• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The parry that aMSa is so famous for...

BrianTheLion

Smash Journeyman
I want someone to clarify this for me, I was wondering about the sequence of techniques that amsa uses to parry moves like a shffl Nair from fox for example. From my understanding he is first; shielding/using his couple frames of invisibility, and then next doing a double jump cancel to escape the "power shield" and then doing a regular double jump canceled nair or any aerial to punish. Am I understanding the sequence and WHY this must be the sequence to combat this Fox's Nair situation I'm talking about ??

BrianTheLion

Smash Journeyman
I only used Nair as an example because it seems to be the most frequently used counter attack use by amsa in majority of his "parries"

Stax_Machine

Smash Rookie
You almost got it, when a yoshi is using parry to counter moves you shield, invincibility frame active, *here is where you're wrong with your sequence for parry > nair* just jump before parry frames end (not a double jump cancel) now you have the choice to do a rising nair or a double jump canceled (djc) nair, for your example yoshi is fighting fox, if a fox nairs you they usually land with a shine in case you shield but if you do a djc nair out of parry the shine will catch you however if you do a rising nair you will hit before the shine, the benefits to the djc nair is you land sooner allowing you to follow up after the nair. Yoshi usually parry into djc nair because as a enemy hits you they often drift through you, the double jump lets you remain mobile enough to stay close enough to the foe for the nair to connect.

Other options out of parry are djc up-airs, these are harder to hit out of parry but not that much more difficult and depending on percents it can lead to a much better punish than what nair would. The other option you have is to parry > double jump cancel land (if you do this yoshi does not leave the ground but will have canceled his shielding animation and you're free to act just like you would be out of a no impact landing) this gives you the most time to punish, this will let you land a tilt or d-smash

Another thing that most people do not realize about parry or even powershielding is that if you crouch before the attempted parry/powershield when you enter the shielding animation you stand up moving you into the approaching attack allowing you to make the timing easier

Top Bottom