• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Spatman

Smash Ace
Ah I was thinking Wonder Red, but I wasn't sure how popular he or his game was. He'd make sense in a way, but from what I've seen people think he's not even Nintendo's--which isn't true--but that would surprise people if he made it I guess.

Ridley would be something. It would surprise me personally since Sakurai always says why he "wouldn't work", but he is popular and would make sense, despite what Sakurai usually says about him. So basically we're looking at:
-Dixie
-Chorus Kids
-Inkling
-Ridley
But the rumor said also that this character fits Smash very well (so even at first glance he/she has to appear perfect for the game). I don't think Ridley fits this request.
Actually for the way it is said, the only character I think directly and effortsless to is Inkling (also because the """leaker""" didn't want say anything about the genre of this character... I think it's because he should have said this character is both male and female, right as Inklings).
Chorus Kids is another possibility because of the tweet "who blabla the squids when you blabla the kids? " (sorry, I don't remember that tweet well) and of course also because they were planned for Smash4 vanilla, as it seems...

In general and principally, I'm much interested in the sentence "it's a character which fits Smash very well". For me this sentence can mean 2 things:
1) it's a strange, original character who uses a mechanics never used before in Smash, but this astonishing mechanics is indeed perfect for Super Smash Bros.
2) it's a not too much requested character, and not too much original, but it fits very well Smash per se and for rep reasons (for example, it fills a previously perceived hole)

The possibility 1, for me the more likely, makes me thinking about Inkling, Chorus Kids and characters of this kind.
The possibility 2, obviously, makes me thinking about Dixie Kong (not K Rool because this char has to be a non ballot winner) and in a minor extent Captain Toad and characters of this kind.
Another character who could be adapt (or Adept? :D ) for both the possibilities could be Isaac

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The only reason why they said it's not a ballot character is because it'll be released too soon after the ballot closed. So if they just started work on it within the first weeks of the ballot, by looking at the early results it could actually be a ballot character.

I take Sakurai's comment about fan service to mean Ryu was the last of the pre ballot DLC, so I think this character is from the ballot

Well, what if there are several people living together and they shared the same IP...?
Since, for the most part, one IP = one household, and a household is only going to buy the character once, an IP should only get one vote to count, and multiple votes from the same place could be ignored.

However, despite the request for each person to vote only once, I doubt it is enforced anyway. They just made that plea to cut down on the sheer number of submissions to read through.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
The only reason why they said it's not a ballot character is because it'll be released too soon after the ballot closed. So if they just started work on it within the first weeks of the ballot, by looking at the early results it could actually be a ballot character.

I take Sakurai's comment about fan service to mean Ryu was the last of the pre ballot DLC, so I think this character is from the ballot
I don't understand... Saku said they had not planned dlcs, at first, but then they decided to give us only Mewtwo. Then he said that after Ryu, Roy and Lucas we will have only fan service dlcs. So Ryu, Roy and Lucas were planned too alongside Mewtwo, or not? In every case we have at least a lie, here. So there is not reason to believe Sakurai couldn't say other lies (and he is well known to be a troll / to change his mind very often / to not say all at once).
If the three were planned from the start, other questions rise: why they? Why not all veterans are coming back? How is it possible that a Guest Star as Ryu is one of the first dlcs? (It's a kind of character you should advertisize in your vanilla game or rather advertisize him as imminent dlc at the launch of the game. And it's impossible the agreement and payment for ryu's rights and all the work to implement him were made in just 2-3 months (until mewtwo's release was near, Sakurai still had been saying there were not plans for dlcs and so the work for future dlcs had yet to begin AND the work for a single character requests months of work.... yes, but then he said us that now he has a smaller development studio and it is able to release 3 characters at once in just 2 months?! So why we had to wait mewtwo for 6 months?! )

In my opinion, it's clear that there is something Sakurai didn't say us, or something he lied about. Too many inconsistencies...
The best thing possible, and probably the best to resolve all these inconsistencies, is: quite more dlcs, with some other veterans coming back and at least another newcomer who were planned at the first of planning dlcs (and the newcomer could be a character they saw was quite requested during the first weeks of ballot, or rather in their researches pre-ballot) and then 3 other characters from the ballot (some of the returning veterans could come back after the ballot newcomers).

