• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Plumber's Crack - Mario General

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
two questions that I haven't really been able to find an answer to online....
first, does mario still have doc's up b cancel from melee? not that it's a great technique but nice oos option/show off tech
also any tips on getting sh uair or bair out fast enough for a waveland? one of my favorite combos is sh bair or uair without ff>waveland>jab or f-tilt>whatever else from there. i can do it almost every time using the a button but it severely limits mobility and I can't do it at all when I try with the c-stick. anyone else run into this?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I do not believe Mario has Doc's Upb cancel. Don't know if they intended to bring that back or if they could even code it that way.

You can cstick both Uair and Bair into waveland. Just get faster at doing it I guess. Not really a good tip for it, besides maybe making sure you don't Cstick Uair too soon before you leave the ground because otherwise you'll just Usmash

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
two questions that I haven't really been able to find an answer to online....
first, does mario still have doc's up b cancel from melee? not that it's a great technique but nice oos option/show off tech
also any tips on getting sh uair or bair out fast enough for a waveland? one of my favorite combos is sh bair or uair without ff>waveland>jab or f-tilt>whatever else from there. i can do it almost every time using the a button but it severely limits mobility and I can't do it at all when I try with the c-stick. anyone else run into this?
The way I practiced my bair and uair waveland is just bair or uair instantly after u jump so the move is finished on ur way up so u can waveland right after tricky at first but is really easy once u get it down I play mindgames with it all the time also bair>waveland>pivot dsmash is a good finish along with uair>waveland>fsmash goodluck with your mario!

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
So I think I'm coming back to Mario in some capacity. Not sure yet, but I was starting to play him more in 2.5, and he's been buffed in 2.6. Dat Plumber is looking real good.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'm going to wreck at a tournament this weekend with Mario. Should be recorded. Muahahahahahah

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
I know this thread has been dead since July, but thought I should just say I'm jumping on that Mario hype train, yeahh buddy.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I found some of PikaChad's matches and I dunno. I think he's a solid player, but not a solid Mario player. He doesn't seem present enough, if you get what I mean. Like he's not participating as much as he should in the exchanges.

Henrik Lagerholm

Smash Cadet
Something i've been wondering for a long time now is this weird feeling i have about Mario's moveset and their recovery time. It seems to me that Mario in P:M has less recovery time with l-cancel then Doc and Mario have in Melee.
I know that the code from melee is pretty much "copied" into P:M but it's just this feeling i have. A thing i like to do in P:M is dair ->-LC -> upsmash which works fairly well for my standards, i've tried it in Melee with Doc but it just seems to be slower...

So can someone please confirm/decline on this, so i can stop wondering and be sure of it?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Something i've been wondering for a long time now is this weird feeling i have about Mario's moveset and their recovery time. It seems to me that Mario in P:M has less recovery time with l-cancel then Doc and Mario have in Melee.
I know that the code from melee is pretty much "copied" into P:M but it's just this feeling i have. A thing i like to do in P:M is dair ->-LC -> upsmash which works fairly well for my standards, i've tried it in Melee with Doc but it just seems to be slower...

So can someone please confirm/decline on this, so i can stop wondering and be sure of it?
I think Doc has some slower moves than Mario in melee, along with P:M Mario being buffed above both characters in most aspects.

Henrik Lagerholm

Smash Cadet
I think Doc has some slower moves than Mario in melee, along with P:M Mario being buffed above both characters in most aspects.
Ah thanks, I didn't think of the possibility that Mario and Doc has different speeds on their moves in Melee aswell as he was buffed in P:M, i just thought he was a straight up copy-paste from melee with minor Doc adjustments.

