• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The PokéSmash College of Design - Round Ten!

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Soo you're basically asking everyone to run Sword Dance Scizor?
Yeah, pretty much :awesome:

No, I was only looking at it in a UU tier matter. However, above it all, I'd choose Pokemon like Scizor (Omg, it's Bullet Puncher!), Excadrill (Now, we can USE Drill Run effectively :awesome:), and Lucario (Have some use for dat Force Palm and Metal Claw).

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Except Excadrill is banned from OU.
And Lucario needs dark/ice for his coverage.

dum dum dummmm

but yeah, cool idea.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The problem is that the technical ring would help a lot more than just UUs with potential.

:phone:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I guess you could do that.

But I thought the idea of the prompt wasn't just to make an item that is generally good, but a niche item that helps specific UU pokemon only, or moreso than other pokes.

I could be wrong though.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I guess you could do that.

But I thought the idea of the prompt wasn't just to make an item that is generally good, but a niche item that helps specific UU pokemon only, or moreso than other pokes.

I could be wrong though.

Well, it helps Ambipom by a longshot, and Weavile, as well.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Jesus give us a break, we're working on it. We'd rather not rush this stuff.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Create an item that makes one or more currently UU Pokemon competitively viable in the OU metagame.
Switch Top (stat swapper) - UltiMario
Creativity: 6/9
Wave: Sounds like this idea was inspired by moves like Power Swap and Power Trick. Despite that, you put a neat spin on it that open up many, many possibilities.
Creativity: 5/8
Wretched: It is really basic, regardless of the detail that goes into the properties of the move "Switch the highest stat with the lowest stat" is what I guessed everyone would do in the beginning.
Competitive: 6/10
Wave: You covered most of the possibilities in your submission, but here's some more fun ideas: Dragon Dance Latias (130 Atk), Sky Attack Skarmory (140 SpAtk), Metagross (135 Atk, 130 Speed), Specs Haxorus (147 SpAtk) with Draco Meteor, Focus Blast, Surf, Dragon Pulse, and of course, the infamous Choice Specs Gyarados gets a buff. It's definitely tougher to think of possibilities to break OU Pokemon. This item would definitely turn Pokemon upside down.
Competitive: 6/7
Wretched: I like that this move makes SO MANY UU pokemon viable. I don't see it making any OU pokemon too ridiculous, either.
Sexiness: 5/6
Sexiness: 8/10

6+6+5=17
5+6+8=19

Average score: 18/25

Elemental Machine (auto-weather) - Bing
Creativity: 6/9
Wave: Beefed up weather Rocks. I like that you encompassed every Pokemon and every weather condition in one item.
Creativity: 7/8
Wretched: I would've never thought to use weather to benefit a pokemon.
Competitive: 5/10
Wave: Weather wars, weather wars everywhere. We've already got Politoed, Ninetales, and Tyranitar. This does make Hail more viable, or at least more flexible, but at the same time it also makes other weathers better as well. I think the most interesting part is the ability to remove weather entirely, but there's little incentive to do that over running 6 Swift Swim or 6 Chlorophyll Pokemon.
Competitive: 2/7
Wretched: The ability to let ANY pokemon control the weather is a bit silly. This item would be a staple on every competitive team, UU and OU alike. The item would end up benefitting pokemon in the OU metagame much more in the long run. I don't like the idea of every match just being a weather battle.
Sexiness: 4/6
Sexiness: 7/10

6+5+4=15
7+2+7=16

Average score: 15.5/25

Technical Ring (portable Technician) - asage94
Creativity: 3/9
Wave: See below.
Creativity: 3/8
Wretched: You made an ability an item. Eh.
Competitive: 6/10
Wave: Definitely opens up a lot of possibilities. Purugly can probably revenge kill all kinds of stuff with Fake Out + Quick Attack. Hitmontop is probably broken. Cinccino gets a nice buff. Charge Beam users don't have to worry about possibly needing two Electric-type moves. Acid Spray becomes really scary. Technical Hidden Power 60 in general would be scary, though it isn't a huge boost (70 to 90 base power).
Competitive: 2/7
Wretched: This item would annihilate the metagame of not just UU, but OU and Uber. The thing about moves having low base damage is that they often have better effects, so the idea of making every pokemon in the game's movepool 2x as good scares me.
Sexiness: 3/6
Sexiness: 4/10