...but of course it will be only my wet dream, and nine of these things will be reality :D

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
So with a new-ish "hint" about the character appearing in a wii U game this straw poll boils down to 5 characters with Dixie being one of them.

http://strawpoll.me/5784472

Interestingly enough Inklings are leading but Dixie is not too far behind. If these "hints" or "leaks" or whatever they are really are true (which im on team fake because I dont like getting my hopes up) Then best guess its pretty much 50/50 Dixie and inkling.

Just me taking a guess I feel these 2 fit the hint of creating a huge buzz or would really get social media talking.

Both first female DLC

Inklings because the game us pretty darn popular! Also another thing I've seen people bring up is skin swaps could include Dark skinned inkling which according to some people would be a welcome addition to make more races feel included or represented in the game. The more I think about it the more i think its inkling.

And on the other hand Dixie. Many people agree that DK needs more representation also K Rool had a huge campaign and LOT'S of support. I could imagine according to things all over I have read that the out cry would be hella loud if Dixie got in if K Rool only got a mii suit.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Inklings because the game us pretty darn popular! Also another thing I've seen people bring up is skin swaps could include Dark skinned inkling which according to some people would be a welcome addition to make more races feel included or represented in the game. The more I think about it the more i think its inkling.
That sorta reminds me of this Gamexplain vid from not too long ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84ofTWFaWhI
Now I don't take their word as the gospel but they did provide some food for thought.

xWolfiex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xWolfie55x
3DS FC
2982-1721-1850
Man, I had a dream that Tiny Kong was a DLC character. I was both happy and disappointed. But hey, it's just a dream.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Giving the invite out to everyone if you choose to accept it.

MY group will be remaining open and will allow anyone to come if they wish to return to business as usual. Make your thread here if you would like. Trying to keep the community together.
http://smashboards.com/social-forums/predefined-role-character-support.1812/
I think I'm in the group already, but I'll take you up on the offer and go there after the site locks these threads. It'll be the perfect chance to show movesets for other characters. Thanks.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Has anyone made a social thread for Dixie yet? And if not who's doing it? I assume SethTheMage SethTheMage would since he's the OP of this thread
I've looked though all pages and not a single person tackled the support thread yet. Maybe BirthNote will be the one to make it if it were to happen.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think we should wait a few more days. If SethTheMage doesn't appear until the characters sub-forum is locked, then someone else should create the new thread.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I agree with Reila. Seth did a great job running this thread and if he wants to continue in the Group that'd be cool. If not, I don't mind starting the thread over there; I'll mostly copy and paste Seth's OP and add the last batch of my illustrations.

With that said it's time to move onto another moveset idea. We're getting airborne ahead of schedule, so let's leave the ground for a bit and allow me to show you her...

Up Special: Squawks

One of the DKC series' most popular Animal Buddies pops in to help Dixie recover. While holding her with his talons, Squawks can fly freely and carry Dixie to safety; each time you press B or the Jump Button, Squawks flaps his wings and goes higher. It works like Kirby's multiple jumps--or more accurately, Squawks controls almost exactly like he did in DKC2, but with some differences.

For starters, Squawks doesn't vomit nuts at threats--making him defenseless, and Dixie's damage percentage affects his mobility. He can't carry you so quickly if you're at or near 0%, meaning he'll tire fast and struggle to stay in the air. As he loses his stamina, he'll begin to fall faster as time passes, no matter how many times he flaps his wings. Eventually, his fluttering will go from allowing you to go higher, to maintaining a certain height, to simply stalling your inevitable return to land. The flaps are infinite, but it's really weighed down by the circumstance. He won't let you go until you touch the ground, or if you--as well as any enemies--make him let you go.

