• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Piranha Plant Opinion Thread - Official #PlantGang suburbs.

Plant?

• Plant!

• Plant.

• Plant...

• Plant?

• pLaNt.

• PLANT!

Results are only viewable after voting.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Okay, so Plant. It's a plant, and it fights now (?!). His announcement has come and gone, and needless to say, the #PlantGang is still as strong as it was since he became playable. Through a wild turn of events, a "generic" Mario enemy has mad their way into the Smash Ultimate roster. And we as a community are, for the most part, ecstatic.
But is The Plant all that good? I mean the side-special deals ungodly amounts of damage, sure, but anybody can simply walk hop out of it. (Piranha Plant doesn't have legs, sorry. It has roots, so it hops. Just disconfirming the theory here.) It has a neutral-special projectile, which is never a bad thing, but it just doesn't have the distance to be used for offensive purposes, unless you're edge guarding. It's up special has a hitbox in the middle of it's body rather than the top, so it is still vulnerable to spiking. It's down-special may have range, but it my opinion, the amount of effort it takes to angle it's neck isn't worth the output. But then again, I'm not a pro player, so I could be wrong.
But then we will need to address Piranha Plant from an inclusion standpoint. It is easily the wild card character nobody saw coming, and could also be the "wtf" character that players have speculated would appear in some form as they have in the past. Petey Piranha as a final smash really makes Piranha Plant a good representative for Super Mario Sunshine, in a manner of how Rosalina & Luma rep the Galaxy franchise. No matter how you slice it, Piranha Plant is a... unique fighter, to say the least. I do remember the outrage after the Great Assist Deconfirmation when Piranha Plant was announced in spite of showcasing fan favorites (RIP Isaac) as Assist Trophies. There will always be divisiveness in Piranha Plant's past.
So what do you all think about having this potted Piranha as a new Smash fighter? Do you think it's inclusion was well deserved? Should the wild card/wtf slot have gone to another character, or are you excited that a Piranha Plant is in the game? Were you one of the 3 people that voted for him in the Smash Ballot and are mind-blown for his inclusion? Were you completely dumbfounded at its inclusion because he wasn't on your top 1000 fighter list? Needless to say, Piranha Plant is incredibly unlike any fighter we have seen in the past. PP doesn't even have legs, yet it still manages. A majority of the cast can be thrown into a category of Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner. Sakurai, I request you implement a Mii Plant this instant! This the thread to share your thoughts about Piranha Plant being a fighter Smash Ultimate, as well as what you think about his moveset and the way he plays.

Last edited:

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Oh yeah, so hype for Piranha plant. Looks very viable too, hope he's tournament legal. Should be a little higher than top tier. (Just a little)

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
He’s the joke character. You cant be mad at the joke character.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
With the characters I already really wanted already confirmed earlier I ran into this direct with no expectations and excitement, I didn't expect PP, but now that he's in I can't imagine not playing him. He's so dumb I love him already

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Being a Waluigi fan, I expected to be let down that one of the minions in the Mario series got in over him, that said...this is the best WTF character since Wii Fit Trainer, I couldn't believe my eyes, I'm so excited to play as a Piranha Plant!!!

Really awesome move tbh, I'm glad it wasnt spoiled or even talked about.

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
I'm always a fan of munching on my opponents.

KatKit

Smash Lord
My reaction:

You just know that somebody somewhere always wanted him in more than anything else, and they got clowned on for their undying support. Congrats, whoever you are. I, however, did not see this coming, and I love it. He's unique and hilarious and completely unexpected.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i was wrong i can still be surprised by character inclusions

not a great representative of the mario series

still looks fun to play as and is free so ill defiantly get it

Brosheep

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brosheep
3DS FC
4725-7941-8345
Looks quite unique. Very unorthodox pick, certainly not something people would've expected. Quite curious to experience how this character will play!
Also, this was the most I've laughed at a character reveal yet. Love it.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
I was surprised that he can even move, let alone fight. Like. What’s it been doing against Mario after all these years? Like. Slide.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
While I could be mad at them stealing dev time from a more "worthy" character, I don't care.

PP seems to be them saying, "Who would be a good joke character?... a potted plant!" If he stole anyone's spot, it's another joke character, like Wobbuffet or Magikarp. With Sakurai wanting a joke character (presumably), the spot had to be filled by someone, and PP is pretty funny.

D

Deleted member

Unironically looks like the coolest and most unique newcomer. And I was already so hyped for most of the newcomers that I’m going to main most of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Piranha Plant? Sakurai confirms Ken and Incineroar as the last two newcomers in the base roster, tells us about a Fighter Pass that would give us five new characters that each comes with their own stage, and announces a generic Mario enemy plant as the first DLC fighter. That doesn't make sense. We already have eight Mario characters which is enough to fill a match, meaning you would have to leave someone out of your Mario-themed match when Piranha Plant comes as the ninth character. And what stage would Piranha Plant come with? We already have New Donk City as a new Mario stage and we have 17 returning Mario stages. That's 18 Mario stages total! If the DLC characters come with stages, I would expect them to be from new series, since we only got two new series represented in the base roster (Splatoon and Castlevania) and we want this to be the most ambitious crossover. And even if they wanted to add a new Mario character for DLC, Geno would have been a much better choice because he's been requested so much and Cloud's inclusion shows that Square is involved, and people have Forest Maze as an idea for Geno's stage. Piranha Plant, what a waste. Should have been an Assist Trophy.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
"The Grinch leak is real for sure" my man Piranha Plant disagrees. Guess that means Verg was right, but at least all the others were wrong. Piranha Plant is unironically one of the best newcomers.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
I believe Piranha Plant is more of a "buy early get this character free" sort of deal, doesn't look like he counts as one of the last 5 DLC characters

