• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pikachu Forum Directory - New to Pika? Start Here!

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Blue, I'll be at VC8. :) Just look for the..... only black girl there with a controller, lol.

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman
I'll wear a nametag since being a white guy with spikey hair won't narrow it down as much ;P

If you know any of the people from PolyTech crew I'll be with them the whole time.

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
Leaf., can you change the "Maintained by Zeroxius" above the Zero Squared Texture Database link to "Maintained by Rakurai" please? Thanks a million! =D

Roller

Smash Legend
I wish I could be back in NJ for viridian City... =/

We'll have to play over winter/summer break or something though (while I'm back in NJ). Always cool to meet more pikas. I also have another pika (MXXD) in my hometown, who I smash with occasionally. We should have like, a pikafest sometime. =P

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman
Well since I can't go to VC8 as much as I wanted to, I'll spend tomorrow practicing Pika, and Diddy for a bit. Just learned glidetossing with Diddy but can't ****ing do it with Pika for some reason. o.e

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Pika's glide toss is different than most characters'.

Ok, so I tested this at 1/4 speed again. I suspected it before but Im pretty certain that its true now, Pikachus glide toss sweet spot is done at the initial frame of the roll. I've tested this with other characters so far and havent found any so far to have an initial frame sweet spot.

Normal Glide toss
(shortest) (normal) (long) (longer) (longest)

Pikachus
(sweetspot)(shortest)(normal)(long)(second longest)

It could be the case that other characters have some weird arrangment that Im unaware of like
(shortest) (normal) (sweetspot) (long) (second longest)
or maybe the timings tougher for them? Idk, if they do happen to have one pikachus is incredibly easier to do by comparison.

Having the initial frame sweet spot is pretty cool for a few reasons. One it makes it relatively easy to do (not much harder then an IC chainthrow). Secondly, it completely seperates pikachus longest and second longest glide toss. Although the more i test it the more I realize pikachus second longest glide toss is very poor in comparison.
The "sweetspot" (the frame window for when you'll get the longest slide) for his is during the initial frames of his roll, not near the middle of the roll like it is for a lot of characters.

EDIT: The actual frames from Prime's frame data:

K Prime said:
Glide Toss
*This is the frame number during a roll you must throw the item in order to glide toss.
Normal Glide Toss: 3-5
Super Glide Toss: 2

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I think it should be mentioned somewhere that holding Up+B for a shorter amount of time will decrease QA's distance (maybe it is but I can't find it :x)

Also there is a way to reverse an aerial thunder that has momentum and jump backwards at the same time, you input thunder then directly move (not rotate) the control stick to the opposite upper diagonal of the direction you faced originally. The timing and angle is very strict. (Probably only works with tap jump.) I'm not sure if this is in a guide already, if it is then I apologize for wasting time.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Can you change the name of the research thread to The PokéLab: Pikachu Research Thread and change the owner to me?

If you want, you can also take the frame data and hitbubble threads out since they're both included in the research OP now.

Thanks.

DolphinBrick

Smash Rookie
Does anyone kn ow what a good button config for Pikachu is?
My main problem is I want to be able to utilt properly. Whenveer I try I either jump or I start charging a smash. Then when I play tilt stick, It's annoying because it's harder to dsmash OoS and do sliding usmashes. What do MOST Pika's use? Do you just have to get used to not jumping or is it always a problem?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Either one is fine. With tap jump on, you have to get used to tilting the control stick more precisely (or holding it up from another action before you need to utilt) to prevent jumping; with tap jump off, that's not a problem.

If you're charging a usmash, you're slamming the control stick up too far. It's just a tilt, not a smash.... you don't have to move the control stick up that far.

There's no good or bad button configuration..... whatever works best for you is fine.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
i like tap of brick. it helps with ur tilts alot imo. also, its important to remember that brawl is like all about buffering, so u can jump or do an arial or anything and buffer the direction while somethng else is happening so that youll be able to have it ready to tilt, which will avoid the usmash problem.

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman
So I've been incorporating QA into my playstyle a lot more than I have in the past. For example I could be fair/dair'ing for spacing then suddenly QA towards my opponent and try to get a T2. I want more options that are faster though in case that gets predicted.

I'd like to know if I can grab/pivot grab someone out of a quick attack as quickly as I can thunder or at least around the same amount of time. Along with that is it possible to do my tilts quickly out of a QA?

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
blue: if u dont do a b move or aerial out of qa you will get the landing lag. its impossible to get a lagless tilt/smash/grab of any kind out of a qa, ull have to take the landing lag first. you CAN bait tho, like qa to someone and uair them, then qa again below them and bait them to airdodge and usmash them, because in the time it takes for you to land and usmash, their dodge will have ended.

you can see a good example of this if you watch Volt Storm on youtube. he does it in a match v a jiggz on smashville, its the only match he has v jiggz on sv so check it out!

edit: heres the vid lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHzUMlqiQ1Y

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman
blue: if u dont do a b move or aerial out of qa you will get the landing lag. its impossible to get a lagless tilt/smash/grab of any kind out of a qa, ull have to take the landing lag first. you CAN bait tho, like qa to someone and uair them, then qa again below them and bait them to airdodge and usmash them, because in the time it takes for you to land and usmash, their dodge will have ended.

you can see a good example of this if you watch Volt Storm on youtube. he does it in a match v a jiggz on smashville, its the only match he has v jiggz on sv so check it out!

edit: heres the vid lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHzUMlqiQ1Y
Yeah, I was trying it with a couple of people (tilt/grabs/smashes out of QA...no success). Thanks for the vid ^^ By the aroujd 3:15 was a really nice KO. =]

Top Bottom