• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please Promote Me For DLC- Starfy for Smash

Favorite Starfy look

• Original Pointy Starfy

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Hamburger Starfy

Votes: 29 65.9%

• Total voters

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, I godda say, I really love Starfy! I'm totally onboard with him being playable, so add me to the supporters list!

Also, I'd argue that he's pretty popular now. I've been seeing him a lot lately.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Reorganized, and added stuff to OP.

Oh man, I godda say, I really love Starfy! I'm totally onboard with him being playable, so add me to the supporters list!

Also, I'd argue that he's pretty popular now. I've been seeing him a lot lately.
Added. He has seen a bit of a resurgence lately, no clue why, but I hope it keeps up.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Starfy made it to the second round of the Smashboards bracket challenge, beating Porky Minch 35-25. Next round is Bandana Dee. Gonna take a miracle for this matchup.

Working on a visual for the Starfy moveset I thought up. View attachment 142219
Nice work. What I really like is that you nailed the facial expressions.

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
After much procrastination it's basically done. Just gotta add taunts. See you in a month.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Say, do any of you think Starfy would utilize his voice actress (Satomi Korogi) for Smash if he was playable?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Small update adding Ed-boy Ed-boy to supporters. I see you with that Starfy sig.

Just wanted to bump this, and say a little piece on the Assist Trophy situation.

First off, I appreciate anyone who lent their support the Prince of Pufftop. No matter what happens in the future, and happened in the past, I'm grateful that so many people share the love for a character I hold so dear.

Since I started this support thread I've learned a lot about the character, and truly enjoy the various takes people have for the little guy. Whether you enjoy a basic spin-based moveset, or one heavy with transformations and vehicles, Starfy movesets always end up as some of the more interesting ones out there. It's great to see a character that's seen by many as so basic, have so many different ideas.

The unfortunate truth is, while the Assist Trophy is discouraging, it seems to be his place now. Being one of the first AT characters revealed, he seems like Sakurai's main ambassador for the idea. Take encouragement that this isn't meant to be a slight against Starfy; Sakurai seems to fancy Assist Trophies quite a bit, and I tend to believe he equates them to supports in other games. They're supposed to be used more than we, as a community, use them, it just never works out that way.

If this isn't good enough in any of your opinions, and if you want change, we need Starfy to be more important. I don't know what it would take, but right now he seems to be the character that a lot of people just forget, look past, and/or just straight up don't understand. It's the unfortunate reality of a character that hasn't had a new game in about 10 years, ands first (and sometimes only) impression is the spinning AT.

All I ask to anyone that still likes the idea of Starfy in Smash is to not stop supporting just because of this. Support doesn't have to be something you put all of your hope into, sometimes it's nice just to throw a character younger fans don't know on your fan roster and introduce them to something new. Who knows, maybe you'll turn someone into a fan.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Small update adding Ed-boy Ed-boy to supporters. I see you with that Starfy sig.
Heet. Ya got me.
How did you see the sig. though? It doesn't show on my laptop, & I thought I deleted it along with Midna & Takamaru cuz of their you-know-what status.

Speaking of said status, Your saying was spot on, especially the closing point. Sure, some of my most wanted have gotten the shemp again, but that won't keep me from supporting their "graduation" to fighter status next time.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Heet. Ya got me.
How did you see the sig. though? It doesn't show on my laptop, & I thought I deleted it along with Midna & Takamaru cuz of their you-know-what status.

Speaking of said status, Your saying was spot on, especially the closing point. Sure, some of my most wanted have gotten the shemp again, but that won't keep me from supporting their "graduation" to fighter status next time.
I saw it awhile ago, but never got around to it. I didn't forget though.

I like the rest of your sig too, especially that first guy.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Oh sweet, a bump

Never played it before. I support!
Nice. Added. I recommend TLS. It's cheap now, and you can play it on DS or 3DS.

So I've been sitting on this idea for Starfy for a while. I think an important element of Starfy is the swimming. The majority of the game is played underwater after all, but introducing something like that to Smash would be difficult. Having common swimming would be odd, and a disadvantage for most of the cast, so making that important for Starfy's design would be poorly planned. Ignoring water but still letting Starfy swim would be an odd decision as well just because Starfy games do have land sections, and he doesn't swim in the air.

So the question is: how can we implement swimming in Smash?

Option 1: Final Smash
The easiest option imo since Final Smashes are meant to be blatantly overpowered. In this idea, the entire stage floods with water, and Starfy is able to freely swim around at extremely fast speeds and hit harder than before.