Does that deflate your enthusiasm? Well don't let it bother you too much, because the higher your damage percentage, the longer it takes for Squawks to get exhausted! He'll move a bit faster too--not Lucario levels of speed but not too bad either. A Dixie Kong at 999% damage won't be forced to return to the ground for quite a while, but when you're at THAT damage threshold, does it even matter how long you can stay airborne? Also, in the interests of fair play, this mechanic is nerfed considerably during Sudden Death Matches--we wouldn't want Dixie pulling a Sonic and hiding under the stage forever...

Basically this Special's better when Dixie's hurting, but why? Because the higher your damage percent, the easier it is to launch you, and if it's easier to knock you away then it must be easier to carry you too! This makes your damage a bit beneficial, but I wouldn't play recklessly, because Squawks can get hit...

...Leaving you completely helpless. He'll vanish in a puff of feathers and smoke like most enemies in DKCTF, and you'll fall. Dixie can also get hit while he carries her; Squawks will let her go and fly off the screen, but she'll be able to use "A-Button" Attacks and her Glide-like ability. Specials won't be available until she touches the ground. She can even let go of Squawks by Air-Dodging or pressing the Attack button at any time, in which case she won't be able to use her pseudo-Glide, but since her Up Air nearly stops her in place for a few seconds like Fox's aerial Down B, she might figure something out.

That's the idea for Squawks. Hopefully the concept doesn't make him seem too overpowered. The idea is giving Dixie infinite but heavily regulated jumps, with restrictions that slowly and steadily decrease with more damage taken. It should be very difficult to survive to the point where these jumps keep her in the air for dozens of minutes, so making it to 999% damage should be a near-impossible reward of exhaustion-free flight. It's obvious that attacking the already-defenseless Squawks is priority 1 when Dixie's carried by him, so be careful when using this.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I agree with Reila. Seth did a great job running this thread and if he wants to continue in the Group that'd be cool. If not, I don't mind starting the thread over there; I'll mostly copy and paste Seth's OP and add the last batch of my illustrations.

With that said it's time to move onto another moveset idea. We're getting airborne ahead of schedule, so let's leave the ground for a bit and allow me to show you her...

Up Special: Squawks

One of the DKC series' most popular Animal Buddy pops in to help Dixie recover. While holding her with his talons, Squawks can fly freely and carry Dixie to safety; each time you press B or the Jump Button, Squawks flaps his wings and goes higher. It works like Kirby's multiple jumps--or more accurately, Squawks controls almost exactly like he did in DKC2, but with some differences.

For starters, Squawks doesn't vomit nuts at threats--making him defenseless, and Dixie's damage percentage affects his mobility. He can't carry you so quickly if you're at or near 0%, meaning he'll tire fast and struggle to stay in the air. As he loses his stamina, he'll begin to fall faster as time passes, no matter how many times he flaps his wings. Eventually, his fluttering will go from allowing you to go higher, to maintaining a certain height, to simply stalling your inevitable return to land. The flaps are infinite, but it's really weighed down by the circumstance. He won't let you go until you touch the ground, or if you--as well as any enemies--make him let you go.

Does that deflate your enthusiasm? Well don't let it bother you too much, because the higher your damage percentage, the longer it takes for Squawks to get exhausted! He'll move a bit faster too--not Lucario levels of speed but not too bad either. A Dixie Kong at 999% damage won't be forced to return to the ground for quite a while, but when you're at THAT damage threshold, does it even matter how long you can stay airborne? Also, in the interests of fair play, this mechanic is nerfed considerably during Sudden Death Matches--we wouldn't want Dixie pulling a Sonic and hiding under the stage forever...

Basically this Special's better when Dixie's hurting, but why? Because the higher your damage percent, the easier it is to launch you, and if it's easier to knock you away then it must be easier to carry you too! This makes your damage a bit beneficial, but I wouldn't play recklessly, because Squawks can get hit...

...Leaving you completely helpless. He'll vanish in a puff of feathers and smoke like most enemies in DKCTF, and you'll fall. Dixie can also get hit while he carries her; Squawks will let her go and fly off the screen, but she'll be able to use "A-Button" Attacks and her Glide-like ability. Specials won't be available until she touches the ground. She can even let go of Squawks by Air-Dodging or pressing the Attack button at any time, in which case she won't be able to use her pseudo-Glide, but since her Up Air nearly stops her in place for a few seconds like Fox's aerial Down B, she might figure something out.

