• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Palutena Video Archive Thread - Post Your Palutena Vids and Game Footage Here!

D

Deleted member

Hi!

maxresdefault.jpg

I am very excited for Palutena in Ultimate, so I decided to open this thread for anyone that has footage they would like to share and discuss.

That being said, If you have any questions or suggestions for this thread, feel free to ask away. Thanks for checking out the thread. Have a nice day :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DrPerplexion

Smash Cadet
A really good in depth analysis on Palutena's moveset.
DISCLAMER: THIS IS NOT MY VIDEO
I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THE CREATION,EDITING,VO'S, ETC. FOR THIS PIECE OF CONTENT

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
A really good in depth analysis on Palutena's moveset.
DISCLAMER: THIS IS NOT MY VIDEO
I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THE CREATION,EDITING,VO'S, ETC. FOR THIS PIECE OF CONTENT
That's for Smash 4, not Ultimate.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
30 Minutes of Gameplay from someone named "Lucky Jero". Palutena vs Villager. Both very good.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Please roast me. I know my Palu is very campy and nair-happy, but with the amount of pressure other characters can output, I feel like I have no choice but to play this way sometimes just to keep up.

Last edited:

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Please roast me. I know my Palu is very campy and nair-happy, but with the amount of pressure other characters can output, I feel like I have no choice but to play this way sometimes just to keep up.
I only watched the first match, but I could tell you came from smash 4. You could definitely afford to use more fair and bair. Not the way you were using fair in that video, though. Rising fair does have its place, but it's more of a combo tool or OOS option, not something you use at low percents, and *definitely* not something you use against a blocking opponent. Usually, when approaching with fair, you should SH, then after reaching the apex, fair and FF so that the hitbox connects right before you land, spacing for the tip. Fair only has 7f landlag, so this is very safe, and against impatient enemies, intentionally whiffing fairs can even bait out approaches. Unlike the rising fairs you were doing in that match, a FF'd fair at low percents can combo directly into dash attack, grab, or (dependent on spacing) even nair. Bair can be used similarly, but is shorter range and has more lag; it's still safe on block, though, if you do it right, and it does a lot of shield damage. I saw you try to go for a falling uair when bair would've cleanly hit (a bit after 2:30), your SH for it starting at the same time PP was landing; this would've been a great time for SHFF bair, which at that percent would have killed.

A good time to shield pressure with FF aerials is when the enemy has their back against the ledge, such as the situation you had PP in around 1:30. Backing off and spacing an explosive flame is alright if the enemy is on the ledge (if you can predict the timing/spacing of their getup, it's a very safe way to punish them without having to worry about getup attack), but if they're on the stage, it's better to pressure directly. The backward roll you did was a waste of your initiative. Rolling takes away control of your character, giving your enemy room to mount an offensive of their own. It should be used incredibly sparingly, only when actually needed to dodge an attack. Instead of rolling, try dash back -> early cancel into jump (optionally reverse just before the jump to face the opponent) -> ff aerial, which should cover your retreat just as well, but will keep pressure on PP's block. Try to replace back roll with dash or sh back whenever possible, unless you *actually* need the i-frames. I'm pretty sure every roll you did that match was unnecessary.

Also, in this matchup, you can afford to use a lot more autoreticle. Basically anytime you're half a stage away is a good time to throw it out. Force the enemy to approach you, and counter with any of ftilt, rising bair/nair, dash back short EF, or just dash back -> dash in after they whiff a move and grab or something. If you're feeling a little cheekier, dashdance -> dash attack can intercept aerials as the enemy is landing, which while a little tricky to pull off, can be used to punish otherwise safe moves.

FartyParty FartyParty I watched your peach vid, too. For the opener, don't just use autoreticle from on top the platform; it leaves you too vulnerable. Drop down -> AR is much safer as an opener, since you're no longer on a platform, and it gives the AR a better trajectory. When you've got the enemy knocked down on a platform above you like at 0:25, it's the perfect time to SH nair or uair to catch them when they become vulnerable, due to their very forgiving hitboxes and long-lasting hit frames. Overall I like your use of ftilt, but I think you go for the hard read too often against an enemy that wasn't really rolling behind you all that much. You could probably afford to use a bit more fair/bair too, but I like what you're doing for the most part.

Last edited:
Top Bottom