3+6+3=12
3+2+4=9

Average score: 10.5/25

Reptition Ring (super Metronome) - Dre.
Creativity: 3/9
Wave: You increased the power of the item Metronome.
Creativity: 4/8
Wretched: It IS an upgraded fury cutter, like you said.
Competitive: 7/10
Wave: Mother of god, mono-attacking bulky Quiver Dance Venomoth would wreck everything. Yanmega might see more use, but Stealth Rock is always a problem. There's a little effect on OU, as well. Haxorus has even more of an incentive to always click Outrage. Jirachi could rely on flinching things to death even more. On late-game sweepers like Terrakion or Lucario, it's basically Moxie.
Competitive: 3/7
Wretched: Every pokemon in the game could make use of this and abuse it.
Sexiness: 9/10

Wretched: Still sexy though.

3+7+4=14
4+3+9=16

Average score: 15/25

Levitating Carpet (self-Worry Seed variation) - Xonar
Creativity: 7/9
Wave: I like this idea. It's detrimental to the vast majority of Pokemon, and it's highly beneficial for certain ****ty Pokemon.
Creativity: 5/8
Wretched: If you think about it, the actual effect of the item just nullifies the pokemon's ability, so I can't really say that what an item makes a pokemon NOT DO is the most creative thing in the world. Adding levitate is a good idea, though, because it makes a lot of pokingmens more viable in general (not necessarily UU).
Competitive: 4/10
Wave: Slaking and Regigigas are now basically Uber. Slap a Choice Band or Scarf on them, and they'll basically kill anything that isn't a Ghost with Return, which can 3HKO dedicated physical Steel-type walls. If you opt for Life Orb, you can 2HKO pretty much everything with any combination of Earthquake, Fire Punch, Thunderpunch, Drain Punch, Hammer Arm, and Night Slash. Using Trick with this item is a bit gimmicky, since you might as well use that turn to hit the enemy instead. Addendum: You obviously cannot use a Choice Band, Scarf, or Life Orb if you use this item, disregard.
Competitive: 3/7
Wretched: The only pokemen that this clearly benefits were mentioned in your post, and that is because of their... SLAKING abilities. The only issue is that this item makes two of these pokemen potentially uber. Slaking and Regigigas have base 670 stats, and now they have no ability to check them at all.
Everything else is gimmicky.
Sexiness: 5/6
Sexiness: 8/10

Wretched: THEY'D BE BALLIN' TO USE THOUGH

7+4+5=17
5+3+8=16

Average score: 16.5/25

Sleeping Cap (Swimming Goggles) - Sold2
Creativity: 5/9
Wave: I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you didn't copy the hoax that was Swimming Goggles (item that raised Speed and Accuracy of Water-type Pokemon, and put other types of Pokemon to sleep.) Regardless, using this idea to bump up UU Pokemon is very interesting.
Creativity: 6/8
Wretched: Definitely went to an obscure place of the UU metagame. Sleep talkers.
Competitive: 7/10
Wave: Not sure if it's compatible, but Prankster Murkrow with Sleep Talk and Whirlwind would be silly. That exploit might be banned even from Ubers, since it'd basically force people to run ExtremeSpeed or some other unnecessarily fast priority-user. That aside, it'd be a very interesting tactic to use on walls. Getting off Toxics or Seismic Tosses might be trickier, and healing yourself might be less reliable, but you won't have to worry about Toxic. I'm honestly not sure if it'd be worth the trade-off, which is an interesting dilemma; I'm not sure if Sleep Talk has enough PP to let you do much, since you'd be limited to just 16 moves. You also won't be able to pull off stuff like paralyzing key threats on the switch-in.
Heracross is really scary now. And Hariyama and Conkeldurr as well, to some extent, though only having Fighting for STAB hinder them.
Competitive: 5/7
Wretched: This is probably the first item that takes specific pokemen from UU and makes them competitive in the OU environment. Guts Machamp is so horrifying when he doesn't have to rest, however dynamic punch is then forgotten, and his bulkiness would become null/void with close combat. His only option would be brick break and then his guts boost would seem pointless. This, added to the fact that one of the benefits of sleep talk machamp is rest. The same goes for Hera. However, Slowbro would become much more threatening.
Sexiness: 7/10

5+7+4=16
6+5+7=18

Average score: 17/25

About the scoring: Both judges dole out up to 25 points, and into different categories. Judging criteria and standards are consistent across entries. In the end, two scores of X/25 are averaged.