Option 2: Up Special "Geyser"

This concept is a little weird, so bare with me. So if you've played Rivals of Aether, you'd know Kragg has an up special where he summons a rock pillar underneath him. Hopefully this gif works
For Starfy, I'd like the geyser to come out in a similar manner, but also have more depth.

Before we start one things to note:
-The geyser will be, by rule, always half the vertical length of the screen on any given stage. So for example the geyser will be much larger on Hyrule Castle, then on Pokemon Stadium. This is so Starfy can't get jank kills off the top if he's nearing the blastzone, and it sneaks up under an opponent looking to challenge.
-The geyser will not have any affect on projectiles, which I know will look weird with fireballs going through water and everything but yeah.
-The geyser can be stopped by a shield.
-The geyser can be airdodged through
-The next geyser will be ready for use directly after the first one is finished

So anyway how it goes is Starfy presses up b, and you see the foam of the geyser start to form on the bottom of the screen where Starfy was positioned when the button was originally pressed. It takes a second to arrive, and in that time Starfy has some choices.

Option 1: Do nothing
If Starfy just waits for the geyser, he'll fall a little, and the geyser will shoot him back up in the manner it seems to be doing in the Starfy picture above. This refreshes Starfy's double jump, but cannot use up b again until he hits the ground. While in the air Starfy can do any attack available.

Option 2: Airdodge
If Starfy airdodges while the geyser is coming at him, he will then be able to swim in it. The geyser will be a little wider than the picture above, so Starfy has some room to move around. In the water, Starfy is much faster, and very mobile, able to move in any direction imaginable. This allows him the ability to mix up his recovery and go for deep offstage edgeguards fairly safely. He can also leave and re-enter the geyser at will until it disappears, but he has to be careful, because if the geyser wears down while he's still in it he enters his freefall animation.

Option 3: Get of the way
If done in a non recovery situation, Starfy can use the geyser as more of a trap or attack on it's own by just moving out of the way. The geyser will still appear but Starfy will not be affected by it. If done correctly this can interrupt approaches, or break combos. He can still choose to enter the geyser while it is up.

How it affects the opponent on hit:
If the top of the geyser hits the opponent (the white, foamy area) the opponent will take damage and flinch. The knockback will change depending on where they are when it hits them. If it hits them while it's just starting to go up, it will send them flying much further then if it hits them when it's reached it's maximum height.

If the opponent attempts to airdodge into it like Starfy, then they will just be pushed upwards until they hit the foamy area where they will still take damage. While in the geyser, unless your name is Starfy (even the opponent Starfy) you are still able to do everything you were capable of doing before, just at 1/3 the speed.

The speed in which they're pushed up will be based on their weight. Heavy characters will rise slower, while light characters will fly up. The movement within the water will be affected by air speed (outside of Starfy). So Puff would be move horizontally fairly quickly while the Ice Climbers won't. Point is, if a character wants to escape through the side, it's better for them to be heavier with good aerial mobility.

And that's it! Feedback would be appreciated. I love this character and this is just one of things I think of when I saw he has a lot of potential.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
A good friend of mine made Starfy some nice little alts that I wanted to share

Attachments

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
He is actually what controls the rotation of the earth
His sacrifice will not be in vain

Not sure if I've posted this here before, but I'd love to get Bunston as an Assist Trophy. It'd be cool for him to pop up and allow the player to be able to use Monstar, Roostar, Starfright, or Starpedo.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Imagine if we had gotten a unique type of echo fighter, being Starfy as one of Luma, with some added/changed moves and attributes here and there, of course, the biggest being you'd only control the star.
Either way, I support the character and the series future, I've wanted its games fan translated, officially translated or at least released in Europe for a long time now.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Imagine if we had gotten a unique type of echo fighter, being Starfy as one of Luma, with some added/changed moves and attributes here and there, of course, the biggest being you'd only control the star.
Either way, I support the character and the series future, I've wanted its games fan translated, officially translated or at least released in Europe for a long time now.
That's an interesting thought. I'm not a supporter of echos by any means, but Starfy echoing Luma would almost be unique. Still, there's certain attacks he would still need, like some specials for example, so he couldn't be a true echo. It still sells the character short, but I'd take what I can get at this point.

And yeah, I'm dying for the first 4 games to make their way west too.

