• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Orange Stars Double Time Commander - Sami leads the charge!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Giving this thread a bump.

I find it really odd that Sami wasn't given a Spirit in Ultimate. You would think she and Max would get Spirits being among the main characters of the series right? On top of that, Eagle & Olaf, secondary characters in Advance Wars are given Spirits instead. The whole situation is bizarre to me but accounting for the cut Assist Trophy and lack of any Mii Costume, I believe the series has a chance for DLC.

I'm holding out hope for Andy to be Challenger Pack 4 but i'll also gladly accept Sami as the AW representative. I just want this series to finally get it's day in Smash so i'm not picky on who represents the series.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Looking at things now, I'm wondering if Sami (and the Wars series as a whole) may have a chance for Smash, what with that Wars mobile game rumor...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Looking at things now, I'm wondering if Sami (and the Wars series as a whole) may have a chance for Smash, what with that Wars mobile game rumor...
I suspect they'll have a fair chance if it wounds up happening. Mobile is a very lucrative market for Nintendo and Advance Wars has the long-running history going back to 1988 not to mention it's critical acclaim. With that in mind, it would be a very justifiable pick for DLC.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Originally posted this in other threads, posting this here by request of smashkirby smashkirby and because I think it fits well here.
Author is FolderBrad of Resetera.

Original Source of post.

Can anyone think of a more surprising omission from Smash than the (Advance) Wars series?

1587600896706.png

"
This is about more than a playable fighter. No stage? Over 800 tracks, and not a single piece of music? Sure, there are a couple of Spirits. But even the most obscure, random, and 3rd party games got Spirits. Characters that were not even on Nintendo systems got those I think. Advance Wars had a SINGLE assist trophy, and it was one of the few that were REMOVED. Removed from the most comprehensive collection of Smash history? Why?

But this is Advance Wars. A Nintendo made series that goes all the way back to the Famicom. Long running, and with spinoffs. TWELVE games! Twelve games across Famicom, Super Famicom, Game Boy, GBA, NDS, Gamcube, and Wii. I get that it might not be super popular in Japan, or had any recent entries. But there is some OBSCURE stuff with songs in this game. Electroplankton has a stage! There is music from Culdcept and Jam With the Band. A song from Soma Bringer? A Captain Rainbow song? I could keep going.

Advance Wars is filled with colorful characters and wonderful music. It was VERY well received on the GBA and DS. Most would call them must own games of those very successful Nintendo systems.

And the series is made by Intelligent System. It's often considered the sister series to Fire Emblem. Yes, Fire Emblem is a lot more popular. Especially these days. But Fire Emblem has SEVEN (This post was before Byleth was announced) EIGHT fighters, three assist trophies, stages, music tracks... It's got it all. In all this time, was no one at Intelligent Systems trying to pitch some Advance Wars stuff? There are Codename STEAM songs in this game FFS.

I tried to reason that maybe it had to do with content. Like, maybe war was too out of place in Smash? But if Snake is shooting rockets and throwing grenades, I'm not sure why we can't have Andy doing the same.

It's one thing to feel left out of the party. And i know there are fans out there who feel snubbed. But this isn't a 3rd party series we are discussing. It's actually confusing. Does Sakurai secretly hate the series? I'm actually surprised they didn't have a fighter in the series sooner than now.

Some could argue that maybe Andy or someone else could come as DLC. But with the recent announcement of Joker and the wording that was used after, I'm not so sure. It sounds like DLC is going to be a popularity contest. And most likely, more 3rd party. (This post was before Byleth and ARMS were announced).

Can anyone think of an exclusion that makes even LESS sense?
"

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Originally posted this in other threads, posting this here by request of smashkirby smashkirby and because I think it fits well here.

Original Source of post.

Can anyone think of a more surprising omission from Smash than the (Advance) Wars series?

View attachment 269961

"
This is about more than a playable fighter. No stage? Over 800 tracks, and not a single piece of music? Sure, there are a couple of Spirits. But even the most obscure, random, and 3rd party games got Spirits. Characters that were not even on Nintendo systems got those I think. Advance Wars had a SINGLE assist trophy, and it was one of the few that were REMOVED. Removed from the most comprehensive collection of Smash history? Why?

