokai rep, unless they put in Nate himself, with Jibanyan, Komasan, and Whisper helping him attack), is already set in Stone. Like Pikachu, Jibanyan is Jibanyan from game one, to games two and three, with little drastic change from game to game, and Jibanyan is the resident mascot character for Yokai Watch, as Pikachu is to Pokémon. On that note, that does kind of suck because Jibanyan in a hypothetical Smash playstyle probably would look and feel like just another Pokémon, which people leary of a Yokai Watch rep over other characters would be perfectly understood in being irritated by. Outside of being bipedal and using some fire moves, he would probably do a lot of weaker, quick jabs and kicks, just like whadaya know, Pikachu. Plus a by far not the worst voice in the series, but potentially grating voice lines might not warm detractors up to him very much either. I would love if a Yokai that would really differentiate Yokai Watch from Pokémon made it into Smash, like Kyubei, Venoct, or Snartle, but simply put Jibanyan is the face of Yokai, so he's the most likely candidate for Smash Yokai consideration.

Whew, that was lengthy. I'll try proofreading this, but I'm about 85% sure there's going to be some grammatical error in here somewhere.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Admittedly as much of a fan as I have been of his series, I still struggle a bit of seeing him in Smash. Maybe it's simply my lack of imagination lol.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's admittedly hard to tell wether or not Level-5 would even get any character in Smash to begin with. Although they are one of the more notable Japanese third parties who have yet to get any characters in Smash. When it comes between Layton and Jibanyan, I would prefer to see Layton myself. Hershel seems to be popular in both Japan and outside of it (At least in Europe), whereas Jibanyan didn't seem to have managed to catch the oversees audience as well, however, he makes up with that with his larger scale popularity in Japan.

I guess it would depend on wether or not Sakurai would choose to pick the character with a more worldwide appeal or the one with a larger scale popularity, but mainly in Japan. At least as far as Level-5's IP's are concerned.

Also I don't know if Level-5 acknowledged Jibanyan's support for Smash. (Although that may be ignorance on my part since I don't really follow the Yokai Watch series as in depth) I know they did with Layton though.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
It's admittedly hard to tell wether or not Level-5 would even get any character in Smash to begin with. Although they are one of the more notable Japanese third parties who have yet to get any characters in Smash. When it comes between Layton and Jibanyan, I would prefer to see Layton myself. Hershel seems to be popular in both Japan and outside of it (At least in Europe), whereas Jibanyan didn't seem to have managed to catch the oversees audience as well, however, he makes up with that with his larger scale popularity in Japan.

I guess it would depend on wether or not Sakurai would choose to pick the character with a more worldwide appeal or the one with a larger scale popularity, but mainly in Japan. At least as far as Level-5's IP's are concerned.

Also I don't know if Level-5 acknowledged Jibanyan's support for Smash. (Although that may be ignorance on my part since I don't really follow the Yokai Watch series as in depth) I know they did with Layton though.
That is true. I can't speak for North America, although I believe I recall Layton doing well in America, but it was the Japanese market I wasn't sure of the numbers for in terms of sales and popularity. Clearly it's of little shock that Layton was more than likely received well in the European market.

And yeah, between the two I'd pick Layton as well. I like Yokai as a series just a bit more (Though I must stress that both Yokai Watch and Professor Layton are wonderfully charming and fun series.), but Layton would be a more innovative fighter, no contest. I just can't really see Jibanyan being super interesting in playstyle, which is unfortunate since the front runners for Yokai reps are either him, or Nate/Katie, while still probably incorporating him (Or maybe Whisper or Komasan if we're really reaching and Sakurai somehow threw us a big crazy curveball, which I suppose isn't out of the realm of possibilities.). Layton might be hard to turn into a fighter, but I'll take that over generic any day. It'd be a lot harder call if there were almost any other Yokai that could contest with Jibanyan, but unless Yokai Watch Somehow got the Pokémon treatment with multiple reps (Something I find highly unlikely), the obvious choice is Jibanyan, and in that case Layton wins my vote for who I'd like to see more in Smash.

