• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Prince of All Cosmos rolls you up into SMASH! (katamari damacy)

Pakky

Smash Hero
So.. Yeah I've been making a lot of these lately despite my small windows of time but yeah Katamari Damacy one is on Switch and thanks to some great info hunting by Graizen Graizen a Namco rep is nearly assured and since I've played the games since I was small I'll vouch for the Prince.

Now well let's get down to some reasons why I think he'll be a great candidate.

Number one: Moveset potential

He rolls around gravity balls yes however the ball having the ability to grow to immense and to be push in a few ways makes for a playstyle not yet seen in smash.

Supporters

GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741
SAMation SAMation
farvin111 farvin111
rat.jpg rat.jpg

Last edited:

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
I actually was pretty close to making this thread a week or so ago. I fully support!

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
After watching the vinesauce streams of this game, yes! The rolling mechanic is super unique, though I'm not creative enough to figure out how to make it work.

The music being added would be heaven.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Honestly, I've been wondering if Brave is the Prince. He's definitely short enough, and both the lack of traction and no rapid jab eould make sense.

Also toss me on the list

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
The Prince should most definitely be in smash, even if it's only for that godly soundtrack.

Cosmiscient

Smash Rookie

Dan Don Fuga
The King of All Cosmos: "Oh! How silly we have been!
All this time and we are uncultured!
So uncool!
There is no star that intrigues the youth!
Nothing with the fighting spirit that at least some star ought to have! This what must happen to regain our popularity, yes? You know what we are referring to, yes?
Drumroll, zooms in on king's face ... colorful rainbow background as the king's facial expression changes, he poses, and joyously yells "SMASH!" katamari damacy theme starts playing as clips of the prince start rolling

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm 100% for any Katamari content. Playable fighter, stage, Assist Trophy, I'm all for it. And of course, it goes without saying that the music would be a fantastic addition.

Dan Don Fuga
The King of All Cosmos: "Oh! How silly we have been!
All this time and we are uncultured!
So uncool!
There is no star that intrigues the youth!
Nothing with the fighting spirit that at least some star ought to have! This what must happen to regain our popularity, yes? You know what we are referring to, yes? Drumroll, zooms in on king's face ... colorful rainbow background as the king's facial expression changes, he poses, and joyously yells "SMASH!" katamari damacy theme starts playing as clips of the prince start rolling
I love it, sounds just like how the King would call upon his son for such a task.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
The Prince is my dark horse pick for Namco's DLC character. Katamari is such a fantastic franchise and it's now on the Switch. My tentative moveset would be something like this:

Appearance: The Prince is about as tall as Olimar without his helmet, but pushes a katamari ball along, which is somewhat taller than him. The katamari is always in front of him and is part of his hurtbox. However, the katamari has some super armor, unlike the Prince himself.

Mechanic: As the Prince performs attacks with the Katamari, it will glow and grow slightly bigger in size; this can happen up to three times. Every growth tier makes katamari attacks stronger, improves the katamari's super armor, and increases the damage of the Prince's Down-Special. This mechanic resets upon death or use of Down-Special. Any attack that involves rolling or spinning the katamari on the ground contributes towards its growth.

Normals: The Prince's normals are mostly katamari rolls or bounces. His aerials have him swinging the katamari in different directions. When the katamari is larger, these attacks gain greater damage, a larger hitbox, and rainbow visual effects.

Smash Attacks: Up-Smash has the Prince rapidly spinning the katamari above him with his legs. Down-Smash has him spinning it in place while standing on it. Forward-Smash is a rapid roll with some horizontal movement that increases when the katamari is larger.

Grab: Sticks the opponent to the katamari and pummels them with punches and kicks. For throws, the katamari is rolled and launches the opponent in different directions.

Neutral Special: Charge Roll. Hold for the Prince to rapidly spin the ball in place. Release to go careening forward at great speed. Similar to Jigglypuff's Rollout, power and distance depend on charge time, and you can change direction mid-attack. Intercepted enemies are sent flying. This attack can be used in midair for horizontal recovery.

