• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pokedex Guide to Pokemon Trainer+

Zschalix

Smash Cadet
Haha yea that's exactly how i think about it too... Oh well, (insert poor ivysaur joke here).

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Naw, you only switch to Ivy when you're about to die so you can get back to Squirtle quicker :p
lol this dude.

To make it simple, there are two main reasons why you would ever intentionally switch:

- the current pokemon faces a disadvantage (due to character matchup, or stage, or both)

- you want to bust out a more favorable pokemon that's furthest in the cycle sooner (example: you switch out Ivy for Charizard so you're that much closer to getting to Squirtle)

The Switch is essentially your way of optimizing the matchup to work in your favor.

Also, i find that charizard's balanced play-style provides a good starting pokemon as his recovery is the most glaring weakness; however on death if i lose the first stock, i really wish i could switch to ivy for a cheap dthrow to uair kill. The idea of holding shield to rotate in alternate order seems appealing here.
I believe a reverse-switching feature is being worked on already. The premise goes like this: at the Character Select Screen, you'll have the choice to go regular Trainer or "Reverse" Trainer (by holding L in a similar way Samus/ZSS was chosen). Once you choose the switch type, however, you're stuck with that direction throughout the match.

Zschalix

Smash Cadet
lol this dude.

To make it simple, there are two main reasons why you would ever intentionally switch:

- the current pokemon faces a disadvantage (due to character matchup, or stage, or both)

- you want to bust out a more favorable pokemon that's furthest in the cycle sooner (example: you switch out Ivy for Charizard so you're that much closer to getting to Squirtle)

The Switch is essentially your way of optimizing the matchup to work in your favor.

I believe a reverse-switching feature is being worked on already. The premise goes like this: at the Character Select Screen, you'll have the choice to go regular Trainer or "Reverse" Trainer (by holding L in a similar way Samus/ZSS was chosen). Once you choose the switch type, however, you're stuck with that direction throughout the match.
Thanks for the help, i didn't really think of the switch as a means of moving to a further point in the cycle, i just wondered if anyone actually finds a reason to use the switch to integrate all three pokemon into one matchup; im aware that with the intense lag on switch that this is difficult...

As for the reverse-switching feature, i see how that could be beneficial.

Was really hoping it would allow for alternation between charizard and squirtle only though :ohwell:

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Poor Ivy =/

I really like his/her gamestyle tho I must admit it's the worst of the 3 (at least for me).
My previous statement wasn't aimed at the fact that Ivy would be left out, but rather the simple fact you'd be able to ignore one of the pokemon in any match. I feel that for PT the essence of the character is the requirement to manage three characters in one match. If regular switching and reverse switching is possible in the same match, it negates the very characteristic of that character. You may as well just play one of the individual pogeys.

Are there any Squirtle videos that you guys could link me to?
Also, this guide is really sparse :/
You can check out my channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/Guru2Kid) though it consists of mostly PT stuff.

For good Squirtle-only videos, you can check out Jcaesar's channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/JCaesar007

As for the guide, I was waiting for Brawl+ to be finalized, since constantly changing the guide whenever each change occurred would be a bit annoying. I'll get to updating it anyway soon though.

Why all the ivy hate? Ivy is beast! Im going to get some vids up !
I love Ivysaur! :) She's definitely beast material; it's just that for PT, in my opinion she offers less coverage in matchups than Squirtle or Charizard.

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
She?

Isn't Ivy a he? Well at least in the US version.
People call Ivysaur a she because "Ivy" is a girl's name. It's up for interpretation though. He/she.

Anyway, I think the reason that so many people dislike Ivy as a part of PT is that her playstyle is so much different than that of Charizard and Squirtle. I know I usually play her like the other two and get punished for it. Also, gimping hurts.

EDIT: Could I also post some vids for critique?

PKNintendo

Smash Master
People call Ivysaur a she because "Ivy" is a girl's name. It's up for interpretation though. He/she.

