• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Plumber's Crack - Mario General

GeZ

Smash Lord
Really? Why's it unnecessary? Just the combos are good enough in P:M?
The UpB cancel was a good OoS option that started combos, so not necessarily a combo tool. It's not necessary because Mario doesn't need an insane OoS option. He's really good as is and doesn't at all need buffs to parts of his game that are just fine.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I see. He is really good at the moment.

I want to see a couple of flavor things with Mario's taunts. First, it would be cool if his fireball taunt could pull out Coins, specifically Yellow, Red, or any other colored coins.

And the return of his old DK taunt with a Smash input that makes it the modern SMB death with audio. And you SD if you don't taunt cancel it while he's in midair.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
None
Cause
Can not do
Mario general discussion and social thread. He's likely going to end up being fairly popular, so how many Mario's are around right now?
Y u nu not ever comment here nub

Last edited:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
It's just a good way to keep yourself safe when you do a bair, and it also helps to continue a string. It's a good skill to have, as movement is always good. Also if you're not aware you can also waveland after uair, which you couldn't in melee.

D

Deleted member

Currently my two mains for P:M are Bowser and Mewtwo, but I'm thinking about picking up the plumber as well. Mario just feels solid and easy to pick up. I'm hoping that he'll be able to cover some problem matchups for me as well(Captain Falcon, Yoshi).

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Falcon is hard for mario, yoshi isn't tho. With m2 you can beat every character in the game, at the moment.

Last edited:

dEllis

Smash Rookie
Falcon is one of my favorite matchups as Mario, it's all about footsies and fireball spacing

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
Been playing PM for almost 2 years now, and I absolutely love Mario in this game. Such an easy and fun character to pick and play he's like a mini Captain Falcon

Scatz

Smash Champion
Falcon is brutal for Mario. Mario has to lock Falcon down, but that's already insanely hard to do on a competent one. If you can't lockdown, then you have to win at the neutral, and Falcon's punishes are typically stronger than Marios...

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Falcon is brutal for Mario. Mario has to lock Falcon down, but that's already insanely hard to do on a competent one. If you can't lockdown, then you have to win at the neutral, and Falcon's punishes are typically stronger than Marios...
U like cats breh??

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Gonna slay some of @ Scatz Scatz homies this weekend :)
Will it be recored? I don't know
But there will be a stream link. The mario will be used.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Falcon is hard for mario, yoshi isn't tho. With m2 you can beat every character in the game, at the moment.
Mewtwo definitely loses to spacies, Marth, and Luigi.
The UpB cancel was a good OoS option that started combos, so not necessarily a combo tool. It's not necessary because Mario doesn't need an insane OoS option. He's really good as is and doesn't at all need buffs to parts of his game that are just fine.
It's not so much that it's unnecessary, it's more that it's impossible due to complications with Mario's Brawl model.

Last edited:

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Ehhhh. Why do they work so hard to make Fox and Falco 1:1 to Melee but then mess up random stuff like Mario's cape and tornado? Cape randomly sends people flying upwards and downb randomly wont rise from the ground even if you mash hard

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I'm trying to imagine now if a re-made Mario Nair based on Mario's jump-kick from SM64 would be really broken, or really stupid.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Probably the latter, a sex kick is basically the best nair you could ask for on a character with no armor, or disjointed weapon.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
nvm i know what im seeing now

Last edited:

cruised

Smash Rookie
Here's a situational almost-techtrap on fast fallers. If your attack sends the opponent into tumble but keeps them close to the ground(Mario has a lot of these on fast fallers), try caping them just before they hit the ground. The cape stalls their descent and can mess up their tech timing. If they miss the tech, you get a failed-tech followup(including jab reset).

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
That **** ^^^ looks really good just because the timing for hitting the ground there is ********. Love it. More tricks for us. I went to my first local in a long damn time. Started the night super rusty. Still really freaking rusty but I went from getting 2 stocked, to making comebacks, to consistently winning, which is a great feeling. Also I don't remember 3.5 Mario being this tasty. I was fighting Ivy and from ledge I did SH > Uair > run forward > grab. That's that **** I like.

