• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The OTHER Shrine Maiden: Pocky/Sayo-Chan For Smash

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Before there was Reimu, there was another shrine maiden heroine of a video game series.

This is Pocky aka Sayo-Chan from Pocky & Rocky/Kiki KaiKai.

I added this thread for many reasons.
1. Vergeben just deconfirmed Reimu for Fighter #5.
2. Sabi said one of the companies Vergeben deconfirmed in the first list before backpedaling may be represented for #5. Square Enix is one of the possible companies as it owns Taito (despite Natsume being the one developing and publishing the SNES games).
3. Milk Bosatu said the female fighter wore Japanese clothes and had a flying weapon. Pocky is the only one I can think of with those things that Vergeben/Nintendo hasn't deconfirmed yet. Also, what female fighter Milk Bosatu's "friend" witnessed looked like she'd be in a fighting game. Pocky could have been posing in a way you'd see in a fighting game. There's also one thing about from a franchise already represented but I can't find the exact source for it, and perhaps franchise could mean company which would point to Square Enix. That or the one obstacle against Pocky which is the character already an NPC, though that could be a post-pass fighter.
4. We have yet to have a shrine maiden as a fighter.
5. The 2019 Game Awards finished without a Smash reveal. The character to be revealed next must have been too niche to be in TGA. If there was a reveal there, they would've had somebody like Doomguy, Master Chief, Lara Croft, Crash, Steve, Ryu Hayabusa, Sora or any of the other more popular video game icons.

Now some of you are wondering, why not add Rocky by her side? Well, Pocky actually had other allies to aid her in Pocky & Rocky 2, so Rocky as well as the other friends would show up in certain moves. I actually think Pocky would be unique with her cards, gohei, as well as "A Little Help From Her Friends". Becky/Miki-Chan can also appear as an alt skin, not unlike Alph, the Koopalings, and the 3 other DQ Heroes.

I hope this thread gets more support and people will realize they were underestimating the series that got popular reception at the time.

Oh, and an enemy has one thing to say:
"Ha, ha I am your adversary."

Last edited:

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
I remember playing the game as a child on an emulator on my brothers PC. The game occasionally comes up on peoples list for favorite or obscure games and everytime I think to myself: "wait a minute, I remember playing this game." Not a huge fan of emulation nowadays so I never bothered to revisit it, though.

Not sure how I would feel about Sayo getting in before Reimu does, as it would make Reimu's already low chance of ever being a character practically go to zero. This town's not big enough for two shrine maidens, ya know? You may mark me as biased and you would be definitely correct in that assessment.

You have my blessings but not my support. Not that any of this matters, anyway. :nifty:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
If anyone here's a fan of the Pocky & Rocky SNES games, perhaps you guys can set up a stage, moveset, music list, or Classic Mode route.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
My stage idea would be a tour of areas with prime area being on Gordon the Dragon (Ryūjin in the Japanese version).
The stage should be called
"MYSTERIOUS GHOST WORLD" (in reference to the Japanese title "Kiki KaiKai")
After a while, the players will dive down off Gordon and on one of the stages. This doesn't happen every time, but sometimes there's a secret part of the stage aside from Gordon that you can hit. If you hit it enough times, one of the Seven Wise People (Seven Lucky Gods in the Japanese version) will appear and make items appear. When enough time passes in the land area, you fly back to the sky on Gordon's back until it is time to head back down, and so on. The land area you visit depends on the music that's playing (except on Battlefield/Omega mode). For example, if the "Haunted Shrine" theme plays, the land area will be Pocky's home shrine. Different characters will also appear in the background depending on where you are. In Battlefield/Omega mode, you'll always fight at the top of the modified Torii in the shrine. Last but not least, it's always night to reflect the nature of ghosts.

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Sign me up. I've seen KiKi KaiKai gameplay and it was alright. This bish can work but goddamn if she wasn't so obscure.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
When Pocky goes in a dizzy/Screen KO animation, she should have the same expression on her face that she gets in Pocky & Rocky 1's Game Over screen.
1576814643084.png

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
My idea for the areas and music in Mysterious Ghost World is this:
Pocky's Shrine (Haunted Shrine/Exotic Country Road)
Kappa River (Enchanted Forest/Bridge Over Kappa River)
Nopino Airship (Battle In The Sky)
Black Mantle's Fortress (Battle With Black Mantle)
Winter Wonderland (Winter Wonderland)
Remain On Gordon (Dragon In The Sky)
Demon's Castle (Demon's Castle)

Pocky's victory theme should be a remix of Pocky & Rocky 2's Stage Clear theme.
Her universe's symbol may be something like this:
1576908694137.png

It references the Puka Puka ghosts.

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Pocky's Colors
1577822629508.png

Weight: Lightweight [88]
Height: Similar to Banjo's height
Midair Jumps: 1
Can crawl
Cannot wall jump
Kirby Hat: Pocky's hair & headband
Boxing Ring Title: The Mysterious Miko Of Legend
Becky's Boxing Ring Title: A Miko's Identical Ally
Voice Actor: Ayako Kawasumi (just grunts)

Standard A
Pocky/Becky swings her magic stick (Gohei in the Japanese version).
This can reflect any projectile attacks.

Side A
Pocky/Becky slashes with a katana which Little Ninja (Shinobi) has.
It has a combo of three with no rapid attack.

Dash A
Pocky/Becky slides like she does in the Pocky & Rocky games.

