• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Cappy: John Raimi from Geist

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Previously titled, "That's Not All, Volks!" this was a thread I made several years ago. With Smash for Switch on the horizon, I was so excited to bring it back. I hope you enjoy. :)

John Raimi specializes in bio and chemical threats, and is asked for assistance by the fictitious CR-2 government branch in a raid/investigation. During the events of Geist his spirit was ripped from his body after being taken hostage by the Volks Corporation. While in his ghost form, he could possess objects and scare people—thereby allowing him to possess their bodies. John Raimi is somewhat of your prototypical Nintendo character insofar as he's the strong silent type (though he did have to do some pretty un-Nintendo actions in order to get his body back). Raimi could be an unique, versatile, and unexpected addition to the Smash Bros. roster.

Special: “Object Possess”
Raimi’s spirit leaves and goes towards an object (Pokeball, Sword, Party Ball, etc.). The spirit travels much faster than Raimi and can use the object on-the-spot or carry it back to Raimi, depending on the item. The downside is that this leaves Raimi’s physical body vulnerable to attack (which would accrue damage and negate the spirit).

Up Special: “Grappling hook”
In the opening scene of Geist, Raimi was lowered into the Volks Compound via a wire suspended by a helicopter. He almost escapes the Volks compound after the mission is seemingly accomplished by the same wire, but then all the ghost-stuff happens. This will act similar to Olimar's Brawl Up Special.

Side Special: “Spirit Grenade”
A lobbing grenade that releases a green gaseous mixture to temporarily stun the spirit out of an opponent, in order to advance his attacks. (This was a weapon used against spirits in the multiplayer mode).

Down Special: “Scare”
Raimi ducks down and his spirit pops up, This will be similar to Wario’s…uh, gastro-intestinal move. The longer you don’t use it, the larger the spirit appears and more powerful the attack is.

Final Smash: “Hijack"
Raimi’s spirit possesses an opponent, has them shake and pound themselves on the ground, with the final pound sending them flying.

Or ...

"Ethereal Blast"
In the final boss of Geist, Raimi's spirit releases a barrage of red energy masses (ethereal blasts) to defeat his enemy. In Smash Bros., the spirit can perform this over Raimi's physical body (similar to Mario's Final Smash in Brawl) or to be more reminiscent of the actual game, an over-the-shoulder or first person view (akin to Zero Suit Samus) can pinpoint where the blasts should go.

John Rami's Smash symbol:

The "Double-V" insignia of the Volks Corporation, who developed the technology to separate a spirit from a physical body.

Kirby Hat:

Entrance: Raimi is lowered in by a helicopter ladder.

Taunts:
Up - Raimi's spirit leaves his body momentarily, and then re-enters--giving Raimi's body a jolt in the process.
Side - Raimi does his hand signal that he and his friend Bryson do; think of it as a half-Vulcan/half-victory sign.
Down - The ghost of Gigi (a spirt helper and little girl) passes by Raimi when his back is turned, saying, "Raaaiiimmmiii," briefly frightening him.

Stage: Helicopter Pad
Raimi stops Project-Z by shooting down a helicopter full of "spectral operatives" en-route to ruin a Paris summit...but that doesn't mean those aboard are dead. The Smash Bros. stage would recreate the scene by having the combatants battle in front of a burning helicopter. Every so often a red spirit will emerge from the wreckage and possess or push combatants into flames located at the sides of the main stage. On either side of the stage will be a drop-off/edge with a platform on one side and perhaps on on the top (hanging from a crane). In the background will be another flying helicopter with Raimi's friend, Bryson, in it...only to have it shot down and reappear. (It's kind of Bryson's schtick--the man just won't quit!)

Assist Trophy: Wraith
Wraith--the spider-like, black wisp of a demon--will possess a random character, causing them to act erratically (not unlike how a character would control with Luigi's Negative Zone Final Smash), allowing them to be more vulnerable to attack.

Trophies:
  • Raimi
  • Final Smash
  • Thomas Bryson
  • Anna
  • Phantom (dog)
  • Alexander Volks
  • Gigi Volks
  • Volks Demon
  • Wraith
  • Rourke
Music:
Main Theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nW2mi3Fpdo&feature=youtu.be
Fighting Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztto0k5DcZA&feature=youtu.be
Tension Building https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Usc1l1mCkM&feature=youtu.be
Flying Solo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN1KOdWYzDk&feature=youtu.be
Menu Theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8mJhbwxghI&feature=youtu.be

Character Selection SFX
Object Possess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxbd59fsnhg&feature=youtu.be

Potential Intro:
Luigi is sneaking through a haunted house with his Poltergust, at the same time Pac-Man is gobbling up pellets and ghosts. The two of them converge, but in the middle of them is the spirit of Raimi who gives them a frightening face and howl. Pac-Man and Luigi stumble backwards.

The two of them look up to see the ghost slip into the body of a human (the human's back is turned to them. The human turns around to reveal himself to be John Raimi. Raimi brings his hand to his ear as if receiving a message, gives a hand signal that him and his friend Bryson do, and his spirit pops out on top. The still image of Raimi and his spirit-self appears with the tag-line: Raimi Spooks the Competition!

(Thanks to evilwaluigi@deviantart, and Bluesorrow for some ideas/reminders!)

