• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Pichu Matchup Thread

EZえん

Smash Apprentice
also pichu nair is not really disjoint (especially compared to the back of yoshi's nair?) Also Air Dashdancing yes. Double jump lets u chainge velocity in an instant and bait/dodge in the air like a dash dance does on the ground. Yoshi is also not running on the ground much, his wave dash is extremely good compared to most characters (including pichu obv). And yoshis short hop nair probably does cover about 1/3 of FD, but thats not really an impressive (nor useful) feat to measure by

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Pichu can exploit Yoshi's poor recovery pretty well. Even if they doublejump your UpB is usually fast enough to beat them to the ledge.

:pichumelee: 55 - 45 :yoshimelee:
or
:pichumelee: 50 - 50 :yoshimelee:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Man.... I play pichu, You don't even know how his best move works. Just stop pichu, s nair is disjointed I use it to run over ffers approaches

Beating yoshi to the edge doesn't matter if nothing can stop him from recovering besides upair, which is questionable

Pichu has an edge in the neutral game, he doesn't beat yoshi, but it isn't a terrible match-up when I body most local sheik players

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Yoshi straight bonks pichu what is even happening in this topic?
You have to be hella tricky in the mu and try to bait him into doing something, but he can just react.
Pichu has really really bad responses to yoshi's defensive game.
You can nair and uair through eggs, but those aren't the problem in the matchup.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I did decent back in the day vs vman even if he was overhyped some. I mean yoshi shouldn't be able to stop Your cross ups other than with bair or ground moves and slowly poking at the yosh eye is how You do it while abusing Your dd, stuffing approaches, and general basic ***** stuff. For sure yoshi wins. But i really don't think pichu beats anyone in melee anymore, but he doesn't have an amazing neutral vs most of the cast, just a near worthless punishment that ruins his approach by slowly making it easier and easier to predict, even Your tricks

PsychoSoldier

Smash Cadet
Since I'm too lazy to quote:
A person who I play against fairly often mains Marth and he eventually stopped using JCgrab because it didnt work "at least 90% of the time". Because of this I was able to beat his grab with my own (because marth ducks forward in his dash grab). It's become pretty difficult with a marth that has mastered movement like he has... but my eyes have gotten fairl used to the difference between the dash and the starting frames of the dash grab.

Also, in response to the op , why would I do a PA to grab marth after a fsmash if I can just wavedash OOS? I assume this is if it's a tipper and you would need the extra distance. I'm never really that far away and I'm pretty sure pichu's wavedash is about the same distance as marths f-smash (and if you wdoos immediately you should be able to grab arm before he stops leaning - if it's not a tiiper usually you'd be able to grab/aerial oos)
Give me mind food

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I'm going to give scattered bits of information on the MUs that I feel aren't covered as well or are outdated concerning Derf's descriptions, as well as some stuff that's clearly my opinion but w/e (things like stages). By the way, I'm going to steal your highlighting too DerfMidWest DerfMidWest .

I'm not going to bother with spacies or Falcon much since the descriptions in the OP sum everything that you need to know up nicely. The only thing that's missing is that spacies love to CC shine and kill us from that.

:marthmelee:

Battlefield and Dreamland are your best bets. BF has perfect platform positions for movement, which you can use to approach him at different angles or camp. The platforms are also amazing for extending combos from up throw. You can get things like up throw > up air > edge cancel dair (both hits) > nair > whatever (probably more nairs). Even more stuff can link if you're proficient at AI (aerial interrupt) nair. DL is like BF except Marth gets more room to move, but Marth has an extremely hard time killing us. FD and PS are the next best stages. FD has large blastzones that you can use better and nothing gets in the way of juggling, but it also gives Marth a lot of room to abuse his better movement. PS is nice for the lower ceiling and the transformations can help us out (they give us more gimmicks than him) but we still don't have platforms that are of any use to us and he can use DB1 > up tilt to kill us faster. Yoshi's Story and Fountain of Dreams are terrible. Avoid them like the plague. I have a definitive preference for YS though. There, we get scar jumps, a lower ceiling, and the platforms won't block our nair approaches. Why is it so bad? Tipper f smash kills us instantly and we have nowhere to run.

This MU is actually really similar to how Fox or Pikachu deal with Marth. In neutral, we can either whiff punish or call out his movement. Be sure to mix up where you place your nairs and how you go about baiting. Jolts are fairly useless, though if you have a lot of space or are in a position where there is minimal risk of punishment, you can throw one or two out to change the pace of the game, even though they should just be shielded or jabbed. I find myself able to do this most often on FD since platforms can usually get in the way. If Marth ever shields, overshoot nair is unpunishable and Marth has no good options OoS behind him. If we're close enough, his nair will go right over Pichu's head, so you don't even have that to fear. Be careful if you land in front of him since up b OoS is fast and strong. That's all you have to worry about though, since Marth's OoS options are all-around terrible.

We're not Pikachu, but our platform game is still quite stellar. If Marth ever up tilts our shield, that's a free shield drop anything. We can also DD camp on the platform quite well if the Marth wants to approach since we can shield drop nair him if he gets close.

For edgeguarding, intercepting his up b with an invincible nair works really well. You can also use jolts to push him back. If he gets hit, he's probably dead. You can also jump out and rising nair but this is risky and sometimes you'll just get hit by DB. If he's really low, you can do anything that prevents him from up b'ing to ledge-grab range since it's really easy to tech. Oh, and the Marth Killer is awesome. If he doesn't space up b well, you can down tilt him and go from there.

I'll definitely write some stuff up on Zelda, Sheik, Bowser and a few others later.

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I really think we need to just put a pin in anti neutral tactics. Lately I've been hard pressed to deal with things like walk forward wd back cc/shield/quick jab like move while sliding back and generally speaking they buffer di away at the same time nullifying most of our combo options

Like Marth doing a walk forward wd back fair/nair

Last edited:

Popertop

Smash Champion
Necro for great justice

Has anyone else had luck countering CC with Fair/Dair? I find the electric hitstun helps throw off their timing for recovering
Also grab game is good for it too (Empty Jump > Grab, or AC Agility > Grab)

Top Bottom