• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Pichu Paradigm - a comprehensive guide to Pichu mastery--UPDATE! 5-30-07

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
that would make sense...
But I posted that a long time ago...
so yea...

thanks anyway :S

@sephiroth:
THAT IS A BAD WAY TO PLAY. Yea, your electric moves hurt you a bit, but you shouldn't be worrying to much about self damage whenever you are playing. Focus on using the best move in a given situation.
In the end, you won't be hurting yourself too much anyways, because times to use self damaging moves don't come up often (other than jolts and agility). You don't want to limit yourself because certain moves damage yourself.

That said, its better for thunder to miss you because it doesn't hurt you, but it also has less lag, allowing you to follow up more easily. Or if a character with a reflector reflects it, it won't put you in a horrible position (you really don't need thunder too often though, just as a follow up to usmash or for setting up edgeguards, on occasion)
Thanks. I'll work on my play style and keep taking tips. Im hoping to get really good with Pichu because I think he's so cool. I never really consider how much damage I actually end up taking from my electric attacks.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
*wishes there was no such thing as edge-guarding*

seriousely, I may not follow alot of the rules, but I can KO w/o the need to low-life/edge-guard
(try being epic instead of being an A)

other than that though, this guide looks decently legit :)

kingPiano

Smash Ace
*wishes there was no such thing as edge-guarding*

seriousely, I may not follow alot of the rules, but I can KO w/o the need to low-life/edge-guard
(try being epic instead of being an A)

other than that though, this guide looks decently legit :)
If you're against ledge guarding then you must be a terrible Pichu. He's got one of the best recoveries in the game (it's easy and unpredictable) and he has an outstanding edge guard game: Thunder, Jolt, run off agility, going deep with nairs/bairs/fairs, up smash on ledge, ledge drop nairs/bairs, D and U tilt + Nair, F smash....ledge-guarding is one of the only aspects that can make him viable. He can gimp almost every kind of recovery and if you're skilled enough just takes one back throw off stage to end a stock.

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
If you're against ledge guarding then you must be a terrible Pichu.
if playing TAS-style makes me a terrible player then I accept
He's got one of the best recoveries in the game (it's easy and unpredictable) and he has an outstanding edge guard game: Thunder, Jolt, run off agility, going deep with nairs/bairs/fairs, up smash on ledge, ledge drop nairs/bairs, D and U tilt + Nair, F smash....ledge-guarding is one of the only aspects that can make him viable. He can gimp almost every kind of recovery and if you're skilled enough just takes one back throw off stage to end a stock.
I'm guessing you favor winning more than looking epic while winning

I like giving people a chance to kill me before brutally murdering them :p

I just like making the fight look about as epic as a good anime battle (like TASers do), and of course winning while doing it. :p

kingPiano

Smash Ace
if playing TAS-style makes me a terrible player then I accept

I'm guessing you favor winning more than looking epic while winning

I like giving people a chance to kill me before brutally murdering them :p

I just like making the fight look about as epic as a good anime battle (like TASers do), and of course winning while doing it. :p
Whelp you're quite a character I'll give ya that.

But this is a guide thread and Pichu's edge hogging is about the only thing that can help him against broken characters like Falco, Fox and Marth (their only weakness is recovery). And if you don't guard ledge on an IC player then you might as well consider your entry fee a donation for any tournament you enter.

Any win with Pichu is already epic enough on it's own merit. And the moment it says "GAME!" you snap a photo of your opponents face, that look of confusion and disbelief as they try and figure out how they are going to tell their wife and kids that they lost to a Pichu.

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
I do agree, simply winning with him is hard enough ;)
I guess I let my own pompus attitude about Pichu get ahead of me because I love him so much :p
sry bout that.

but I hate edge-guarding and basically anything cheap.

I understand the extreme competitive tourneys, and if I ever get my way,
douchy competitive play such as edge guarding will hurt your chances of winning.

may I mention I'm currently designing my own smash game just to bamf douchy play styles such as edge-guarding and chain-grabbing. :)
I'm hoping it becomes as popular as PM ;)

EDIT:
for example, smash4's edge system was pure amazing ^_^
except they took it too far with the 4x grab thing. >3<

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I think edgeguarding is one of the coolest things in melee (most of the time).
With pichu, you really have to take whatever you can get anyway. You can look cool doing it. I like to think my Pichu is cool while still being pretty optimal for the most part.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I actually updated this guide, fixing a lot of information and adding in a little bit more.
Only took 15 years :172:

Top Bottom