• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The possibility of Smash news before E3

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
When do you think we will get new Smash news before E3? if we even get any news before E3 at all?

Morbi

Scavenger
The next Nintendo Direct, presumably mid-late April; however, the entire month of May is also open. I would assume early May to distance it from e3.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I almost don't want any news, but I suppose it would "help" speculation.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
In two days, it will have been a full month since the reveal of Smash Switch, with complete radio silence the whole time. I'm sure we'll get something before E3. Going that long with absolutely no news wouldn't really make sense.

D

Deleted member

In two days, it will have been a full month since the reveal of Smash Switch, with complete radio silence the whole time. I'm sure we'll get something before E3. Going that long with absolutely no news wouldn't really make sense.
Especially given the invitational at E3. I doubt they'd send people into that blind.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I say it wouldn't be wise for them to leave us in the dark until E3. The game is less than a year away, with no gameplay shown yet, and we're still arguing if this is a port or new title. If we had to wait until E3 for news, there definitely wouldn't be enough time to cover all the content that'll be in both Nintendo's E3 presentation (which also needs time to cover plenty of other games) and the Invitational in that same week.

The previous Invitational had 20 characters playable and we're still only stuck with Inkling, Mario, Link, and whoever are in the trailer's silhouettes.

We're not getting a boatload of pre-E3 info, but we really need a good handful before then.

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I think I'd honestly be more surprised if we didn't get anything before E3. Brawl had frequent updates via the Dojo, and Smash 4 had a huge amount of stuff announced through live streams, as well as the Screenshot of the Day on Miiverse (which didn't announce things, but kept people engaged). Once they get rolling, they keep going, and I expect that pattern to continue with this one.

Personal guess: In mid- to late-April (or maybe early May), we'll get an announcement of some kind, be it a Smash Direct, or a segment in a general Direct. They'll show off the game, announce a name, and show off some returning characters, as well as the Inklings in action. They'll also reveal a newcomer - my guess would be Rex and Pyra, maybe? I fully expect them, but I don't know that they'll be next. Following this Direct, we'll get news more steadily, in the same vein as 4 - character announcements in Directs, "Character Announcement" streams, and stuff like that.

E3 will expand on the game further, with several character announcements (two or three) and a bunch of new features, modes, stages and etc. shown off, as well as the Invitiational, of course. Guessing that the release will be in September to coincide with the launch of the new online service!

Hinata

Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
as well as the Screenshot of the Day on Miiverse (which didn't announce things, but kept people engaged).
Actually, the Pic of the Day was often used to announce the return of veterans. While newcomers got big exciting trailers, veterans were often revealed by Sakurai posting a pic on Miiverse saying "hey, this guy's back! Ain't that exciting?"

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Actually, the Pic of the Day was often used to announce the return of veterans. While newcomers got big exciting trailers, veterans were often revealed by Sakurai posting a pic on Miiverse saying "hey, this guy's back! Ain't that exciting?"
Oh yeah, you're right! I forgot about that, but looking back, that is what happened. So then maybe they'll do something similar on Twitter now? Like, they announce a newcomer, and then take to Twitter to say that a veteran is coming, too!

Also, side note - three of the five newcomers in your signature are three of the ones I want most, too. :p You have good taste!

Hinata

Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Oh yeah, you're right! I forgot about that, but looking back, that is what happened. So then maybe they'll do something similar on Twitter now? Like, they announce a newcomer, and then take to Twitter to say that a veteran is coming, too!

Also, side note - three of the five newcomers in your signature are three of the ones I want most, too. :p You have good taste!
Yeah, I could see them using Twitter now. Or maybe they'd make their own website for it like they did for Brawl, and not have to depend on something like Miiverse or anything.

Also, nice! I'm curious as to which ones you're rooting for too.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I could see them using Twitter now. Or maybe they'd make their own website for it like they did for Brawl, and not have to depend on something like Miiverse or anything.

Also, nice! I'm curious as to which ones you're rooting for too.
Ooh, that could be cool! The Smash Bros. site HAS already been updated to show off the Switch trailer and tentative logo, so once we get more information and the site gets updated, perhaps they’ll add a section like the Dojo had.

Specifically Rex and Pyra, Isaac, and Joker. They’re some of my most wanted newcomers!

Last edited:

Hinata

Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Ooh, that could be cool! The Smash Bros. site HAS already been updated to show off the Switch trailer and tentative logo, so once we get more information and the site gets updated, perhaps they’ll add a section like the Dojo had.

Specifically Rex and Pyra, Isaac, and Joker. They’re some of my most wanted newcomers!
The Dojo had its benefits because every time it updated, you knew that it was something new, whether it be a character, an item, a stage, or whatever. The Pic of the Day was just whatever Sakurai felt like posting most of the time. But the Pic of the Day was obviously much more frequent, which made it much more exciting.