Congratulations to this week's winner, UltiMario!

This week's prompt:
Deadline: Sunday, April 1 at 12:00 midnight CDT

In memoriam of an April Fool's prank that was both devious and elaborate:

Design a Pokemon with the ability Illusion Smogon, Bulbapedia. Include its typing, base stats, and a list of competitive moves your Pokemon learns. Source of move (ie tutor, egg move, etc) not required. Specify which tier the Pokemon would be used in (OU will be assumed otherwise).

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
By the way, everyone, we're working out implementing the postbits at the moment. So even though they aren't issued yet, they will be issued eventually, just as soon as everything's all worked out.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Sorry to be a nag, but the review of my repition ring says that every pokemon could abuse it. I don't see how it benefits many pokemon though. If you switch moves, you lose the boost, so as soon as something resists the move comes into play, either you're attacking with a resisted move or you switch moves and lose the boost. It really only benefits pokemon that can afford to attack with the same move repetitively without switching out, unless I'm missing something.

I'm guessing I'm not seeing something really obvious here, so someone please inform me lol.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Well, what I'm saying is that the item isn't situational at all. I didn't feel like it was right that ANY Pokemon could put it on and potentially be a late game sweeper.

Kantrip

Kantplay
By the way, everyone, we're working out implementing the postbits at the moment. So even though they aren't issued yet, they will be issued eventually, just as soon as everything's all worked out.
Yeah I assumed as such and felt no need to pester about it. No hurry! :)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Not even mine, but...

Wave: Slaking and Regigigas are now basically Uber. Slap a Choice Band or Scarf on them, and they'll basically kill anything that isn't a Ghost with Return, which can 3HKO dedicated physical Steel-type walls. If you opt for Life Orb, you can 2HKO pretty much everything with any combination of Earthquake, Fire Punch, Thunderpunch, Drain Punch, Hammer Arm, and Night Slash.
How are you supposed to run Choice items and LO on these guys, again?

Also yaaaaaaaay won :3

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Well, yeah, they obviously have weaknesses. They're as fighting-weak as everyone, but combine them with the presence of dragons and you're basically ****ed. You'd have to run several (stab or choice specs/banded) fighting moves AND ice moves.

Besides that, there's the obvious status weakness.

Your best attempt at countering these guys is switching a Cobalion into a Return, eating MINIMAL damage and CCing the **** out of them, or Volt Switch if you predict a switch. You can PP stall with Whimsicott and stuff too, I guess.

But yeah, what's done is done. That was a fun round.

Note to self: Stop breaking the meta-game
Note to self two: Stop playing in Ubers so much

By the way:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Yeah, I still agree on Ulti winning, definitely.

Just pointing it out :3

edit: why would illusion be in memory of the april fools prank D:

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Well, yeah, they obviously have weaknesses. They're as fighting-weak as everyone
This is false. Have you seen their defenses?

but combine them with the presence of dragons and you're basically ****ed. You'd have to run several (stab or choice specs/banded) fighting moves AND ice moves.
Return hits harder than super-effective Ice Punch against everything except Garchomp and Rayquaza. Standard Rayquaza's AND standard Garchomp's Outrages are 2-3HKOs, while your Return 2HKOs both of them. Hammer Arm and Earthquake 2HKO 252 / 252 Dialga (you still outspeed 0 Speed Dialga after Hammer Arm). All other Steels are wrecked by Fire Punch.

Besides that, there's the obvious status weakness.
It is not uncommon for a Pokemon to be weak to status. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of Pokemon are weak to status.

Your best attempt at countering these guys is switching a Cobalion into a Return, eating MINIMAL damage and CCing the **** out of them, or Volt Switch if you predict a switch.
I predict your Cobalion switch-in and Fire Punch, Hammer Arm, or Earthquake for the 2HKO. Standard SD Cobalion 2HKOs with Close Combat. You can't say "well I predict perfectly and my opponent doesn't predict at all" to counter a Pokemon.

