• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Perfect Specimen Of A Man Returns!- A Wario Return Thread

Waht is your favorite Wario

• Brawl Wario

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Smash 4 Wario

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • PM Wario

Votes: 41 37.6%
  • I want a new Wario

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I hate Wario

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789

What do you think of the knockback on Wario's dash attack? Sends Villager further than the subsequent hits but unsure how far Shovel Knight is supposed to send you.

Back air seems faster too, no?
It's looks fine.
But we don't know the % on that match, so unfortunately we can't judge if it will be good for combos or killing.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog

What do you think of the knockback on Wario's dash attack? Sends Villager further than the subsequent hits but unsure how far Shovel Knight is supposed to send you.

I think a lot of moves seen faster because of the style of the game, thus a lot of people saying that other moves, mainly villager's bair and dair, came out faster. His fair has a load more horizontal range now though.

EDIT: I ran it through a frame by frame counter at 60FPS, it comes out on frame 10 so its still the same ol bair, it may have some more range though as wario get noticeably larger when he does it, it also has 20 frames of endlag assuming it doesn't autocan from a SH any more. However dash attack comes out on frame 5(!!) and has an estimated 8-11 frames of endlag, which is ridiculous seeing as how fast and far he moves while using it, and hopefully it has armor too like his fsmash did

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, for music, I'm obviously expecting 95% WarioWare, but what Wario Land music should make the cut?

And, speaking of WarioWare; this better be in the game!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So, for music, I'm obviously expecting 95% WarioWare, but what Wario Land music should make the cut?

And, speaking of WarioWare; this better be in the game!

I'm hoping for a new remix of the classic Wario Land theme. I'd also like to hear the Wario Land 3 credits theme and Wario Land 4's Toy Block Tower on the Gamer stage.

For WarioWare music, Tomorrow Hill would be hilarious on either of the Wario stages. Also if Body Rock isn't in we riot (especially since Gold has a new cleaned rip of it).

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Jesus like my comment and very legitimate work doesn't even exist
Is there NO ONE out there that is actually interested in wario's buffs?

Shmebulock

Smash Cadet
I'm hoping for a new remix of the classic Wario Land theme. I'd also like to hear the Wario Land 3 credits theme and Wario Land 4's Toy Block Tower on the Gamer stage.

For WarioWare music, Tomorrow Hill would be hilarious on either of the Wario stages. Also if Body Rock isn't in we riot (especially since Gold has a new cleaned rip of it).
Always maintained that Body Rock should be put on the Wii Fit Studio stage, even with the new series-to-stage rules regarding music.

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice

We can't study the knockback since we don't know the percentages, I'm unsure about Back air.

D

Deleted member

I really wish they would show us more for Wario. I feel like his little video did no justice and we're left with nothing but knowing that the shoulder bash is back. I get he's not the most appealing character but come on. Show us some kind of match. :sadsheep:

D

Deleted member

I really wish they would show us more for Wario. I feel like his little video did no justice and we're left with nothing but knowing that the shoulder bash is back. I get he's not the most appealing character but come on. Show us some kind of match. :sadsheep:
The fact that over half of the roster is in limbo considering the E3 tech demo only has 31 fighters (all third party characters and noteworthy Nintendo characters besides Ridley & Inkling) and we just have short videos detailing the other veterans makes me worried a bit.

Granted, I didn't even bother playing as Wario in Smash 4 because the removal of the Shoulder Bash pissed me off to no end, so I'm hoping they did justice with him this time.

D

Deleted member

none of these are WL music, but Terrormisu, Tomorrow Hill, Drifting Away and Run! Men in Tights.
I honestly don't mind it mostly being Wario Ware music. If anything, I'd be putting in Body Rock, Introducing Wario Deluxe, Tomorrow Hill, and a boss theme from Master of Disguise.

I'd just like at least one new track from those games. Toy Block Tower is just begging for a remix.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I honestly don't mind it mostly being Wario Ware music. If anything, I'd be putting in Body Rock, Introducing Wario Deluxe, Tomorrow Hill, and a boss theme from Master of Disguise.

I'd just like at least one new track from those games. Toy Block Tower is just begging for a remix.
How did I forget about Body Rock and Toy Block Tower?

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
I'm hoping his soundtrack doesn't get shafted again. GREENHORN FOREST and WREK TRAIN please.

Last edited:

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I can't help but wonder what Ultimate will do with Wario's alternate colors especially since I really disliked what For did, by mixing the Biker alts together and cutting the Game Boy color scheme.

Just for fun I figured I'd try to make an analysis to try and find an origin for all alts. Nothing where I'd say ''this has to be it!1!'' but just some fun food for thought,

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I can't help but wonder what Ultimate will do with Wario's alternate colors especially since I really disliked what For did, by mixing the Biker alts together and cutting the Game Boy color scheme.
One of the pics on the official site has Wario in his purple/blue biker alt from SSB4, so they will most likely just reuse his costumes.

I really hope this isn't the case and we somehow get 8 colors for each costume. I miss the chocolate and gameboy colored overalls alts from Brawl so much.

