• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond: Greninja Social Thread and General Discussion

Do you think Greninja will return?

• Yes

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

This thread is for discussing Greninja's fate in the transition between games. Do you think he will return? If he does, what kind of changes do you think he will get/want him to get?

(OP is still work in progress)

(Title suggestions pls)

Last edited by a moderator:

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Now this is the pokemon I am worried about. I like the character my biggest concern is with a new pokemon game on the way and having sun and moon reps they could add in aswell if he will just get the boot for a new pokemon. I really haven't seen Greninja hit the popularity of characters like Lucario and Mewtwo level of fame so overall I hope he returns but I'm leaning towards possibly being cut

D

Deleted member

I think Greninja is a near lock to return. Just being a veteran obviously helps a ton, and is the most reliable predictor of a character making it on the roster.

As for the actual reasoning, Greninja is insanely popular among the Pokemon community, even winning an official popularity poll among Japanese fans.

For reference, here's how the other Pokemon veterans fared:
:4lucario:: 15th

:4jigglypuff:: 49th

:pichumelee:: 69th

:squirtle:: 114th

:ivysaur:: 477th

This was before Gen 7 and wasn't conducted internationally, so the results aren't perfect.

Besides popularity and veteran status, Greninja was heavily promoted through the anime. Ash-Greninja was even distributed in the Sun and Moon demo. It's also great in competitive play, as it's currently the 3rd most used Pokemon in USUM Battle Spot Singles and the 7th most used Pokemon online overall. There is no reason why it would be cut, especially since it's from Pokemon, and we all know how well that sells. The people who are think Greninja will be cut in Smash 5 are the same ones who thought Lucario would be cut in Smash 4, and look how that turned out.

Daniee

Smash Cadet
Ash-Greninja became a thing in-between Smash games and was VERY heavily pushed (more-so than Lucario ever was) during the tail end of Gen 6. Greninja is very likely here to stay.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
There is a chance of him not returning, but I would say it isn't that big. It really depends on whether if Smash 5 will even have cuts or not.
Though I do hope he stays, as cuts are never fun.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Greninja was my main in Smash 3DS/Wii U and is also my favorite fully evolved starter, and one of my favorite Pokemon overall. As a result, I really hope he does not get cut!

Even with my bias aside, I still don't see Greninja getting cut. Totally unique character representing Gen 6. I can understand people wanting clones or hard to get 3rd parties cut, but totally unique characters being cut is weird to me.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Greninja is the character I play heavily that I'm scared the most for.

I hope he isn't cut, he's one of my favourites

Also if he does return, I wonder what his new render pose is?

Gune

Smash Lord
Hes in the same boat as Lucario was in pre sm4sh people assume hes getting cut because hes a newcomer, Hell be back with everyone else on the pokemon roster.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah this reeks of a Lucario situation. Greninja isn't going anywhere, even if it misses out on the base roster /somehow/ like Mewtwo did, there's no way it wouldn't be DLC.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I was skeptical about him at first, but the little ninja frog has really grown on me. He has such a badass design and moveset... I am a little worried about him being cut only because he originally was cast as a rep for the newest generation of pokemon, and now we’re on 7th gen (possibly 8th here soon?). Hopefully he’s popular enough to overcome this.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I hope Greninja stays. Water-based fighters are a rarity in Smash and I like the idea of a water centric character.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
I really think ninja frog should stay around, and I think he has better odds of returning than what some people give him credit for. Pokemon is a giant of a franchise and Greninja did become a rather successful pokemon that seemed to even rival and pass the typical fox/canine pokemon in terms of popularity and being profitable to market. That's pretty huge for a frog.

I'd rather see Charizard or Jigglypuff or both exit before Greninja. I like :4jigglypuff: and :4charizard: but we don't need the roster dominated by Gen 1 pokemon and send the message that only they matter.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
When the time comes, can some edit haters over Sceptile in this gif please
(I hope it plays)

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm really excited for his return. Interesting to have him now because in Smash Wii U. It felt like he and Charizard were there to sort compliment each other. But now that Charizard is back with the Trainer, it feels like Greninja now has more individuality and I like that

D

Deleted member

• Shadow Sneak now has spooky red eyes on reappearance.
  • It looks like Shadow Sneak's front attack animation got touched up too.
  • Substitute is back, wood included. Don't know how well it works now though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Hoping Ash-Greninja was added to Greninja's Final Smash. I kind of doubt it, but it would be a nice touch and reference to the anime.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I kinda hope Ash-Greninja is an alt instead of incorporating it into its final smash so we can actually play as it.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I would expect another playable demo further down the line (closer to the release date) that has much more characters available, activity should definitely pick up by then.