That's the idea for Squawks. Hopefully the concept doesn't make him seem too overpowered. The idea is giving Dixie infinite but heavily regulated jumps, with restrictions that slowly and steadily decrease with more damage taken. It should be very difficult to survive to the point where these jumps keep her in the air for dozens of minutes, so making it to 999% damage should be a near-impossible reward of exhaustion-free flight. It's obvious that attacking the already-defenseless Squawks is priority 1 when Dixie's carried by him, so be careful when using this.
I'm getting a mix of Olimar and Villagers up specials out of this given the ability to act out of it and the fact that you have to press the button multiple times to go up, I like the idea but it feels a little uninspired although I guess changing height based on damage sets it apart enough but I think something with the nuts would help differentiate it a bit more, it's fine as it is though

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm getting a mix of Olimar and Villagers up specials out of this given the ability to act out of it and the fact that you have to press the button multiple times to go up, I like the idea but it feels a little uninspired although I guess changing height based on damage sets it apart enough but I think something with the nuts would help differentiate it a bit more, it's fine as it is though
Thanks for the feedback. I took inspiration from Villager and I figured I'd cut Squawks's attack out the equation to give her an aerial weakness. Her "Glide" allows her to attack while still using it and I gave her 2 aerial grabs, plus an attack that disrupts her fallspeed, so I chose to let this mainly be about altitude. I definitely see what you mean though--without the damage mechanic it is pretty basic and I thank you for sharing your impressions. It's no biggie of course, but you might not find the Down Special too interesting.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Dixie Kong Moveset

Dixie Kong is a more defensive oriented grappler. She cannot run as fast as DK or Diddy or jump as high as the boys, but she has two projectiles, long-ranged hair attacks, and other means of approaching rather than a full on sprint. Her neutral (A) gives her a boost of air speed as she twirls her hair, able-ling her to navigate the skies. Her Up B doubles as a grab.
Ground Attacks
(A) Butt Bounce - Pivots her hips forward to deliver a hit with her butt. Keeps opponents away with good knockback.

Dash (A) Pony Twirl – Just like in Donkey Kong 2, she propels herself forward while spinning her hair.

Tilt (A) Launch Kick - Supports her body with a one hand, as she kicks forward with both feet and then slinks back into a standing position.

Crouch: Dixie lowers herself on all fours with her head tilted and her long ponytail laying on the floor trailing behind her body. She can crawl.

Down (A) Ponytail Sweep - Swishes her pony tail forward low on the floor. The tip pushes away, the middle pops the enemy, and the base can trip if hit just right.

Up (A) Pony Flip - Supports her body by curving her ponytail into a flexible ‘S’, and performs a flip up and over her hair with one leg extra extended. A big hit box that connects all around her.

Up Smash Spring Kick - Looks at screen and propels herself upwards with her ponytail, coiled like a spring. She performs an upside down kick with both her legs at the apex and then returns to the floor.

Down Smash Pony Slap -Jolts her neck to the side and slaps her ponytail hard against the floor behind her, then jolts her neck to the other side slapping the floor once more with her ponytail. Good clear move and could KO at higher percentages

Forward Smash Batters Up - Spins and swings her ponytail forwards like a bat. The knockback is stronger at the base.

Aerial Attacks
Forward Aerial: Leans back and does a succession of bicycle kicks (five total kicks, last hits the hardest)

Down Aerial: Looks at screen and slaps downward with both open palms, which leads into a somersault and another double open palm slap.

Up Aerial: Throws her hair out in a quick fan-like motion above her. The strongest part is the middle of the animation when the ponytail is directly above her. Good range.

Back Aerial: Locks hands together forming a hammerfist and flips backwards smashing her interlocked hands on the opponent's head. Hits down and away.

