• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pichu Video Thread

Goast

Smash Journeyman
We definitely should. I actually don't think I've ever really played smash in cleveland though. Are there any local tourneys?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
uh yea. I'd link you, but I'm on my 3ds xP

if you go to console tournament listings -> midwest you can see it (its called WTCA)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
meh, doesn't really matter. You're still "collage age" and I don't think they are really enforcing that too much... as long as you don't look like you're 40.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
It was a joke :S

and no, I'm not very familiar with Pika anymore. I stopped using him like a long time ago.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Its not. Thats just the assumption due to lack of evidence (pika does horrible, therefore; pichu does even worse)

I discussed this with VaNz awhile ago and we agreed that it was about 70-30.
I think this is the only matchup where pichu does better than pika.

From and IC standpoint; pichu is harder to combo. Dthrow chaingrab with sopo works until 60, and pichu dies earlier, but they have trouble doing other combos to him because he's light as balls.

Pichu's aerials are also a bit faster than Pika's, which keeps him safer.

He doesnt have pika's dsmash, but his fsmash will desync them as well.

Pichu's jolts are also better.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Hmmm... Do they actually CG to kill percent?
60 was just a number i through out.

Regardless, they do the same to pika.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Yeah, exactly. He needs more exposure so ppl can at least start seeing some of the stuff he has. I'm not one of those who think Pichu's top tier or anything ridiculous like that, but at least he might gain some popularity if we can get some material out and ppl start realizing he's actually got some freakin useful tools... :lick:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Just 2 pages, ONE video... What? I've got a disability and don't have the fingers to rep Pichu or I'd get on this. What's going on Pichu people?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Nobody plays the character anymore rofl.
I switched mains like 2 or three years ago now, and ICG never recorded anyway. We were like the only two who actually recorded anything.
I should still have some old ass pichu videos on my old youtube account

Cheebs

Smash Apprentice
People still play Pichu, there's a tourny coming up where I can try to get some recordings. If I can i'll post them up

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
People still play Pichu, there's a tourny coming up where I can try to get some recordings. If I can i'll post them up
I'd be playing Pichu, I just can't be fast enough with my fingers anymore, darn being disabled... Still, I'd love to see this boarrd come to life again, maybe it's needs the kinda love I'm working with on the G&W forum. somebody step up!

AND THE OP IS MINE!!! And now the Pichu Video Thread is updated for 2014!!! What do you all think? Let's get some new stuff in there if we can :)

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yooooo neoh/pgh is where its at <3

first things first: why did you strike to yoshi's?
with striking you pretty much always want to go to battlefield.

you are getting stuck above marth a lot. it's pretty hard to get down once you're up there, so try to work on not fullhopping or getting trapped on platforms. if marth is uptilting you through a platform, shield drop nair is op.
be careful with your bairs, a lot of times I have no idea why you are pulling them out. bair is good, but not on shields or when you're falling with it.

be very careful on the ledge, you like to ledge hop nair a lot, which is pretty bad against marth because he'll just wd back->fsmash.

for the most part you just gotta work on your movement and your spacing. try to use retreating jolts a lot more against marth.

just keep practicing the movement, you can be a lot faster than you are playing.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I thought the lower ceiling would help up smash kill earlier.

Those full hops were mostly because I'm not really used to Melee yet. Same things with the back airs; they were meant to be neutral airs.

Thanks for the advice.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yeah I can understand wanting the early usmash kill, but yoshi's vs marth in general is a pretty awful idea.
he traps you over the platform easily and kills suuuper fast.

My stages of choice are generally battlefield (my overall favorite stage for pichu), dreamland, and FD.
In the matchup having a solid jolt game is really important. Every time marth jumps in the air to use and aerial, you want to intercept him with a retreating full hop jolt.

jolts keep him on the ground and lock force him into shield, they are really good.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=inC5lhTKef8&rdm=15gmrl626&client=mv-google

If anybody cares about some video of me getting destroyed by a Marth.

Feel free to yell at me about what I did wrong.
Just some fundamentals. Always try to end up behind your opponent after a move. You kept nairing and landing right in front of him so he could grab. Its ok to nair in front of him but be sure to end up behind him.

Unfortunately it seems that nair Oos is pichus only Oos option and with any smart marth player they will space out their moves so you can never get the chance to nair Oos. So basically try not to get in shield i guess lol

Spacing is soooo important in this game. Just use wavedash to make marth whiff and then you can punish. Jumping up to threaten marth actually backfires against you, because you don't have any moves that can do anything in the air when your opponent is at a distance. Like I said just wavedash like crazy, that is your best spacing option its quick and you can pull a move when appropiate.

Btw b/c i watched this I learned that Upsmash is a great bait so thanks for that

I am trying to pick up pichu as my second main, have only played a little as pichu. enough to realize nair, up air, neutral b, and the recovery are good.

P.S. perfect agility looks good, but just learned it so idk how you could have used against marth

Edit: Hey look at that someone that does what I was talking about. Check out unknown vs ??? on the first page. He has good fundamentals and know some good followups, I rly hope there are others that havent been discovered yet

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Thanks, though I've actually noticed that too, looking back. Probably should have said this, but that was literally my day 3 pichu/me playing the game, so my tech skill was pretty lol and I wasn't that familiar with the game.

Yeah you could see that it was working ar first but then he started wavedashing back and waiting for me to whiff and that's when sh@t (kirby) hit the fan.

Eh, rolling and wavedash are okay. wavedash to headbutt

Nice to see that I helped~

Yeah there are some vids on youtube, but I stopped watching them a long time ago, since they're reallllly old, so just keep that in mind.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Cool =)

1) http://youtu.be/2Hb3uGdU0ns?t=1h18m54s

For now...some other stuff coming soon I think...
you have the right idea, it's mostly just little stuff you could work on, like I have no idea how you kept getting away with fair from the ledge, that **** is so unsafe, but w/e.
I really liked your use of invincibility frames with dsmash on the platform, that's one of my favorite things to do. Fair resets are also pretty o.p. but everyone forgets they exist.

anyway, the two biggest things I saw were these:
1. way too many missed edgeguards
particularly against sheik, the other games ive watched so far it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue, but with sheik holding ledge is super strong, but you can also fsmash right at the ledge if you know she's going there and if she doesn't have invincibility it intercepts her and can kill at super low percent. Ftilt will work too, but the timing is more specific and they can tech it if they SDI in (so mix up those three options)

2. stage control/position
being by the ledge is cool, since you can just bthrow **** to death, but it's really not a great place for pichu most of the time. you seemed pretty good at realizing when you were losing control, and regained your position, but you would give up control a lot, which can be really difficult for pichu to take back at times.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
lol m2k's Pichu is so lazy.
But that's just m2k in general these days I guess.

I don't think I've ever seen tekk's pichu before, it's actually pretty cool. It looks a lot like mine, but with less gimmicky ****.
I really like the way he uses fair to intercept raptor boost, it's actually a little more guaranteed than nair because of the range.
Bair is actually pretty good for that too.

Top Bottom