Up Special: Royal Rainbow. A fanfare rings out as a rainbow extends vertically from the katamari and carries the prince upward. This is a mostly vertical recovery move that deals no damage, but travels quickly and far.

Side-Special: Roll Up. The Prince rolls the katamari forward while running. Enemies caught by this attack will be grounded. It can be canceled at any moment. In midair, it has no horizontal momentum.

Down-Special: Stardust. The Prince holds the katamari up and it explodes in a ball of light. The power and range of this move is dependent on the size of the katamari. Using this moves resets the katamari to its initial size.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Prince is my dark horse pick for Namco's DLC character. Katamari is such a fantastic franchise and it's now on the Switch. My tentative moveset would be something like this:

Appearance: The Prince is about as tall as Olimar without his helmet, but pushes a katamari ball along, which is somewhat taller than him. The katamari is always in front of him and is part of his hurtbox. However, the katamari has some super armor, unlike the Prince himself.

Mechanic: As the Prince performs attacks with the Katamari, it will glow and grow slightly bigger in size; this can happen up to three times. Every growth tier makes katamari attacks stronger, improves the katamari's super armor, and increases the damage of the Prince's Down-Special. This mechanic resets upon death or use of Down-Special. Any attack that involves rolling or spinning the katamari on the ground contributes towards its growth.

Normals: The Prince's normals are mostly katamari rolls or bounces. His aerials have him swinging the katamari in different directions. When the katamari is larger, these attacks gain greater damage, a larger hitbox, and rainbow visual effects.

Smash Attacks: Up-Smash has the Prince rapidly spinning the katamari above him with his legs. Down-Smash has him spinning it in place while standing on it. Forward-Smash is a rapid roll with some horizontal movement that increases when the katamari is larger.

Grab: Sticks the opponent to the katamari and pummels them with punches and kicks. For throws, the katamari is rolled and launches the opponent in different directions.

Neutral Special: Charge Roll. Hold for the Prince to rapidly spin the ball in place. Release to go careening forward at great speed. Similar to Jigglypuff's Rollout, power and distance depend on charge time, and you can change direction mid-attack. Intercepted enemies are sent flying. This attack can be used in midair for horizontal recovery.

Up Special: Royal Rainbow. A fanfare rings out as a rainbow extends vertically from the katamari and carries the prince upward. This is a mostly vertical recovery move that deals no damage, but travels quickly and far.

Side-Special: Roll Up. The Prince rolls the katamari forward while running. Enemies caught by this attack will be grounded. It can be canceled at any moment. In midair, it has no horizontal momentum.

Down-Special: Stardust. The Prince holds the katamari up and it explodes in a ball of light. The power and range of this move is dependent on the size of the katamari. Using this moves resets the katamari to its initial size.
Wow, great moveset! I didn't think it was possible to make one for the Prince, but this one is simplistic yet satisfying, like Sonic's or Olimar's.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Sign me up as a supporter, The Prince is my all-time most wanted 3rd party for Smash! There's just so much he could bring to the table, and I feel like he would fit in so well with the other characters. I also really enjoyed that moveset concept video, and it incorporates a special character gimmick that all of the DLC characters have. We've got tough competition like Lloyd and Heihachi to worry about, along with the Pac Man taunt, but we will keep the spirit alive and continue to feel the cosmos!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
More DLC slots, Prince fans! Which means room for possibly multiple Bamco reps. If these were decided recently then it's plenty of time for Namco to have seen how well Reroll has done, which should help the Prince.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
More DLC slots, Prince fans! Which means room for possibly multiple Bamco reps. If these were decided recently then it's plenty of time for Namco to have seen how well Reroll has done, which should help the Prince.
Speaking of, did Reroll do well? You have a source or something?