Neutral Aerial: A quick revolving spin that hits with her hair. Gives her extra air speed during the attack to move left or right. This allows her to replicate her slow descent ability in the DK games.

Special Attacks
(B) Gumball Popgun – Press of (B) shoots a high bouncing gumball that has low stun and low damage. Holding B will cause the gumball to bounce higher and have higher stun.

If the max charge is reach, Dixie unloads a mass of gumballs in front of her on the floor in a puddle. If anyone walks or runs over the gumballs, they will trip and scatter the gumballs off the screen.

Toward (B) Hair-propulsion – Dixie Kong’s hair whirls behind her like a fan, propelling her forwards the distance of Fox’s illusion and leaving a jet stream behind her that could push back.

A press of any button, will have Dixie Kong perform a punch and end the animation. The punch is strongest when used at the last moment and weakest when used right away. Dixie goes into free fall afterwards.

Down (B)
Barrel Roll – A barrel puffs into existence below Dixie. She runs in place on top of the barrel as it shoots forward. Dixie can jump off the barrel, however the barrel does more damage to the opponent if Dixie is on top.

If used in air, the Dixie will descend downwards at a 45 degree angle while running on top of her barrel. The barrel will either:

1) Bounce once and then roll on the floor if the move is used if Dixie has not used any jumps.

2) Bounce once and then crash onto the floor causing splash damage if Dixie has used one jump.

3) Crash onto the floor with greater knockback to an enemy if Dixie has used two jumps.

Up (B)
Hair-copter – Dixie does a powerful twirl and then shoots up with her hair spinning like a helicopter blade. She rises, with her hair performing multiple hits before she free falls.

However, the initial twirl is a grab. If an opponent is hit, the end of her ponytail wraps around them and her spin attacks hit harder against other enemies as she rises. At her peak ascent she throws the opponent horizontally behind her.

Throws
Dixie reaches out with her hands.

(A) Head bang – Performs an ongoing head bang as if in a metal concert, smashing her head into her opponent.

Forward Throw – Her forward throw is similar to DK’s cargo throw. She picks her enemy up off the ground and above her head just like she holds barrels in the DK games. She then could walk and jump and throw her opponent is any cardinal direction.

Back Throw – Turns around and tosses the enemy away with both hands. A weak toss.

Down Throw – Grabs her enemy’s legs with her hair and smashes them behind her on the floor and then in front of her, which pops them up. Does very good damage.

Up Throw – Grabs her enemy’s legs with her hair and tosses them high above her head.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
No word from Seth yet guys and gals. I messaged him a day back but I'll wait a few hours to transfer the thread over.

Dixie Kong Moveset

Dixie Kong is a more defensive oriented grappler. She cannot run as fast as DK or Diddy or jump as high as the boys, but she has two projectiles, long-ranged hair attacks, and other means of approaching rather than a full on sprint. Her neutral (A) gives her a boost of air speed as she twirls her hair, able-ling her to navigate the skies. Her Up B doubles as a grab.
Ground Attacks
(A) Butt Bounce - Pivots her hips forward to deliver a hit with her butt. Keeps opponents away with good knockback.

Dash (A) Pony Twirl – Just like in Donkey Kong 2, she propels herself forward while spinning her hair.

Tilt (A) Launch Kick - Supports her body with a one hand, as she kicks forward with both feet and then slinks back into a standing position.

Crouch: Dixie lowers herself on all fours with her head tilted and her long ponytail laying on the floor trailing behind her body. She can crawl.

Down (A) Ponytail Sweep - Swishes her pony tail forward low on the floor. The tip pushes away, the middle pops the enemy, and the base can trip if hit just right.

Up (A) Pony Flip - Supports her body by curving her ponytail into a flexible ‘S’, and performs a flip up and over her hair with one leg extra extended. A big hit box that connects all around her.

Up Smash Spring Kick - Looks at screen and propels herself upwards with her ponytail, coiled like a spring. She performs an upside down kick with both her legs at the apex and then returns to the floor.