Up A
Pocky/Becky jabs upward with a fan.

Down A
Pocky/Becky sweeps the ground harshly with her broom.

Side Smash
Pocky/Becky tosses one of the spike balls that Bomber Bob (Takuan) throws.
The longer it's charged, the farther the ball will be thrown and the more damage and knockback it can cause.

Up Smash
A column of flame gets unleashed from the ground.
It's similar to Palutena's Up Smash but shorter and a little wider.

Down Smash
A Puka Puka ghost spins around Pocky/Becky.

Standard Aerial
Three cards fly around Pocky/Becky.
The range is very short, though.

Side Aerial
Pocky/Becky shoots a short ranged arrow forwards.
It's similar to Villager's Side Aerial.

Back Aerial
Pocky/Becky slashes with her magic stick.

Up Aerial
Pocky/Becky pokes upwards with her magic stick.

Down Aerial
Pocky/Becky rides Scarecrow (Kakashi) in Pogo stick form and dives down.
It works similar to other down aerials like for Toon Link, Greninja & Banjo-Kazooie.

Standard B: Spell Cards
Pocky/Becky throws spell cards (Ofuda).
Pressing B rapidly makes the card throwing constant.
The cards do very little damage and can't cause any knockback but they do have good range.
Holding B causes her to charge her card turning into fiery ones.
The fiery cards do better damage and a bit of knockback.

Side B: Rocky
Rocky appears and throws three leaves at a time in 3 different directions.
Like the regular cards, the leaves do little damage and no knockback but good range.
Pressing Side B twice will make Pocky/Becky throw Rocky horizontally.
If Rocky hits an opponent, he'll smash down in K****igarbha form (this replaces the traditional Tanuki statue for obvious reasons)
Rocky's statue form works as a shield.
If Rocky misses after being tossed or his time in statue form ends (10 seconds), he won't show up in Side B until 20 seconds have passed.

Up B: Mad Dog
Pocky/Becky rides on Mad Dog (Komainu) who leaps up in the air.
Pocky/Becky then jumps off.
She won't be helpless after this, unless Mad Dog gets hit during the process.
Mad Dog can cause some damage and knockback with his leap.

Down B: Bomb
Pocky will ignite a bomb which blows up in horizontal and vertical lines.
Anyone caught in the blast will be dealt great damage and knockback.
Pocky/Becky can only use one bomb per stock.
If Pocky/Becky gets hit just when she's about to use the bomb, it will be defused and unusable until Pocky's next stock.

Final Smash: Exorcising Ritual
Pocky/Becky will throw a special card.
If the card hits an opponent, a cutscene with Pocky/Becky performing an exorcising ritual will follow.
It's a dark background with candles.
After meditating for a few seconds, Pocky/Becky swiftly unleashes a flaming Japanese symbol (similar to Bomber Bob's Magic) on the opponent.
If the opponent is at 100% or more at the end of the cutscene, it will be an instant KO.

Grab Jab
Pocky/Becky pokes her opponent with her stick.

Forward Throw
Pocky/Becky throws the opponent like she throws Rocky.

Backward Throw
Pocky/Becky tosses up the opponent then hits them with her stick like a baseball bat.

Up Throw
Pocky/Becky swings the opponent and launches them with an umbrella.

Down Throw
Pocky/Becky hits the opponent on the back with a keisaku.

Shield
Pocky/Becky will have a unique shield of her own like Yoshi.
In this case, it's the multi-colored shield Pocky uses in Pocky & Rocky 1.

Up Taunt
Pocky/Becky transforms into one of her allies from Pocky & Rocky 2 (aside from Rocky)
This is similar to Pac-Man's up-taunt.

Side Taunt
Pocky/Becky does a brief ritual by swinging her magic stick.

Down Taunt
A Puka Puka appears, taunts, and disappears.

Victory #1
Pocky/Becky does a little miko dance.

Victory #2
Pocky/Becky enjoys some dango dumplings with Rocky.
This is what he & Pocky did in the ending to Pocky & Rocky 1.

Victory #3
A card flies around and Pocky/Becky grabs it right in the time of the pose.

I'm no expert in Shinto shrine stuff but I've done my best to come up with Pocky's moveset.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm still looking for the Pocky & Rocky games for a good price. They're my white whales I've been after for years. I didn't know Pocky had a support thread on here. I would be down with her getting in so count me as a supporter.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
If Pocky was a base character, here's my idea for Palutena's Guidance:

VIRIDI:
Ha, ha she is your adversary.

PIT:
Who is this she?

PALUTENA:
She is Pocky.
Pocky uses her magic stick and magic cards, get out of the way when she throws the cards.

PIT:
OK, anything else Lady Palutena?

PALUTENA:
Rocky the Raccoon may show up.
He'll either throw leaves in three directions or be thrown.

PIT:
I think I get it in my mind.

VIRIDI:
Is it me or is our dialogue kind of iffy?

Take a good guess why I intentionally made the dialogue in this guidance "iffy".

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
And... an idea of some sort just came in celebration of this upcoming game:

I hope Rooster Teeth will be aware of it because I've wanted to see Pocky and Reimu fight.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
So far, no new news about the upcoming Pocky & Rocky game despite the recent Nintendo Direct.
I sure hope we get some info in the next New Game Plus Expo in March 4th, where Natsume is attending.

Last edited:
Top Bottom