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Count me as a supporter! Love me some Katamari!

I made a moveset for The Prince some time ago. If I find it, I'll make sure to post it here.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Speaking of, did Reroll do well? You have a source or something?
From what I've read it was 4th on the eShop rankings its' first couple of weeks (released on the same day as Smash and everything) and remained in the top 10 for awhile after, though I need to go back and find exact data, just going on secondhand reports. It also sold out of Physical copies and was scalped for awhile.

The series is also receiving plenty of merchandise (it received none during its' heyday) and according to the candy box from July there's a 15th anniversary logo and everything. Clearly Namco has something planned for the series.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
From what I've read it was 4th on the eShop rankings its' first couple of weeks (released on the same day as Smash and everything) and remained in the top 10 for awhile after, though I need to go back and find exact data, just going on secondhand reports. It also sold out of Physical copies and was scalped for awhile.
Oh, it got a physical release? Not a lot of Switch ports get that so that already gives me hope that the franchise will go on.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Oh, it got a physical release? Not a lot of Switch ports get that so that already gives me hope that the franchise will go on.
It was exclusive to Gamestop but it still got it which is a good sign. Honestly I really want to see the Prince make the roster, it'd bring so much more than Tekken or Tales. Judging by these reports it'd sell well enough as a DLC pack.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Pretty sure the physical release was GameStop exclusive. True story, I couldn't find a physical copy for the life of me, but my brother and his wife went out to GS on a whim to look for new games and bought it without knowing how hard it was to find. Kinda irritated me, but in a "this'll make for a laughable story" kind of way.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Pretty sure the physical release was GameStop exclusive. True story, I couldn't find a physical copy for the life of me, but my brother and his wife went out to GS on a whim to look for new games and bought it without knowing how hard it was to find. Kinda irritated me, but in a "this'll make for a laughable story" kind of way.
Either way I hope you were able to get it in the end!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I hope you get to play it soon, they did a great job on the remake! Though I do wish they had brought over some of the quality of life improvements from the later games.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I hope you get to play it soon, they did a great job on the remake! Though I do wish they had brought over some of the quality of life improvements from the later games.
Yeah, I'm hoping they'll remake We Love Katamari. Damacy's good, but WLK just did so much interesting stuff that I'd love to play again on the Switch.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'm hoping they'll remake We Love Katamari. Damacy's good, but WLK just did so much interesting stuff that I'd love to play again on the Switch.
Was hoping to get an announcement for WLK Reroll in the direct, hopefully next time!

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Was hoping to get an announcement for WLK Reroll in the direct, hopefully next time!
That's the game where some of my favorite cousins come from (Beyond, Nutsuo, and Huey), and I absolutely love that mission on the race track with Everlasting Love playing. To do all that in HD - and on the go - would be faaaaaaaaantastic.

Speaking of Cousins, they seem like an obvious color swap for The Prince if he made it into the game. Do you think they'd just color Prince like the other Cousins, or would they pull a Bowser Jr and make the other Cousins their own named characters with slightly different character models?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
That's the game where some of my favorite cousins come from (Beyond, Nutsuo, and Huey), and I absolutely love that mission on the race track with Everlasting Love playing. To do all that in HD - and on the go - would be faaaaaaaaantastic.

Speaking of Cousins, they seem like an obvious color swap for The Prince if he made it into the game. Do you think they'd just color Prince like the other Cousins, or would they pull a Bowser Jr and make the other Cousins their own named characters with slightly different character models?
If they were willing to pay for a few extra announcer lines I'd say a Bowser Jr. would be doable! There are plenty of popular cousins that either use the same model or a similar model to the Prince (June, Dipp, Ichigo, etc), and they're all mute so they wouldn't have to worry about voice acting for all of them. It'd be an easy and fun idea!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Incidentally, I finally managed to grab WLK at a specialty game store recently, Greatest Hits edition. It already seems a tad more difficult than the original, as you can only do the initial objectives once, and there's no Eternal mode. And yes, I heard of the Cowbear level.