But this is Advance Wars. A Nintendo made series that goes all the way back to the Famicom. Long running, and with spinoffs. TWELVE games! Twelve games across Famicom, Super Famicom, Game Boy, GBA, NDS, Gamcube, and Wii. I get that it might not be super popular in Japan, or had any recent entries. But there is some OBSCURE stuff with songs in this game. Electroplankton has a stage! There is music from Culdcept and Jam With the Band. A song from Soma Bringer? A Captain Rainbow song? I could keep going.

Advance Wars is filled with colorful characters and wonderful music. It was VERY well received on the GBA and DS. Most would call them must own games of those very successful Nintendo systems.

And the series is made by Intelligent System. It's often considered the sister series to Fire Emblem. Yes, Fire Emblem is a lot more popular. Especially these days. But Fire Emblem has SEVEN (This post was before Byleth was announced) EIGHT fighters, three assist trophies, stages, music tracks... It's got it all. In all this time, was no one at Intelligent Systems trying to pitch some Advance Wars stuff? There are Codename STEAM songs in this game FFS.

I tried to reason that maybe it had to do with content. Like, maybe war was too out of place in Smash? But if Snake is shooting rockets and throwing grenades, I'm not sure why we can't have Andy doing the same.

It's one thing to feel left out of the party. And i know there are fans out there who feel snubbed. But this isn't a 3rd party series we are discussing. It's actually confusing. Does Sakurai secretly hate the series? I'm actually surprised they didn't have a fighter in the series sooner than now.

Some could argue that maybe Andy or someone else could come as DLC. But with the recent announcement of Joker and the wording that was used after, I'm not so sure. It sounds like DLC is going to be a popularity contest. And most likely, more 3rd party. (This post was before Byleth and ARMS were announced).

"
Once again, if only it was possible to like something on this site more than once...

I mean, really? Not even Sami and/or Max? Like, how does that even happen?

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

Original Source of post.

View attachment 269961

"

"
I'd say Excitebike is an exclusion that makes less sense because how iconic it is. Basically it's in the same boat as Advance Wars in terms of content (well lack thereof) for a long running Nintendo series.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Necro-bump for the glorious return of our commanding officer!

Also Fio from Metal Slug returning in her own tactics game. It'd be fitting if they did a Simon/Richter thing & had Sami/Fio be co-echoes/newcomers, sharing the same military-themed moveset.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Hello! I'm enlisting as a supporter over here too. Sami not having a spirit in Ultimate is very weird - I don't think it means much for odds of becoming playable when we've had 3 spirit upgrades already - but I do hope AW's remake at least is used as an excuse to flesh out the spirits in-game if nothing else...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's cool man, I agree Andy is the one they would choose, I just personally prefer Sami and want to gather those who would support her inclusion. Nothing against Andy at all, I'd be stoked for either of them to show up
I'd prefer a character that showcases all the main aspects of the game... not just 1/3 of it.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I’ve never played the games so I’m very excited to get Re-Boot Camp and experience it for the first time. But just looking at the trailer and art design I think I’d prefer Sami over Andy as a smash bros rep. Correct me if I’m wrong but Sami seems to be more of a badass (toting a heavy machine gun) on par with Samus and we could certainly use more dangerous ladies on the roster.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, just figured I would show off something my brother made that might be enjoyed by you all. He does remixes of video game music for consoles the game never actually released on, and he did Sami's theme in NES style as one of his E3 specials.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Must suck even more to be a Japanese AW fan, they barely even got released there.

PS Domino is Sami's name in Japan for those confused.
I mean they did get the first half of the series (just like with Fire Emblem). It's called Famicom Wars over there for a reason. I know the first two GBA games got delayed for a couple years and all, but they still got it (as part of a compilation no less), and yet they still have every game in the series over there in one way or another unlike us (although I'll admit making Days of Ruin a Club Nintendo exclusive is weird).