Hell yeah, you've got some good taste~

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I don't think we're getting info before E3 as in April or May.
But a info blowout before Nintendo's presentation? I strongly believe it's happening. Maybe even right before the invitational

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm torn, as I could see a Nintendo Direct giving us another surprise trailer like Inklings were, maybe a they use a Smash Trailer to announce a new game like Paper Mario. Like, starts out thinking it's a new Paper Mario game trailer, but then showing the Smash logo. But so that the Paper Mario fans don't feel **** teased, immediate announce a new Paper Mario game.
This could also theoretically work for Ridley by teasing a Metroid Prime 4 Trailer, but I feel that Ridley would be a bigger announcement, no pun intended.
However, I'm almost certain the proper trailer that shows gameplay and visual style of the game will be at E3. That would be the time to announce multiple newcomers and one big hurrah like Mega Man was during Smash 4. Third party characters always get the biggest buzz, so Crash Bandicoot would be a very good reveal to build up hype.
So my official prediction is one newcomer trailer during a Nintendo Direct being a more expected character, but the big information dump will come on E3.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Regardless of if whether it's gonna be at e3 or before, we're very likely to get an info dump/gameplay trailer before the invitational. I highly doubt they'll have the participants and audience go in completely blind, it's better to reveal some things rather than keep it all in the dark since it'll help build up hype and excitement for the invitational, and the eventual release later this year.

Atem

Smash Cadet
I believe that they will give us info before E3 because at E3 most of the cast would be shown. But I believe that the updates would be very limited if at all. If all the trailers are in the same tone as the first one the trailers would say very little and very (if any) game play shown. But who knows.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I'd actually be surprised if we didn't get a Direct in April this year. The only year in Directs' history of not having one in April is in 2016, when there was a drought leading up to the Switch. Other than that, April and even May have been home to multiple significant Directs leading up to first-party games. April 2014 had the Smash Direct and the Mario Kart 8 Direct. (The Smash one was actually on April 8, today. Maybe we might get something this week?) Last year we got Arms and Splatoon 2 on April 12.

I could see them just having a big reveal at E3 showcasing most of the essential features and style of the game. A Smash Direct on its own might be too much, but we can possibly see some reveal trailers/teasers in preparation of E3.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm actually surprised we haven't heard anything else yet. It's been a month.

I remember last time there was a special Direct right before E3, so they might do the same here. I'd guess they need to announce a few more vets before the Invitational, but you know that this is the major news at E3 this year.

Could be interesting to see who are the major hype reveals that they'll do at E3...

I need some news soon; it's driving me nuts.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
But I believe that the updates would be very limited if at all. If all the trailers are in the same tone as the first one the trailers would say very little and very (if any) game play shown.
Keep in mind that the first trailer was meant to get people excited and talking, hence why the only thing that actually represented Smash was the logo towards the end, catching people off guard. The next time Smash shows up, it'll almost definitely be with gameplay, and future trailers will probably work like 4's, with animated trailers, followed by gameplay showing how they are in-game.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If they did they would drop it in April but it really depends.

Do they want a giant E3 reveal or do they want to show something more before it comes out?

JawshGray

Smash Rookie
I think it's possible we'll more than likely receive a Direct in the middle of May, but I don't think we will mostly because I'm trying to keep my expectations low for news. However, it would be a little awkward to have the invitational before even revealing any new information about the game so... yeah, here's hoping.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I'm actually surprised we haven't heard anything else yet. It's been a month.

I remember last time there was a special Direct right before E3, so they might do the same here. I'd guess they need to announce a few more vets before the Invitational, but you know that this is the major news at E3 this year.

Could be interesting to see who are the major hype reveals that they'll do at E3...

I need some news soon; it's driving me nuts.
This makes me think, I used to be a doubter of any news before the E3 presentation, but the announcement of the tournament made me update my expectations that we'd get some news before. But your mention of the 2015 Smash Direct seems relevant: while we might technically get Smash news before the E3 presentation, it may also be right before the invitational, and the closest thing to the "no news before E3" hypothesis I used to expect.

Now if we get news only right before E3 then it also means we only get news right before the invitational which would mean players would only have very little time to familiarize with what to expect. This idea sounds a bit weird but not completely implausible either.

Now here's a new hypothesis: we hear nothing until a few days before the invitational, then we get an announcement of a proper reveal for Smash Switch, then we get the trailer with actual gameplay footage confirming everyone seen in the shadows from the initial teaser as well as a proper Inkling trailer, then another trailer for another newcomer. After the invitationa, we get another trailer in the E3 presentation for a character who was not in the playable invitational roster, probably a third-party.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
It kinda depends. If Smash Switch turns out to be an upgraded port, I think they would let us know before E3.
However, if Smash Switch is a completely new game, it doesn't really matter when they show it. An E3 reveal would generate a massive amount of attention and excitement, but showing it during a random Direct would achieve the same effect. It's a win-win for Nintendo.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they did another teaser in the vein of the Inkling trailer: reveal a new character, but don't show any gameplay yet.

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Smash Switch needs to shown off in some form before E3 because of the Smash Invitational. There also isn't a lot of time until release unlike Smash 4, which had a good amount of time to announce characters and details. They are going to really need to cram things in until the end of the year release if they want to drive up the hype like Smash 4.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I get the feeling that the first details, gameplay wise, will be shown when they announce who's coming to the invitational. I thought about it this morning and it seemed blatantly obvious (because it was how Smash 4 worked).

Top Bottom