The most I could see being revealed before then is more alts via the Pic of the Day updates.

D

Deleted member

I unfortunately didn't have much time to run this thread properly due to school getting in the way.
As soon as I'm done with the school year (which is very soon), I'll be much more active than previously.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
I kinda hope Ash-Greninja is an alt instead of incorporating it into its final smash so we can actually play as it.
Actually, I really like your idea better! It doesn't even need to have different colors. Could be just the standard one. Would also love if at least the Ash-Greninja theme is added to the music list. (Probably too much to ask to have the XYZ theme song in the game.)

Iridium

Smash Hero
I can say that :ultgreninja:'s Substitute is faster, and his down tilt launches a bit more upwards, possibly allowing for more combo potential. I will excited to use him once again for sure!

MartinAW4

Smash Journeyman
The red eyes animation on Shadow Sneak seems like a slight nerf since it gives the opponent extra time to react when using it on dark surfaces where the shadow is not visible. This is of course very specific and SS was mostly used off stage or in the air, so this should have very minimal practical consequences for Greninja.

Otherwise I cannot see other changes in the short Geninja video. It really did not show much. Substitute still seems pretty slow and the few other shown moves seem mostly unchanged.

I am mainly hoping for a faster aerial (like speeding up Nair significantly at the cost of damage), buffing Substitute in terms of activation frames and speed in which it hits in order to actually punish opponents before they get to shield and UAir linking properly even on floatier characters.

MartinAW4

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the blindspot fixing, that would be great.

Also for Up Smash, it would be great if it could hit players on Battlefield platforms properly. And more intangibility on Greninja's upper body would make sense. I could never understand why Sheik's Up Smash which she performed just with her hands was much harder to beat out or trade with than Greninja's Up Smash which is performed with two long disjointed water blades.

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
Anyone find it odd how of all the Pokemon characters revealed, nether Greninja or Lucario's final Smashes were shown?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Hoping Ash-Greninja was added to Greninja's Final Smash. I kind of doubt it, but it would be a nice touch and reference to the anime.
That's what I'm hoping for. Maybe some kind of gigantic Water Shuriken being added to it

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Anyone find it odd how of all the Pokemon characters revealed, nether Greninja or Lucario's final Smashes were shown?
I wouldn't call it odd, per se. There are multiple characters without a revealed FS, and :ultlucario::ultgreninja: just happened to be two of them.

I have a slight disliking to the idea of Ash-Greninja as Greninja's FS. It's a bit weird to me, seeing as Ash isn't in the game anywhere. Yet, I'd definitely prefer it to Secret Ninja Attack.

Zero1999

Smash Rookie
I know he was already confirmed to return time ago, but I doubt he would have been cut seeing that Greninja is very popular and even after Smash 4 was released,he still maintained his popularity,the biggest example was the Ash-Greninja phenomenon in the anime and the Sun/Moon games which lead so many speculations,there was a little chance to be removed tbh.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
So how about that blog post today? "During its Final Smash, it turns into Ash-Greninja...!?"

Not surprised but it's cool to see the anime and games meet up again. Plus, the blue Pokemon Trainer kinda looks like Ash so there's that.

WiiRool

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiRool
Switch FC
SW-2514-2416-3131
So how about that blog post today? "During its Final Smash, it turns into Ash-Greninja...!?"

Not surprised but it's cool to see the anime and games meet up again. Plus, the blue Pokemon Trainer kinda looks like Ash so there's that.
I'm only surprised by how they revealed it! That came out of nowhere... just like Greninja!!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What we don't know, however, is if Greninja's Final Smash remains unchanged, and the Ash-Greninja form is only around for the aesthetics. Considering that Smash Ultimate will not have any transformation Final Smashes, it's likely that Greninja's Final Smash will still be Secret Ninja Attack.

WiiRool

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiRool
Switch FC
SW-2514-2416-3131
What we don't know, however, is if Greninja's Final Smash remains unchanged, and the Ash-Greninja form is only around for the aesthetics. Considering that Smash Ultimate will not have any transformation Final Smashes, it's likely that Greninja's Final Smash will still be Secret Ninja Attack.
This does go in line with what the blog says: "During its Final Smash".
I can imagine Greninja starting by using Mat Block again like before, but only transforming into Ash-Greninja when the move hits and then performing the Secret Ninja Attack.

Top Bottom