I do get your point though, I hope that Reboot Camp is announced for Japan sooner rather than later.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean they did get the first half of the series (just like with Fire Emblem). It's called Famicom Wars over there for a reason. I know the first two GBA games got delayed for a couple years and all, but they still got it (as part of a compilation no less), and yet they still have every game in the series over there in one way or another unlike us (although I'll admit making Days of Ruin a Club Nintendo exclusive is weird).

I do get your point though, I hope that Reboot Camp is announced for Japan sooner rather than later.
There was a cult following in Japan that imported the GBA games before they actually got JP releases. Hope that following has US Eshop accounts.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
There's some talk in the Andy thread about the next fighter reveal possibly lining up with Re-Boot Camp's release and thus the fighter being a rep from Advance Wars to cross promote. I'm all for it but what are the odds that Sami supplants Andy as the rep? Do we need to rely on another Min Min scenario where the game creator chimes in and specifically requests her?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There's some talk in the Andy thread about the next fighter reveal possibly lining up with Re-Boot Camp's release and thus the fighter being a rep from Advance Wars to cross promote. I'm all for it but what are the odds that Sami supplants Andy as the rep? Do we need to rely on another Min Min scenario where the game creator chimes in and specifically requests her?
Well, I should clarify that i'm not saying it's a 100% certainty that we get an Advance Wars character to promote Reboot Camp but there's absolutely a chance. And it's not just promotion mind you, the Wars series has a strong legacy on Nintendo systems and Advance Wars is one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time. That's not even getting in to the moveset potential this franchise would have with a playable character in Smash.

As to your point, it wouldn't surprise me to see Sami or Nell get in over Andy (even though i'm hoping that doesn't happen personally). We already saw Min-Min get over Springman and Pyra/Mythra dumping Rex so it would follow suit to what's been going on in this Pass.

Honestly, I just want this franchise represented in Smash period. If it's not Andy and it's Sami or Nell, then i'd have to accept it. Franchise representation is more important, IMO.

With that being said, I think a 3 in 1 fighter (Andy, Sami, & Max) would be the best way to represent the series if Andy doesn't get in solo. It could be a big selling point for the character and appeal to fans of all three characters.

amageish

Smash Master
As Ura said, I guess it'd fit the motif of going with popular secondary characters this pass, but I think the most likely outcome where Sami gets in is if they make some sort of semi-generic unit-summoning moveset that can be shared by several members of Team Orange Star...

I'm not particularly confidant in any particular fighter for the final slot, but I do hope the remake is taken as an excuse to buff up the AW content in Smash, one way or another.

Reactions: Ura

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
As Ura said, I guess it'd fit the motif of going with popular secondary characters this pass, but I think the most likely outcome where Sami gets in is if they make some sort of semi-generic unit-summoning moveset that can be shared by several members of Team Orange Star...

I'm not particularly confidant in any particular fighter for the final slot, but I do hope the remake is taken as an excuse to buff up the AW content in Smash, one way or another.
I think a 3 in 1 fighter would be something like the 3 Orange Star CO's having similar special moves (deploying units and all) but having different melee attacks. And all 3 fighters would borrow some moves from other fighters to save development time.

Andy's wrench attacks would largely be based on :ultpit:&:ultyounglink:

Sami's hand to hand combat would be based on :ultsnake:&:ultzss:

Max' slow but powerful attacks would be based on :ultfalcon:&:ultlittlemac:

But the three CO's would all have similar specials as I mentioned before which would involve purchasing units of all the sort.

As to your point if it'll happen or not, there's a chance but i'm not entirely confident. It's not just promotion mind you. Granted, Reboot Camp happening in December definitely helps our cause but Wars has a rich history and legacy on Nintendo systems that separates it from all the other 1st party series not in Smash Bros. I think Relevance + Promotion + Legacy + Moveset Potential is enough to carry this franchise even if requests lack compared to other characters. And yeah, a Challenger Pack would be the best way to remedy the lackluster representation this franchise had in the base game and would make up for losing it's Assist Trophy.

Top Bottom