Welcome to the club

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
There seems to be a bit of a debate surrounding AT's right now. Personally, I think that AT's are cool for big awkward characters like the Burrowing Snagret or generic depth characters like the Hammer Bros, but for specific characters, like Starfy, I think it can be harmful to the character's image, and sometimes the series they represent, and I do believe it is harmful to their future chances to be in Smash.

I didn't expect Starfy to make the upgrade this time around, but I have to admit I get a little salty when I see people that are fans of the characters that ended up being AT's being called "enititled whiners" or something related. For many, these are the characters that they want the most, whether it be Starfy, Bomberman, Waluigi, Krystal, Midna, Ashley, Takamaru, Shovel Knight, or whomever, these characters all have fans that want nothing more than one of these guys playable. Some learn to accept them as AT's or whatever their role is, they may even like it, but that's not why they support them, and people should understand disappointment is not only natural, but healthy as well.

One thing people need to realize is that if these fans don't let their feelings be known, nothing changes. They have to learn to accept a role they never wanted for a character they love. If Ridley fans stopped talking when the "good" fans disparaged them he would've never happened, if K.Rool fans didn't rally we wouldn't have gotten that sweet reveal.

These are two direct examples of characters that loud fanbases made happen. It shows that Sakurai and his team listens to us, and we need to give him the right information, and let them do the rest. So if I'm being honest, I think that people that defend the AT's while saying (I'm paraphrasing here): 'I think it'll give the character a chance later', are being naive, need to just stop the virtue signalling, and just give honest feedback for once to make everyone's time easier.

SkullKidKing

Smash Cadet
There seems to be a bit of a debate surrounding AT's right now. Personally, I think that AT's are cool for big awkward characters like the Burrowing Snagret or generic depth characters like the Hammer Bros, but for specific characters, like Starfy, I think it can be harmful to the character's image, and sometimes the series they represent, and I do believe it is harmful to their future chances to be in Smash.

I didn't expect Starfy to make the upgrade this time around, but I have to admit I get a little salty when I see people that are fans of the characters that ended up being AT's being called "enititled whiners" or something related. For many, these are the characters that they want the most, whether it be Starfy, Bomberman, Waluigi, Krystal, Midna, Ashley, Takamaru, Shovel Knight, or whomever, these characters all have fans that want nothing more than one of these guys playable. Some learn to accept them as AT's or whatever their role is, they may even like it, but that's not why they support them, and people should understand disappointment is not only natural, but healthy as well.

One thing people need to realize is that if these fans don't let their feelings be known, nothing changes. They have to learn to accept a role they never wanted for a character they love. If Ridley fans stopped talking when the "good" fans disparaged them he would've never happened, if K.Rool fans didn't rally we wouldn't have gotten that sweet reveal.

These are two direct examples of characters that loud fanbases made happen. It shows that Sakurai and his team listens to us, and we need to give him the right information, and let them do the rest. So if I'm being honest, I think that people that defend the AT's while saying (I'm paraphrasing here): 'I think it'll give the character a chance later', are being naive, need to just stop the virtue signalling, and just give honest feedback for once to make everyone's time easier.
on that similar line, Dark Samus and Chrom, while yes Echo isn't a full character, both had very dedicated fanbases and as Sakurai himself said were highly requested, if people had just accepted DS as an AT and that Chrom was not happening, we would not even have them as Echoes, and I never shut up about K.Rool lmao

Ashley still being an AT hurt me, real all of the ones you mentioned other then SK I want as characters.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
on that similar line, Dark Samus and Chrom, while yes Echo isn't a full character, both had very dedicated fanbases and as Sakurai himself said were highly requested, if people had just accepted DS as an AT and that Chrom was not happening, we would not even have them as Echoes, and I never shut up about K.Rool lmao

Ashley still being an AT hurt me, real all of the ones you mentioned other then SK I want as characters.
I think I'd be more accepting of AT's if they didn't come with the mentality of that's all they're meant to be right after. I hope the Skull Kid rumors become true, so people start to see they can be so much more

DuckHuntDork

Smash Rookie
NNID
TripleChin
3DS FC
1332-8230-8977
Switch FC
SW-5201-3372-9343
Starfy's been a character I've wanted since Brawl! He's like an undersea puffball...

KurouKamen

Smash Cadet
Starfy deserves to be a fighter, he with other Nintendo first parties like Isaac, Chibi Robo, Andy, Saki, Mike, Smartball, and Karate Joe have gotten the brunt for way too long. Time they focus on fresh first parties and not Pokemon or Fire Emblem rep number 20. Shame how everyone thinks he is weak despite slaying literal demons.

Top Bottom