Dig Dug

Chronic Lurker
If we were to get a generic Mario enemy, my preferred pick was always Boo, but this is fine too. Better, even. I'm really looking forward to trying him out.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Piranha Plant? Sakurai confirms Ken and Incineroar as the last two newcomers in the base roster, tells us about a Fighter Pass that would give us five new characters that each comes with their own stage, and announces a generic Mario enemy plant as the first DLC fighter. That doesn't make sense. We already have eight Mario characters which is enough to fill a match, meaning you would have to leave someone out of your Mario-themed match when Piranha Plant comes as the ninth character. And what stage would Piranha Plant come with? We already have New Donk City as a new Mario stage and we have 17 returning Mario stages. That's 18 Mario stages total! If the DLC characters come with stages, I would expect them to be from new series, since we only got two new series represented in the base roster (Splatoon and Castlevania) and we want this to be the most ambitious crossover. And even if they wanted to add a new Mario character for DLC, Geno would have been a much better choice because he's been requested so much and Cloud's inclusion shows that Square is involved, and people have Forest Maze as an idea for Geno's stage. Piranha Plant, what a waste. Should have been an Assist Trophy.
And people like to complain about too many Fire Emblem Characters :V

And if we do get Geno, then that’ll be hilarious.

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
Looks fantastic, just the right combination of jank and straight up fun. The character none of us knew we wanted. Definitely picking him up as a secondary when he comes out.

Oh yeah, so hype for Piranha plant. Looks very viable too, hope he's tournament legal. Should be a little higher than top tier. (Just a little)
You can't post this with that profile pic and not expect me to read it in a sarcastic voice.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
This and K. Rool are my favorite reveals during this cycle tbh

I'm maining Inkling, but Piranha Plant will also see extensive use from me lol

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm still kind of in shock, to be honest. Like, I think of Smash, and then I think about the fact that Piranha Plant will be a playable fighter in Smash, and I struggle to reconcile the two in my head. It's weird, and I suspect I'll have a hard time taking it seriously unless/until it ends up being an actual threat ingame.

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
Having unique characters is cool and all, don't get me wrong, but a faceless enemy from the Mario-series in a roster full of Nintendo's and Gaming's greatest icons? It'll take some time before I fully digested that...

Scipion3

Smash Cadet
One character that I have always really wanted (but never talked about due to his size) is Petey Piranha (to represent Super Mario Sunshine how Rosalina is representing the Super Mario Galaxy series).
However, I never expected in my wildest dreams that he would appear, and I believe it is safe to say that a single Piranha Plant was never that high on anybody's radar for Smash characters, if at all. He is still in development, and we haven't seen all that much gameplay of Piranha Plant in action as of now.
So far, Piranha Plant is easily the wild card character nobody saw coming, and could also be the "wtf" character that players have speculated would appear in some form as they have in the past. No matter how you slice it, Piranha Plant is a... unique fighter, to say the least. It cannot walk, it hops.
So what do you all think about having this potted Piranha as a new Smash fighter? Do you think it was deserved? Should the wild card/wtf slot have gone to another character, or are you excited that a Piranha Plant is in the game? Were you one of the 3 people that voted for him in the Smash Ballot and are ecstatic for his inclusion? Were you completely dumbfounded at its inclusion because he wasn't on your top 100 fighter list? This the thread to share your thoughts about Piranha Plant being a fighter Smash Ultimate.
OHOHOHOHO NOOO!!
If you analyse it's trailer, you can see that the plant have tiny feets under the pot

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Having unique characters is cool and all, don't get me wrong, but a faceless enemy from the Mario-series in a roster full of Nintendo's and Gaming's greatest icons? It'll take some time before I fully digested that...
I would argue that the piranha plant is very much so an icon in gaming, although with that being said pretty much every Mario character is an icon. Even as a generic baddy, they've had personality for a good while too which is a plus.

Sassy plant boi is the best newcomer this time around alongside K Rool and Ridley imo

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
lmao @ myself hating Goomba as a playable character in Mario Party and yet loving Piranha Plant in Smash.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I was pleasantly surprised by PP. It looks really fun. Without frame data I can't say how good it'll be competitively.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
If Piranha Plant doesn't count toward the fighter pass, that's good because we should get newcomers from new series and a DLC pack shouldn't be wasted on a Mario character. And if each pack is $5.99 individually (which would equal $29.95 together) and the fighter pass is $24.99, you'd save four dollars when you buy the fighter pass. But if Piranha Plant counted and he's offered as a free deal, it wouldn't make sense to buy the fighter pass for $24.99 when you can buy the fighters separately for $23.96. You'd be spending an extra dollar on a combo pack deal when the point of a combo deal is to be cheaper.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
The only newcomer that I wanted before was Incineroar.

But if I could go back in time, I would have been a supporter too.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
At first I was like really Piranha Plant? Are you serious? But then I was like ohhhhh Piranha Plant looks kind of fun.

Master of Fire

Smash Cadet
I actually really like the idea of adding Piranha Plant as a surprise character. His trailer was my favorite part of the direct (along with the World of Light trailer).

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
I, for one, welcome our new leafy overlord.

But for real, I was so shocked and amused when Piranha Plant showed up. I think it's great they went with an outside the box, totally unexpected character.

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
after Waluigi failed to get in would have prefered Mauser or Wart as the next mario character but at least Piranha Plant have a nice move set and great animations.

Last edited:

Smithn

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4332 5240 6154
It looks really fun, and comes with the bonus of not being as animation-intensive as other characters so it makes sense as an early buyer incentive. Also a good way to get Petey in the fight in some way (and honestly I prefer this to Petey because it looks so unique).

Top Bottom