Xcite

Smash Apprentice
On another note, I've been testing out Down throws to FH Dair --> Uair/Nair/Bair. It's worked pretty well so far against CPU's. I'm gonna try it against a couple of my friends on Thursday/Friday, and I'll let you all know how that goes. Probably gonna record some matches as well those days. Anyone have any thoughts of this combo? I'm looking for mostly follow up suggestions. If it's a fastfalling character, I usually go with Uair, and then go for another grab. With Midweights, I tend to experiment with all of them and afterwards I get some pretty interesting situations (leading into some juicy Dsmashes). And with lightweights, I really don't attempt this since they would float to high from the initial Down throw.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
The way I practiced my bair and uair waveland is just bair or uair instantly after u jump so the move is finished on ur way up so u can waveland right after tricky at first but is really easy once u get it down I play mindgames with it all the time also bair>waveland>pivot dsmash is a good finish along with uair>waveland>fsmash goodluck with your mario!
I just discovered the Mario can cover every tech option with one fireball and get a grab. I did it a a local tournament. I was so happy with the results. Tell me why Mario feels so good in this game?

Jasou

Smash Ace
Yeah, he's still pretty darn awesome in 3.0. The only changes that should be noted I guess is the minor (effective) nerf to his fair with a lot of the stages getting an increased ceiling. It still kills really well though, so it's almost unnoticeable and Mario is harder to kill to so it's not much of an effective nerf. The F-smash change was pretty cool too.

What do you guys feel about the Mewtwo and Roy matchups? Atm, I can handle them really well, but once people get an understanding for those characters I feel it will be 2 new tricky match ups for Mario to deal with. Roy b/c disjointed hitboxes and Mewtwo because long hitboxes and nair has good range and comes out fast, making it a good panic move if you screw up timing on certain combos. (I can't determine if down-throw fair works on mewtwo like it does to everyone else, I've only played vs note worthy mewtwo on wifi and have never been able to land the fair after down-throw anymore when he nairs. So I don't know if it's lag that's making him able to nair)

Also, not to forget the doc skin. It's the most dabes buff ever.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Yeah, he's still pretty darn awesome in 3.0. The only changes that should be noted I guess is the minor (effective) nerf to his fair with a lot of the stages getting an increased ceiling. It still kills really well though, so it's almost unnoticeable and Mario is harder to kill to so it's not much of an effective nerf. The F-smash change was pretty cool too.

What do you guys feel about the Mewtwo and Roy matchups? Atm, I can handle them really well, but once people get an understanding for those characters I feel it will be 2 new tricky match ups for Mario to deal with. Roy b/c disjointed hitboxes and Mewtwo because long hitboxes and nair has good range and comes out fast, making it a good panic move if you screw up timing on certain combos. (I can't determine if down-throw fair works on mewtwo like it does to everyone else, I've only played vs note worthy mewtwo on wifi and have never been able to land the fair after down-throw anymore when he nairs. So I don't know if it's lag that's making him able to nair)

Also, not to forget the doc skin. It's the most dabes buff ever.
Roy is pretty similar to Marth except his shffl game is a little harder to get around. One thing Mario definitely has on Roy is combo's and edge guards. Mewtwo I'm not sure about.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
(I can't determine if down-throw fair works on mewtwo like it does to everyone else, I've only played vs note worthy mewtwo on wifi and have never been able to land the fair after down-throw anymore when he nairs. So I don't know if it's lag that's making him able to nair)
I'd have a look at the data myself if I could, I don't know where frame rate information about each character is stored, if anywhere. I can put a question in the general discussion or ask thread or w/e later, they may have a change log with each character's info posted. I think some character boards already do. With that, I could determine whether n-air comes out on frame 2 or 3 and what the best possible number of frames Mario could reach Mewtwo with a f-air before Mewtwo fires up his n-air.

If n-air comes out at frame 2 like I think it does for Mewtwo, then there's hardly any chance of down-throw f-air working on Mewtwo until higher percents where the hit stun is great enough. I don't know for sure though...

As for general information regarding Mewtwo...

An example of Mewtwo information relevant to this matchup is located here:
"Sparkling" Through Certain Projectiles
First listed is Mario's fireball.

