• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Poppin' Bubble Dragons - Bub & Bob for Smash!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
index.png

Bub & Bob (for smash)

These lil dragons are most known for the games of Bubble Bobble, and Bust-A-Move (including Puzzle Bobble).
Bubble Bobble was an awesome puzzle platforming game that was arcade-style, and really popular in the NES era (it also had sequels on the SNES). Later they were mostly known for the puzzle games.

In Bubble Bobble, you would have to clear boards before moving on to the next, and could shoot bubbles to incase enemies in them. You could then touch the bubbles with certain parts of your body to pop them. Popping enemies could turn them into items like fruits to get for points. There were also other items that served as power ups or abilities to use on boards. The variety of these made the game very interesting and fun, sometimes whacky and sometimes very challenging. When playing at two players, both Bub and Bob were present, co-operating to clear boards.
(Something interesting to note is that you could also jump on the bubbles you made, if you held jump, this could be an interesting mechanic to include somehow.)

Bust-a-Move on the other hand is a very fun puzzle game where you would shoot colored bubbles in attempts to clear numbers of them. It could have some parts in smash too, but less than Bubble Bobble, which was a platformer.

Bub & Bob could be characters together, either as playable or assist trophies. They could be a duo character, or simply one of them with alts.

Here's an earlier thread that was for Bub as Smash 4 DLC:
https://smashboards.com/threads/time-to-pop-some-bubbles-bub-for-smash-4-dlc.403438/

Here's some gifs that can give you a small idea about the games:

(bear in mind that the game a lot more complex and challenging as the stages progressed)

Implementation:

As assist trophies:
They could both pop up and blow bubbles as they roam around, trapping periodically those that get hit by the bubbles, making them unable to do much for a little bit like in a yoshi's egg. There could also be other bubbles with elements that if people touch it makes elemental effects like in the original game that can hit anyone. There could also be something where if a player in a bubble is touched by one of them they're send to the ground with some damage and maybe planted or paralyzed for a little bit.

As playable characters:
smileMasky smileMasky 's idea:
If they were to implement Bub and Bob they would come with one of their classic stages from the old arcade with transitions.
On to how they would fight, they would work like the ice climbers as a team and be more of a keep away character setting up traps with their bubbles. They would be as light or lighter than the ice climbers. They would have great recovery but lack any kill moves and be mostly projectile based. Or if you wana go crazy and make them an Echo of the ice climbers giving them claw swipe attacks instead of the hammer attacks. Tweak the specials giving them their bubble blowing and bubble recovery. The Final smash can be a call back to the spinoff can be a call back to Bust a Move with them shooting a bubble ballistic crossbow at enemies.

(More info may be added later.)

Bubble Bobble Dragons, Bub & Bob for smash!

index2.jpg

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Don't forget the abilities their human forms can do such as creating rainbow platforms (from Rainbow Islands) and weild umbrellas (Parasol Stars).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Don't forget the abilities their human forms can do such as creating rainbow platforms (from Rainbow Islands) and weild umbrellas (Parasol Stars).
I haven't played that game, but from what I saw it's the same genre and would be fun. And yeah there's some extra moves in it that could be useful.

Playing Bubble Bobble and other types of games like it was so fun. And being able to play co-op really stood out compared to other multiplayer games. I kind of wish the genre would've kept growing after the snes and genesis times.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Count me in. Taito is owned by Square-Enix but seems to be fairly autonomous, they've kept the Taito branding still. And clearly Square is ok to rubber-stamp a Smash inclusion. Besides, the Bubble Bobble / Puzzle Bobble series have occured at least as often, if not more, on Nintendo consoles than PS or elsewhere. They've been on NES, SNES, Gameboy, DS, and Wii.

Besides, Sakurai loves retro, these guys are recognizable as basically the main icon for Taito. It's totally plausible!! Please Sakurai :D

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Count me in. Taito is owned by Square-Enix but seems to be fairly autonomous, they've kept the Taito branding still. And clearly Square is ok to rubber-stamp a Smash inclusion. Besides, the Bubble Bobble / Puzzle Bobble series have occured at least as often, if not more, on Nintendo consoles than PS or elsewhere. They've been on NES, SNES, Gameboy, DS, and Wii.

Besides, Sakurai loves retro, these guys are recognizable as basically the main icon for Taito. It's totally plausible!! Please Sakurai :D
Wow, I must be out of the loop. Since shend did Square-Enix purchase Taito? I know they scooped up Eidos, but I miss this news.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I support I should have double checked the character dictionary before. My bad.
Feel free to talk about more ideas if you had any.
I put your idea for them as playable in the first post, since I haven't taken the time to think how they'd be as playable.
I think they could also easily work as assist trophies and pay tribute to their games, kinda like bomberman.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Of all retro characters, I'm honestly a bit surprised that we never saw them in any capacity. They have such an iconic, simplistic design that screams Nintendo, and had more personality than most characters of their era.