I'll have to resume it more seriously once I can get a break from the Crash Team Racing GPs.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I'd love to see how crazy they get with the color swap Cousin inclusions. Would they stop at characters with the more traditional Prince shape, like Ichigo? Would they get a little more crazy with the designs, but nothing too wacky, like Ace?

I personally don't see Prince being a fighter with much of an emphasis on his own abilities/physique, so I think they might be able to get away with a little more zany variation in body shape, like you see with Huey and Kinoko; as long as they are bipedal and have a vague resemblance to The Prince's torso and weird head.

I'll have to resume it more seriously once I can get a break from the Crash Team Racing GPs.
Another cultured individual, I see. I played the Spyro GP long enough to get the three new characters and then hopped back over to Three Houses, but I had a blast playing that Spyro track.

Unfortunately, none of the Spyro characters have dethroned N. Trance as my favorite character to play as. Maybe if they'd put in Ripto, and he was an Acceleration character...

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I'd love to see him get in. He's got such a nice iconic design. I won't lie, I'd be more excited about Katamari Music than the Prince himself getting in though....

I can't really think of any moveset though. He seems like he could have been a good Assist Trophy. He could have worked like Kappn where he picks up players and rolls them off the stage.

But hey, if Sakurai and his team could make a good moveset, that'd be awesome.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Ace seems plausible! If we're gonna choose 8 alts I think the lineup would be 4 male, 4 female. So we have Prince (default), Dipp, Kuro, Ace, Marcy, June, Ichico, Velvet. Characters like Fujio, Peso, or Miso could be used as well since they wouldn't have to worry about hitbox changes!

Also glad to see someone else still remembers the GBA games! The Huge Adventure was my first Crash game until N. Sane Trilogy, sadly never got to play N-Tranced. But N-Trance is a cool villain and I'm glad they finally brought him back!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd love to see how crazy they get with the color swap Cousin inclusions. Would they stop at characters with the more traditional Prince shape, like Ichigo? Would they get a little more crazy with the designs, but nothing too wacky, like Ace?

I personally don't see Prince being a fighter with much of an emphasis on his own abilities/physique, so I think they might be able to get away with a little more zany variation in body shape, like you see with Huey and Kinoko; as long as they are bipedal and have a vague resemblance to The Prince's torso and weird head.

Another cultured individual, I see. I played the Spyro GP long enough to get the three new characters and then hopped back over to Three Houses, but I had a blast playing that Spyro track.

Unfortunately, none of the Spyro characters have dethroned N. Trance as my favorite character to play as. Maybe if they'd put in Ripto, and he was an Acceleration character...
I would like to see Macho myself, wouldn't be too hard to work with since he mostly just has a slightly buffer chest.

But yeah, it's weird how absent Ripto is, despite the datamine. I'm honestly worried if any of the remaining datamined characters are in beyond Brio, Nina and Moe...

In any case, besides, forthcoming GPs, I'm looking forward to whatever is the first new game for the Crash/Spyro verse that may be announced at the VGAs.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Ace seems plausible! If we're gonna choose 8 alts I think the lineup would be 4 male, 4 female. So we have Prince (default), Dipp, Kuro, Ace, Marcy, June, Ichico, Velvet. Characters like Fujio, Peso, or Miso could be used as well since they wouldn't have to worry about hitbox changes!

Also glad to see someone else still remembers the GBA games! The Huge Adventure was my first Crash game until N. Sane Trilogy, sadly never got to play N-Tranced. But N-Trance is a cool villain and I'm glad they finally brought him back!
Yeah, that sounds like a plausible lineup of Cousins. But I won't doubt how great it would be to see one of the wackier Cousins like Ban-Ban make the cut, haha.