Anyways I'm thinking of helping with matchups on Project M, just like I did with Brawl. I love talking matchups as long as both sides are interested. It may help new players to know more information about each matchup, and have more people not just theory-crafting but actually using the input they're given :)

Jasou

Smash Ace
I'd have a look at the data myself if I could, I don't know where frame rate information about each character is stored, if anywhere. I can put a question in the general discussion or ask thread or w/e later, they may have a change log with each character's info posted. I think some character boards already do. With that, I could determine whether n-air comes out on frame 2 or 3 and what the best possible number of frames Mario could reach Mewtwo with a f-air before Mewtwo fires up his n-air.

If n-air comes out at frame 2 like I think it does for Mewtwo, then there's hardly any chance of down-throw f-air working on Mewtwo until higher percents where the hit stun is great enough. I don't know for sure though...

As for general information regarding Mewtwo...

An example of Mewtwo information relevant to this matchup is located here:
"Sparkling" Through Certain Projectiles
First listed is Mario's fireball.

Anyways I'm thinking of helping with matchups on Project M, just like I did with Brawl. I love talking matchups as long as both sides are interested. It may help new players to know more information about each matchup, and have more people not just theory-crafting but actually using the input they're given :)
That would be awesome to make a matchup thread :D.

Aside from the frame data not available. The fair should be possible after around 82% off of downthrow. Perhaps if the Mewtwo DI'd in front of Mario it would be a bit lower.

And non finished wheel of fortunes seem to be very effective for racking up damage on mewtwo at earlier percents because uairs are fast enough that he can't nair out of them. Down throw starts them up well.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
That would be awesome to make a matchup thread :D.

Aside from the frame data not available. The fair should be possible after around 82% off of downthrow. Perhaps if the Mewtwo DI'd in front of Mario it would be a bit lower.

And non finished wheel of fortunes seem to be very effective for racking up damage on mewtwo at earlier percents because uairs are fast enough that he can't nair out of them. Down throw starts them up well.
I've gotten d throw fair at 90-110 percent but you have to be frame perfect with your dash jump fair or jump fair which I practice a lot.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
some new videos posted on my channel from our recent live streamed smashfest

These are videos of my mario, easily one of my favorite project m characters. I love the plumber.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J7HgT2BGFk&list=PLwkVzVDC0Vy-MrTvw5xUcsYtmATc2PfNt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KalPEsC0DSk&list=PLwkVzVDC0Vy-MrTvw5xUcsYtmATc2PfNt

If you want to support Washington smash and/or 62-bit Gaming - or you want to see more Link in general - please follow, like, and subscribe to the following links!

www.youtube.com/gimpyfish62
www.facebook.com/62bitgaming
www.twitter.com/62bitgaming
www.62bitgaming.tumblr.com

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
In reference to his skill set? No. Only thing that changed was his,skin. And his,pill sound.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
quick question
When i choose Mario with his alt costume (Dr.Mario), does he have any change besides his fireball?
At the moment there's a glitch with Doc's cape where he drops instead of maintaining the same height that Mario would when he uses it in the air. If he tries to cape glide, he goes like a rock instead of doing a long jump.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Guys
How do I beat stupid mk? And what places should I be taking him? I forgot if he gets his kills off the top

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Yea can still kill up top. Use your Dair a lot in short hops and pill/fire spam. Close space with them than Dair onto a grab or jabs+grab/smash. Good way to start.

We will be streaming today around 2pm central time. I'll be playing Doc/Zelda a lot.

http://www.twitch.tv/flashingfire

Jasou

Smash Ace
Do what the irish dude said. As for him killing off the top. If you DI'd poorly last patch he could gimp you in a combo with uair's into up-b on low ceiling stages, but in this patch a lot of the stages got ceiling increases which makes that gimping really unlikely. The ceiling increase also does hurt Mario's fair a bit, but it's honestly so strong still that it's almost unnoticeable.

