• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pro Controller and D-Pad Inputs

Would you use D-Pad directional input if it becomes an option?

• Yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don't even have a Pro Controller

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So, late to the Ryu community here. My first fighting game love has always been Street Fighter, but trying to use SF inputs on a Gamecube joystick was just not something I enjoyed. I played Ryu for about a week in Smash 4 then gave up.

But with Ken being announced today (one of my go-to main/secondary characters in every SF game), I've thought of something.

The Pro Controller.

See that sexy D-pad there? The one that could actually handle a shoryuken consistently?

I want to know if Ultimate's controller options will allow us to use the D-pad for movement inputs. They haven't for Brawl, 3DS or Wii U, restricting movement specifically to the leftmost control stick. But, they seem to have acknowledged the difficulty of Ryu's inputs by forcing him to face his opponent at all times. Could it be possible that, in this game, with this controller option, we could also get a custom layout where the D-Pad and leftmost joystick switch?

If so, I'm picking up Ken.

ROBschneider

Smash Rookie
You must not have used the d-pad on that thing if you think it can srk consistently. It's absolute trash.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I've used it just fine on the 30th Anniversary Collection.

Would you rather use that or a control stick?

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
The D-pad has worked for the Wii Remote without a Nunchuk, but having never held a Pro Controller, I don't know if the D-pad is clicky like the 3DS or "soft" like the Wii Remote. Hopefully the option to control your character with it is there, but I always found it a pain to use that over a joystick.

Top Bottom