Down Smash Pony Slap -Jolts her neck to the side and slaps her ponytail hard against the floor behind her, then jolts her neck to the other side slapping the floor once more with her ponytail. Good clear move and could KO at higher percentages

Forward Smash Batters Up - Spins and swings her ponytail forwards like a bat. The knockback is stronger at the base.

Aerial Attacks
Forward Aerial: Leans back and does a succession of bicycle kicks (five total kicks, last hits the hardest)

Down Aerial: Looks at screen and slaps downward with both open palms, which leads into a somersault and another double open palm slap.

Up Aerial: Throws her hair out in a quick fan-like motion above her. The strongest part is the middle of the animation when the ponytail is directly above her. Good range.

Back Aerial: Locks hands together forming a hammerfist and flips backwards smashing her interlocked hands on the opponent's head. Hits down and away.

Neutral Aerial: A quick revolving spin that hits with her hair. Gives her extra air speed during the attack to move left or right. This allows her to replicate her slow descent ability in the DK games.

Special Attacks
(B) Gumball Popgun – Press of (B) shoots a high bouncing gumball that has low stun and low damage. Holding B will cause the gumball to bounce higher and have higher stun.

If the max charge is reach, Dixie unloads a mass of gumballs in front of her on the floor in a puddle. If anyone walks or runs over the gumballs, they will trip and scatter the gumballs off the screen.

Toward (B) Hair-propulsion – Dixie Kong’s hair whirls behind her like a fan, propelling her forwards the distance of Fox’s illusion and leaving a jet stream behind her that could push back.

A press of any button, will have Dixie Kong perform a punch and end the animation. The punch is strongest when used at the last moment and weakest when used right away. Dixie goes into free fall afterwards.

Down (B)
Barrel Roll – A barrel puffs into existence below Dixie. She runs in place on top of the barrel as it shoots forward. Dixie can jump off the barrel, however the barrel does more damage to the opponent if Dixie is on top.

If used in air, the Dixie will descend downwards at a 45 degree angle while running on top of her barrel. The barrel will either:

1) Bounce once and then roll on the floor if the move is used if Dixie has not used any jumps.

2) Bounce once and then crash onto the floor causing splash damage if Dixie has used one jump.

3) Crash onto the floor with greater knockback to an enemy if Dixie has used two jumps.

Up (B)
Hair-copter – Dixie does a powerful twirl and then shoots up with her hair spinning like a helicopter blade. She rises, with her hair performing multiple hits before she free falls.

However, the initial twirl is a grab. If an opponent is hit, the end of her ponytail wraps around them and her spin attacks hit harder against other enemies as she rises. At her peak ascent she throws the opponent horizontally behind her.

Throws
Dixie reaches out with her hands.

(A) Head bang – Performs an ongoing head bang as if in a metal concert, smashing her head into her opponent.

Forward Throw – Her forward throw is similar to DK’s cargo throw. She picks her enemy up off the ground and above her head just like she holds barrels in the DK games. She then could walk and jump and throw her opponent is any cardinal direction.

Back Throw – Turns around and tosses the enemy away with both hands. A weak toss.

Down Throw – Grabs her enemy’s legs with her hair and smashes them behind her on the floor and then in front of her, which pops them up. Does very good damage.

Up Throw – Grabs her enemy’s legs with her hair and tosses them high above her head.
Good job! You've given her a pretty distinct feel and I for one would like playing as her with this moveset. I'm really liking your Side B idea, not just for the forward momentum but also the jet stream. I kinda wish I thought of that lol. The barrel roll and Neutral Air are pretty interesting too--having the NAir replicate her famous glide is a nice surprise.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
http://smashboards.com/threads/doub...s-second-support-thread.422182/#post-20381686

I've created the new Dixie thread and added Bowserlick Bowserlick 's moveset to the OP. There's about 1 min left before these threads all lock down, so I think this a fitting last post. Thank you all for posting in this thread with all the discussions and ideas, and thank you A Distant Demon A Distant Demon for giving us another home for the blonde kong. I hope to see you all over at Dixie's new Kong Barrel. Let's keep the enthusiasm alive!

Top Bottom