GeZ

Smash Lord
On another note, I've been testing out Down throws to FH Dair --> Uair/Nair/Bair. It's worked pretty well so far against CPU's. I'm gonna try it against a couple of my friends on Thursday/Friday, and I'll let you all know how that goes. Probably gonna record some matches as well those days. Anyone have any thoughts of this combo? I'm looking for mostly follow up suggestions. If it's a fastfalling character, I usually go with Uair, and then go for another grab. With Midweights, I tend to experiment with all of them and afterwards I get some pretty interesting situations (leading into some juicy Dsmashes). And with lightweights, I really don't attempt this since they would float to high from the initial Down throw.
Dthrow Dair is a bad idea. If you can't kill off of the throw, use the opportunity to push the opponent closer to a ledge. Where Mario can't kill he may still gimp. But his chain grabs have limited use and aerial to regrab won't work on anyone playing at a higher level.

Guys
How do I beat stupid mk? And what places should I be taking him? I forgot if he gets his kills off the top
He's comboable and his recovery is pretty susceptible to getting Bair'd and ledgehogged. Use fireballs intelligently. It makes it a lot harder to retaliate against Mario's approach/ pressure.

I wouldn't recommend the Dair spam or fireball spam mentioned above, as you will be righteously smote by any player with a brain.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Alright, got my own stuffs on how2smack'em
Really, I just assert my authority on him and go for mix ups with my fireballs( like fire ball nair, fire ball grab, fire ball dsmash, fire ball dtilt etc) while I rack up DMG every moment I get the chance. I get really aggressive, attacking him from all sides, till he starts to shield just from my DD. I also punish the dairs, DI up when he down throws me(when you do this you can just jump away from his lameness) cc ez, get some early low percent stuff and just out space him.

What do you guys do against Marth? I'm about to watch some vids and what not, but yea, the more, the merry!
Oh and any tips against mew2? His tail moves are..absurd. I can beat him and all, but it's such a hassle.

Last edited:

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
I don't know if this has been discussed, but would Mario be better having Doc's neutral-air attack as well? When I play as Doc in P:M, I always try to do his Melee N-Air out of habit, but of course it doesn't work since Mario's N-air is so different.

I think it would be cool to have both Mario and Doc's N-airs merged together since the sweet-spots are in different parts of the animation. Or if the ALT Costume engine can make the split N-airs possible between Mario and Doc costumes.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
They won't be changing the moves for alternate customs.

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
They won't be changing the moves for alternate customs.
Then they can do my other idea and merge them. Mario's default N-Air at startup, Doc's N-air at the end of the animation. I like Doc's because it's unique in that the strong hit happens when the animation is about to end.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I doubt it. Mario hasn't been changed for a minute, if ya know what I mean. They may or may not consider it, it's not for me to say.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering if you guys had any more in-depth tips on how to Uair juggle with Mario. Is there a specific part of the move that you need to connect with? Do I need to be direclty below the enemy as I connect to continue the combo? Is Uair juggling only a good idea against certain characters? Too often it feels like I'm lagging behind when I try to pull this combo. Thanks in advance!

The_Enlightenment_

Banned via Warnings
I was wondering if you guys had any more in-depth tips on how to Uair juggle with Mario. Is there a specific part of the move that you need to connect with? Do I need to be direclty below the enemy as I connect to continue the combo? Is Uair juggling only a good idea against certain characters? Too often it feels like I'm lagging behind when I try to pull this combo. Thanks in advance!
Allow me to enlighten you, mario has a very quick uair and bair which allow him to finish mid air and fast fall without taking end lag. If you try l canceling you might interfere you your momentum with the sheild input, and the fact that you dont need to worry about as many button presses allows you to input uairs faster. Unfortunately mario is using his inferior melee uair rather than docs which combod better, but as long as you always hit with the front of his feet or the back if they are behind you then you should be able to land it consistently

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Oh wow, learned something new. PMBR been slackin with the fusion.

Top Bottom