Ridley has a Meta Ridley alt that is not a part of his regular 8 colors, so that does give me a bit of hope though.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
yeah, palette distribution seems to be all over the place in this game. but hey, if everyone is here, maybe that applies for Wario's missing costumes, too...

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm not holding my breath if Mac got cut down on the demo.

I'm honestly expecting only Ridley to be the one getting special treatment this time, and maybe Mac again.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Because some don't play PM and everyone else hates Grab Release

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Interesting note about the WarioWare GOLD game... in an opening cutscene, he calls up all his supporting cast characters to ask them a favor. When he calls Ashley, she immediately hangs up on him... maybe too busy being in the new Smash bros game?!?!

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
Interesting note about the WarioWare GOLD game... in an opening cutscene, he calls up all his supporting cast characters to ask them a favor. When he calls Ashley, she immediately hangs up on him... maybe too busy being in the new Smash bros game?!?!
I remember when I had hope. I was an innocent boy two months ago.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Nothing Wario related during the Direct, though Princess Shokura from Wario Land 4 is a spirit so I guess the WL series isn't completely forgotten.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Nothing Wario related during the Direct, though Princess Shokura from Wario Land 4 is a spirit so I guess the WL series isn't completely forgotten.
They're doing Smash with the entire roster on the Treehouse today (alternating with other games), so we might see gameplay yet. We've already seen GnW, Pichu, Wolf and Young Link in various matches, we may see some WAH

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
They're doing Smash with the entire roster on the Treehouse today (alternating with other games), so we might see gameplay yet. We've already seen GnW, Pichu, Wolf and Young Link in various matches, we may see some WAH
It seems to have ended with no Wario unfortunately.

On the bright side, one of Villager's alts was altered so his skin is more noticeably darker. If we are lucky maybe we can get a new Wario palette.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Spain to the rescue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxzxwc4BUXg

Overall notability

-Moves have been sped up across the board. Fsmash and Bair both recover much faster.
-Bike has a longer CD if you just throw it off stage. You don't immediately have access again
-Bite heals you a small amount of health
-Fair and Shoulder Bash both knockback a respectable distance at high percent. I could easily see Fair killing during an edgeguard situation. That is frightening. Dash attack is a legitimate KO move, something Wario is in dire need of
-Nair looks like it can function as an actual Nair again, instead of whatever pathetic excuse of a hitbox it had back in Wii U Nair days when only the hands had hitboxes for the first part.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Spain to the rescue

Overall notability

-Moves have been sped up across the board. Fsmash and Bair both recover much faster.
-Bike has a longer CD if you just throw it off stage. You don't immediately have access again
-Fair and Shoulder Bash both knockback a respectable distance at high percent. I could easily see Fair killing during an edgeguard situation. That is frightening. Dash attack is a legitimate KO move, something Wario is in dire need of
-Nair looks like it can function as an actual Nair again, instead of whatever pathetic excuse of a hitbox it had back in Wii U Nair days when only the hands had hitboxes for the first part.
Aside from the bike cooldown I am loving these changes so far. Glad to hear shoulderbash is good for killing (I'll still miss his old dash attack for messing up recoveries though). Chomp healing off of attacks is amazing. I wonder if you can gain health by eating enemy projectiles like Samus' charge shot.

Has anyone who has played the new build been able to see all of Wario's colors? Are they just the same as SSB4's?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I noticed that you can now angle Wario's trajectory during the half/fully charged waft, which makes it better for emergency recovery and also easier to avoid SD'ing from a fully charged waft.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
All of the alternate colors (plus a first look at the official artwork of Wario in his overalls):

https://youtu.be/aDSuAY3qiQg

Sadly Wario just has his SSB4 colors, though they changed the order so they alternate by biker then overalls when selecting them. I guess we will never see chocolate and gameboy Wario ever again.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Spain to the rescue

Overall notability

Does this mean he has actually good kill moves this time around?
Do we know if he has any good excuse of a combo game or is he still stuck with whatever the heck it was in smash 4?

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
To those who have had access to the demo, how is Wario's new forward tilt? Is it better or worse than the old one?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Someone picked Wario in teams. Thanks goodness.

Damn I'm loving the range on up-Smash. Is it me or is jab faster now (4:42 of the third video)? Also lol at his victory animation.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Everything is faster. Or at least lags a lot less

The things I noted: Fair beat back a ROB Gyro that was being fired out. Unsure if Gyro was nerfed or Fair was buffed.

I think there's now a better indicator that Wario is a full Waft charge.

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
From what I've counted, Wario's F-Smash seems to come out on frame 14-15, and the move's duration is around 54-55 frames total at the earliest I've counted.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Eating the bike does not heal :(
A fair trade off for Chomp healing I would say.

From what I've counted, Wario's F-Smash seems to come out on frame 14-15, and the move's duration is around 54-55 frames total at the earliest I've counted.
For reference, Old Wario Fsmash came out in 18 frames and lasted 66 total

EDIT: Wario seems to have some armor in his 'jump from Bike' animation. I forget, was that there in Smash 4?

Last edited:
Top Bottom