• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Piranha Plant Opinion Thread - Official #PlantGang suburbs.

Plant?

• Plant!

• Plant.

• Plant...

• Plant?

• pLaNt.

• PLANT!

Results are only viewable after voting.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Piranha Plant? Sakurai confirms Ken and Incineroar as the last two newcomers in the base roster, tells us about a Fighter Pass that would give us five new characters that each comes with their own stage, and announces a generic Mario enemy plant as the first DLC fighter. That doesn't make sense. We already have eight Mario characters which is enough to fill a match, meaning you would have to leave someone out of your Mario-themed match when Piranha Plant comes as the ninth character. And what stage would Piranha Plant come with? We already have New Donk City as a new Mario stage and we have 17 returning Mario stages. That's 18 Mario stages total! If the DLC characters come with stages, I would expect them to be from new series, since we only got two new series represented in the base roster (Splatoon and Castlevania) and we want this to be the most ambitious crossover. And even if they wanted to add a new Mario character for DLC, Geno would have been a much better choice because he's been requested so much and Cloud's inclusion shows that Square is involved, and people have Forest Maze as an idea for Geno's stage. Piranha Plant, what a waste. Should have been an Assist Trophy.
Heres the thing though: Nintendo put plant in the game because they wanted to. It was a passion project. Say what you will, but piranha plant is an icon in games. Perhaps this particular one eolved past others, allowing it access to abilities that are usually spread across several different species? Who knows. One thing I do know is that its not all about fan service. Gamers just think that everything is about them.

Monollock

Smash Rookie
I came here for the answer to one question. His Neutral B. How to you beat it, it is the only none super armor or counter move in the game that I can think of, where you get punished for hitting the user. How do you beat it? any kind of lag after the move, forward smashes where the whole character moves forward is an example and you'll get hit by it unless you space unreasonable specifically.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
You need to wait for the plant to launch the Ptooie, preferably over your head, or avoid it or shield, or you need to use moves that don't put you underneath it. There are plenty of attacks that won't result in your getting hit by it. For Falcon, for example, I bet that f-tilt and d-tilt work. Go into training and set the plant CPU to use neutral B and experiment.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I came here for the answer to one question. His Neutral B. How to you beat it, it is the only none super armor or counter move in the game that I can think of, where you get punished for hitting the user. How do you beat it? any kind of lag after the move, forward smashes where the whole character moves forward is an example and you'll get hit by it unless you space unreasonable specifically.
Either run up and grab and immediately throw to abuse invincibility frames or run up and charge a Smash attack for free

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
(That's the whole secret)

Regardless of how long the ptooie is charged, there is always going to be a gap between Piranha Plant and the Ptooie. Even at the shortest range, you can still get past the hitbox. From there, go into a grab. At least, that's what works for me.

Grambles

Smash Cadet
I get tons out of Poison Cloud, even if it doesn't damage anyone. Love it. Plant's Up B on the other hand...

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I get tons out of Poison Cloud, even if it doesn't damage anyone. Love it. Plant's Up B on the other hand...
Do you ever release the poison cloud not at full charge? Like I use the fully charged poison cloud and go straight into a grab, but I find that there aren't many extra uses beyond that for offense, as the opponents can just pass through. You know?

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
I half charge the poison or even just use uncharged so I can spam poison more
I like to think poison as an area of "pls dont go here". People will use different options to get out of poison as fast as possible or at least take the least amount of damage that can be easily taken advantage of, which is why I like having as much of it out as possible while also spitting small clouds with short timers so i can spit somewhere else quickly as the opponent is almost always mobile. Tho sometimes if I want big damage or if the opponent is going to a predictable spot i.e. recovering to ledge then Ill use full charge poison

Top Bottom