That said, as much fun as they would be, I'm all for Excite Bike and Balloon Fight first. But long term DLC as characters? Awesome.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I've wanted them in for a long time, but they're so retro and obscure I doubt they'll make it. But if they do, I'll be incredibly happy. This was one of my favorite classic NES games growing up. They've got a good amount of moveset potential too, with their elemental bubbles.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Bub and Bob are both really cute characters :)
I support!

I love Bubble Bobble and Bust-A-Move is also great fun! :)

It would also mean that some other famous Taito properties, such as Space Invaders for example, would be able to get representation.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Some of my favorite games to play when I was younger, so I definitely support these guys.
They have enough recognizability and can pretty much serve as a potential retro character.
I'd be completely down to see these guys for base roster or DLC.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
if they got into smash in some form it might mean we are getting a step closer to get CATS from zero wing as well because of taito owning toaplan stuff and nintendo has referenced him few times before

Last edited:

MagnoliaMidna

Smash Rookie
I support!
I loved playing Bubble Bobble as a kid and I think they could be really cool fighters. Either similar to the Ice Climbers, working as a duo, or perhaps being like Olimar and Alph with palette swaps.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Bubble Bobble is a real big series where I am (even before Bust a Move akaPuzzle Bobble's horrific box art cursed us all) so it could be satisfying to see them in action. Not sure how you could be a full moveset out of them but Sakurai has surprised us before.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Bubble Bobble is a real big series where I am (even before Bust a Move akaPuzzle Bobble's horrific box art cursed us all) so it could be satisfying to see them in action. Not sure how you could be a full moveset out of them but Sakurai has surprised us before.
What if he'll include Rainbow Islands and Parasol Stars elements alongside these two series? You can also actually turn back into a human in Bubble Symphony, which may work as an alternate costume.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
I support Bub & Bob for Smash, preferably as a team. Between Bubble Bobble, Bust a Move, Rainbow Islands, and Parasol Stars, they have more than enough moveset material.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I support Bub and Bob. I really like those two, and I think they have a really good chance at being Taito’s reps.

But honestly I’m not too in favor of seeing them as a Duo character cuz it would kind of take away Ice Climbers’ uniqueness.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Yes! I love it! Bub and Bob are one of my favorite underdog picks. I can easily see them working as a duo with separate hitboxes. The reason it works is because gameplay wise they would essentially be the same character.

Put me on the list.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's cool to see a lot of people support bub and bob. If there's more I guess i really will have to make a support list :p

The other day I had an idea for a moveset. I'm only going to go briefly over some of the specials:

B : Blow a bubble. This would be a bit like inkling's ink, and the more you get bubbled, the more you'd see a bubble form, and if you get too much you'd get stuck in a bubble for a little bit.

Side-B: This would blow a bubble that makes you slide on the ground when you pop it, like in the game. You could also blow it on someone else to make them slide away. You have to run into it for yourself.

Down-B: This would blow a lightning bubble, so that if you touch it it'll launch the lightning as a projectile. (Like in the game., but maybe not reversed)

Up-B: Bubble jump. You would blow a bubble downwards, and if you keep holding up you will jump on it and bounce far up. You could also jump on regular bubbles but they wouldn't get as high.

The A attacks would mostly be bites, headbutts, and tail swipes. Maybe some interesting bubble-infused hits in some ways.
Whether it's a solo dragon or both bub and bob are there as a duo, I think both would be fine.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
So if Bub & Bob do get in, which version of their designs would you be most satisfied with them being based on?

1-
23E2D90C-087D-49BA-BC38-3D151E9B2D6F.jpeg

2-
15ED07E8-CE7B-4796-A1CB-B01FF6BF6E71.jpeg

3-
7FE7645E-B0FC-4058-9E3A-4864377D1C11.jpeg

I’m sure most people would probably choose the 1st one, but personally I like the style of the 2nd one better, here they don’t just simply look generically cute, they look both cute and goofy, and that’s how I always pictured them when I used to play their classic game.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I mean, I can BARELY tell the difference. Bub & Bob are right up there with Kirby in terms of characters who's design doesn't really ever change.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
The only Bub & Bob designs that really differ is that one time the US marketing department thought that they should be misshapen Macey's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloons.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ds/929817-bubble-bobble-revolution/images/175901

The "Old & New" designs, meanwhile, pretty much just give them longer limbs: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gba/562745-bubble-bobble-old-and-new/images/159619
Good heavens, that’s Megaman DOS cover level of messed up.

As for the ones I showed, I mean even if it’s just one detail or another, the three of them still distinguish enough from each other imo.

Oddball

Smash Lord
The only Bub & Bob designs that really differ is that one time the US marketing department thought that they should be misshapen Macey's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloons.
There was also that time the game designers thought they should be replaced by little kids wearing dragon costumes.

Bubble-Bobble-Evolution-Cover-Mobygames.jpg

I have no idea why anyone thought that was a good idea. (I suppose it would work for a Smash Mii costume though.)

Top Bottom