You can PP stall with Whimsicott and stuff too, I guess.
If you're resorting to PP stalling to take down a Pokemon, you're in trouble. Besides, Whimsicott is OHKOed by Fire Punch on the switch. If Slaking and Whimsicott are brought out simultaneously, Whimsicott doesn't have enough time to set up Leech Seed. And god knows no Slaking would willingly switch into a Pokemon who completely destroys it after setting up.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I predict your Cobalion switch-in and Fire Punch, Hammer Arm, or Earthquake for the 2HKO. Standard SD Cobalion 2HKOs with Close Combat. You can't say "well I predict perfectly and my opponent doesn't predict at all" to counter a Pokemon.
Holy shet they 2HKO cobalion?

welp
uber

also i wasnt defending them on some of those points really. like i said, i agree with most of it. no need to get too defensive <3

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'm not sure if I understand this round... You want us to craft a new Pokemon that can use Illusion effectivly, right?

Bing

Smash Master
Okay so I've come up with my idea for this weeks contest. Let me know what you think!

Hitmonshee(Hitmonchan/Banshee lolol)
Evolved form of Tyrogue when Sdefense is highest stat.

Physical Ghost/Fighting
Illusion used with Dark Type. Like a Weavile
Competitive Move set:
Attacks;MachPunch, ShadowClaw, ShadowSneak, CloseCombat, Thief, Dynamic Punch,Payback,PsychoCut,FirePunch,IcePunch,ThunderPunch,ForcePalm,Hypnosis,Nightmare.NightShade.MegaPunch,MegaKick,GigaImpact, .

Other: BulkUp, Screech, Swordsdance?, Foresight. Rest, MindReader, Protect, Detect, Toxic, Substitute.

Base Stats: HP 95 Attack 125 Defense 90 Sattack 65 Sdefense 85 Speed 95 Total:555

I believe this could be listed in a UU category because a ghost fighting type does have a few blarring weaknesses but temporarily covering these are the dark type cover. It does have stat boosting attacks but with its high base attack and speed, a better option would be to try to sweep using strong attacks, having options like fire,ice,electric and various other options.

Potential Movesets.
Rest
SleepTalk
Closecombat
PsychoCut

Fire/Ice/Thunder Punch
Screech
Machpunch
Bulk Up

Hypnosis
Nightmare/NightShade
MindReader
DynamicPunch

Substitute
Toxic
Protect/Detect
FirePunch
^ For the lawls.

Theres many of options with this Fighting Fiend!

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Figured the Ghost type was going to come up to cover a Dark Type, but not the other way around lawl.

I'll have to think about this. Many a option available.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Naw, once your Poke switches into Rocks it's instantly recognizable because of the typing.

A bit average on the speed and no DD or Agility to make up for it. Susceptible to priority too because it's forced to use Close Combat. Quite an elaborate move-set, though.

It's one of those Pokes that's good at killing one enemy, then has to switch out. Unfortunately, as soon as it's switched out, it becomes instantly recognizable.

I got dis :awesome:

but for reals it's up to the judges

Bing

Smash Master
I said it was UU I wasnt trying to make a OU or UBer lol

But actually I did forget about a few attacks, one of them being Agility. Also I considered AerialAce and some others. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20

Thanks for the notes though :p
I like the thoughts on it because Im learning more about the general metagame(I never thought of the rocks tbh) <-- Actually Illusion isnt effected by Entry Hazards

I would like to see what you came up with :p

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Rocks still get damage modified by typing, your mon takes half damage.

I do think your movepool, coupled with your base stats and extremely good typing lends for a solid as hell OU poke, so kinda surprised that you opted for another tier.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I'm just checking back in to say I'm disappointed I lost. Yes it was designed based on the fake swimming goggles, me and a friend had a conversation about this fake item and how without its water boosting effect it would still be great.

Sleeping Cap is honestly really imbalanced, if only because Sleep Talk/Roar Jolteon (and to a lesser extent Hippowdon, Hariyama, etc.) with that item would be a freaking nightmare. Sleep Talking the Roar with Jolteon bypasses the negative priority, the sleep would give it Quick Feet speed boost. That plus a couple hazards would just rip teams apart. Other than that it's a really cool idea though I swear!

Top Bottom