• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The problem with Mario in Smash Bros.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Ya know, there's one thing that's been bugging me about Smash Bros. as of late.

Mario is meant to be this jolly happy character. He's always smiling on the cover of his games. And when things get serious he rarely gets super mad. But in Super Smash Bros. he never smiles.

I'm pretty sure he's never smiled once in the entire series. It just seems very out of character.

D

Deleted member

He looks more like himself in melee too.

In Brawl he has a serious expression, and since Smash 4 took a lot of assets from brawl, he does in that too.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I think Mario is just a character meant to represent balance. His emotions always matches the situation he's in. If he's playing golf, then he makes happy expressions. But if he's doing something serious like fighting, he tends to focus on what he's doing resulting on his "serious face".
This not only just happens on smash bros; you can see this serious face every time he sees or is about to fight Bowser on his main games, for example.

Last edited:

Sprite

Smash Cadet
Ya know, there's one thing that's been bugging me about Smash Bros. as of late.

Mario is meant to be this jolly happy character. He's always smiling on the cover of his games. And when things get serious he rarely gets super mad. But in Super Smash Bros. he never smiles.

I'm pretty sure he's never smiled once in the entire series. It just seems very out of character.
I noticed that too. He and Luigi seem out of character. Hopefully they become happier in newer smash games. And yes, we can have happy characters in smash, such as peach, Ness, duck hunt, and kirby

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
Mario isn't actually Mario in all the smash games. Mario is the baseline marker. He is the absolute average of every smash character, which is why he is such a versatile character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mario isn't actually Mario in all the smash games. Mario is the baseline marker. He is the absolute average of every smash character, which is why he is such a versatile character.
Not really true. Mario is above average weight due to so many light weights since Smash 4, he's also faster than average and has better combo's and strings than most. In 64 and Melee it's more apperant, and in Brawl he was downright terrible. He's not really a middleground character, and he doesn't have to be that way either. Let him stay like that in Mario Tennis and Kart and the like. I enjoy Mario far more in Smash 4 than any other Smash game barring Melee.

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
Not really true. Mario is above average weight due to so many light weights since Smash 4, he's also faster than average and has better combo's and strings than most. In 64 and Melee it's more apperant, and in Brawl he was downright terrible. He's not really a middleground character, and he doesn't have to be that way either. Let him stay like that in Mario Tennis and Kart and the like. I enjoy Mario far more in Smash 4 than any other Smash game barring Melee.
I was actually speaking In the context of Melee. It's the only smash game I actually play anymore. I definitely don't play enough Sm4sh the actually make a competent character viability judgement.

Top Bottom