Anyway, I think the reason that so many people dislike Ivy as a part of PT is that her playstyle is so much different than that of Charizard and Squirtle. I know I usually play her like the other two and get punished for it. Also, gimping hurts.
I thought they called her a she because of her JPN voice actor.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
I haven't played 4th generation pokemon games, but I heard you can tell genders apart due to physical differences between a male and female (like for a random, probably untrue example, a male Rhydon's horn is longer than a female Rhydon's horn).

I assumed this was the reason people said Ivysaur as a female.

All I know is that Jigglypuff is female since she wears a flower, a bow, a female hat in some of her outfits.

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I don't think Brawl's Ivy applies to any of those male/female standards though. Also, looking on serebii, it looks like Ivysaur is 87.5 % of the time, so truly it's probably is a male. Anyway....

Does anyone else have trouble getting comboed with ivy? I have a lot of trouble with getting out of them with him. Besides bair nothing seems to be fast enough :/

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Ivy is a she!!!

Anyway just di out of combos. Only thing u can do. Ivy is a spacing char so you shouldn't be putting yourself in combo position in the 1st place. But yea ivy is a easy char to combo but she can also dish out nasty combos of her own! Combosaur owns! Love her new dsmash!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
In vBrawl, Ivy's Bullet Seed was an excellent combo breaker (I use the term "combo" loosely but you know what I mean). It still comes out really fast and has a good hitbox on the first hit, but it rarely connects into the seeds like it used to :ohwell:

Revven

FrankerZ
It still comes out really fast and has a good hitbox on the first hit, but it rarely connects into the seeds like it used to :ohwell:
Here's why: a change was purposely made so that you could SDI the seeds easier when you would get hit into the seeds. There's also the fact that it's easy to SDI it on contact. But, even so, BS is practically worthless now since people can SDI it easier and only get like 15% in, maybe even less.

Definitely not worth the use.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
I regard Ivy as a "she" for 2 reasons:

1) In the earlier days of Brawl, I played often on the japanese version.

2) If Ivy was to be male, PT is just one big sausagefest then. :ohwell:

Here's why: a change was purposely made so that you could SDI the seeds easier when you would get hit into the seeds. There's also the fact that it's easy to SDI it on contact. But, even so, BS is practically worthless now since people can SDI it easier and only get like 15% in, maybe even less.

Definitely not worth the use.
Because DI'ing the initial hit (as well as the seeds) was way too hard in vbrawl. :laugh:

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
So who do you guys think is the best starter against Marf? I'm totally lost on this one haha. I usually start with zard and end up switching during the match so I use squirtle twice.

zuluman

Smash Rookie
For whatever reason I cant manage to get my pokemon to not switch upon death. Is this a feature that was in an earlier version of B+ that the OP is referring to?

I've also noticed that it takes longer to switch from Charizard to Squirtle than it does for the other two switches. Might be worth adding this somewhere.

Rudra

Smash Ace
When using PT, you will always switch upon death now since he's supposed to function as a team. If you want to use one particular Pokemon, you'd have to choose them from the CSS instead of choosing PT.

Not sure about the switching thing, but iirc, the game has to load the characters (like it does for Sheik/Zelda transformations).

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It's been like that since vBrawl. Squirtle always takes the longest to come out, and Charizard is always the quickest. That's just the way it is.

THO

Smash Apprentice
Figured I'd let you PT guys know that reflex won HERB 3 BP with PT (and right after one vbrawl the PT as well). **** was pretty awesome.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
:\ Have the guides really been 2 months in the making, or has this topic been abandoned? I'm considering picking Ivy up as a secondary (though I actually make character movesets that I use with B+ codes), and I really want some advice.

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
:\ Have the guides really been 2 months in the making, or has this topic been abandoned? I'm considering picking Ivy up as a secondary (though I actually make character movesets that I use with B+ codes), and I really want some advice.
I'm planning on making a guide for ivy if the changelist ever comes out...

Top Bottom