Gallo69

Smash Apprentice
If the opponent doesn't DI it can work as a weird mix up. If they DI correctly away they go too far to follow up. Other than that it all depends on if they tech like you mentioned. It's really cool though :mario:

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
So last night I discovered Mario now has a dthrow cg on Falcon, definitely goes from 0-50% might be able to be continued longer, but once Falcon gets to 50% under a platform he will start landing on the platform. I'll test it on a human opponent soon to see when exactly he can escape it. Also you can end it with a flubbed fsmash, I tried fair, but I seem to only be able to get the meteor hitbox because of how low to the ground Falcon ends up after the throw, although there is value in both follow-ups depending on your position. If near the ledge the fsmash can set up potential edgeguards, otherwise go for the fair for a tech chase.

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
To followup on my previous post, the dthrow cg on Falcon goes from 0-200ish% and also works on spacies but on them you have to start with uthrow, and once you get them to like 50 or so % you can start using dthrow.

Smash Journeyman
Hello Mario players. I've been looking to pick up Mario in PM as a secondary and maybe a main (depending on what happens with 3.6), and I wanted to ask for some advice on getting started with the character. I'm comfortable with most of the basic tech skill and smash fundamentals, so I'm mostly just looking for some character-specific advice. I would also be very interested in anything I can do to practice Mario against AI or in training, because I don't get much practice time with other players.

Keman

Smash Apprentice
character-specific advice/practice Mario against AI or in training.
As I'm sure you have I would check out other posts in these forums, but as far as little things you can practice with no one else around.

- wall jump timing out of upB (can crazy recover with 2 UpB's on some stages like from the bottom of FoD)
- getting maximum height with Down B mash
- grabbing ledge and using that ledge invincibility to bair edgeguard (Gallo and people can double bair there I think somehow and make it back)
- Timeing cape as an edgeguard against recoveries its usefull against (lucas/fox/whoever)
- Breversing a fireball right after a walljump to get back on stage
- timing the dair so you get the little pop up that has that consistent knockback regardless of %(this may not be usefull no idea)

There is probably other stuff to, I am not really the greatest PM player, but those are some ideas
(chain grabs and dtilt/uptilt/uair/fair combos are more DI specific so hard to practice those without a human)

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've sometimes been able to do a 'reverse' wavebounce Fireball/Pill. Wondering what the exact inputs are cuz I can't seem to get it down.

It's like, you know how a normal wavebounce fireball/pill would be: jump forward, hit B, immediately hit opposite direction. Which causes you to reverse momentum and fire a fireball/pill behind you.

But sometimes I get it so I stay facing the same direction, bounce backwards, and fire the fireball/pill forward.

I can do it fine with the Cape, but I'm having trouble doing it with fireball/pill.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Do a Melee reverse-b (press back, release, press B) then b-reverse it. So if you're facing left: right, release, B, left. Harder to do than with Side-B's becuase obv you can just do SideB in the opposite direction instead of having to reverse it manually.

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Do a Melee reverse-b (press back, release, press B) then b-reverse it. So if you're facing left: right, release, B, left. Harder to do than with Side-B's becuase obv you can just do SideB in the opposite direction instead of having to reverse it manually.
Ah HA! Thanks.

Whoo boy this is gonna take some practice

GeZ

Smash Lord
Ah HA! Thanks.

Whoo boy this is gonna take some practice
S'called wavebouncing I think? A tip @Dakpo gave me for doing it with neutral B's is to press the control stick the opposite direction a bit early, which makes it much easier. There's a timing for it, but it's looser than just regularly performing it.

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
S'called wavebouncing I think? A tip dakpo gave me for doing it with neutral B's is to press the control stick the opposite direction a bit early, which makes it much easier. There's a timing for it, but it's looser than just regularly performing it.
That does seem to make it considerably easier. Thanks!

Top Bottom