(I realize Raimi wasn't the original Cappy per as, with Messiah on PC and a similar possession game on Game Boy.)

Attachments

Last edited:

SuperPhil64

Smash Rookie
I'd love to see Nintendo acknowledge Geist's existence again. John Raimi would make a decent replacement for Snake, at least in that he's a human character from a game about infiltrating a facility and who handles real life weapons. : P

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to see Nintendo acknowledge Geist's existence again. John Raimi would make a decent replacement for Snake, at least in that he's a human character from a game about infiltrating a facility and who handles real life weapons. : P
I recently checked the United States patent website and Geist is listed as a "dead" trademark (fitting though, really). Unfortunately, it doesnt appear Nintendo has any plans to resurrect this game, be it a new game, port, and especially a Smash character. :(

SuperPhil64

Smash Rookie
I recently checked the United States patent website and Geist is listed as a "dead" trademark (fitting though, really). Unfortunately, it doesnt appear Nintendo has any plans to resurrect this game, be it a new game, port, and especially a Smash character. :(
That's unfortunate... they at least keep renewing the Eternal Darkness trademark even if they don't do anything with it. : \
Maybe some day It will be like one of these retro series that gets a surprise revival. Kinda like how Kid Icarus disappeared for 20 years before returning on 3DS. Heck and that was thanks to a Smash appearance. Maybe we'll luck out and Sakurai will discover Geist haha.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
John Raimi would be a great "what the heck" character, count me in as a supporter for him.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
I support John!

Time to steal the trademark and make a new Geist game.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I've been wanting this guy in for a long time. It's a long shot, but he'd certainly bring something to the table no-one else could.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I still support Jonathan Raimi!

You know, when Super Mario Odyssey first revealed its gimmick, I legit half-expected SOME nod to Jonathan to be made. Most likely in the form of his bio-suit being an outfit for Mario to wear!

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I still support Jonathan Raimi!

You know, when Super Mario Odyssey first revealed its gimmick, I legit half-expected SOME nod to Jonathan to be made. Most likely in the form of his bio-suit being an outfit for Mario to wear!
Thank you so much for the support. It would have been nice to give a nod to him in Odyssey. While I think he could be very unique, which is what Sakurai looks for, I'm sure many even in Nintendo have forgotten about this game.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Thank you so much for the support. It would have been nice to give a nod to him in Odyssey. While I think he could be very unique, which is what Sakurai looks for, I'm sure many even in Nintendo have forgotten about this game.
Remind me, was Geist released in Japan? I ask due to Jonathan's chances for Smash (playable or not).

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I am not sure it on the Japanese release and doubt we would had gotten a reference in Odyssey. Gee seeing that the rights are expired, I doubt we will see anything on it.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Remind me, was Geist released in Japan? I ask due to Jonathan's chances for Smash (playable or not).
Yeah, it never did get a release in Japan. It not even having sticker in Brawl dashed my hopes of ever seeing him in Smash...but a man can dream. ;)

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Personally, I'd rather have Raimi exist soley in the spirit form. That's how most people think of him anyway.

Abade

Smash Apprentice
All this "spirit" talk is suppose to be a big part of Super Smash Bros Ultimate and yet John Raimi is unseen. What is going on!? Is he behind all this? :glare:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I bought this game at full price, completely blind. Why? Because I'm dumb, was suckered into the awesome concept without any prior research. Turned out to be a sucky game. Raimi is bottom-of-the-barrel.

Geist is kind of a blemish on Nintendo and I would rather forget it exists.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’ve played a bit of Geist, was a lot of fun. I support, even if I don’t know how he’d play.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, I've been thinking about Geist today, and how Smash Ultimate's Spirits will be playing a fairly big role in the game.

This being said, I've been wondering... will Nintendo characters who HAVEN'T had Japanese releases of their games be in Ultimate? Cause I haven't seen any so far. That said, I can't even begin to describe the irony of Jonathan Raimi being a Spirit in more ways than one now.

If Jon does happen to be a Spirit, I imagine him possessing a clone of Luigi (wearing his orange outfit, no less).

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Just wanted to revive (ironic, huh?) this long-dead thread. If anyone could inform of this, did Geist get any mention in Brawl?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Geist was in the Chronicle.
Ah, so it really is in the same position as StarTropics and Gumshoe. That said, I wonder if Nintendo still at least owns the IP. I mean, I know it was developed by a different company, but still...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ah, so it really is in the same position as StarTropics and Gumshoe. That said, I wonder if Nintendo still at least owns the IP. I mean, I know it was developed by a different company, but still...
It was developed by Silicon Knights, right? Since they developed Eternal Darkness and Nintendo kept that IP, I'd imagine it's the same with Geist.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It was developed by Silicon Knights, right? Since they developed Eternal Darkness and Nintendo kept that IP, I'd imagine it's the same with Geist.
No... I think it was developed by another company, n-Space. Unfortunately, they (n-Space) shut down about 3 years ago. However, according to an interview from 2005 with some of the folks who worked on Geist, anything and everything related to that game is fully owned by Nintendo.

So... yeah. Different developers, but otherwise? Geist is in about the same boat as (ironically enough) Eternal Darkness (What with both games being M-rated Nintendo IPs that they (Nintendo) still own, but haven't done anything with after their initial games).

Last edited:
Top Bottom