I never actually got the opportunity to play Huge Adventure, and the only reason I played N-Tranced was because my dad sent it to my brother and I when he was overseas. It's a fun game, and I tended to gravitate towards villainous cyborgs when I was a kid, so naturally, I thought N. Trance was cool.

Maybe one of these days I'll get around to THA. I've heard good things about it.

I would like to see Macho myself, wouldn't be too hard to work with since he mostly just has a slightly buffer chest.

But yeah, it's weird how absent Ripto is, despite the datamine. I'm honestly worried if any of the remaining datamined characters are in beyond Brio, Nina and Moe...

In any case, besides, forthcoming GPs, I'm looking forward to whatever is the first new game for the Crash/Spyro verse that may be announced at the VGAs.
Macho would be pretty cool! His body doesn't differ too much from Prince's, so why not, haha.

I'm surprised Gnasty made it in before Ripto, but I'm not that disappointed. Gnasty's pretty cool, even if the impression he left isn't as big as Ripto. I'm just sad Ripto was omitted, at all.

I try not to think about the datamine anymore. I was pretty psyched for Baby Cortex and N. Tropy, and then 2/3 of the Back in Time GP were made up characters (which is one of the reasons I tend to criticize some of the Mario Kart roster choices), with no Cortex and Tropy in sight.

I wanna see what they do with new titles, too. I would imagine that replicating the original trilogies gave the devs some insight into what sets them apart from their successors.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, do any of you believe that the Prince's Pac-cameo won't affect things, now that we got more post-game DLC coming?

Macho would be pretty cool! His body doesn't differ too much from Prince's, so why not, haha.

I'm surprised Gnasty made it in before Ripto, but I'm not that disappointed. Gnasty's pretty cool, even if the impression he left isn't as big as Ripto. I'm just sad Ripto was omitted, at all.

I try not to think about the datamine anymore. I was pretty psyched for Baby Cortex and N. Tropy, and then 2/3 of the Back in Time GP were made up characters (which is one of the reasons I tend to criticize some of the Mario Kart roster choices), with no Cortex and Tropy in sight.

I wanna see what they do with new titles, too. I would imagine that replicating the original trilogies gave the devs some insight into what sets them apart from their successors.
My CTR responses in the spoiler.

Don't mind the babies much (at least Baby Crash has a basis due to a CTTR skin and the Crash of the Titans DS ending), but I find it extremely weird that they left Baby Cortex out. They push Crash, Coco and Cortex any chance they get, so this omission is insanely conspicuous. Maybe they just ran out of time for Back N. Time and Spyro GPs to each get five characters like Nitro Tour did (hell, I'm surprised they even fixed Baby T's character select voice bites)? Not that we're supposed to be privy to this info in the first place, but still. The Nitro gauge fill-up option leak has been correct, so if BetaM's accuracy continues at least there aren't much characters left that can logically be "cut", so we can only wait and see what happens after the spooky GP next month.

And I still wonder what the deal with the chickens is.

That said, I hope they can use the older post-NG characters in revised origins and new contexts, Crunch and N. Trance need that the most.

Edit: Welp, looks like something even stranger has happened in the last few days.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/253551-crash-team-racing-nitro-fueled/77994180

For possible cover-up reasons (because Activision ninjas), only the current upcoming trio, King Chicken and Baby Cortex and Baby Tropy are left on the driver list. Glad to see Tawna's finally gonna get a costume though.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
The Pac Man taunt cameo isn't affecting Heihachi speculation so I think we have a much better shot at getting the Prince than we did before! Bandai Namco's clearly trying to make the series big again, and the new DLC was likely decided after Reroll's successful sales, so Namco could be seeing that the character would sell. Furthermore, unlike Heihachi or Lloyd, the Prince doesn't have to worry about the potential return of a Mii costume while Lloyd/Heihachi do.

I am so happy to see this thread active! ^u^

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
I do love to support characters that are strange and unique, that's why I think he'd be an excellent addition to the roster.

Top Bottom