Last edited:

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
I agree with all that's been said recently, especially that I would be annoyed if Jibanyan got it.

Also, a new Inazuma Eleven game did get announced for the Switch, imagine if that got in instead of Yokai or Layton.

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Wow I'm late I need to pay attention to goings on more. Some thoughts I want to add on previous topics:
-Curious Village is in my book the best one to start with, by far. It sets all the necessary foundations in terms of gameplay and "feel" and I think you will appreciate the story of the third game Lost Future much more if you are already familiar with Layton and Luke. Not that the plot doesn't stand up on it's own, but it surely must lose something.
Curious Village and Lost Future are, in my opinion, the "purest" essences of Professor Layton, before it was corrupted by a lot of unnecessary fluff that detracted from the core gameplay and "feel" of what Layton is about instead of enhancing it. Pandora's Box is pretty good as well but I feel 1 and 3 are the pinnacles of the series.

-For Layton in Smash: I've said it before, but I don't want him fencing or anything. He needs to represent the core of the series - ultimately lateral thinking and solving problems - and so any moveset you give to Layton MUST make sense on Katrielle, Alfendi, Luke, Emmy, Flora, hell if you can't see his moveset on someone like Granny Riddleton than in my view the moveset has failed to capture Layton and needs to be reconsidered.

-Same applies to the stage that you give him, MegaMarioMan9 said it well in that it needs to capture the atmosphere. Either make it London or a part of London or make it more puzzle-themed - I think you could still capture the atmosphere that way. Instead of putting a timer on it, just let the stage produce a randomly generated maze in the centre similar to the arcade levels in Brawl and Wii U (Donkey Kong, Mario Bros, or even Wrecking Crew) or balancing scales puzzles or something and boom you've got a good Layton stage. St Mystere would also work I think, like how EarthBound has Onett as it's enduring stage because it's the starting location and iconic to that game.

-I've heard some conjecture that the Smash Ballot of 2015 could inspire some of the characters chosen for Smash Switch. I remember Layton actually gathering quite a lot of popularity on that ballot, in part due to Miller's line mishap and the fallout on Twitter. But I think Layton was generally quite a popular option anyway, judging by the admittedly shaky estimate that emerged on Imgur shortly after the ballot closed. Even if he's not people's first choice he has an "oh yeah that would be cool" factor.

-I've also heard conjecture that there might be a character "switch" mechanic in Smash Switch, similar to Marvel or Dragon Ball Fighters Z (or just think Pokemon Trainer). Obviously there is nothing to suggest that is actually going to be a mechanic, but I like the idea and wouldn't it be cool to get two Level-5 characters tied together like that like Jibanyan and Layton?

-I've been giving some more thought to what a Layton moveset could be, so I'll do another post on that like I did before later this week or next week or something.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
both layton and yo-kai watch captured my heart

streetpass certainly implies there arent a lot of people playing yo-kai watch here so yeah it certain looks like im one of the few who fell in love with both series

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
both layton and yo-kai watch captured my heart

streetpass certainly implies there arent a lot of people playing yo-kai watch here so yeah it certain looks like im one of the few who fell in love with both series
As already said on this thread, I too love both series. (And I really hope Yokai Watch 3 gets announced for North America.)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Layton's rating in Rate Their Chances comes in a few days. I have a large analysis ready for Layton in RTC. Honestly, after writing the analysis down, I feel more confident of Layton getting in than ever before. :)

I am still a supporter of Layton, BTW! Feel free to add me!

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Layton's rating in Rate Their comes in a few days. I have a large analysis ready for Layton in RTC. Honestly, after writing the analysis down, I feel more confident of Layton getting in than ever before, look forward to it. :)
Oh boy, Layton's RTC, bet that won't be filled with a lot of misconceptions such as him being "just another sword user" and whatnot....

Oh well, don't feel too confident on his chances myself but I'll try my best to give a good analysis for him too.

Top Bottom